Lansing, MI - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2739 Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These dropouts have been occurring for the last several days. I sent an email to WKAR this morning. Hope they can solve this. The high definition programming is almost unwatchable because of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2739 Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmill View Post

These dropouts have been occurring for the last several days. I sent an email to WKAR this morning. Hope they can solve this. The high definition programming is almost unwatchable because of this.

You're right there are bunches of audio dropouts. We're checking on them.

Thanks for the note.
post #363 of 2739 Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We reduced the maximum bit rate allowed to video, which has the byproduct of increasing the null packet count, now at about 600kbs. The audio pops seem to have gone away.

Let me know if you are still experiencing any difficulties.

Gary Blievernicht (517) 432-3120 x 201 garyb@wkar.org
post #364 of 2739 Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybliev View Post

We reduced the maximum bit rate allowed to video, which has the byproduct of increasing the null packet count, now at about 600kbs. The audio pops seem to have gone away.

Let me know if you are still experiencing any difficulties.

Gary Blievernicht (517) 432-3120 x 201 garyb@wkar.org

sweet, ill check it out when i get home. I was kind of disappointed about the aduio drop outs the other night during frontline. But anyways keep up the good work!
post #365 of 2739 Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last Friday, I had about a 45 minute conversation with Bill Connors from Comcast. He is the head of operations for the Midwest region (I sent a lengthy email to Steve Burke and he got me in contact with Bill).

First, the good that I took from the conversation with Bill...

Comcast will be rolling out a standardized Sports & Entertainment tier. We should eventually be seeing GolTV and CSTV added at some point, but no timeline was given. Comcast wants that consistent across the entire footprint.

Also, we should be seeing an HDPPV channel show up for In Demand HD events and Season Pass sports subscriptions. He is supposed to be getting back to me on this with a confirmation this week sometime.

Finally, a digital subscription is no longer required to subscribe to the Sports & Entertainment tier. A person with expanded basic can request and recieve only the Sports Tier and not purchase any other Digital package.

Now the bad...

Comcast is 100% against the Big Ten Network and apparently any sports properties that it doesn't own. They are accusing the BTN of taking away free games from the fans and "forcing" them to raise prices with a new network. Comcast claims that the Big Ten will be making upwards of $360m/year from this network.

I asked him about Versus and The Golf Channel being on expanded basic and he mildly avoided the question. He kept bring it back to the non-sports fans that would have to pay for this channel. I tried to bring up the massive profits for Comcast and the irregularities with the movement of the NFL Network and no answer was given.

Bill stated that over 70% of a persons cable bill is spent directly on programming costs. I have yet to locate any reports that confirm/deny that number.

I provided him some numbers that showed the channel when leveraged across the entire Comcast footprint, would cost less than $0.35/sub, but he replied with why should a person in Florida have to subsidize a channel that they have no interest in. At this point I tried to bring up ala carte, but the subject was quickly changed.

Bill told me that Comcast had not heard from the BTN in a few weeks and that there was no room for negotiation with the Big Ten. He indicated that the BTN was making all or nothing demands, yet since then, it has come out in the media that the Big Ten has gotten no counter offers from Comcast.

Bill also stated that on ANY given day, Comcast will take more subscribers from D*, than will go in the opposite direction. He said Comcast will not have a noticeable drop and D* doesn't expect any major jump just because of this one service.

Reading between the lines, Comcast's stance is that the BTN will be on the sports tier or there will be no agreement.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #366 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Last Friday, I had about a 45 minute conversation with Bill Connors from Comcast. He is the head of operations for the Midwest region (I sent a lengthy email to Steve Burke and he got me in contact with Bill).

First, the good that I took from the conversation with Bill...

Comcast will be rolling out a standardized Sports & Entertainment tier. We should eventually be seeing GolTV and CSTV added at some point, but no timeline was given. Comcast wants that consistent across the entire footprint.

Also, we should be seeing an HDPPV channel show up for In Demand HD events and Season Pass sports subscriptions. He is supposed to be getting back to me on this with a confirmation this week sometime.

Finally, a digital subscription is no longer required to subscribe to the Sports & Entertainment tier. A person with expanded basic can request and recieve only the Sports Tier and not purchase any other Digital package.

Now the bad...

Comcast is 100% against the Big Ten Network and apparently any sports properties that it doesn't own. They are accusing the BTN of taking away free games from the fans and "forcing" them to raise prices with a new network. Comcast claims that the Big Ten will be making upwards of $360m/year from this network.

I asked him about Versus and The Golf Channel being on expanded basic and he mildly avoided the question. He kept bring it back to the non-sports fans that would have to pay for this channel. I tried to bring up the massive profits for Comcast and the irregularities with the movement of the NFL Network and no answer was given.

