Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14491 of 14515 Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carltonrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Laurel, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
WACX in Orlando, FL, WNCN in Raleigh, NC, WHFL-CD in Goldsboro, NC, WTSF in Ashland, KY, and WNYI in Ithaca, NY will move from UHF to VHF. To accommodate them, there's a ripple of channel changes stretching from Orlando to Canada.

The question you're asking, I think, is why WJZ moves from 13 to 11 and WBAL from 11 to 12, when it might appear to make more sense to move WJZ from 13 to 12 directly. The answer is that WVPT in Staunton got moved from 11 to 12, and WVPT is currently co-channel with WBAL; in the repacking process, the FCC permitted existing short-spacings (or short-spacing equivalents) to continue, but did not create new ones. As such, WJZ and WVPT cannot be co-channel, so WJZ couldn't move to 12. WBAL had to be swapped to 12 to maintain the short-spacing with WVPT, and WJZ got dropped on the now-more open channel 11.

If I've lost you, I can try again.

- Trip
After reading this super slowly, I think I got it! But Staunton, VA is so far away from Baltimore, MD, and since WBAL and WJZ are on the same transmitter (TV Hill) it just seems like it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks, Trip, for the detailed explanation!
carltonrice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14492 of 14515 Old 06-25-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
After reading this super slowly, I think I got it! But Staunton, VA is so far away from Baltimore, MD, and since WBAL and WJZ are on the same transmitter (TV Hill) it just seems like it wouldn't make much difference. Thanks, Trip, for the detailed explanation!
I decided to double-check my work this morning and I was wrong. WVPT was not the deciding factor--WVEC in Norfolk was. It got moved from 13 to 11. Since WJZ and WVEC are already co-channel, while WBAL is not co-channel with a Norfolk station, the existing relationship had to be maintained.

Sorry about that. Same principle, different station.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #14493 of 14515 Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The answer is that WVPT in Staunton got moved from 11 to 12, and WVPT is currently co-channel with WBAL; in the repacking process, the FCC permitted existing short-spacings (or short-spacing equivalents) to continue, but did not create new ones.
Thanks Trip for the explanation. I wondered why there were changes like this where station A is moving to a different RF station but then station B moves to the same RF channel that station A is currently at
unclehonkey is offline  
 
post #14494 of 14515 Old 07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carltonrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Laurel, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thumbs down Channel Repack/Sharing in Baltimore

Dave Hughes posted this on his blog...

http://www.dcrtv.com

Quote:
Sinclair Announces Channel Sharing Arrangement For Baltimore - 7/4 - Sinclair has announced its channel sharing agreement for its Baltimore station, Channel 24/WUTB, and a revised over-the-air channel lineup for its Baltimore stations, Channel 45/WBFF and Channel 54/WNUV. WUTB, Baltimore's My TV affiliate, will be on a subchannel of WNUV. The Grit and Charge channels will be gone in Baltimore for the time being. The new lineup includes: 54-1 WNUV-HD, 54-2 WUTB, 54-3 American Sports Network, 45-1 WBFF, 45-2 Comet TV, 45-3 This TV, 45-4 Antenna TV.....
So, I'm wondering if the stations who move to a subchannel like WUTB will no longer be in HD.
carltonrice is offline  
post #14495 of 14515 Old 07-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Member
 
rory21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know what's going on with DC channel 20-4, Light TV? The website has shown it as a Light TV affiliate since early 2017, but it doesn't seem the channel even exists.
rory21 is offline  
post #14496 of 14515 Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory21 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with DC channel 20-4, Light TV? The website has shown it as a Light TV affiliate since early 2017, but it doesn't seem the channel even exists.
The LightTv website is wrong. It only lists the FOX O&O stations that are suppose to carry it but other than NY & LA the only other affiliates on air are non FOX O&O
(I've been waiting in Minneapolis for it to light up too on FOX O&O KMSP)
unclehonkey is offline  
post #14497 of 14515 Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Newbie
 
pkpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Falls Church
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
The LightTv website is wrong. It only lists the FOX O&O stations that are suppose to carry it but other than NY & LA the only other affiliates on air are non FOX O&O
(I've been waiting in Minneapolis for it to light up too on FOX O&O KMSP)
Greetings all
I am seeing LightTV on 35-6 after a re-scan on two tuners. PSID says RF35-6 and screen logo says LIGHTtv. This was not there this morning.

Also
ShopLC on 31-4 with weak signal but PSID says ShopLC. This was on this morning.

anyone else?

pkpaul
Newbie in Falls Church
pkpaul is offline  
post #14498 of 14515 Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
There is no PSIP on it, thus why it's appearing as 35-6 on your receiver, but it is there now.

I can't receive WRZB-LD so I can't see what's on 31-4.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #14499 of 14515 Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Member
 
StevenJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
So, I'm wondering if the stations who move to a subchannel like WUTB will no longer be in HD.
Subchannels can be in HD. I receive MPT service from Annapolis (22), Baltimore (67), and Frederick (62). Each location broadcasts MPT-2 on its .2 subchannel. MPT-2 is broadcast in 720p HD 16:9 from each location and the main .1 channel is broadcast in 1080i HD 16:9.
TheKrell likes this.
StevenJB is offline  
post #14500 of 14515 Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
So, I'm wondering if the stations who move to a subchannel like WUTB will no longer be in HD.
yes they can. We have 3 examples like that in Minneapolis (where I live)
KTCA RF34 has 2 HD and 1 SD stations on it
2-1 PBS HD
2-4 PBSKids HD
2-5 Aeronautical weather
Their sister station KTCI (RF23) both stations are in 1080i HD
2-2 Minnesota Channel
2-3 TPT LIfe (a mix of create/kids/replays of PBS shows and some new stuff like BBC News)

WFTC RF29 which is a My station (FOX O&O) has
9-1 FOX HD
9-2 MY HD
9-3 Movies!
This is so they can get FOX & MY in HD on their translators across Northern MN (which is still the Minneapolis market). Ironically the FOX O&O (KMSP) has Buzzzr on 9-4 and FOX on 9-9 so yes in Minneapolis FOX is in HD on 2 separate RF stations.

