Lansing, MI - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2735 Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Updated first post, D* launched two more RSNs today, FSN Pittsburgh and FSN Midwest in HD

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2735 Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Comcast just lost a cable customer for at least 18 months, prolly 24 months because the lean is to D* right now...

I went into the Miller Rd. office on lunch to check out what pricing would be on Internet only or Internet plus basic.

I explained to the lady that i was unsatisfied with the rollout/announcement of new video services, especially HD and that I would be switching to D* or E*.

Typically that leads to them trying to sell you on a better plan or make you some type of sweet deal to stick around.

Nope, notta, nothing.

They made no attempt to keep me as a customer, just gave me pricing info and sent me on my way.

I was shocked to say the least.

Internet only is $60.00/month plus modem, and taxes/franchise fee

Internet and basic is just under $60.00/month and that includes basic cable, modem, and taxes/franchise fee. (Basic has jumped up to $11/month, so the discount is not as good as it used to be and I rent my modem because I've had too many go bad on me)

Making sure the wife is on board and then I'll be calling D*, as long as I can talk them to $99.00 for both recievers then we will have a winner.

BTW, D* deals changed today, get $10 off your package for a year rather than 4 months, but its a mail in, not auto. Gonna try and talk them into making that auto too.

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #543 of 2735 Old 10-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Liked: 10
Hey, good luck with the switch, jefbal99.
post #544 of 2735 Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusteBelmont86 View Post

Hey, good luck with the switch, jefbal99.

Research has been done, order placed.

Paid $199.00 for both my HR20 ande H20, but got an extra $100 back as a $10 monthly credit on top of the $10 off per month for 12 months on the HD DVR Plus package. PLus used my sister as a referral and got us each $50 credits

Gotta Call tomorrow for my install because the system wouldn't set it up for him.

Geeked, hopefully by next week this time, I'll be a full member of the dark side and tell Comcast to **** off.

post #545 of 2735 Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Holy crap, WILX is taking their HD graphics a bit further, watching life and just saw the anchors as part of an animated spot when coming back in from commercial.

gonna email gary again, see if we get crawls soon.

post #546 of 2735 Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 PM

Awesome - I'll see how you're switch to Directv goes then I may have to make the move. I think the only difference in my setup would be the hd-dvr ($199)and a non-hd dvr (99$) for upstairs. I have an old directv tivo-dvr, i wonder if they could still activate it as a receiver?

I'm also wondering about the dvr functionality compared to comcast and tivo.

althought if i make the switch to directv, then I'll never be able to get rid of my landline phone. sucks. but so much more HD!
post #547 of 2735 Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM

wait? WILX can now put up HD graphics? so does that mean the office will be in HD tonight during this huge storm? that would be mega.
post #548 of 2735 Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 PM

another question, is the EL network for comcast really that starved for bandwidth they can't have the fox HD feed? I find it absolutely absurd, especially with that horrific excuse for a channel MHD being in the lineup.
post #549 of 2735 Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copwill View Post

wait? WILX can now put up HD graphics? so does that mean the office will be in HD tonight during this huge storm? that would be mega.

They have a very limited system in place for HD graphics. No crawls or weather bugs yet.

post #550 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Are the major network New York and LA HD feeds available for those of us in the Lansing area or am I going to need an OTA for network HD?

And why in the world are my locals not yet available in HD?
post #551 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 AM

So WILX totally ruined my dvr recording of the office from last night. First 15 minutes were about the storm, show wasn't in HD, and just seemed like a mess of a recording. ARGH WILX!

Back to downloading the show for this week I guess...
post #552 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMAKER View Post

Are the major network New York and LA HD feeds available for those of us in the Lansing area or am I going to need an OTA for network HD?

And why in the world are my locals not yet available in HD?

you would have to get a signed waiver from each station and then send it to D* for them to enable the DNS feeds.

I can almost guarantee that they will not give you those waivers. If you have HR20/H20, there is a working ATSC tuner that integrates with the D* channel guide.

Pick up a UHF antenna and you'll be good.

post #553 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

you would have to get a signed waiver from each station and then send it to D* for them to enable the DNS feeds.