Bill stated that over 70% of a persons cable bill is spent directly on programming costs. I have yet to locate any reports that confirm/deny that number.

I provided him some numbers that showed the channel when leveraged across the entire Comcast footprint, would cost less than $0.35/sub, but he replied with why should a person in Florida have to subsidize a channel that they have no interest in. At this point I tried to bring up ala carte, but the subject was quickly changed.

Bill told me that Comcast had not heard from the BTN in a few weeks and that there was no room for negotiation with the Big Ten. He indicated that the BTN was making all or nothing demands, yet since then, it has come out in the media that the Big Ten has gotten no counter offers from Comcast.

Bill also stated that on ANY given day, Comcast will take more subscribers from D*, than will go in the opposite direction. He said Comcast will not have a noticeable drop and D* doesn't expect any major jump just because of this one service.

Reading between the lines, Comcast's stance is that the BTN will be on the sports tier or there will be no agreement.

What he said about the BTN taking away "free" games is a bunch of crap. ABC still gets to pick a 3:30 football game, ESPN still gets to pick noon and prime-time games and BTN will syndicate games locally just like ESPN was doing. BTN will also syndicate local hoops telecasts and the basketball TV structure is the same. We actually get many more games because D* will offer all football games from BTN plus whatever other sports they show (hello, volleyball!) Comcrap doesn't like it because they don't control it and they have already been handed their heads sports-wise by FSN.

Comcrap knows sports fans shell out a lot of money and that's why they're holding them over a barrel. If those bastards had their way the only channels you would get on the basic tier would be home shopping channels, and they make tons of $ off those to show you for no extra charge. Everything else you'd pay extra for, including your locals which they show only because the FCC makes them.

As far as his numbers on the flow of subscribers, I have real doubts if you stack TV-only numbers that Comcast wins. Total new subscribers (including for WWW), I will stipulate to that.
post #367 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

What he said about the BTN taking away "free" games is a bunch of crap. ABC still gets to pick a 3:30 football game, ESPN still gets to pick noon and prime-time games and BTN will syndicate games locally just like ESPN was doing. BTN will also syndicate local hoops telecasts and the basketball TV structure is the same.

BTN has said they are not going to syndicate any games. Comcast point about taking away free games is that most of the ESPN Plus games in the past were syndicated on OTA stations, that are available on basic or free with an antenna.
post #368 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

BTN has said they are not going to syndicate any games. Comcast point about taking away free games is that most of the ESPN Plus games in the past were syndicated on OTA stations, that are available on basic or free with an antenna.

But when 3 games were going on at the same time, only one would be shown. The BTN is offering Alt feeds to all providers that want them as part of the basic carriage. It is up to the provider if they are going to offer the overflow games.

The advantages of the BTN far out weigh the disadvantages. If Comcast was the partner in the BTN rather than FSN, they would be pushing it the exact same way. Hell look at the articles this week with the new Comcast SportsNet Northwest. They are requiring basic carriage in Portland and then digital else where, except the asking price is over $2.00/sub. Plus most games will be in HD and once again, every game has the possibility of being available, rather then 1-2 gmaes per week with ESPN Regional.

The biggie is Men's B-ball this fall and winter. BTN has all the weekday games that were either not televised or ESPN Plus didn't show outside the home markets will be available now. I have my D* order ready and will make the switch with no issues, once D10 is online

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #369 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FSN Detroit has their schedule up for the pistons

This shows the FSN HD games, and a full schedule and what provider they will be on.

I believe the OTA games in Detroit are HD, but the Lansing station is still MyNetwork 18 and they don't do any HD.

post #370 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But when 3 games were going on at the same time, only one would be shown. The BTN is offering Alt feeds to all providers that want them as part of the basic carriage. It is up to the provider if they are going to offer the overflow games.

Trust me, I fully understand the pros and cons of the BTN over ESPN Plus. My reply was just to state that BTN would not be syndicating any games and many of the games were previously on OTA stations.

To me it is too simplistic to blame Comcast or any other provider for not wanting to carry this network on expanded basic. To me this is two companies that are looking out for their own good as they should, with the fans unfortunately caught in the middle. If Comcast had a stake in the network it would of course be on Comcast from day 1, the fight would just be moved to another provider such as D*. Just look at the treatment that Golf Channel and Versus get on other carries then Comcast, those networks are only now getting be carriage as they have become more established and have acquired more high profile television rights. I think that Comcast's marketing about BTN is disenginous considering their ownership of similar sports channels, however, that is the nature of this business, in which most consumers don't know or don't care who owns what channel.

