Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2739 Old 03-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotdog14 View Post

the funny thing is that i turn on my tv tonight and i dont have 202-209 again....................................................... ......

I quit.

spotdog14,

Thanks for "taking the arrows" on Comcast E.L. dropping the ESPN/Disc. HD channels. Since I work at home developing web apps and administer over 10 remote web servers, didn't want to chance getting my HSI messed up over a couple of cable channels. Also have real-time stock software hooked up for swing trading.
Certainly get my $ worth out of HSI. Have had very few problems with it over the years.

I agree with jefbal99 and homcom, Comcast is bringing the E.L. area in line with what they've been doing in all areas of the country.
Too bad they couldn't have found a more graceful way to do it.
I'll probably just take the path of least resistance and pay the extra $10/mo for Digital Classic and be done with it.

Got a bad case of the shakes watching Duke/Maryland last night in SD.
Ready to go around the neighborhood with sign - "Will work for HD".
Can I shovel your driveway or mow your lawn to watch a college bball game in HD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2739 Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Got a bad case of the shakes watching Duke/Maryland last night in SD.
Ready to go around the neighborhood with sign - "Will work for HD".
Can I shovel your driveway or mow your lawn to watch a college bball game in HD ?

Sure, I hate cutting the grass. I'm sure we can working something out for a summer of grass cutting for CFB HD viewing

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #63 of 2739 Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Sure, I hate cutting the grass. I'm sure we can working something out for a summer of grass cutting for CFB HD viewing

Make sure hdj has to bring the beer & brats during CFB season, too.

The sanctity of my couch during CFB season might also be violated. I was the first among my friends and family to get an HDTV. Now that most of them have seen mine, or have seen one elsewhere, I have a whole lot of people that want to be at my place for major sporting events.
post #64 of 2739 Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Anybody on here use Millennium as their cable provider? I'm not going to get the Sunday Ticket this upcoming year, so I'm thinking of switching to cable. Millennium is the only choice in Mason.

Their channel lineup shows that they have all of the local HD channels. They also have an HD DVR. My original HD box (Hughes E86) is starting to go. DirecTV gave me the run around when trying to get a new box. If I can get similar service from Millennium, I'll switch.
post #65 of 2739 Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

according to their list, all the digital subs are HD and apparently WLNS has a digital sub that no one knows about

Is this the line up for Dimondale and other areas served by Millennium? If it is, then I'll update the 1st post

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #66 of 2739 Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:

according to their list, all the digital subs are HD and apparently WLNS has a digital sub that no one knows about

Is this the line up for Dimondale and other areas served by Millennium? If it is, then I'll update the 1st post

It looks like it's the same for the others as well. WLNS has used a subchannel that has been rarely used. My guess is that they've just assigned it a channel instead of having to worry about it. I think that it was used before during March Madness.
post #67 of 2739 Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post

Anybody on here use Millennium as their cable provider? I'm not going to get the Sunday Ticket this upcoming year, so I'm thinking of switching to cable. Millennium is the only choice in Mason.

Their channel lineup shows that they have all of the local HD channels. They also have an HD DVR. My original HD box (Hughes E86) is starting to go. DirecTV gave me the run around when trying to get a new box. If I can get similar service from Millennium, I'll switch.

I'm in the same boat. I have D*, and MDM is the cable option. Based on my experience with MDM, I would not go with them. They are technically very far behind. I had both TV and internet from them, and they both had frequent outages. The (Non-Digital) picture is horrendous. When I dropped them, they did not have an HD DVR. For my money, I'm sticking with D*, and hoping that the new sats are up soon with plenty of HD content.
post #68 of 2739 Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:

If and when they parcel out a subchannel it's not like it will be a secret.
post #69 of 2739 Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

If and when they parcel out a subchannel it's not like it will be a secret.

I was being sarcastic

post #70 of 2739 Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got a message on the STB last night that effective 4/3/07 Lansing will be getting National Geographic HD (199), A&E HD (200), and Universal HD (208).

The lineup will now be equal to Detroit's except that our local CW and MyNetworkTV stations are not available in HD. It also matches the known list of channels that Comcast has carriage agreements with. Only thing that some markets have that we will be missing are HD PPV and HD Special Events Channel.

Kickass!!!

post #71 of 2739 Old 03-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Got a message on the STB last night that effective 4/3/07 Lansing will be getting National Geographic HD (199), A&E HD (200), and Universal HD (208).

The lineup will now be equal to Detroit's except that our local CW and MyNetworkTV stations are not available in HD. It also matches the known list of channels that Comcast has carriage agreements with. Only thing that some markets have that we will be missing are HD PPV and HD Special Events Channel.

Kickass!!!

makes me so happy that i am in the East Lansing network....
post #72 of 2739 Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

makes me so happy that i am in the East Lansing network....

Hey the upgrades on EL have started (unfortunately, you found out by losing some of your HD channels) hopefully soon you'll get some more bandwidth and get up to date with the rest of the area.

post #73 of 2739 Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Confirm New Channels on Lansing network:

"We are happy to announce 3 more HD channels: A&E HD on 200, National Geographic HD on 199 and Universal HD on 208 effective 4/3/07."

My prayers have been answered. Makes me feel a bit better. The Comcast HSI connection was breaking up almost every day for a week and I almost cancelled the service. I guess they were doing some upgrades.
post #74 of 2739 Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After the fiacso with so many people in Lansing and GR being told that the last STB message (VSGLF and FSN HD) was sent out incorrectly and that their were no plans to add those channels, I emailed Customer service today to ensure that engineering, customer service, and marketing were all on the same page about this roll out. Hopefully we don't have any issues like in February.

I updated the first post with these new channels for the line up. I'm also working on a list for the MDM addition, however, I don't have access to a channel guide yet to get their listings. I'll be at my Uncles house in a few days and get it.

cheers!

post #75 of 2739 Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:

edited...the upgrades on EL have started...

Are we certain that Comcast is upgrading the old 550MHz East Lansing TCI infrastructure?

I haven't heard anything from Comcast and the thread here seems to indicate nothing more than a revision in the billing software at the business office.

East Lansing (Lansing, MI DMA) A/V enthusiast getting content from xfinity, Netflix, OTA and off the shelf-o'-discs. A 4228 in the attic is almost good enough.
post #76 of 2739 Old 03-08-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post

Are we certain that Comcast is upgrading the old 550MHz East Lansing TCI infrastructure?

I haven't heard anything from Comcast and the thread here seems to indicate nothing more than a revision in the billing software at the business office.

Steve Burke of Comcast said in an interview last fall that all networks would be upgraded to atleast 750Mhz

post #77 of 2739 Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaller View Post

I don't think that this is exactly true. For one thing FSD will go on a CONUS beam, and this will probably be on D10. As far as HD LiL for Lansing goes, I'm not really sure, but there is currently plenty of capacity on the Spaceway Birds in orbit now. In fact the Flint market was supposed to go live in the 4th Q of 2006 on one of the Spaceways. This has since been delayed until at least the 3rd Q of this year. I really don't know the reason, but they may want to put it on one of the new sats.

I don't believe any of the HD RSNs are on CONUS beams, they are all on Spot Beams to the individual region. Also, Ken H's magic 8 ball just posted yesterday about D* doing compression on the Spot Beams, so I think they are having issues with the Spot Beam mpeg4 encoders. D* is having issues on the LiLs.

post #78 of 2739 Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:

I don't believe any of the HD RSNs are on CONUS beams, they are all on Spot Beams to the individual region. Also, Ken H's magic 8 ball just posted yesterday about D* doing compression on the Spot Beams, so I think they are having issues with the Spot Beam mpeg4 encoders. D* is having issues on the LiLs.

The regional HD feeds would be spots except for one featured national HD game each night/at a time if my guess is correct. Some of the pressure for HD space is relieved when national channels pick games up, such as Thursday nights when HD Net broadcasts an exclusive NHL HD broadcast and D* can broadcast NBA games in HD.
post #79 of 2739 Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Has anybody heard who has the CCHA contract for next season? I'm wondering if the new Big Ten Network might try for it or whether they will be picked up by Fox Sports Detroit again. Doesn't seem like FSD broadcast as many CCHA games this year as last.
post #80 of 2739 Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Does anybody know whether D* (and other providers for that matter) will make the new Big Ten Network part of the basic package or will we have to pay extra to subscribe to that network (or to it as part of the RSN package)?
post #81 of 2739 Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

Does anybody know whether D* (and other providers for that matter) will make the new Big Ten Network part of the basic package or will we have to pay extra to subscribe to that network (or to it as part of the RSN package)?

Big Ten Network will be part of D* Total Choice package or whatever they are calling it now.

