Portland, OR - Frontier - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1824 Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Received a call back from Verizon this morning and basically took down the pre-order information...he said the expected rollout is First Week of January.

If it comes sooner, those on the pre-order list will be contacted first for an installation date/confirmation that they do in fact want to switch/add FiOS TV.

No other news to report really...it does look like you can still order the "double-play" off of the web site though at this point. My gut feeling is that it's much closer to rollout than January.

I can confirm that Verizon is in discussions with Comcast Sports Net Northwest (CSNN) to carry that channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1824 Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Liked: 10
For whatever it's worth, this is what I was told yesterday by the people at the Verizon Wireless store, in Tanasbourne east of 185th, sort of near Target...

They'll start taking pre-orders as early as this Friday, 11/9. It may slip; possibly as late as 11/25 (or more). They won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow (Wednesday). Sales training has supposedly already started.

The pre-order rollout will be done a local area at a time; the first will supposedly be Aloha/Beaverton area. Once the process is going more areas will be added, one each week.

The sales staff at the fios display is keeping a list of people to call when orders are possible. That list may be restricted to people who already have fios installed; that wasn't clear to me.

How meaningful the above is of course depends on whether the sales staff when I was there really knew anything...
post #183 of 1824 Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 PM

Hopefully the above is correct. I live about a mile from that Verizon store and I alrady have FiOS installed. Just waiting for TV!!! The conversation I had with the installer at that time knew I was also waiting for TV and we went over what would happen - should be as simple as a coax run.....nothing more. All I need is the box, I'll do the rest tonight!!
post #184 of 1824 Old 11-06-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was inspired by these tales, so even though I'm in Tigard, I called the 1-800-Get-Fios number and successfully preordered my FIOS TV. Supposedly it will be available beginning Jan 6th.

So the process is that once Jan 6th gets near (or whatever the rollout date for Tigard is) they'll call and set up the installation. I just went ahead and ordered the Triple Play (or is that Comcast's term, lol?). BTW, be prepared to tell them some details such as if you have all the coaxial outlets you need and how many and what kinds of digital boxes or DVR's you require.
post #185 of 1824 Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Latest word from the same Tanasbourne Verizon store...

It's still possible that ordering might open up by Friday, 11/9, though ify. They won't know for sure until tomorrow night (Thursday night). 11/25 is more likely. Once ordering for these early installs open, install delays should be around a week.
post #186 of 1824 Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Verizon was a little more forthcoming as to their expected rollout dates/locations, etc. So many people are ready and waiting, why not throw them a bone already. Oh well, what's that saying, "good things come to those who wait..."
post #187 of 1824 Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrain View Post

Verizon was a little more forthcoming as to their expected rollout dates/locations, etc. So many people are ready and waiting, why not throw them a bone already. Oh well, what's that saying, "good things come to those who wait..."

They can't be more forthcoming. They have to slow-play this rollout for two reasons. First, there will be inevitable bugs. (The pioneers get the arrows in their backs). Second, each install is very labor intensive. There isn't an army of trained installers just sitting around, waiting. What would happen if 20,000 people signed up in one week?
post #188 of 1824 Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

They can't be more forthcoming. They have to slow-play this rollout for two reasons. First, there will be inevitable bugs. (The pioneers get the arrows in their backs). Second, each install is very labor intensive. There isn't an army of trained installers just sitting around, waiting. What would happen if 20,000 people signed up in one week?

Labor intensive? For those already with an ONT and FiOS internet installed, two cablecards and the flip of a switch is all I need...don't need any additional outlets or even a set top box.

Agreed on the untrained installers and the masses signing up...that probably wouldn't work too well.
post #189 of 1824 Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Should provide it first to existing FiOS customers first, and then roll out to the rest. I don't really want to move my router from where it's at, which is not anywhere near the tv, but also don't want to run coaxial from it around the house to the existing wiring already. Worst case, I move the box from one telephone jack to another and go wireless on the main computer.
post #190 of 1824 Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Labor intensive? For those already with an ONT and FiOS internet installed, two cablecards and the flip of a switch is all I need...don't need any additional outlets or even a set top box.

In some cases it will be easy for Verizon. But even in your case, maybe Verizon will be like Comcast and do a "truck roll" to get you the cablecards. Even assuming nothing goes wrong, that truck roll is time consuming and expensive.

There will be others with an existing ONT and existing FiOS over twisted pair. Those people might need coax routed around their house.