The football and basketball games that used to be only in the home markets, now being available across the whole big ten footprint (and the country) is a weak selling point. These games were the last pick of all the games available and would have had very little draw outside of those home markets.

I will be pissed off the first time I miss a State game but Comcast won't be the only one I will be blaming, BTN will recieve equal blame in my book.
post #371 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Hey jefbal99,

I asked about E* and the OTARD info before. Let me briefly fill you in. I decided not to go with E* because I was told at first (by E*) that E* themselves do not do 3rd floor installations, and I needed to contact an E* provider, such as allsat, but I was told installation would likely involve "cementing a 6 foot pole on my wooden balcony" which I wasn't a fan of. I decided to give a couple D* outlets a call to learn that to get HDTV, I needed to sign a 2 year service agreement, which I don't want because I'm only going to live here for a year, and I don't know my plans before that. So, I decided Comcast was my only choice, and they were suprisingly cheaper than what D* offered me, but I learned at the COmcast office on Trowbridge road that my apartment wouldn't allow me to get Comcast. My apartment (DTN owned Riverwalk on S. Clippert) said it was a Comcast problem, Comcast said it was DTN, and when I finally got on the line with someone who knew what the F* they were talking about, she told me that I couldn't get Comcast and that D* was my only programming option and they "just found this out", even though I was told a week ago that I couldn't have E* and my choices were Comcast and D*.

So, I guess my questions to you are (as I think you're the only person who would have any clue, or this forum), first, is this even legal for them to monopolize television to my apartment? Is there anything I can do to fight to get Comcast? Also, do you know if this 2 year only HDTV contract is absolute on D*, or how much it would cost me to break the deal? It would seem that even though I planned and have made numerous calls to DTN management and spent the money on an HDTV, I won't get any HDTV, because I've been lied to numerous times and screwed over by misinformation. No, I didn't buy the OTA tuner model because I didn't think I'd need it. So, I guess, is it legal for me to be forced into D*, (even though I can still legally fight for E* that may not work and will damage my balcony, I think), and if it is not what should I do? Any reply would be overwhelmingly supportive. Thanks.
post #372 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JusteBelmont86, I will do a little research and let you know what I find, but I believe that you are getting a bit of bad info from D* and E*. Comcast may not be an option if the cable line won't support the current network setup, etc.

On a different note, I just swung by the Comcast office on Miller Rd and picked up a DCH3416 DVR. First thing I noticed is that it contains an M-Card (multi stream cablecard). I called Comcast a few weeks ago and they stated M-Cards didn't exist, then once I proved to them they existed that Comcast didn't carry them. I now know that is completely not true. As has been stated in other areas, the DCH's handle SD channels a lot better than the DCT6412. The box seems a bit faster.

Also, 255 no longer has the static screen about being a placeholder for the BTN, and is now just a test pattern. I listened to the BTN launch teleconference this afternoon, currently Comcast is the only video provider that is not in talks to carry the channel.

post #373 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 PM

There is a countdown clock for BTN on D* channel 220, which will be its main channel when it goes operational tonight. Overflow games will be on channels 218, 219 and 221.
post #374 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a countdown clock for BTN on D* channel 220, which will be its main channel when it goes operational tonight. Overflow games will be on channels 218, 219 and 221.

drool, Cornell, has the guide been updated for 92, 94, or 98 for Saturday at noon? There is speculation that the 3 BTN HD games will show up there.

post #375 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very odd right now, both WSYM and WSYM HD have the Loins vs the Bills listed as programming, so does the NFL Network and NFL Network HD.

WSYM is showing that 70's show, NFL Network HD is blacked out and NFL Network as the Broncos vs. Cleveland.

WTF?!?!?

post #376 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Very odd right now, both WSYM and WSYM HD have the Loins vs the Bills listed as programming, so does the NFL Network and NFL Network HD.

WSYM is showing that 70's show, NFL Network HD is blacked out and NFL Network as the Broncos vs. Cleveland.

WTF?!?!?

I assume it is the same case as Detroit, delayed broadcast because of the non-sellout.
post #377 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:

drool, Cornell, has the guide been updated for 92, 94, or 98 for Saturday at noon? There is speculation that the 3 BTN HD games will show up there.

Nothing unusual listed for them yet. We have 36 hours to go before kickoff, though
post #378 of 2739 Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

I assume it is the same case as Detroit, delayed broadcast because of the non-sellout.

I thought WKBD and WSYM delayed all the home preseason games regardless. Anyway, the local broadcast was delayed two hours. Just as well fewer people saw it anyway as the Lions snatched another defeat from the jaws of victory.

