Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybliev View Post

WLAJ's new brand is ABC-3. Premiering tonight:
ABC-3 news at 6
ABC-3 News at 10 on The CW
ABC-3 News at 11

The "3" is the same logic that WOTV uses for their "4" I guess they think that viewers attach more credibility to single digit VHF style numbers.

Well, thanks for that info.

Apparently WLAJ thinks we are morons, but whatever.

The Wikipedia article notes that one reason for the change is that most cable providers have them on channel 3. They are bringing in someone from WDIV in Detroit and WWMT in GR to shake up operations. Normal newscast at 10PM on The CW, etc.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2735 Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybliev View Post

WLAJ's new brand is ABC-3. Premiering tonight:
ABC-3 news at 6
ABC-3 News at 10 on The CW
ABC-3 News at 11

The "3" is the same logic that WOTV uses for their "4" I guess they think that viewers attach more credibility to single digit VHF style numbers.

Cable channel 3 in the Comcast Lansing & East Lansing lineups?

They would have been Channel 51 in a couple of years anyway...

East Lansing (Lansing, MI DMA) A/V enthusiast getting content from xfinity, Netflix, OTA and off the shelf-o'-discs. A 4228 in the attic is almost good enough.
post #453 of 2735 Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post

Cable channel 3 in the Comcast Lansing & East Lansing lineups?

They would have been Channel 51 in a couple of years anyway...

Comcast channel 3 in Jackson as well
post #454 of 2735 Old 09-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Ok, so I got an HDCP monitor, now every 3 seconds the screen goes snowy. Is this more encryption or what?
post #455 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 05:42 AM

Noticed last night WKAR-DT is now able to insert weather "craws" on the HD channel and the other three program streams. First time I have seen that on the HD channel. I also noticed that that the audio and video were not in sync last night on WKAR-DT, not sure if that was a PBS issue or just local to WKAR-DT. Sounds like that has been a issue with PBS this week with "The War". From my recordings of "The War" this past week, it looks like the HD stream is using between 8 and 9 Mbytes/sec. of the data stream. Looked OK on my "big" 15 inch HDTV. "The War" parts 2 and 3 are both small enough to fit in .MPG format or as a HD-DVD on a double layer DVD. I don't think the first show (2.5 hours long) will fit on a single DVD. When I get a chance I will check out one of my HD-DVD formated disks on my daughters HDTV and see how good it looks on a bigger screen.
post #456 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I added the new D* nationals to the HD list in the first post

Quote:

Noticed last night WKAR-DT is now able to insert weather "craws" on the HD channel and the other three program streams. First time I have seen that on the HD channel.

I don't watch enough WKAR-DT, but this is very exciting for our market. As I previously noted, WILX can do their bug in the national HD feeds and I'm guessing that WKAR could do that for quite sometime.

Hopefully we'll see more upgrades this fall and spring for Weather alerts and other crawls so that we no longer get dropped into SD by local info.

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #457 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

I added the new D* nationals to the HD list in the first post

I don't watch enough WKAR-DT, but this is very exciting for our market. As I previously noted, WILX can do their bug in the national HD feeds and I'm guessing that WKAR could do that for quite sometime.

Hopefully we'll see more upgrades this fall and spring for Weather alerts and other crawls so that we no longer get dropped into SD by local info.

I as well noticed that, and was also glad to see CBS only showing the weather bug during commercials. hahah. I was though having some signal issues with WLAJ last night, stupid rain!
post #458 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb8tgy View Post

Noticed last night WKAR-DT is now able to insert weather "craws" on the HD channel and the other three program streams. First time I have seen that on the HD channel. I also noticed that that the audio and video were not in sync last night on WKAR-DT, not sure if that was a PBS issue or just local to WKAR-DT. Sounds like that has been a issue with PBS this week with "The War". From my recordings of "The War" this past week, it looks like the HD stream is using between 8 and 9 Mbytes/sec. of the data stream.

Apology first:

PBS had problems with lip sync Sunday and Monday, they postulate that the problem was related to the preponderance of noisy up-converted 16mm film causing the encoder to go into saturation. They have inserted a noise reducer into the path, early reports are that the Tuesday feed nationally was ok.

However, WKAR is having problems with both of our HD encoders. We've installed new software into our #1 unit, which promptly broke it. We are continuing to work with our vendor and the encoder manufacturer to resolve the issue.

Crawl: We've been crawling EAS and weather alerts on the 23.1 since March, 2004.

