Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
post #14491 of 14493 Unread Yesterday, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WACX in Orlando, FL, WNCN in Raleigh, NC, WHFL-CD in Goldsboro, NC, WTSF in Ashland, KY, and WNYI in Ithaca, NY will move from UHF to VHF. To accommodate them, there's a ripple of channel changes stretching from Orlando to Canada.

The question you're asking, I think, is why WJZ moves from 13 to 11 and WBAL from 11 to 12, when it might appear to make more sense to move WJZ from 13 to 12 directly. The answer is that WVPT in Staunton got moved from 11 to 12, and WVPT is currently co-channel with WBAL; in the repacking process, the FCC permitted existing short-spacings (or short-spacing equivalents) to continue, but did not create new ones. As such, WJZ and WVPT cannot be co-channel, so WJZ couldn't move to 12. WBAL had to be swapped to 12 to maintain the short-spacing with WVPT, and WJZ got dropped on the now-more open channel 11.

If I've lost you, I can try again.

- Trip
After reading this super slowly, I think I got it! But Staunton, VA is so far away from Baltimore, MD, and since WBAL and WJZ are on the same transmitter (TV Hill) it just seems like it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks, Trip, for the detailed explanation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 14493 Unread Today, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
After reading this super slowly, I think I got it! But Staunton, VA is so far away from Baltimore, MD, and since WBAL and WJZ are on the same transmitter (TV Hill) it just seems like it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks, Trip, for the detailed explanation!
I decided to double-check my work this morning and I was wrong. WVPT was not the deciding factor--WVEC in Norfolk was. It got moved from 13 to 11. Since WJZ and WVEC are already co-channel, while WBAL is not co-channel with a Norfolk station, the existing relationship had to be maintained.

Sorry about that. Same principle, different station.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14493 of 14493 Unread Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The answer is that WVPT in Staunton got moved from 11 to 12, and WVPT is currently co-channel with WBAL; in the repacking process, the FCC permitted existing short-spacings (or short-spacing equivalents) to continue, but did not create new ones.
Thanks Trip for the explanation. I wondered why there were changes like this where station A is moving to a different RF station but then station B moves to the same RF channel that station A is currently at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception