Portland, OR - Frontier - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1824 Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well, with the new TiVo HD box out, that's definitely what I'll be purchasing to go along with the FiOS tv when it gets here. Happy Happy Happy, Joy Joy Joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1824 Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A Verizon rep that I talked to this week said October at the earliest. At this point, if it was October and not 2008, I'd be pretty happy.
post #93 of 1824 Old 07-29-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hormoz View Post

Spoke to a verizon CS rep yesterday about the mess-up on the home phone bill. He was located in Seattle and along the way of trying to fix the error, wanted to share with me that our region would "soon" get the FIOS triple play option ( broadband, TV, and home phone).

FWIW, he mentioned the price would be about $130 for all three services. TV included about 200 channels, plus national and local HD channels (DVR would be additional $12.99). Broadband would be 5/2 tier and phone included unlimited long distance and all the usual calling features (call waiting, forwarding, voice mail, etc.). He was adamant that it would be within a "few months."

BTW, he was lamenting how his high-tech friends at Microsoft were all upset that they couldn't get the FIOS service since they lived in Qwest service territory!

FYI for you guys out west that price for Triple Play seems high-unless the rep was allowing for premium chs.

the Triple Play rate I've seen is $99.99 for all 3 services(1 yr. commitment) but this does not include box rental or premiums(Movies, Sports, HBO/Max).

we just got the new Media Guide here in Hampton Roads(VA) it's a big improvement.

to address a previous comment the Motorola boxes ARE similar to what Comcast or Cox use but with different software(ironically, Microsoft software)

a big difference in the FiOS boxes is they're IP-enabled. regular TV is QAM-tuned but the VOD/PPV is IP-based. BTW still no HD VOD tho Vz is supposed to be working on it.

and why am I here? curious in general, and on the Verizon website here there is no mention of Oregon anywhere. had no idea it was Verizon territory.

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #94 of 1824 Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post

A Verizon rep that I talked to this week said October at the earliest. At this point, if it was October and not 2008, I'd be pretty happy.

Right in the middle of football season, I can still wait as DirecTV for now satisfies my needs.
post #95 of 1824 Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just talked to the FIOS tech installing FIOS in a neighbor's house. He told me that they've been told December 1st for FIOS TV.

He said the Hillsboro TV center is up and running, and everything is working fine with it. They're working on the distribution centers that bring the signal to other areas like mine in Tigard.
post #96 of 1824 Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Well, as long as it's before the Super Bowl, I'll be happy.
post #97 of 1824 Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlinNulland View Post

Just talked to the FIOS tech installing FIOS in a neighbor's house. He told me that they've been told December 1st for FIOS TV.

He said the Hillsboro TV center is up and running, and everything is working fine with it. They're working on the distribution centers that bring the signal to other areas like mine in Tigard.

Saw a couple of Verizon trucks and techs fiddling with the "manholes" for FIOS in the neighborhood (Greenway area in Beaverton). Stopped and asked one of the techs about the TV signal arrival date, and he also mentioned December for the general rollout. He lived in Newberg and already had FIOS internet!
post #98 of 1824 Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I signed up for FIOS and phone service Friday. Only a little concerned that what is said at the VZW Store is not how the order comes out. Anyway, the FIOS will be installed 8/28. They came out today, however to measure where to run cable for ONT. The person said FIOS-TV will be available to current FIOS Internet people starting November!
post #99 of 1824 Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My house is between Beaverton Hillsdale and Canyon at the bottom of the West Slope area. It's not a very high density area (but getting higher density every year thanks to metro ). At any rate, I've been looking forward to FIOS TV like the rest of you but currently there's no fiber in my hood yet.

Getting anxious to know when it would eventually make it to my area I made a bunch of phone calls a couple days ago and finally got ahold of a guy in a local engineering dept who had access to the build out roadmap info. He couldn't tell from initially looking at his database but said he'd check into it and get back to me. This morning he left a voice mail and the news is not great, but it could be worse I suppose. He said my area was scheduled to be completed by June '08, but that they have been trying to get things done ahead of schedule as much as they can. He said that the density of the neighborhoods was the overriding factor when the roadmap was worked up. So, it's not as quick as I had hoped , but it's also not as bad as I feared it might be either . I'll be jealous of you guys who get hooked up right away, but hopefully you all can help them get the bugs worked out of the system by the time they get to me .

ron
post #100 of 1824 Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Heard 2008 now for the earliest install of FiOS TV, still waiting to hear it confirmed in the paper or writing...but it's coming soon.
post #101 of 1824 Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

... I'll be jealous of you guys who get hooked up right away, but hopefully you all can help them get the bugs worked out of the system by the time they get to me .

ron

Ron,

All things being relative, we'll be thankful when FIOS TV arrives. I guess a few months late won't be that bad. We should all feel sorry for the non-Verizon territory stuck with Qwest technology !

HZ
post #102 of 1824 Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

That's true! Really, the Comcast I've got now is not terrible. Outside of some pixelation on the most challenging programming it looks good. It will be very nice to have a completely clean picture on even fast action programming though. And I'll be happy to have HDNet Movies again too. What prompted last weeks renewed interest in the FIOS was a locked up DVR about two thirds of the way through watching the movie "Inside Man" last weekend. I had backed up to re-listen to some dialog I missed when it decided to lock up and in my frustration and button pushing I accidentily changed the channel and lost the buffer on the movie . Luckily I found it playing again last night and recorded it this time so I'll finally be able to finish watching it tonight . The lagginess of the Comcast DVR can be a major PITA sometimes...

ron
post #103 of 1824 Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

...and the lag seems to have gotten VERY bad in the past week or so! Seems like it has never been this bad before.
post #104 of 1824 Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM

... Speaking of DVR and FIOS, the bad news here is that Verizon is dispensing the same Motorolla box for the HD-DVR (160 gig) drive, and the same baggage of occasional bugs! Also, if you follow the FIOS-TV forums it seems that Motorolla boxes (Comcast and VZ) are limited to 160 gig addressable drive (no USB external drive for these boxes, it seems).
post #105 of 1824 Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the news is not great, but it could be worse I suppose. my area was scheduled to be completed by June '08

Be thankful you're getting it at all. I'm on the tail-end of Verizon territory, right at the border intersection of Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties - on the Clackamas side, in the Mountain Park area - where they have no plans to install; and even if they did, they'd have to deal with TWO HOA's to get to my place - one for my condo complex (for which I'm on the board, so hopefully that won't be a problem), the other for the entire Mountain Park area, which has very strict rules for cable deployment (read: it *must* be underground, and the area around which the cable was installed *must* be returned to the same condition in which it found itself before the ground was interred) - only to serve a handful of customers with no potential for growth. I'm not saying it'll never happen it's just not likely until the very end.

Quote:

Really, the Comcast I've got now is not terrible. Outside of some pixelation on the most challenging programming it looks good. It will be very nice to have a completely clean picture on even fast action programming though.

Don't get your hopes up in this regard. Verizon passes the same bit-starved sources that Comcast gets, and assuming you believe their "We don't recompress" company line (judging by our 750MHz network and the lack of additional content over the last year, I do), Verizon will look no better. You'll have to start looking toward HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray to see an improvement in that regard (but man, is it an improvement!).

Quote:

And I'll be happy to have HDNet Movies again too.

Absolutely. HDNet is the network I have missed the most since dropping Dish. Screw Comcast and their INHD monopoly.

Quote:

What prompted last weeks renewed interest in the FIOS was a locked up DVR about two thirds of the way through watching the movie "Inside Man" last weekend. I had backed up to re-listen to some dialog I missed when it decided to lock up and in my frustration and button pushing I accidentily changed the channel and lost the buffer on the movie . Luckily I found it playing again last night and recorded it this time so I'll finally be able to finish watching it tonight . The lagginess of the Comcast DVR can be a major PITA sometimes...

That's why TiVo makes two Series 3 HD TiVo's. I was right there with you up until about June, when I noticed that since the beginning of the year they had jacked our "rental" prices to $12/mo a price INCREASE for a box that, A.) should be getting cheaper as time goes on, and B.) hasn't improved much - if at all - over the last 2½ years, certainly not to any degree that would warrant a price hike.

That was the sledgehammer that broke this camel's back I ordered the Series 3 HD on the last day of the $200 Father's Day rebate, signed up for 3 years of service up front, plus added a 750GB eSATA drive now I'm sitting pretty with a terabyte HD-TiVo for a grand total of $900, and I save $12/mo+tax on my cable bill. The $900 was a bitter pill to swallow, but for a much more functional DVR and considerably more storage space, I'll take the loss of VOD (which I rarely used) and PPV (which I never used).

Unfortunately, I picked up a PS3 around the same time and signed up for Blockbuster's Total Access (when they still had it price-competitive with Netflix), and I've been swimming in Blu waters ever since I've had so little time to watch the TiVo, that terabyte is nearly full! That's going to have to change in a couple weeks, though.
post #106 of 1824 Old 09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

I grew up in Lake Grove and remember when Mt Park was but a hill with trees and grass fields. My mother was a Girl Scout Leader for a while back then and they had their summer campouts up there . Times have changed and it's a "mature" neighborhood now...

Regarding Comcast practices, all I've ever heard about them was that they don't downrez any material. And I believe that. Beyond that, I don't think they're any different than anybody else. Not too long after I got the Comcast service I checked in to see how the PQ on "CARS" (cropped to 16:9) was and it looked good... until the faster race sequences began and the usual pixelation broke out. A while later I found that they actually had the movie up on the HD on-demand free movies queue in full 2.35 widescreen. So I watched it from there and not only was the aspect ratio full, but the PQ was solid. No pixelation at all.... Now some might say that the crop job on the regular version may have contributed to the worse PQ it had but I don't think it would have made nearly that much difference. I just think they were providing adequate bandwidth to support it via on-demand.

At any rate, the general consensus from people that have had both seems to be that the FIOS PQ is a level better. Since I won't have access to it for a good six months anyway I'll let the PDX "early adopters" tell me if it's worth the switch or not .

ron
post #107 of 1824 Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I grew up in Lake Grove and remember when Mt Park was but a hill with trees and grass fields. My mother was a Girl Scout Leader for a while back then and they had their summer campouts up there . Times have changed and it's a "mature" neighborhood now...

I bought my unit from the original owner, who had been there since 1980; at that time, there were no other buildings around, above or below, and she could see clear to the valley from where they launched their hot-air balloons. Now I can't see 50ft without another rooftop; but I like it, it's like living in a forest - it smells just like Mt. Hood.

Quote:
Regarding Comcast practices, all I've ever heard about them was that they don't downrez any material. And I believe that. Beyond that, I don't think they're any different than anybody else.

Not just downrez, but manipulate the bitstream in any way… if the content provider offers full-bitrate 18mbps, Comcast passes it through. Again, there are exceptions - supposedly the Bay Area is a notorious 550MHz holdover - but those are more from acquisitions which have not yet been upgraded. We have been upgraded - rather significantly - but we're still not top-of-the-line. Of course, switching off analog would mean we wouldn't need to be.

Quote:
Not too long after I got the Comcast service I checked in to see how the PQ on "CARS" (cropped to 16:9) was and it looked good... until the faster race sequences began and the usual pixelation broke out.

Starz (as well as Showtime and HBO) outputs a realtime MPEG-2 variable bitrate 14.3mbps MAX bitstream, with encoders that detect the 3:2 cadence of film-sourced material and attempt to encode accordingly (and look better doing so), but unfortunately lose track of that cadence when the action gets too intense - thus the usual pixelation in the faster race sequences; it can look no better than that, unfortunately, without better encoders on the content provider's end. You want to see Cars the way it's meant to be seen? Pick up the Blu-Ray this November… while you're at it, check out Ratatouille (only the best movie of the year!!1) and the Pixar Shorts Collection

Quote:
A while later I found that they actually had the movie up on the HD on-demand free movies queue in full 2.35 widescreen. So I watched it from there and not only was the aspect ratio full, but the PQ was solid. No pixelation at all.... Now some might say that the crop job on the regular version may have contributed to the worse PQ it had but I don't think it would have made nearly that much difference. I just think they were providing adequate bandwidth to support it via on-demand.

Yes, the 2.35:1 aspect ratio helps, but more from the lack of picture on the top and bottom (black is a lot easier to compress), not so much from the "crop job" - which in this case wouldn't have been a "crop job" as it is a digitally-rendered animation; they can reframe however they see fit.

But also the fact that it's encoded ahead of time - offline instead of realtime - can make a big difference; unfortunately, they face similar - if not even more stringent - bandwidth limitations, and I would beg to differ on the point of "solid" PQ. I've seen several Starz/Encore HD on demand titles which were anything but "solid;" Blade in particular stands out in my memory as a truly horrendous encode… of course it was an anamorphic-shot film that they cropped to 1.78:1, and the transfer looked about as soft as I'd ever seen, but that actually should have helped the compression… it didn't, there was macroblocking everywhere. Unfortunately, you're not going to escape that on any kind of broadcast or narrowcast solution; bandwidth will always be a battleground fought over by hundreds of invading hordes.

Quote:
At any rate, the general consensus from people that have had both seems to be that the FIOS PQ is a level better.

Again, it depends upon the cable company and their respective network in your respective location. Here in Portland, we're fairly well-off with what Comcast provides now, but we also have no room for additional content at this time; so either they have to start recompressing, upgrade the network, or start turning off analog; either/both of the last two would be fine by me.

Quote:
Since I won't have access to it for a good six months anyway I'll let the PDX "early adopters" tell me if it's worth the switch or not .

I should think it would be worth it on price alone… plus bandwidth to burn that cable will not likely match in the near future… and HDNet…
post #108 of 1824 Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Moorebid:

I think cable can not match FIOS bandwidth because FIOS TV only sends stations you are watching or recording. So, no matter how many stations the "can" place on the cable, you only get what you need. ie: if you have a few TV's and a few DVR's they may be only sending you 6 stations. At least that is how I was told they can get so much b/w and not even sweat it!
The cable co's need to place all of them on the cable. I think FIOS actually does have a certain number on the line anyway, but nowhere near the max of the system.
post #109 of 1824 Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

IPTV is to what you're referring, which AT&T is using with their U-Verse service, but they're the only major deployment thus far; Verizon has plans for it, but are taking their time as it's still in its infancy. There's also no technical reason why cable couldn't use it as well (and may do so if they feel the need), but that's a long road, with a lot of development left to go… not to mention a wholesale swap-out of equipment - both head-end and end-user - for both providers; but cable's definitely more entrenched, and will require a much larger effort to convert.

Regardless, fiber has cable beat in pure MHz alone (or GHz in their case)… that's how fiber can send out analog CATV and still have plenty of room for everything else; cable's going to have to start shutting off some analog channels before they can squeeze anything more into their existing infrastructure. Cable does has a few tricks left up its sleeve - not the least of which is DOCSIS 3.0, combined with IPTV - which may allow them to see impressive gains, assuming they ever come to fruition; but fiber will always have more spectrum with which to work, there's no getting around that…
post #110 of 1824 Old 09-11-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast can easily shut off analog 32 thru 71 after 2009 to free up bandwidth. One analog equals 2 full HD channels or probably 10 SD channels. Then, years later, they can shut off analog 2 thru 31.
post #111 of 1824 Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I got Nov 15th in the FIOSTV pool!
post #112 of 1824 Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Verizon hung a notice on my door that FIOS is coming soon (but there have been previous false alarms).

Can anyone who is familiar with any or all of (DirecTV, Comcast, FIOS) post a brief comparison?

I'll start with DirecTV vs Comcast. Generally satellite quality is worse than cable, because of excessive compression. However pricing is much better. For example, with DirecTV I get SpeedTV for "free", while it's in a separate sports tier for Comcast. Satellite HBO is only $12/mo while it's $16/mo from cable. Also I only pay $5/mo for a TiVo, while Comcast DVRs are much more expensive (especially when mirroring is included).

This topic has been extensively covered in many other forums. I'm just looking for a brief summary to help me decide if there's any reason to switch to Verizon. Without some compelling advantages, why change from the status quo? The only reason I can think of is that many, many, many people "hate" the cable company.
post #113 of 1824 Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM

I received a pleasant letter today informing me that my FIOS internet was increasing to $47.99 per month. That's an increase of $12.00 per month. Anyone else seen a similar increase?
post #114 of 1824 Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpistacc View Post

I received a pleasant letter today informing me that my FIOS internet was increasing to $47.99 per month. That's an increase of $12.00 per month. Anyone else seen a similar increase?

No, not yet. That's outrageous! What are your connection speeds? I have the 5/2 for $34.99, just recently raised after my 1st year intro price of 29.99.
post #115 of 1824 Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM

My 5/2 also recently increased to $34.99 from $29.95. I called them to confirm, and the csr gave me a $10 credit for 6 months, which effectively wiped out the increase for a year.
post #116 of 1824 Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Clever of Verizon to raise their prices to Comcast levels. They're effectively a duopoly. Why bother competing on price? Why bother competing on anything? Your choices are the phone company or the cable company!
post #117 of 1824 Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Verizon wants you to bundle your phone and tv (DirecTV currently).
post #118 of 1824 Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpistacc View Post

This was apparently meant to be for people who opt out of 1 or 2 year committment (and select month-to-month service). I mentioned this to a friend who had a similar concern. He called verizon and got the 1 year deal for $5/month more than his promotional rate.

Now, where the heck is our FIOS? They laid the fiber in the neighberhood almost 5 months ago, and still no news!!!
post #119 of 1824 Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
Sherwood just approved the VZ franchise for FiOS TV earlier this week, I'd post the link to the article, but since this is my first post, I can't do so just yet.

The article basically stated (3rd paragraph) "later this year".

Since there's only 3 months left in the year, my guess is that it will probably be sooner rather than later, and this was the most solid evidence I've seen that it will in fact be an '07 rollout.

I'm switching my comcast internet service over to VZ FiOS the first week of October, and believe me, I'm ready for some Cable competition, and I'll be having a lengthy discussion with the installer to see what info I can pry from him for the FiOS TV rollout.
post #120 of 1824 Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Liked: 14
From the silicon forest blog on oregonlive.com

Verizon to begin testing cable TV service

Posted by The Silicon Forest Blog September 25, 2007 11:02AM
Categories: Phone & Cable, Washington County
(Photo by Brian Lee)

Using fiber-optic cable, newly installed in much of Washington County, Verizon plans to compete with Comcast in the cable TV business

Verizon tells me this morning that it plans to begin testing its new FiOS cable TV service in Washington County within the next 30 days, and the company is now confident it will begin offering service by year's end. (Click here for background.)

Verizon built a new fiber-optic network to customers' homes in Washington County, creating the capacity to offer super-fast Web access and cable TV with a service it calls FiOS. Verizon hopes to take business away from Comcast, which currently holds a monopoly on cable service throughout the metro area.

Verizon hasn't set Washington County rates yet, but in other markets it charges about $8 less than the $50.89 Comcast charges for "Standard Cable" in Oregon.

By the end of October, Verizon cable TV service will be available to employees and perhaps a few select customers, spokesman Kevin Laverty tells me today. It will roll out sometime later in the fall to the general public in most of Washington County. The company also plans to offer service in parts of Multnomah County where Verizon is the local phone carrier, but hasn't set a timetable to do so.

Qwest plans its own cable TV service in parts of Portland as early as next year. Its proposal won approval from the Mt. Hood Cable Regulatory Commission last week, and goes before the Portland City Council next month.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page