Data rates: We employ statistical multiplexing, most of the time, the HD rate will vary from 7M to 12M depending on content and the demands of the other streams. The HD encoder has the highest priority.
post #459 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Gary,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the programs I record will all have different sizes for the same length of time with your statistical multiplexer changing the data rate all the time. I was very surprised to see I could fit 2 hours on one DVD.
post #460 of 2735 Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 PM

D* has started activating channels on the D10 bird. BTN was one of the first HD channels turned on. D* definitely took care of the sports fans with the first wave of new channels. I didn't get home in time tonight to see much in the way of live sports on the new channels, but trust me, I plan on doing a lot of testing this weekend.
post #461 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

D* has started activating channels on the D10 bird. BTN was one of the first HD channels turned on. D* definitely took care of the sports fans with the first wave of new channels. I didn't get home in time tonight to see much in the way of live sports on the new channels, but trust me, I plan on doing a lot of testing this weekend.

hah, thats funny. I was just about to ask if the Big Ten Network is in HD anywhere. Im watching it right now in the Union (on MSU's campus) and am "thinking" about D*. But alas i have no money.... haha
post #462 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1st post was updated yesterday morning with channel numbers, satellite location, compression used, etc.

Keep an eye on the BTN alternates this weekend when they have multiple games, let me know if those are showing HD as well.

BTN schedule for HD
CFB Indiana Hoosiers vs Iowa Hawkeyes 12:00 PM BigTen
CFB Penn State Nittany Lions vs Illinois Fighting Illini 12:00 PM BigTen
CFB Michigan Wolverines vs Northwestern Wildcats 12:00 PM BigTen

post #463 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Hi,

Sorry, I've been busy with school for the last couple weeks and forgot all about my D* signal problems and such. Anyway, I see that you have new channels listed on the HD lineup for D*, and when I go to those channels I'm only getting the analog feed, on channels like BTN 220 and Discovery 278. Let me give you some numbers, and if you could, tell me if its serious complaint time.

I went outside and looked at the sats. on my apartment wall. I have a Oval 3LNBs as the main dish (Installer had it setup as 5LNB) and a WorldDirect dish that looks to be at 95 degrees (It has 2LNB, if thats what the little knobs are that point towards the dish). When I put this information in, for the first time ever, I got an errorless setup. I have the newest DirecTV HD box w/o DVR (H20) with the B-Band box, to my knowledge. My signal strengths are:

Sat 101 A Transponder 1 - 71%
Sat 119 B Transponder 22 - 65%
Sat 110 C Transponder 8 - 57%
Sat 95 (Net-1) Trans 1 - 40%

So, after setting up my correct equipment, my signal strength went nowhere, and I have no new channels. I also think my OVA HD looks better than my ESPN HD, for example. Is it serious complaint time, and when they tell me that my signal is weak because I'm an apartment with one dish for 24 rooms (I think this will happen) what do I tell them? And, am I overreacting about the new channels or should I have them right now? lastly, should I complain to my installer Directech MDU, or DirecTV directly? As always, without this forum, I would be lost. I'll try to keep up this time.

Justin

Edit: I just realized at class that my sat. setup never mentions a 103 degree sat. , when I go home, I'm going to check that out.

Edit2: I just realized that I need the 5LNB dish to decode MPEG4 signals, so this would explain my problem, unless the worlddirect 2LNB dish + my 3LNB dish = 5LNB dish. When I go home, I'm going to try and get a 103 degree signal, but I don't think I've ever got it without error. Why would direcTV install the 3LNB dish on a brand new apartment complex 2 months ago?
post #464 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like your installer screwed the pooch, call back and complain, get them out there with a 5lnb

post #465 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM

Called back, complained, they told me I was wrong, that I had a 5LNB when the sat. outside my apartment only has 3 prongs and comes up "Not Installed" under 103 degrees. The only other possibility is that my "World Direct" sat. is my 103 degree, but I doubt that. They told me they talked to the head tech and its a 5LNB, that they couldn't send anyone out for a week because the channels should come on by then, that I'm not a trained professional, etc. Basically, I was told I don't know the difference between a 3LNB Oval and a Circle 5LNB, and that I have to wait a week before I can call them back and complain about the same problem, at which time, I will be worthy enough for a tech to come out and look at (not fix) my problem. Thanks for all the help on the forum.

Justin
post #466 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusteBelmont86 View Post

Called back, complained, they told me I was wrong, that I had a 5LNB when the sat. outside my apartment only has 3 prongs and comes up "Not Installed" under 103 degrees. The only other possibility is that my "World Direct" sat. is my 103 degree, but I doubt that. They told me they talked to the head tech and its a 5LNB, that they couldn't send anyone out for a week because the channels should come on by then, that I'm not a trained professional, etc. Basically, I was told I don't know the difference between a 3LNB Oval and a Circle 5LNB, and that I have to wait a week before I can call them back and complain about the same problem, at which time, I will be worthy enough for a tech to come out and look at (not fix) my problem. Thanks for all the help on the forum.