I can almost guarantee that they will not give you those waivers. If you have HR20/H20, there is a working ATSC tuner that integrates with the D* channel guide.

Pick up a UHF antenna and you'll be good.

That is what I plan to do tonight. Also, I called D* and told them I wasn't sure that I wanted to go through with their service. In turn they have reduced my monthly bill by $20 per month for the 1st 4 months.

They also told me the installer would hook my antenna up for me.
post #554 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is what I plan to do tonight. Also, I called D* and told them I wasn't sure that I wanted to go through with their service. In turn they have reduced my monthly bill by $20 per month for the 1st 4 months.

They also told me the installer would hook my antenna up for me.

I would make sure that you get that confirmed with the installer the day before. I have read many stories of CSRs promising things at install that the installers won't do.

When is you install?

Let me know of you get a SWM or regular 6x8MS. I tried to call Mid Michigan Microtech earlier, but they are having system issues. I want to confirm everything in my order and see if they have the SWMs yet.

I need to take out a bunch of RG-59 and replace with RG-6, but if the installers will do it for me, then I'll just wait for next Thursday.

post #555 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm really gald that I followed the order process documented by DBSTalk, it just saved me many headaches.

Quote:

I worked with a CSR Wednesday night to place my D* order and here is what I was quoted:

1 HD DVR
1 HD Receiver
5lnb Slimline dish
Professional installation

Plus HD DVR package at 69.99/month
HD Extra Pack 4.99/month

Free Starz for 3 months
Free Showtime for 3 months

$10/month for 12 months as part of current promotions
$10/month for 10 months hardware credits
$4.99/month credit for 3 months for HD Extra Pack

start up $232.09

It was everything that I wanted and was happy. I got my install window for this coming thursday.

Well, following the guide, I called Mid Michigan microtech (the installer) to confirm my order and it had been placed incorrectly for an HD DVR and a standard receiver. MMMC transfered me to D* order support who told me they had to cancel my order, then get me to D* sales to setup a new one correctly. They noted that I would prolly be charged an additional $99 for the receiver. I worked with another CSR that wouldn't honor the deal I had been quoted and I asked for a supervisor. After trying to not get me to talk to a supervisor, but not honro the deal, she finally said that she would transfer me. Instead of going to a supervisor I ended up with order support again. There they finally got me to a supervisor.

I worked with a wonderful supervisor and she was very sympathetically and empathetic of the situation and wanted to honor the setup that I had been quoted. She said that we would need to setup a new work order for just the HD DVR install and that would meet the price that I was quoted. Then once the new account was created, she would create a separate work order for the HD Receiver and wave all costs on it. She also noted on the work order that I would need the HR20 and H20 to get my locals OTA.

I was happy so we went ahead and did that. While finalizing the order (i had given my CC number and confirmed everything) the line went dead. My head swung down and I was thinking sh1t, i don't wanna go through all this again. Not 20 seconds later, the supervisor called me back to finish everything, I was shocked, I can only think of one time that Comcast went through anything like this for me (that was a rep in Minnesota when ESPN2HD got rolled out).

My install date got pushed back by one day to the 26th, but that is completely acceptable.

So needless to say, I'm very impressed right now with D* Customer Support and they have a very happy new customer, who will recommend the service to anyone and everyone.

post #556 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Glad to hear things are working out, Jeff. I've been with D* since 1997 and they've taken good care of me.
post #557 of 2735 Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

I would make sure that you get that confirmed with the installer the day before. I have read many stories of CSRs promising things at install that the installers won't do.

When is you install?

Let me know of you get a SWM or regular 6x8MS. I tried to call Mid Michigan Microtech earlier, but they are having system issues. I want to confirm everything in my order and see if they have the SWMs yet.

I need to take out a bunch of RG-59 and replace with RG-6, but if the installers will do it for me, then I'll just wait for next Thursday.

My install is Monday morning so I can't call them.

Also I bought an interior antenna from Radio shack and it didn't work at all. I'm going to trade it for an exterior tomorrow.
post #558 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Anyone else having any problems locking in channels since the storm? Actually the only channel that i have problems with now is WKAR, and that seems to have been since they put up 23.5.

I really like how they actually have WKAR FM on the tv, but if it causes my HD feed to breakup then im not for it anymore. It might be my antenna got pushed around during the wind, but every other channel is fine...

Oh well.
post #559 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotdog14 View Post

Anyone else having any problems locking in channels since the storm? Actually the only channel that i have problems with now is WKAR, and that seems to have been since they put up 23.5.

I really like how they actually have WKAR FM on the tv, but if it causes my HD feed to breakup then im not for it anymore. It might be my antenna got pushed around during the wind, but every other channel is fine...

Oh well.

I was going to send in a post this morning anyway, WKAR activated 23.5 yesterday which is WKAR-FM audio as an audio only stream. Our sets at the station are not having any problems receiving it, or the other streams. (Even the $99 Insignia will lock to it ok) My set at home refuses to lock on the 23.5 for more than five seconds.

Normally in an ATSC stream, the PCR (program clock reference) is set to the associated video stream. Since 23.5 is an audio only stream, the PCR is set to that audio stream. Having said that, I don't know if that is why my Samsung does not like it.

Not seeing any breakup on 23.1 or the other channels though.

How is it working for you folk? if it crashes out, I'll go in and kill it.

We did have FM up for a while as a secondary audio to 23.3, that seemed to work, we could go back to that. (but then it would be harder to find, or to explain)

We're also going to have to rename the Separate Audio programs, usually Descriptive Video Information, we have on 23.1 and 23.2. ATSC does not have a designator for a main channel mixed Descriptive Video. We've been using "english" which means viewers change from "english" to "english" how do you know which one you're getting until you listen for a while? We're thinking calling it "french."
post #560 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heed316 View Post

So WILX totally ruined my dvr recording of the office from last night. First 15 minutes were about the storm, show wasn't in HD, and just seemed like a mess of a recording. ARGH WILX!

Back to downloading the show for this week I guess...

Two people killed, millions of dollars in damage, and you're worried about missing an episode of a sit-com?
post #561 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybliev View Post

I was going to send in a post this morning anyway, WKAR activated 23.5 yesterday which is WKAR-FM audio as an audio only stream. Our sets at the station are not having any problems receiving it, or the other streams. (Even the $99 Insignia will lock to it ok) My set at home refuses to lock on the 23.5 for more than five seconds.

Normally in an ATSC stream, the PCR (program clock reference) is set to the associated video stream. Since 23.5 is an audio only stream, the PCR is set to that audio stream. Having said that, I don't know if that is why my Samsung does not like it.

Not seeing any breakup on 23.1 or the other channels though.

How is it working for you folk? if it crashes out, I'll go in and kill it.

We did have FM up for a while as a secondary audio to 23.3, that seemed to work, we could go back to that. (but then it would be harder to find, or to explain)

We're also going to have to rename the Separate Audio programs, usually Descriptive Video Information, we have on 23.1 and 23.2. ATSC does not have a designator for a main channel mixed Descriptive Video. We've been using "english" which means viewers change from "english" to "english" how do you know which one you're getting until you listen for a while? We're thinking calling it "french."

When it does work for me its nice, and works well. I really enjoy having it as well and my $500 Polaroid TV dosnt really have a problem locking on to it, I think my antenna just got moved a little out of alignment during the storm. Ill get up on the roof this either today or tomorrow to see if i can fix it.
post #562 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 12:45 PM

MSU-OSU not in HD? Lame ABC.

*edit: Looks like it was just WLAJ asleep at the switch, since they switched it to the HD feed after the first commercial.
post #563 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 12:51 PM

WLAJ wasn't showing the HD feed of MSU-OSU game on 53.1 when the game first came on. I called WWMT and they had it fixed in five.
post #564 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Two people killed, millions of dollars in damage, and you're worried about missing an episode of a sit-com?

Gary - Unfortunate situation, but what about all the other times where there is a piddly little storm/snow advisory somewhere in the viewing area and WILX has the weatherbug up all night, ruining the HD broadcast? I especially like the times when the weatherbug is up during the NBC show, but goes away during commercials. Oh and let met guess, the replay of those shows Sunday afternoon won't be in HD. Nope, they weren't.
post #565 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Hey,

Quick question/idea I'd like to soundboard here. Let's say that I have a friend who has an HDTV monitor (no tuner), and he can't get HD service in his apartment because it's not offered to him (or something theoretically impossible.) So, to get any HD at all, he would be limited to just the HD Locals, and he'd have to get a Set-top box w/ ATSC tuner that run at least 100 dollars plus an antenna.

Here's my idea. Since the H10 and older D* HDTV Receivers cannot get the new HD Channels, people are trading them in OR selling them for cheap because they have very little value at this time. These receivers can act as a tuner like my H20 because they have the off-air in. Could my friend pick up a H10 for cheap and just use it as an ATSC tuner with no DirecTV service plugged into it? Would the receiver need the access card? Thanks for any thoughts.
post #566 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusteBelmont86 View Post

Hey,

Quick question/idea I'd like to soundboard here. Let's say that I have a friend who has an HDTV monitor (no tuner), and he can't get HD service in his apartment because it's not offered to him (or something theoretically impossible.) So, to get any HD at all, he would be limited to just the HD Locals, and he'd have to get a Set-top box w/ ATSC tuner that run at least 100 dollars plus an antenna.

Here's my idea. Since the H10 and older D* HDTV Receivers cannot get the new HD Channels, people are trading them in OR selling them for cheap because they have very little value at this time. These receivers can act as a tuner like my H20 because they have the off-air in. Could my friend pick up a H10 for cheap and just use it as an ATSC tuner with no DirecTV service plugged into it? Would the receiver need the access card? Thanks for any thoughts.

I don't know about the H10, but the old RCA, Sony and Samsung receivers work just fine. I got an old RCA receiver off Ebay last year specifically for OTA and it works just fine--that is, when my family lets me have it.
post #567 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

WLAJ was doing something strange, they had the game on in HD when it very first came on but it didnt have any sound, and when ever they switched it back to SD it would have sound. they tried a few times to do HD but no sound. It was strange, but into the first quarter a little they got it fixed.
post #568 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The Directv SWM is getting to be a joke - not the product - but the way Directv is beta testing it. They are trying to do it on the cheap using a limited number of a few chosen participants at the dbstalk cutting edge forum. The beta tests are taking forever and people are clamoring for the SWM. Strange is that when you call D* and talk to the first level CSR, many of them will tell you that the SWM is available and that you can order one but they have to transfer you to tech support for he order. Then when you talk to tech support (assuming they don't drop you during the phone transfer and you have to call in and start all over again), the tech support people almost always claim they do not know that the SWM is. Then you end up trying to explain it to them which is useless. The communication of information between the various operations at Directv is so disjointed, you end up feeling like you are talking to separate companies (who knows, maybe you are). After Directv sold out to Rupert Murdoch, Driectv customer service and support went into the crapper. I know they are now not part of Rupert's meglomaniac empire, but the damage is already done. Prices have gone up and customer support has gone way down. If I were an employee of D*, I would be embarrassed to admit it. If I was an executive officer of D*, then I would ashamed to cash my paycheck. D* is pathetic.

Quote:

My install is Monday morning so I can't call them.

Also I bought an interior antenna from Radio shack and it didn't work at all. I'm going to trade it for an exterior tomorrow.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #569 of 2735 Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:

I was at my brothers house in Wyandotte Thursday night and none of the shows I watched while at his house were as messed up as the ones out this way. And to claim I'm putting a tv show above someones life is stupid, I just think that when you have numerous ways of getting information about a storm out, taking out all the channels is useless. Run the weather stuff on 10.2, the actual station for weather.
post #570 of 2735 Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotdog14 View Post

WLAJ was doing something strange, they had the game on in HD when it very first came on but it didnt have any sound, and when ever they switched it back to SD it would have sound. they tried a few times to do HD but no sound. It was strange, but into the first quarter a little they got it fixed.

If that's the same thing I saw it was when they were trying to run the lottery numbers. It looked like they were having trouble with the overlay. Once they got they lottery numbers out of the way things looked OK except for one other thing. Did anybody else notice a yellow dot and line on the left side for about five minutes around the end of the first quarter/beginning of the second? I was trying to figure out what it was and the only thing I could come up with was the production truck forgot to turn off the telestrator.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page