In smaller markets where they use to be short markets (before DTV) more often both the of networks are in HD
unclehonkey is offline  
post #14501 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
pkpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Falls Church
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I can't receive WRZB-LD so I can't see what's on 31-4.

- Trip
ShopLC is a shopping channel called "Liquidation Channel". The web site doesn't mention anything about any OTA broadcast channels, only cable and satellite channels.
Channels 31.1-31.3 continue to show color bars test patterns.
pkpaul is offline  
post #14502 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 06:54 AM
Newbie
 
pkpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Falls Church
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
There is no PSIP on it, thus why it's appearing as 35-6 on your receiver, but it is there now.

- Trip
It is on 20-4 now.
pkpaul is offline  
post #14503 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Member
 
dleedlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
It is on 20-4 now.
Are you sure? I still see it on 35.6.
dleedlee is online now  
post #14504 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
Are you sure? I still see it on 35.6.
Checking now that I'm home, I see the PSIP now as well.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #14505 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
mkfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
It is on 20-4 now.
I saw it last night. But it's already joined the many other subchannels I have negative interest in....
mkfs is offline  
post #14506 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Member
 
mkfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Moves and Channels

Quote:
Sinclair Announces Channel Sharing Arrangement For Baltimore - 7/4 - Sinclair has announced its channel sharing agreement for its Baltimore station, Channel 24/WUTB, and a revised over-the-air channel lineup for its Baltimore stations, Channel 45/WBFF and Channel 54/WNUV. WUTB, Baltimore's My TV affiliate, will be on a subchannel of WNUV. The Grit and Charge channels will be gone in Baltimore for the time being. The new lineup includes: 54-1 WNUV-HD, 54-2 WUTB, 54-3 American Sports Network, 45-1 WBFF, 45-2 Comet TV, 45-3 This TV, 45-4 Antenna TV.....
Question: With repacking, do subchannels keep their virtual "channel"numbers?
I hear RF35 (20.x) was sold off and some content will be subchannels of 5.1/RF36.
Will they be rebranded as "5"?
mkfs is offline  
post #14507 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
Question: With repacking, do subchannels keep their virtual "channel"numbers?
I hear RF35 (20.x) was sold off and some content will be subchannels of 5.1/RF36.
Will they be rebranded as "5"?
They can keep them, but if they're co-owned like WTTG and WDCA, they don't have to.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #14508 of 14515 Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Member
 
mkfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
They can keep them, but if they're co-owned like WTTG and WDCA, they don't have to.

- Trip
But "channel" equals branding, & we know how beancounters covet same...
mkfs is offline  
post #14509 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carltonrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Laurel, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
Question: With repacking, do subchannels keep their virtual "channel"numbers?
I hear RF35 (20.x) was sold off and some content will be subchannels of 5.1/RF36.
Will they be rebranded as "5"?
Channel 20 is already re-branding itself as Fox 5 Plus.
carltonrice is offline  
post #14510 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Member
 
dleedlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Checking now that I'm home, I see the PSIP now as well.

- Trip
I checked the Magnavox tuner upstairs and I see it on 20.4 but the iView downstairs still recognizes as 30.6 w/o the PSIP.
But, likewise, I don't think I'll be watching this channel either.
dleedlee is online now  
post #14511 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 06:47 AM
Member
 
mkfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Channel 20 is already re-branding itself as Fox 5 Plus.
Hence my query..... Were they pushed or did they jump?
mkfs is offline  
post #14512 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carltonrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Laurel, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
Hence my query..... Were they pushed or did they jump?
It's kind of moot since both FOX 5 and DC 20 are owned by FOX and have been on the same transmission tower since the digital switch. I guess ME-TV and some of the other sub channels will be disappearing...
carltonrice is offline  
post #14513 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Member
 
mkfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
I guess ME-TV and some of the other sub channels will be disappearing...
But will they be missed?

The subchannel I wish bad things on is 4.2/COZI. They chop so much from each hour it's "Hi, this is Jim Rock.." and that's it. Whole plot points vanish like Nixon's 16 ½ minutes.

Plus the obnoxious commercials on infinite recycle; you end up with the same ones again and again and again; every break. It's clear they are hurting for revenue....
mkfs is offline  
post #14514 of 14515 Old 07-28-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
unclehonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
But "channel" equals branding, & we know how beancounters covet same...
moot point. They can call it whatever they want and have different PSIP numbers. Our FOX (KMSP) and My (WFTC) are co-owned (O&O) and even though they are on 2 separate RF numbers (9 & 29) a couple years ago they mixed the PSIP together
9-1 FOX HD (FOX 9)
9-2 MY HD (MY 29)

They still call it My 29 even though the only spots that have it on 29 is satellite and some newer cable companies.
unclehonkey is offline  
post #14515 of 14515 Old 08-02-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carltonrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Laurel, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
They still call it My 29 even though the only spots that have it on 29 is satellite and some newer cable companies.
Given the whole advent of PSIP and DTV, it's not clear to me that the channel numbers make any sense at all from a branding perspective. From a website perspective, they seem to be going with nbcwashington as opposed to nbc4. Technically, they have been on channel 4 for over a decade now and will never be back on that frequency.
carltonrice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off