Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
knnirs's Avatar knnirs 07:19 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornyank1 View Post

I actually got pretty much the same channels, 26 and 50, with the paper clip as I did with the GE Optima and the Silver Sensor. Do you think I should try a UHF loop atenna or an attenuator, or should I just give up on those OTA HD Superbowl dreams?

Have you tried using the cable and tuning with the Qam option in your TV? You should find many Qam channels connecting your TV directly to the cable outlet without the cable box. I get all of the local digital HD channels this way.

Newmie's Avatar Newmie 07:45 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

I plugged my phone number into this website and for the first time, it indicates that FiOS TV is available to me. I live in Prince George's County just outside of the Laurel city limit. I don't know if I'm ready to ditch my DirecTV for it just yet, but it's interesting that the website says it's available here. I would have expected a phone call or a mailing from VZ to get my business, but maybe that will come soon.

I see the price for the basic 200 channel service is $43 a month. What does the HD service and DVR add to that price? How much are the movie channels in HD?

In Va the HD box alone is $10., HD w/DVR is $13. Movie channels run between $13. - $16. depending on what you want.

Basic with HD/DVR and Internet costs me about $96. (w/o tax). Thats still less then Cox without the DVR, and my Internet speed more then doubled.

I just had Verizon installed this weekend, and I'm very happy with the installation and service. Only wish I had done it sooner. . Its nice being able to compliment a cable provider on here for once.
attgig's Avatar attgig 09:09 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by attgig View Post

I'm trying to figure out QAM tunings to the unscrambled channels via comcast baltimore city. Does anyone have this list or know where i can find it?

I have CBS - 91-13
espn - 128-2
and espn2 - 128-1

anyone have a full listing?

tia

everything that i found after painstakingly flipping through a bunch of channels.
91-67 mpt hd
91-167 bbc
92-2 abc hd
92-11 nbc-hd
91-13 cbs-hd
124-07 nba tv
126-2 fox hd

Anyone get discoveryhd? tnthd? am i alone from baltimore using comcast?
riffjim4069's Avatar riffjim4069 09:45 AM 01-31-2007
Full Article

LAUREL, Md., Jan. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- An innovative, reliable and competitive alternative to cable TV is now available to consumers in more than 30 Prince George's County communities as Verizon expands its all-fiber FiOS TV offering in the region.

Verizon delivers FiOS TV over the nation's largest digital, all-fiber network. Only this network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes.

FiOS TV now is available to nearly 56,000 households in parts of the following Prince George's County communities: Accokeek, Beltsville, Calverton, Camp Springs, Capitol Heights, Clinton, District Heights, East Riverdale, Fairland, Forestville, Fort Washington, Friendly, Glenn Dale, Goddard, Greenbelt, Hillandale, Kettering, Lake Arbor, Landover Hills, Lanham, Largo, Marlton, Maryland City, Mitchellville, New Carrollton, Oxon Hill, Rosaryville, Seat Pleasant, Walker Mill, Woodlawn and Woodmore.
ashutoshsm's Avatar ashutoshsm 10:05 AM 01-31-2007
Ohh, the spin machine in full blast ... 'innovative, reliable & competitive' !!!

Does it also cure cancer?
rosh400's Avatar rosh400 10:10 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:

I plugged my phone number into this website and for the first time, it indicates that FiOS TV is available to me. I live in Prince George's County just outside of the Laurel city limit. I don't know if I'm ready to ditch my DirecTV for it just yet, but it's interesting that the website says it's available here. I would have expected a phone call or a mailing from VZ to get my business, but maybe that will come soon.

I see the price for the basic 200 channel service is $43 a month. What does the HD service and DVR add to that price? How much are the movie channels in HD?

From the post's I've read, their mail and door to door efforts lag behind the availability database on their website so I am not surprised.
rosh400's Avatar rosh400 10:13 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaker18 View Post

Quick question for you Comcast subscribers out there.

Can comcast provide digital cable boxes with component outputs even though you don't subscribe to there HD service? The reason I'm asking is because I use an antenna and my QAM tuner to get HD channels, but watch regular cable through the cable box. The highest output it has is S-Video. Its decent, but will a box with component outputs look better?

Thanks!

In general, the rule of thumb is that component is better than S-Video but SD programming on an HDTV may be the exception. The higher quality feed offered by component may also be more revealing of the flaws of the SD feed. S-Video may do a better job at masking these flaws.

As far as the availability of non-HD boxes with component out, you should call Comcast directly.
kevinstu's Avatar kevinstu 11:05 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Out of curiosity, are you watching on DirecTV also?

Mark

I am experiencing the audio dropouts on 5-1 as well, only during House, Conviction, and other national shows.

It's happened both on the HR10-250 and the HR20 receivers, both through OTA.

Sound drops out for 2-3 seconds (with no noticable video impact), and there is often slight video digital pixilation on its return.
CycloneGT's Avatar CycloneGT 11:15 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshsm View Post

Ohh, the spin machine in full blast ... 'innovative, reliable & competitive' !!!

No, but it might help with ED depending on which channels you subscribe too.
Riley9208's Avatar Riley9208 11:56 AM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstu View Post

I am experiencing the audio dropouts on 5-1 as well, only during House, Conviction, and other national shows.

It's happened both on the HR10-250 and the HR20 receivers, both through OTA.

Sound drops out for 2-3 seconds (with no noticable video impact), and there is often slight video digital pixilation on its return.

This is a common problem with the HR10-250 software ver 6.3a. Keep forcing phone calls until your box updates to ver 6.3b, this cleared up all FOX audio drop outs for me so far. I can't explain the problem on your HR20
dneily's Avatar dneily 01:20 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post

Full Article

LAUREL, Md., Jan. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- An innovative, reliable and competitive alternative to cable TV is now available to consumers in more than 30 Prince George's County communities as Verizon expands its all-fiber FiOS TV offering in the region.

Verizon delivers FiOS TV over the nation's largest digital, all-fiber network. Only this network has earned the certification of the independent Fiber to the Home Council for providing fiber all the way to customers' homes.

FiOS TV now is available to nearly 56,000 households in parts of the following Prince George's County communities: Accokeek, Beltsville, Calverton, Camp Springs, Capitol Heights, Clinton, District Heights, East Riverdale, Fairland, Forestville, Fort Washington, Friendly, Glenn Dale, Goddard, Greenbelt, Hillandale, Kettering, Lake Arbor, Landover Hills, Lanham, Largo, Marlton, Maryland City, Mitchellville, New Carrollton, Oxon Hill, Rosaryville, Seat Pleasant, Walker Mill, Woodlawn and Woodmore.

I had an Encore Verizon technician at my house today to install FIOS TV. Unfortunately, I discontinued my FIOS Internet service two weeks ago, and just learned that I must have FIOS Internet to use FIOS TV !! This is unlike COMCAST cable, which has a "cafeteria plan" by which you can select cable internet or TV or both. It makes me wonder what people do if they have no computer or no desire for internet.

So I have put in a new order to resume FIOS internet, which will take two days to "flip the switch." Then I'll need to request that a technician return to complete the FIOS TV installation.
tonyd79's Avatar tonyd79 01:46 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley9208 View Post

This is a common problem with the HR10-250 software ver 6.3a. Keep forcing phone calls until your box updates to ver 6.3b, this cleared up all FOX audio drop outs for me so far. I can't explain the problem on your HR20

The HR10 dropout was always 9 seconds. 9 seconds of silence, then a picture jitter and sound comes back. Software 6.3b does fix it.

Folks on dbstalk have reported some short dropouts on the HR20 on OTA. I have not seen one that I didn't think was signal related.
tonyd79's Avatar tonyd79 01:50 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:

A friend in Bowie and another in Clarksville both said Verizon literally paper-bombed them for installation. However, my experience was quite different. I got one of those generic envelopes that kind of looks like it came from a messenger service like Fedex or UPS or the Post Office that just said it was to the resident at my address. I almost threw it away but decided to see who had spent all this money to be non-descript.

Turned out it had a nice letter and two sheets of information (printed on high quality glossy paper) including the channel lineup. It said Verizon Fios was now available to be installed at my address.

The website still says no.

BTW, my sister is being installed in Bethesda next week.
ashutoshsm's Avatar ashutoshsm 03:20 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd79 View Post

Most people use the 'moved' verb or a conjugated variant thereof ... but whatever floats your boat!

post 5pm humor
CycloneGT's Avatar CycloneGT 03:58 PM 01-31-2007
For Dish customers who don't read the other forums regularly. Dish has added A&E-HD today.
riffjim4069's Avatar riffjim4069 04:59 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshsm View Post

No, but it does solve the problems with HD-Little, HD-Lite...
riffjim4069's Avatar riffjim4069 05:17 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

I had an Encore Verizon technician at my house today to install FIOS TV. Unfortunately, I discontinued my FIOS Internet service two weeks ago, and just learned that I must have FIOS Internet to use FIOS TV !! This is unlike COMCAST cable, which has a "cafeteria plan" by which you can select cable internet or TV or both. It makes me wonder what people do if they have no computer or no desire for internet.

I wonder if Verizon will continue this practice...I hope not! Comcast (formerly Adelphia) recently announced there would be no increase for their 4Mb/384Kb HSI for cable customers in our area, however the price will be increased $17 (more than 39%) for those with Internet Only. Apparently they've decided to gouge the 95% of customers who cannot yet get FiOS, or have found better service with satellite, while they have the opportunity.
fmsjr's Avatar fmsjr 05:40 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:

...I see the price for the basic 200 channel service is $43 a month. What does the HD service and DVR add to that price? How much are the movie channels in HD?

Unlike other providers, Verizon doesn't charge extra for HD... but of course the HD STB costs more than an SD box.
fmsjr's Avatar fmsjr 05:43 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by attgig View Post

Anyone get discoveryhd? tnthd? am i alone from baltimore using comcast?