There will be other people, like me, who have an empty Verizon plastic pipe crossing under the street to my house. For those people, Verizon will need to come out with a piece of fiber, connect it to the FiOS tap, fish it under the street, dig a trench thru my yard to the side of my house, add an ONT, maybe add twisted pair, maybe add coax. Then make sure everything works. Very labor intensive!
post #191 of 1824 Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

The latest word, again from the same Tanasbourne Verizon store...

The goal is to physically start early installs roughly 11/25, again just for the first test area. Preordering for these installs could open any time next week. These dates will only happen if Verizon thinks they're ready.
post #192 of 1824 Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

In some cases it will be easy for Verizon. But even in your case, maybe Verizon will be like Comcast and do a "truck roll" to get you the cablecards. Even assuming nothing goes wrong, that truck roll is time consuming and expensive.

There will be others with an existing ONT and existing FiOS over twisted pair. Those people might need coax routed around their house.

There will be other people, like me, who have an empty Verizon plastic pipe crossing under the street to my house. For those people, Verizon will need to come out with a piece of fiber, connect it to the FiOS tap, fish it under the street, dig a trench thru my yard to the side of my house, add an ONT, maybe add twisted pair, maybe add coax. Then make sure everything works. Very labor intensive!

The trenching and stuff would take place before your install date. Which is why customers who don't have FiOS already running in their homes would probably have 1 week out install dates then customers who have it already.
post #193 of 1824 Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

My install date is Wed. but I got a call this morning saying that were at my house doing prep work and wanted to get into my crawlspace. I'm not sure what that was about.

Anyway, I'm still hoping they'll install TV but I doubt it'll happen.
post #194 of 1824 Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Rather than the real installer (who just deals with the ONT box and inside the house issues) that sounds like the non-Verizon contractor crew that strings the FIOS cable from the street to the best spot on your house (usually your garage). In my case they meant well but weren't as careful as I would have liked. I had to patch oversized holes in my foundation's wire vent grates when they could have just clipped a couple little wires.

In short, be sure to double check the work they did. You don't want to end up with mice in your basement because they were too sloppy.
post #195 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

Here's some info from the pre-order I just placed. Hopefully it's helpful to others.

If you pre-order, and your services are already bundled, you receive a $5 discount which starts immediately.

The Premier package w/ 2 HD DVRs was 68.97 per month. The HD DVRs are priced at $12.95 per month each. When you add the bundle discount, that drops to $55 per month.

They are running a promotion that allows you to add a movie package (either Stars+Showtime or HBO or HBO+Max) for $20 which includes an HD DVR. In other words, for another $8, you can get one of the movie packages.

After adding such a package, my bundle price rose to 148.97 ($61.23 of which was the TV portion). That doesn't include taxes -- they don't have an estimate for taxes in Oregon yet (or at least she didn't).

Cable cards are available for $2.99 each for TIVO owners/fans.

Basic service ("Premier") includes Fox Sports Northwest since that is our regional Fox Sports affiliate. The rep lives in Seattle and has FIOS TV and she receives FSNW. That doesn't necessarily confirm that they have the same licensing agreement worked out in Oregon yet.

Finally, as far as install dates, she still quoted the 1/6/08 date for the launch of service. She said that is the date all of the state licensing takes effect, so she didn't expect it could or would happen sooner.

Caveat: the sales rep made two or three statements that suggested she wasn't very familiar with the technical aspects of their service, so some of her info may not be completely accurate. e.g. she thought the Home Media Hub ($20/month) could stream HD video to the other HD receivers in the house. I have read in several places, including Verizon's web site, that it can only stream non-HD content. An update is expected in 2008 to allow HD streaming.
post #196 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Not directly relevant for those of us with Verizon, but the Oregonian is running an article that suggests Qwest is backtracking on providing TV to their Portland customers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/...610.xml&coll=7
post #197 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM

While in some other states, Verizon does try for a state-wide license (e.g. Texas), that's not true in Oregon. Verizon is getting franchise agreements from individual cities and cable tv commissions. On at least the west side, most/all of those are in place.

The difference might be due to Verizon having no intention of providing service to the entire state of Oregon; just to the old General Telephone (now Verizon) serviced areas.
post #198 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM

Yesterday, I called to reconfirm my "pre-order" for FiOS TV. Everything was good to go and when they're ready to install the service, I'll get a call.

The only thing holding me back is the Comcast Sports Net NW channel...especially the HD version of such. I was at a friend's place last night watching the Blazers vs. Pistons on ch. 788 (comcast) in HD and was very impressed. CSNN has the leverage against other service providers (verizon, dishn, dtv), especially if the team continues to play well. Hopefully something will be worked out by January or whenever the TV service comes online for our area.
post #199 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well the installer just left - no TV but the 15/2 is looking pretty nice. The install went fast, only 2.5 hrs. He said they were rolling out the TV in Aloha first, starting tomorrow, then Hillsboro a little later. He's going to give me a call when it's available for me.
post #200 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlinNulland View Post

Rather than the real installer (who just deals with the ONT box and inside the house issues) that sounds like the non-Verizon contractor crew that strings the FIOS cable from the street to the best spot on your house (usually your garage). In my case they meant well but weren't as careful as I would have liked. I had to patch oversized holes in my foundation's wire vent grates when they could have just clipped a couple little wires.

In short, be sure to double check the work they did. You don't want to end up with mice in your basement because they were too sloppy.

They ended up going under my driveway because I wasn't home. I still can't figure out why they wanted into the crawlspace since they'd have to then come back towards the front of the house to get to the garage. My grass is a little worse for wear and they dug up a flower bed which I'll probably hear about for the next 6 mos. but overall not a big deal.
post #201 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Hopefully it will come to Beaverton/WA County/Bethany area sooner than the stated Jan. 6th.
post #202 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Yesterday, I called to reconfirm my "pre-order" for FiOS TV. Everything was good to go and when they're ready to install the service, I'll get a call.

The only thing holding me back is the Comcast Sports Net NW channel...especially the HD version of such. I was at a friend's place last night watching the Blazers vs. Pistons on ch. 788 (comcast) in HD and was very impressed. CSNN has the leverage against other service providers (verizon, dishn, dtv), especially if the team continues to play well. Hopefully something will be worked out by January or whenever the TV service comes online for our area.

Hey jtrain, when you say you were "very impressed" just how impressed was that? . The reason I ask is because the first HD CSNNW Blazer game looked good except there was moderate blocking on the close shots with movement. When I watched the game last night the blocking was much worse. Are you saying you actually saw clean PQ last night?

ron
post #203 of 1824 Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, Verizon has started a tele-marketing command to get people on the pre-order list for fios tv. All the person would say is Jan. 6 or earlier.
post #204 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

TV Now Available!

Well, not quite but it's showing up on the Channel Lineup now (see the bottom left purple box). I still get the "Good News...TV not yet available" when I do the check.

post #205 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Hey jtrain, when you say you were "very impressed" just how impressed was that? . The reason I ask is because the first HD CSNNW Blazer game looked good except there was moderate blocking on the close shots with movement. When I watched the game last night the blocking was much worse. Are you saying you actually saw clean PQ last night?

ron

I was watching the game on a 42" Vizio, through Comcast Cable box and the quality was tremendous (speaking of the Pistons/Blazers game on Tuesday evening). The picture was definitively clear, there was never any breakup and even the up-rezzed SD commercials looked good. I can't see Verizon negotiating too heavily to get the HD version of CSNNW unless a lot of customers write/request for it to be added to the channel lineup...and I emphasize A LOT.

I'm unsure as to how many RSN's (Regional Sports Networks) with an HD simulcast channel are picked up by Verizon nationally. The only one I've actually heard/read of is the CSNMA - which I'm supposing is either Massachusetts or Maryland. But there may be more. Talk about a pleasant Christmas surprise...CSNNW HD on the Verizon channel lineup.
post #206 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM

That channel lineup still doesn't show FSN or CSNNW, even if you add the Sports Package to the Premier Package. I hope they get that sorted out sooner than later with those negotiations...I did notice that an additional HD channel has been added since the last time the channel lineup was available...Discovery HD.
post #207 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Hmmmm... when I try the channel linup web page today, it doesn't work 97006 or 97123 (what was shown above). It does work for 97005, showing as region "Beaverton MACC".
post #208 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero4wolfe View Post

Hmmmm... when I try the channel linup web page today, it doesn't work 97006 or 97123 (what was shown above). It does work for 97005, showing as region "Beaverton MACC".

97006 works for me. Beaverton, Hillsboro, and Washington County show up in the City/Region list.
post #209 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

97006 works for me. Beaverton, Hillsboro, and Washington County show up in the City/Region list.

Same here...so close yet January 6th seems so far away...hehe
post #210 of 1824 Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM

I think I found out why I didn't see 97006; the Verizon web site might have something cached locally. Using a different browser with a different cache directory, I can now see a lineup for 97006.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page