Justin

If you don't have the 20 X 35 dish with either the 3 + 2 LNB sidecar, or the 5 LNB slimline dish, and an H20 receiver or newer, you won't see the new HD channels. Only the newer D* receivers are capable of showing the new mpeg4 channels off the D10 bird. You also have to have the B-band converter feeding into your receiver.
post #467 of 2735 Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:

1st post was updated yesterday morning with channel numbers, satellite location, compression used, etc.

Keep an eye on the BTN alternates this weekend when they have multiple games, let me know if those are showing HD as well.

BTN schedule for HD
CFB Indiana Hoosiers vs Iowa Hawkeyes 12:00 PM BigTen
CFB Penn State Nittany Lions vs Illinois Fighting Illini 12:00 PM BigTen
CFB Michigan Wolverines vs Northwestern Wildcats 12:00 PM BigTen

Last word I had was D* would only be carrying the BTN primary game in HD, all others would be SD only. I do plan to be parked in front of the tube to see for myself this week.
post #468 of 2735 Old 09-28-2007, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Justin

Take a pic of your dish and post it here, we can tell ya what it is

Edit in:

Better yet, pick from the list of pictures below:

post #469 of 2735 Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Take a pic of your dish and post it here, we can tell ya what it is

Edit in:

Better yet, pick from the list of pictures below:

]

I've got #2. Did I win?
post #470 of 2735 Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got #2. Did I win?

That would be a 5lnb side car and along with an H20, H21, HR20, or HR21; you'de get the new HD

So yup, you win some new HD channels

post #471 of 2735 Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:

That would be a 5lnb side car and along with an H20, H21, HR20, or HR21; you'de get the new HD

So yup, you win some new HD channels

Oh my gosh, I WON! (grabs remote, jumps on couch) Look at these HD channels! They're beautiful! Hi, Mom! (waves as camera pans back to Jeff, who is wearing a cheesy game-show host's suit waiting for the next contestant)
post #472 of 2735 Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh my gosh, I WON! (grabs remote, jumps on couch) Look at these HD channels! They're beautiful! Hi, Mom! (waves as camera pans back to Jeff, who is wearing a cheesy game-show host's suit waiting for the next contestant)

At least you didn't say the vanna white dress

post #473 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 AM

D* is only showing the Big Ten Network's primary football game in HD. All the other games are SD only. Still beats Comcrap.
post #474 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D* is only showing the Big Ten Network's primary football game in HD. All the other games are SD only. Still beats Comcrap.

and E* beats them both

post #475 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I figured out yesterday I have the slimline and I am indeed the idiot. But, I'm still waiting to get my new channels, my Transponders for 103 degrees all come up 0 at the moment. I should still have them come out and boost my signals to my HD box. Thanks.
post #476 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, I just flipped to WLAJ for the MSU game and they actually have the HD signal up and running, I don't have to call them for once.

Its just shocking

Sparty On!

post #477 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I figured out yesterday I have the slimline and I am indeed the idiot. But, I'm still waiting to get my new channels, my Transponders for 103 degrees all come up 0 at the moment. I should still have them come out and boost my signals to my HD box. Thanks.

OK, you have the slimline dish, but do you have an H20, HR20, H21 or HR21 receiver? And if you have one of those receivers, do you have the B-band converter hooked up in the back?
post #478 of 2735 Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 PM

There are not many better ways to spend a Saturday than how I did it today. Other than having to rise early for an important meeting, once I returned home and took my appointed position on the couch it was a full day of eating, drinking and watching football from noon to past 1 am. And what a bunch of games to watch, eh? They didn't all turn out well, but from a TV-watching standpoint what a great day it was. Nearly every major football game you'd want to watch was in HD and I didn't even mind watching the Michigan-Northwestern game in SD.

I was at football games the first four Saturdays of the season, so this was my first full day of college football watching at home for the fall. I forgot how much work it is to sit on your a$$ watching a proper day of college football HDTV.
post #479 of 2735 Old 09-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Hey, A lot of the discussion in this forum is way over my head, but its the only place I know of to get solid avs help. I just moved to downtown lansing and set up my antenna for OTA HD channels. I'm picking up all the major networks perfect except for Fox 47.1. The strange thing is that I pick that channel up the best in analog. Any suggestions would be great.
post #480 of 2735 Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 AM

FatRabbit342,

Just try turning your antenna, you should be able to get them. They are south of town near WILX-DT and WLAJ-DT.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page