Discovery & TNT will almost always be encrypted. Once in a while they pop up in the clear on a scan, but don't last.
fmsjr's Avatar fmsjr 05:48 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd79 View Post

A friend in Bowie and another in Clarksville both said Verizon literally paper-bombed them for installation. However, my experience was quite different. I got one of those generic envelopes that kind of looks like it came from a messenger service like Fedex or UPS or the Post Office that just said it was to the resident at my address. I almost threw it away but decided to see who had spent all this money to be non-descript.

Turned out it had a nice letter and two sheets of information (printed on high quality glossy paper) including the channel lineup. It said Verizon Fios was now available to be installed at my address.

The website still says no.

We got a doorknob hanging saying FiOS was available a week or two after our initial installation... a couple more weeks went by and we started getting the FedEx envelopes, for what seemed like a month. I was tempted to call and say stop sending them, and take the cost of the mailing off of my monthly bill!
carltonrice's Avatar carltonrice 06:40 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsjr View Post

Unlike other providers, Verizon doesn't charge extra for HD... but of course the HD STB costs more than an SD box.

My biggest question is that I understand that the VZ FiOS DVR can be hooked up to multiple TVs, so you can run up to 3 TVs off of one DVR in your home which is appealing. But does that mean you can power two HDTVs off of one box or only a single HDTV and the other sets must be SD.
Sun Ra's Avatar Sun Ra 07:14 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I don't have any problems with WBAL (that I have noticed). However I am curious what your antenna setup is? I have an 8-bay channel master on the roof and I can't really get any DC channels. I found this interesting since I could get Baltimore stations when I used to live in Alexandria.

http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_inf.../hdtv-antennas

this guy... WBAL seems to be doing better for now...

SunRa
MapMaker18's Avatar MapMaker18 08:02 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsjr View Post

Discovery & TNT will almost always be encrypted. Once in a while they pop up in the clear on a scan, but don't last.

I can get TNT-HD (98.2) in the clear, but don't get Discovery. I guess it all depends on your location and jurisdication. What other channels can people get in the clear in Howard County?
Marcus Carr's Avatar Marcus Carr 10:35 PM 01-31-2007
Quote:

Comcast received a retransmission-consent extension to continue carrying Sinclair Broadcast Group TV stations until March 1, the end of the February sweep period.

The nation's largest cable company, which is in the midst of negotiating a retransmission-consent deal with Sinclair, earlier this month sent out notices to subscribers in cities where it has out-of-market Sinclair stations that it might lose those signals as early as Feb. 5.

Under Federal Communications Commission rules, Comcast couldn't drop Sinclair's stations in February, one of the sweeps periods when viewership is used to set ad rates.

But Comcast subscribers who are considered out-of-market aren't covered by the FCC prohibition, which is why the cable operator would have been able to drop Sinclair's signals in those areas in February.

But now Sinclair granted Comcast an extension to continue carrying all of its stations -- in-market and out-of-market -- until March 1

http://multichannel.com/article/CA64...=Breaking+News

Not sure if this affects HD for in-market stations.
GoIrish's Avatar GoIrish 04:55 AM 02-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

I would expect it covers all Sinclair channels.

GoIrish
bmfc1's Avatar bmfc1 06:00 AM 02-01-2007
Nats President Stan Kasten participated in a "chat" yesterday at Nationals.com. Here's the bad news about HD on MASN for this upcoming season:

natsrgr8: How are things going at MASN? Will there be any high def broadcasts in the future? I've read that the studios for MASN are in Baltimore. Will there be a D.C. presence for MASN?

Kasten:MASN is a very new business and is growing right alongside the Nats. There almost certainly will be high def in the future, but not in 2007. And whether or not the studios wind up being located in one place or another, you can count on a real and growing D.C. presence on the broadcasts and through all of the other programming.
Deezul's Avatar Deezul 06:26 AM 02-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfc1 View Post

Kasten:MASN is a very new business and is growing right alongside the Nats. There almost certainly will be high def in the future, but not in 2007. And whether or not the studios wind up being located in one place or another, you can count on a real and growing D.C. presence on the broadcasts and through all of the other programming.

Instead of hearing him hem and haw about whether they will or won't, it's nice to see him just come out and say, SORRY, not this year. Now, if for some miraculous reason they DO have some towards the end of the year, it's a bonus. I suspect they didn't want to even try since they can build a dedicted studio for HD at the new stadium.

Deez
zyvo23's Avatar zyvo23 08:52 AM 02-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

So theoretically, it could fall through and we could get channel 5 (DC) back in Howard County? that would be...AWESOME!
ahsan's Avatar ahsan 08:57 AM 02-01-2007
Comcast Loudoun just added a new channel in their HD range. Channel 776 is now showing Versus but the content that I saw last night (a Survivor rerun) was not in HD. I am not that familiar with this channel but assume it will be showing some content in HD since its in their HD lineup (770s).
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 09:28 AM 02-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley9208 View Post

I just made a change in the audio data rate that might help this problem, but it's a good idea to update the software, too.

It turns out that FOX knows about the problem, and they gave me this audio data rate thing to try.

Mark
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop