Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1824 Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

That's why I have a 2TB in my Premiere unit. Plenty of HD to watch, can't remember the last time I watched something in non-HD....maybe ESPN Classic for something?

SD viewing hurts even my dogs eyes......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1824 Old 04-14-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it is rare that I record anything in SD!
post #1653 of 1824 Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM

just read over at engadget about the new Verizon FiOS HD GUI finally being rolled out to customers. It's improvements like these that really make the experience for me, and yet something that Frontier will never invest in. Sad times.....

for the lazy, like me

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/14/v...de-dvr-enhanc/
post #1654 of 1824 Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM

man, this forum has just become dead!!
post #1655 of 1824 Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post

man, this forum has just become dead!!

I guess we're all trying to get used to the eventual demise of the Frontier offering of Fios TV! But seriously, given the fact there's no chance of any updates to Channel lineup, DVR, or guide software, not sure what else can be posted here besides "Frontier announces they are shutting down the Fios TV service in Oregon" whenever that happens.
post #1656 of 1824 Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well there most likely won't be any new posters to this thread from the $500 installation charge now. No new news for now from Frontier.
post #1657 of 1824 Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So, what's option for us who have FiOS TV right now? Comcast or dish? Which way to go?
I think discussion related to this would be the only topic on this thread...

post #1658 of 1824 Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Not everyone can get satellite...but that's where I'll be going (without Frontier's referral) when FiOS finally closes up shop in Oregon.
post #1659 of 1824 Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Not everyone can get satellite...but that's where I'll be going (without Frontier's referral) when FiOS finally closes up shop in Oregon.
I'll probably do the same unless Frontier decides to shut down the fiber completely and send everyone back to DSL. In which case Comcast (sigh) might be a more attractive option, at least with the triple play package.
post #1660 of 1824 Old 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM

true......I'm nearing my one month with DirecTV and so far, so good. No issues to comment on, my ESPN-HD comes in just as sharp and clear as with FiOS. I did however keep Frontier for my internet though. $49 a month for 15/5 was still better than what Comcast could offer. So, even going with a bundle-less package and two different suppliers - my out of pocket is exactly the same as it was.....$100/month.
post #1661 of 1824 Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least our 157 HD Hour TiVo-HD's will still work with Comcast!
post #1662 of 1824 Old 05-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

True, I've never gone the Tivo route.....for many reasons, but having your existing technology that you enjoy work across multiple platforms is a must.
post #1663 of 1824 Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Yep, but it's still with Comcast.
post #1664 of 1824 Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just checking and Comcast claims that MRV will work with our TIVOHD units. I did not think that they put as many flags on as Frontier, but they said they had none. I am not sure I believe them.
post #1665 of 1824 Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed that 502 is breaking up on ch 502 HD. I notice this on the Local news and on ABC news. Has anyone noticed this?
post #1666 of 1824 Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM

I posted this over at broadbandreports...thought I'd share here as well:

Ever since Frontier took over FiOS I dealt with reduced services (e.g. no remote DVR scheduling), poor Internet service (bad DNS servers, speed slowdowns), and a complete dearth of any future innovation. Thankfully I was within a 2 year price guarantee until October but was out of my one year contract. Easing the pain was the $40/month retention credit Frontier gave me.

I've been researching Comcast and DirecTV. I was leaning toward Comcast for a few reasons:
- Frontier was just giving me a bad vibe...didn't want to keep my phone/internet with them.
- I had FiOS from the first month of availability but previously had Comcast with no major complaints.
- Didn't want to install a Dish on my roof and didn't want to have to re-wire my FiOS to be Ethernet rather than coax.

Then the door hang came...the offer was fantastic. Preferred Plus Triple Play for $89.99 or Premier for $109.99. Considering that the Premier comes with an AnyRoom DVR for free, you're really only paying approx $5 for the Premier package. Free install because I'm a FiOS customer. Done deal. Premier it is.

Posting here to share the results after 10 days. As a general comment, I'm extremely happy.

Install: Easy. Except Comcast forgot to put in the port order for my phone number. I called and they quickly resolved it and I had my phone number back in one business day. I can forgive this as I did the entire order over email...the convenience of that outweighs the slight number porting hiccup!

TV Picture Quality: This was one of my major concerns coming from FiOS, but I'm extremely happy with it. Little, if any, perceptible difference between HD quality on most channels. SD quality is worse on Comcast but I never watch SD anymore. As a benchmark, my main screen is a 120" projector...so quality differences would be noticeable.

TV Equipment: New Motorola boxes...nice and small (not the silver monstrosities). Quick remote response. Love the 500GB AnyRoom DVR HD space. Lots of room. AnyRoom functionality performs flawlessly. HD and SD streaming works great to all 3 of my alternative TVs. With FiOS I actually had two DVRs due to the small HD sizes so I constantly found myself trying to manage what was recorded on the Home Media DVR so that I could stream from there. Nice to have one DVR.

TV Software: The biggest downside. Ugh...Comcast's UI from the early 2000s. Painful. Can't wait until the new UI gets rolled out. It works...barely.

TV Extras: The iPad app alone is worth the switch. Fantastic to sit and search listings and control my TV via the app. Very cool. I've got remote DVR scheduling back...woohoo! In fact, just realized I didn't set the DVR to record the NBA Finals tonight...better go do that from my iPhone...

Internet: Yes, the speed is slower than FiOS, but it FEELS faster. I didn't have to manually change my DNS servers. Sites load quickly. My PS3 logs into the PSN noticeably faster than Frontier FiOS. I sometimes use a Slingbox so I do miss the upload speeds but overall, totally happy.

Phone: Landline is landline. But I do like the caller ID popping up on my TV.

Just wanted to share my experiences as I read this board for awhile trying to make my decision. Good luck to all. It's a shame our beloved FiOS has fallen so far. My biggest relief is knowing that I am with a company that is actually investing in their future platforms and rolling out new features rather than one that is simply trying to stay solvent under a huge debt load and has no interest in running their own TV business.

EDIT: I should also note my bandwidth usage. I know many people are concerned about Comcast's 250gb cap/month. After 10 days I've used 10% of my 250gb. So at this rate I'm looking at 30% of the cap in a given month. Our usage was a bit light last week...but I can't imagine us coming anywhere close to 250gb anytime soon. Your mileage may vary.

PSN: MiddKid
post #1667 of 1824 Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Has anyone tried using the Ceton InfiniTV cards with Frontier?

I'm assuming it's going to be a major PITA, because I don't think Frontier is going to care too much about getting me up and running.

I already have M cable cards for my HDTivo, and I'm wondering if there's any settings I can port over from that setup that will keep me from having to involve Frontier's techs in the process.

post #1668 of 1824 Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Someone at the Frontier forum over at DSLreports mentioned that Fox Soccer Channel HD should be available today (June 1). Lo and behold, it is indeed now on Channel 584. This is very surprising given the purported/expected demise of FIOS TV service. I'm not complaining!
post #1669 of 1824 Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Previously in this thread, someone linked to an Oregonian article
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._cable_tv.html
about Frontier abandoning FiOS.

Here's a link that Ken H posted on a different thread. It's to a different article
http://www.newsregister.com/article?...460--223--news
from that same time frame.

This other article covers much of the same ground, but also provides some additional details. E.g. Frontier claims it costs them $800 to install FiOS.
post #1670 of 1824 Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM

I've used the Ceton since it first became available, no problems at all. My Frontier setup uses ethernet for the internet feed, so I don't have any MoCA interference, and no need for the filter mentioned here: http://www.cetoncorp.com/infinitv/support/

The signal usually needs to be padded down slightly, so a couple splitters may help reduce the levels before it enters the Ceton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Has anyone tried using the Ceton InfiniTV cards with Frontier?

I'm assuming it's going to be a major PITA, because I don't think Frontier is going to care too much about getting me up and running.

I already have M cable cards for my HDTivo, and I'm wondering if there's any settings I can port over from that setup that will keep me from having to involve Frontier's techs in the process.

post #1671 of 1824 Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty quiet around here. Am I the only one who still has service from Frontier? They just sent out some literature:

Happy Anniversary!

As July marks our first-year anniversary in Oregon, I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate your business and reassure you Frontier is not pulling the plug on anything --- we're here to stay.
The color and bold are in Frontier's original, not my embellishment.
post #1672 of 1824 Old 07-31-2011, 11:08 PM

Yeah, I saw that...pretty unbelievable. I'm still working on cutting the cord. Pretty close now.
post #1673 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 AM

Still here. Happy. Talked to Oregon mgmt team. Staying w/ FIOS.

Alternatives still don't compare.

Granted, tough for a new customer, but I have been a subscriber since Day 1.

Mike

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
post #1674 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm planning to stay the course at least until my current contract is up. I extended that in Jan. to get the better internet speeds. They say they aren't pulling the plug but on the other hand they aren't promoting any improvements to their TV service. They did add the Fox Soccer Channel but I don't think there are any changes to the guide or other services that Verizon is rolling out to its TV FiOS network. I think the TV part will languish until there are no more contracts to support then the plug will be pulled.
post #1675 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Early on (after Frontier took over) I was able to get a lot of concessions when I threatened to leave. One was the elimination of any contract. So although the various "deals" we have with them at the moment will expire, we aren't under any contract for service so we can leave anytime. If you deal with them later and want to stay I'd go that route so if something else goes south you'll have the option to leave without any penalties.
post #1676 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So far I have been getting a great deal to stay. I guess what still bothers me is that I need to call the rep I have every month to get my special price. If a rep says you get free HBO/Cinemax for x number of months why do you need to get it corrected EVERY Month. I also was promised $20 off the triple play, but get $10 off...fixed every month when I contact her. No problem for me now as I have her email and can ask her what to pay this month after I get the Bill. :-)

OH, Cinemax must have had a small issue a few days ago as a 1 hour 45 min movie recorded as 1 hour and 8 mins and 32 minutes...missing a few minutes. I scheduled it again and it was the whole movie in 1 segment as it should!

My only concern is that all of the "We are going nowhere" ads do not show FIOS TV. So they do show that they will still provide the 3 services I do not recall seeing anything about FIOS TV in a long time.
post #1677 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM

I think FiOS is really a four-letter word for Frontier. They don't like it, don't want to deal with it and I'm sure wish they'd never bought into it.
post #1678 of 1824 Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

I think FiOS is really a four-letter word for Frontier. They don't like it, don't want to deal with it and I'm sure wish they'd never bought into it.

Yes, Verizon was good but Frontier even makes Comcast Customer Service not so bad.
post #1679 of 1824 Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I got that letter too...and by saying we're not pulling the plug on anything, that only means that they still have to provide FiOS TV to a pocket of us and dump the rest onto DirecTV (they hope).

I'm still good for this year (believe it's Feb or March in 2012) with my contract so we'll see what shakes out by then.
post #1680 of 1824 Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 AM

From a technology standpoint, realize that TV, Internet, and Phone are all FiOS services.

What is likely is that somehow the TV services are costing Frontier a lot more than they had planned, hence the high installation fee for new customers. The cost being either what Verizon is charging Frontier, or that Frontier is not equipped to negotiate with the various content providers.

Mike

M2 in OR
we live in interesting times
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page