It was weird early in the game because D* wasn't showing the game live on NFLN-HD, but did show it live on NFLN-SD until 9 pm. The Buffalo broadcast team was given the first half.
post #379 of 2739 Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM

I was at the travesty in Ann Arbor so I don't know if D* showed any of the Big Ten Network afternoon games in HD. I did not see any listings for the two evening games for HD, just SD only.
post #380 of 2739 Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was at the travesty in Ann Arbor so I don't know if D* showed any of the Big Ten Network afternoon games in HD. I did not see any listings for the two evening games for HD, just SD only.

I was in East Lansing and the stadium exploded every time the score from Ann Arbor was announced

post #381 of 2739 Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 PM

What's the latest gossip on WSYM 's plans for 47.2?
post #382 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the latest gossip on WSYM 's plans for 47.2?

Haven't heard mention since the radio interview that was linked in the old thread this past winter I think.

I think it was a wkar news cast or something.

Am i way offbase?

post #383 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Haven't heard mention since the radio interview that was linked in the old thread this past winter I think.

I think it was a wkar news cast or something.

Am i way offbase?

That sounds right. I was thinking it was even as far back as a last fall that 47.2 was brought up and then the topic disappeared.
post #384 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds right. I was thinking it was even as far back as a last fall that 47.2 was brought up and then the topic disappeared.

Yeah, I just found the two posts, it was back in early January...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8tgy View Post

I was listening to WKAR-FM this morning. They had a news item on DTV in Lansing, and it sounds like WSYM will be changing the programing on 47.2 sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybeliev View Post

Scott Pohl's stoy is at:
http://wkar.org/morningedition/story.php?storyid=1044

(Real media encoded)

If I remember correctly, all it mention was there would be a programming change on 47.2, but never said anything specific. I can't get to WKAR from work so I'll have to listen to it again at home tonight.

post #385 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM

I recall a post from jefbal99 that you got the new moto DCH 3416 cable box. I was wondering if you can still get wkar ch. 13 on it? The programing carried on 13 isn't carried on 240. The way I understand it, the DCH 3416 is only digital and has no analog tuner. Could you check that out, thanks.

Larry
post #386 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

I recall a post from jefbal99 that you got the new moto DCH 3416 cable box. I was wondering if you can still get wkar ch. 13 on it? The programing carried on 13 isn't carried on 240. The way I understand it, the DCH 3416 is only digital and has no analog tuner. Could you check that out, thanks.

Get it just fine, Lansing is running ADS, every channel has a digital simulcast.

Just checked the Channel status and it is at 735.0000MHz, I can't remember the conversion, but you can figure the QAM channel from that.

post #387 of 2739 Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watching a House re run tonight, I saw a WSYM PSA for 47.1 and free HDTV. "No need for digital cable or satellite TV, HDTV from WSYM is free on 47.1"

Kind of shocking actually, hope to see all of the stations doing this soon.

WILX needs to push 10.2

post #388 of 2739 Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM

OK Jeffball and others correct me if i'm wrong here, I currently have comcast and am thinking of making the switch to D*:

So when D10 is activated D* will have FSNHD in lansing, and then phase in all the new channels over the next several weeks - with possibly on-demand next year.

Then we'll have to see how the MPEG-4 quality is on all of these new channels in comparison to comcast.

Then i get the new huge dish, the adapter thing installed, and have to buy the $199 (with 99 rebate) HD-DVR for my HD tv.

Also order additional regular DVR for bedroom.

Then I'll order plus package 69.99 + 2nd dvr fee (5$) = $75 a month

I have an old directv tivo receiver sony T180? that i loved, and my wife hates the comcast box which seems to be slowing down. So we've been thinking about switching for a while. But i want to make sure that i'm hooked up on the HD front.
post #389 of 2739 Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Well, I went to the Miller Rd. office and got the new DCH 3416, thanks to the heads up from Jeff. Odd thing is when I got it home and all hooked up and called Comcast to get a signal sent to it, it was already activated. Weird, but whatever, it's all working good. Thanks Jeff. I love a free upgrade to my entertainment system!

Larry
post #390 of 2739 Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I honestly don't know the answer, I've been lurking around over at DBStalk.com, trying to figure out what all I would need if I made the switch.

I'm really struggling to pay $199.99 for a HD DVR that I have to lease from them.

Also, since the Lansing locals are not on a spotbeam, you'll need an OTA antenna to get the Big 4 networks. I've been reading on multi-switches for multiple satellite signals to a receiver and diplexers to split OTA signals.

There is a lot of info out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page