Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 1826 Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspirit View Post

Apparently their hands are tied in regards to issuing additional credits. I asked them about my contract term and since I didn't respond to an email confirming the agreement I'm free to cancel anytime. Woohoo!

Good to hear that you can bail out at anytime. Keep a record of all of your conversations though. Note the date and time, ask for the order number, write down the CSR's name as well as everything that was discussed. If they try to hit you with an early termination fee or something else, at least you'll have a record of everything...probably a better account of the discussion than theirs.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1826 Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I will be moving off the Frontier page to Comcast in about three weeks, and only because we're moving to a non-Frontier area. I remember how bad Comcast used to be before 2003, I hope things have changed for the better.
post #1803 of 1826 Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Man it's been quiet around here. I just want to alert anyone else who may be in a similar situation as me how Frontier may be gouging innocent subscribers.

For the past two months the price Frontier charged me for my internet went up from $79.99 to $80.99 for the 25 Mbps up/down service. When I called Frontier, they said their fee for internet had indeed gone up $1 recently. I have been under contract for the lower price and my fee should not change within the contract term. The CSR agreed and credited me with the equivalent of $1 for each of the months remaining on my contract. Now $1 is not exorbitant to one individual but if this is being applied to thousands of subscribers who also may be under contract Frontier is getting a windfall unless they complain.

BTW, has anyone recently re-upped with Frontier? If so, under what conditions?
post #1804 of 1826 Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Keep an eye on Frontier...if you don't no one will.

Amazingly we are now getting all sorts of Frontier FiOS offers again...with free (not $500) installation. Guess they've had enough churn to figure out that they can't afford to lose those customers. Too late for us though.

We quit Frontier in disgust back in July (see other posts/rants) and went back to Comcast. (Which has been an equal nightmare.) When we quit Frontier we had to call repeatedly to get them to send boxes so that we could return their router/modem and the cable cards we used in our TiVo's. We finally managed to get them (plus a couple of extras that showed up after we had already returned everything). We still have the ONT. Not sure what to do with that other than unplug it.

Once we got our billing sorted out Frontier actually owed us about $250. We waited and waited then waited some more for our refund. Nothing. Calling Frontier's CS was as frustrating as ever with everyone passing the buck and saying that it's been processed, it's on the way, it takes 30 days, it takes 60 days, not sure why we haven't gotten it...are we sure we haven't received it? Multiple calls later we finally received our check...in November! It took them four months to process it. I am certain had we not stayed on them that it would have never been sent.

Comcast has not improved since our last bout with them. The initial salesmen promised all sorts of free equipment and features for which we were immediately billed. Conveniently he "forgot" to give me a copy of the agreement. (Although they've promised to send it four times, I've still never received it.) I'll take partial responsibility for that bit of stupidity.

I've logged more than a dozen calls and hours and hours on the phone with Comcast over the past three months trying to get everything straightened out. Some of the CSR's were polite and helpful, others not so much. I finally told them I wanted to cancel everything and was sent to Customer Retention. A nice gentleman did give us some credit and said that his limit was $50/mo. but that he'd give us four more credits of $50/mo. to make us whole. One more showed up and that was it. Five calls to his "private number" went to voice mail and not one was returned.

I ended up trying to cancel again and got someone else in Customer Retention that claimed that the earlier gentleman had given us all the credit he could and had not "logged" anything I was telling her. So either he lied or I was? She ended up saying that she'd give us a bit more credit, about $100 less than we're owed but that's all she could do. I asked her if she would continue to deal with a company that misled its customers and refused to even return phone calls. She said she wouldn't. Agreed. We'll see if her promised credits show up.

So we're not under contract with Comcast and can leave whenever we'd like, but for what...Frontier? Qwest, sorry, "CenturyLink" [shudder]? We have a Lifetime TiVo Elite so DTV and Dish are out of the picture.

We really, really miss Verizon, they were stellar. However since they've bailed on us, we're pretty much fed up with cable companies in general. What remains are poor excuses for corporations that haven't any acquaintance with service excellence and treat their customers like dirt...and get away with it.

We're back to working on cutting the cable, at least as much as we can...

[/rant]

Phew!

Best of luck with Frontier!
post #1805 of 1826 Old 12-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Man it's been quiet around here. I just want to alert anyone else who may be in a similar situation as me how Frontier may be gouging innocent subscribers. ....

BTW, has anyone recently re-upped with Frontier? If so, under what conditions?

Thanks for the heads-up. I posted over at DSLReports, but will summarize it here for interested parties. My 2-year contract is up Januaray 11th and Frontier wants about $30-$50 more per month for the Triple-play FIOS which I've been paying $150 / month for the past two years! The reason for range in price is that it depends which CSR you talk to! I think I'm about to throw in the towel, and head back to Comcast for a couple of years. I would've loved to stay with FIOS, but given the price increase, it no longer makes economic sense.
post #1806 of 1826 Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

For the past two months the price Frontier charged me for my internet went up from $79.99 to $80.99 for the 25 Mbps up/down service. When I called Frontier, they said their fee for internet had indeed gone up $1 recently. I have been under contract for the lower price and my fee should not change within the contract term.
I just checked my bill and indeed my bill went up exactly 1 dollar last month. mad.gif

post #1807 of 1826 Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hormoz View Post

Thanks for the heads-up. I posted over at DSLReports, but will summarize it here for interested parties. My 2-year contract is up Januaray 11th and Frontier wants about $30-$50 more per month for the Triple-play FIOS which I've been paying $150 / month for the past two years! The reason for range in price is that it depends which CSR you talk to! I think I'm about to throw in the towel, and head back to Comcast for a couple of years. I would've loved to stay with FIOS, but given the price increase, it no longer makes economic sense.

Well that's disconcerting. My contract goes to Feb. sometime so I guess I'll have to play CSR roulette. I really hate to go back to Comcast. My daughter (in Sherwood) recently went from Frontier to Comcast as a cost-saving measure. I just hate their guide and some of their remote functionality. All other things being equal, I don't know if I'm quite ready to take that step backward. Dish and DirecTv are out of the equation for tree issues. I guess I would be more inclined to stay with Frontier at a higher price if they were on record for improving their delivery system and programming, a la Verizon. All I see is a status quo from them. We'll see.
post #1808 of 1826 Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello ALL:

It has been a while since I have been here. Rich, I never see you on the TIVO site any more. A quick question for all you TIVO Premiere 4 owners here. Is it true that when we get these new units...either 75 hr or XL4 300 HR that it streams and that we can use MRS ( I believe that is what they call it now) on all out stations that they put the darn Copy Bit on...even HBO, etc?

I assume we can still buy the Premiere 4 and upgrade it ourselves to the XL4. We will not get the Glo remote but TIVO wants $200 for the 300HR version.
post #1809 of 1826 Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to re-up with Frontier for another 2 years.

Before Christmas I had a "Territory Manager" from Comcast come to the door with special package rates for their triple play. They offered a good deal but I was very reluctant to go back to Comcast. So I used that for some leverage when I called Frontier to discuss what they could do to counter that offer. I had gotten an email from Frontier reminding me that my existing contract was about to expire offering me Apple gift cards for renewing. When all is said and done, I renewed all my current services for about $8 more per month than what I was paying. I had some pretty hefty discounts in my prior package so $8 was a reasonable increase IMO from 2 years ago pricing. But I had to follow up on my first call because I didn't get a promised email detailing the new plan charges. Boy am I glad I did. I hunted around on the Frontier web site for my account and there is nowhere that describes your current service plan. You can only find that in your monthly billing. I was looking for something that showed changes were made, if only for a new contract period.

The second CSR determined nothing had been done by the first one. All kinds of balls were dropped. After we got everything squared away (again) I felt more comfortable that I was being property serviced. I suggested it might help to improve customer service if they would send confirming emails for new and renewed contracts stating terms, etc. Otherwise, everything is kind of nebulous and the customer is left hanging, wondering what they bought - until the billings occur.

Anyway, I'll be here another 2 years.
post #1810 of 1826 Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM

Got the same emails for gift cards. The not looking forward to the process but what a pain to switch.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
post #1811 of 1826 Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Right, the pain for switching was probably the most deciding factor, especially since I have (stupidly) put my email on Frontier. So now I have 2 years to rectify that.
post #1812 of 1826 Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I let my "deal" expire after 2 years. I had been promised certain pricing and have had to call EVERY month...all 24...to get it corrected. I then called the LOCAL Frontier person (on the FrontierOregon page) I believe Jeanne Danielson General Manager and she put me on to someone who has me keeping all I have now. I, too, explained that Comcast keeps ringing my front door bell and will promise me a lot to come back! One thing I do HATE is Frontier going to Yahoo mail. I use Eudora and get a bunch of timeouts when it gets busy!

Do any of you have TiVO Premiere 4 tuner boxes and can we now stream from room to room regardless of the darn copy bits! Remember that fiasco?
post #1813 of 1826 Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Not much activity here. I've been on Comcast for a while, but have noticed that Frontier has for some strange reason decided that it still wants to be in the TV business. Huh? If they hadn't driven me (and countless others) away with absurd price increases, they wouldn't be doing so poorly. Of course, nothing has seriously changed. According to Yahoo, Mary Agnes Wilderotter is still in charge.

Here's an ad I just saw. They claim they're still in the TV business:

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 9.45.24 PM.png 81k .png file
post #1814 of 1826 Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Happy New Year everyone! Anyone out there still using Frontier besides me?

I'm getting pretty upset with Frontier's program guide, expecially for CSN 577 and its lack of listing the past 2 Blazer games. To record the games I've had to set up custom recordings that bypass the listings in the guide for the game time slots.

And last night for the Sugar Bowl game, there was a chunk in the ESPN listing of 8 minutes from 9:00 to 9:08 for the Ford Postgame Show that was unrecordable from the program guide. During that time the game was still in progress. I could have done a custom recording session but who knows how long a game like these will last, and our puny drive storage doesn't provide you much lattitude.

Guess I need to go complain to the buffalo that they have to expect better from whomever they use for the program guides.
post #1815 of 1826 Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 AM

I'm still on but about done unless I can work something out with the services I want at a better price. I've weaned away any email accounts so no biggie there. Always a hassle though to switch and I do like their Internet service.
post #1816 of 1826 Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM

I'm still with them, but will likely switch as soon as my current contract expires in June. I'm switching primarily because they don't offer HBO-GO at all, and they also don't carry BBC America in HD. (Top Gear is one of my favorite shows.)

Other than those two things, however, their service has been pretty solid for me, and I have few complaints.

post #1817 of 1826 Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 PM

Liked: 11
I'm still a subscriber and will remain so.

The Comcast and DirecTV alternative is inferior.

I have a workaround for HBO go and the other streaming services, but have never relied on them. VOD is sufficient for me too, and I have a big DVR.

I've corresponded with the Oregon management team, and they acknowledge their many programming deficiencies. Their NBC biased internet streaming access is mediocre at best.

Comcast looks good on the service but their HD quality and internet speed simply don't match what FiOS can deliver today.

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
post #1818 of 1826 Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 AM

FiOS is a stellar TV and broadband product when folks that know what they're doing are maintaining it. It simply can't be beat. Frontier is not one of those folks.

When we switched from Comcast to Verizon FiOS years ago we couldn't have been happier. Verizon made Comcast's service (both customer and delivery) look like they were in the stone age. However once Frontier took over they knowingly and unknowingly screwed things up beyond belief. Switching back to Comcast was a no-brainer only in that the frustration with the incredible incompetence of Frontier made even Comcast seem preferable.

Being an audio and videophile I'd be the first to complain about quality and perhaps Frontier has upped their game since we left, but with respect to HD Comcast's signal is about equal to FiOS and there are a few more HD channels that we wanted that Frontier didn't offer. HBO Go works fine on our iPads, etc. but we don't take advantage of it too often. Comcast's reliability has been rock-solid (unlike it was when we had them years ago).

Comcast's current download broadband speeds (after they boosted them a year ago or so) are about triple that of Frontier's in our neighborhood. Uploads are about half as fast though. Speed varies depending on the time of day, users on the headend, etc., but it's pretty steady overall.

All of that said, I firmly believe that all cable companies are the spawn of the devil. Only since the market has become competitive have any of them made the slightest effort at improving what they do or caring what their customers think.

Would we go back to Frontier? Hell may be freezing over at the moment, but probably not. OTOH (even though we think they are traitors for leaving) if Verizon were to come back into the market and pick up where they left off we'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat.