The BTN has said it wants to be on basic cable in the midwest and digital throughtout the country.
post #82 of 2739 Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wings and Bruins are finally up in HD on WILX, started out with the Rangers broadcast, then the Wings in SD for the first 3 mins of the game.

Looks much nicer that the HD feed is coming through

post #83 of 2739 Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WLNS isn't showing the SEC title game in HD, called the newsroom, got it switched on

post #84 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

can someone explain something to me real quick? As you may know i have Comcast... and now have digital what ever package. Why is it that channel 177 looks so much better than 62? (they are both the history channel).

Actually why is it that 99 and below look like crap when compared to anything over 99? Is it because they are digital channels?
post #85 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I questioned WLNS about the NCAA coverage and this is what i got back...

Quote:

Dear Jeff,
Here is the message from CBS:Please note that your SD and HD channels
should match at all times. This year you do not have the option of
airing a different game on your HD channel. For the week of March 12,
if you are ASSIGNED to be a CONSTANT station for any of the games, you
must upconvert your SD feed of that game to broadcast on your HD channel
in order for your SD and HD channels to mirror one another. As noted
above, the HD feed will be the Flex feed; we will not be able to provide
you with a CONSTANT HD feed. WLNS will be a CONSTANT station for the
Michigan State Game. You may contact CBS at audsvcs@cbs.com.
Thank you for your interest in WLNS TV-6.
Regards,
Teresa Morton
Program Director
WLNS-Lansing

We are getting screwed because we live in an area with a game of interest. CBS is seriously dropping the ball here, what a freaking crock. I will be emailing CBS and voicing my displeasure.

post #86 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can someone explain something to me real quick? As you may know i have Comcast... and now have digital what ever package. Why is it that channel 177 looks so much better than 62? (they are both the history channel).

Actually why is it that 99 and below look like crap when compared to anything over 99? Is it because they are digital channels?

In Lansing, 177 is not in the channel guide, I don't see a 2nd History channel in the line up.

post #87 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:

In Lansing, 177 is not in the channel guide, I don't see a 2nd History channel in the line up.

humm, that is strange. I have noticed that we have a few duplicate channels in the EL lineup. Maybe you could field a guess as to why the higher channel looks better, is it because it is "digital" where as the other channel is just regular SD cable?
post #88 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

humm, that is strange. I have noticed that we have a few duplicate channels in the EL lineup. Maybe you could field a guess as to why the higher channel looks better, is it because it is "digital" where as the other channel is just regular SD cable?

It very well could be a digital vs. analog issue, but i honestly have no clue. Is this constant on all TVs? HD and SD? I have some channels that look much better is SD on my old 27" Sharp than my 42" DLP.

There could be more bandwidth allocated to the digital channels than the analog channels.

The only channels I noticed that I had a duplicate of is NFL Network on 180 and 275, but 275 is for when it moves to the Sports Pack.

post #89 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:

It very well could be a digital vs. analog issue, but i honestly have no clue. Is this constant on all TVs? HD and SD? I have some channels that look much better is SD on my old 27" Sharp than my 42" DLP.

There could be more bandwidth allocated to the digital channels than the analog channels.

The only channels I noticed that I had a duplicate of is NFL Network on 180 and 275, but 275 is for when it moves to the Sports Pack.

to tell you the truth i cannot tell the difference between the analog and digital most of the time on my SD tv's (but sometimes i can really tell on Spike when watching Star Trek, it looks like crap even on my SD tv). But i can defiantly tell the difference on my 32inch LCD HDTV between any channel higher than 99 and any channel lower than 99.

So i guess that kinda answers my question, it must be analog vs. digital.
post #90 of 2739 Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

to tell you the truth i cannot tell the difference between the analog and digital most of the time on my SD tv's (but sometimes i can really tell on Spike when watching Star Trek, it looks like crap even on my SD tv). But i can defiantly tell the difference on my 32inch LCD HDTV between any channel higher than 99 and any channel lower than 99.

So i guess that kinda answers my question, it must be analog vs. digital.

It sounds like a analog vs. digital to me. How are you receiving the signal on each of your tvs, through a STB or directly into your TV. Is ADS fully in place on your system? If ADS in place you should be seeing all channels as digital with a STB.

Another possible quality issue with the analog channels is the format conversions they go through. For cable channels they come into the plant digitally they are just converted to analog but the local stations and other cable channels that come in as analog are converted to digital then back to analog.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page