Still working on cutting the cable and the day is getting closer but it's not here just yet.

post #1819 of 1826 Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmihalik View Post

I'm still a subriber and will remain so.

The Comcast and DirecTV alternative is inferior.

I have a workaround for HBO go and the other streaming services, but have never relied on them. VOD is sufficient for me too, and I have a big DVR.

I've corresponded with the Oregon management team, and they acknowledge their many programming deficiencies. Their NBC biased internet streaming access is mediocre at best.

Comcast looks good on the service but their HD quality and internet speed simply don't match what FiOS can deliver today.

Just re-upped from a triple to a double-play (TV/Internet) with Frontier. While I'm happy with pretty solid performance of the two services, I am going to slightly disagree with the sentiment regarding Comcast's inferiority. My neighbor just switched from Frontier FiOS to Comcast and I was pretty impressed with the PQ of the HD channels. They have clearly improved their compression algorithm. My neighbor was sold on the X1 DVR and the advertised top speed of 50 Mbps, which (at least on paper) beats the 35 Mbps top offering of FiOS.
There is no sign that Frontier has any plan to improve their FiOS offering. We'll see what transpires in a year or two!
post #1820 of 1826 Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the feedback on Comcast. Good to hear they have made improvements.

May have to give them a call and do another comparison. Should be easy since all the wiring is still intact for me.

From my testing in the past, the HD quality varied - premium movie channels and sports were always very good on Comcast. It was the broadcast network and ordinary HD cable channels that seemed poorer quality. For the broadcast network channels I compared OTA to FiOS and Comcast.

Yes, Frontier doesn't quite know how to handle the fine product they have in their hands. As for Verizon coming back, I don't think that would ever happen unless Verizon were to acquire Frontier.

Verizon left the markets since the numbers just didn't add-up. They saw there was little chance to expand the subscriber base, and the revenue flow from existing subscribers simply didn't pay the return they needed.

Would be interesting to be the mouse in the corner at Frontier's programming and marketing meetings.

M2 in OR
we live in interesting times
post #1821 of 1826 Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Not quite the "mouse in the corner" whisper, but I have been told by one of the regional managers that their TV programming cost was way up. He gave me the example of 600% increase in the cost of Disney-owned channels (ESPN, ABC, etc.).

Just today, over at DSLreports, I read that Comcast is about to double their 25 Mbps speed to 50 (and their 50 to 100). If this keeps up, Frontier FiOS top speed tier may become Comcast's bottom tier. Quite an irony given the fiber advantage!
post #1822 of 1826 Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM

Aren't those download speeds on Comcast just a result of Speed Boost? That operates no where near 100% of the time.
post #1823 of 1826 Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so I don't read the fine print on my electronic bills. But when I saw a rise in my monthly payment on the statement just received I was directed to page 4 of the prior month's bill by the CSR at Frontier I called to investgate. Sure enough the charge for my HD Extreme package was increased $4 from $$74.99 to $78.99. In addition, there's a new charge "FiOS TV Broadcasting Fee" for $1.25. Both are explained on my April statement. So heads up to you all; Frank is on the march. Ultimate HD package price is not affected. (I do get a negotiated credit of $14.99 from the last time I re-upped.)
ChaddyOwl likes this.
post #1824 of 1826 Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Just noticed the same thing on my latest bill that made me go back and look at the previous month's bill also.
As you noted, Extreme HD rose $4, plus they added an additional $1.25. Here's the statement they give about that $1.25.
In recent years, the cost of retransmitting broadcast television signals has significantly increased. In order to maintain the level of local broadcast channels on the FiOS TV line-up, we will pass-through a portion of the retransmission fees. We are implementing a Frontier Broadcast TV Fee of $1.25, effective on your April 2014 bill cycle. This Frontier charge will be included in the Taxes and Other Charges section of your bill
post #1825 of 1826 Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else out there watching the Golf Channel on Frontier? I have noticed very frequent stuttering of the video for the past couple of weeks. When weekend coverage switches over to the network stations the stuttering stops. I have noticed it on all their tournament coverages, men's PGA, LPGA, .com tour, etc. I even noticed it during the LPGA event at Columbia-Edgewater. Anyone know what's up?
post #1826 of 1826 Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Yep, have noticed the same thing on the Golf Channel. I'm in the Gresham area.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page