Lansing, MI - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2737 Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why the hell is WILX showing the Tigers game instead of the hockey game? At least put the damn HD channel on the hockey game, why do I get baseball on both when the hockey game is supposed to be a nationally broadcasted game??! WTF!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2737 Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heed316 View Post

Why the hell is WILX showing the Tigers game instead of the hockey game? At least put the damn HD channel on the hockey game, why do I get baseball on both when the hockey game is supposed to be a nationally broadcasted game??! WTF!?

WILX is the OTA broadcast partner of the Tigers for Lansing. None of the OTA games will be in HD, they are on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Line up is available for the Fox Sports Detroit website. Some games will show on 10.2 (249 for comcast subs) because of the US Open or other events that require the national tv audience.

Sucks, but it wasn't the Wings so I wasn't too unhappy (also I was on the golf course/camping, but would have liked to catch the end of the hockey game when I got home.)

Go Wings, FSN HD tonight 9pm

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #183 of 2737 Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM

I was saying they could of left the tigers game on the normal broadcast channel, but put the hockey game on the HD channel. What was the point of having both channels sending the same broadcast when they aren't showing something that they should be showing. I wanted to watch the Tigers and the hockey game. I still got to though as I get WDIV on qam, but still it would have been nice to have the game in HD. You can bet that this would NEVER EVER happen in any other sports playoffs. Can you imagine if they didn't show a football playoff game in favor of a regular season Red Wings game? Just wouldn't happen.
post #184 of 2737 Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was saying they could of left the tigers game on the normal broadcast channel, but put the hockey game on the HD channel. What was the point of having both channels sending the same broadcast when they aren't showing something that they should be showing. I wanted to watch the Tigers and the hockey game. I still got to though as I get WDIV on qam, but still it would have been nice to have the game in HD. You can bet that this would NEVER EVER happen in any other sports playoffs. Can you imagine if they didn't show a football playoff game in favor of a regular season Red Wings game? Just wouldn't happen.

I agree and I think the Tigers game should have been on 10.2 as they will do with a few games later in the year, but they want maximum exposure. I've only seen a few times with WLNS where they do a different feed on the HD channel. Thats during the tennis US Open and the Jerry Lewis telethon Labor Day weekend.

If it was a Red Wings game, then I'm sure that the Tigers game would have been moved.

Edit in:

Found the WILX schedule, if you notice the past two weekends and next weekend, the games are listed as possibly showing on 10.2. That has to be there incase the Red Wings had a playoff game.

The date with the # that says will be on 10.2 is the weekend of the US Open golf tournament and NBC has the broadcast rights for that.

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #185 of 2737 Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It's a brave new world in broadcasting. Likely someone forgot to flip a switch one way or the other. I'm sure it won't be the last time as more and more broadcasts mull their multicast options.
post #186 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anybody interested in HDMI -> DVI adapters?

I'm gonna be ordering an adapter to go with my non-DVR box (no HDMI output) and the adapters get significantly cheaper when ordering in Bulk.

Check out Monoprice and PM me if you are interested.

post #187 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sent the following email to Gary King at WILX, awaiting a reply...

Quote:

Gary,

Is it at all possible to keep the NBC National HD feed going on 10.1
while the analog feed of channel 10 gets the Tigers games.

I ran across quite a few people on Sunday and Monday that were miffed
that the NHL game was preempted. I could understand using the HD
channel for the Tigers if they were in HD, but when NBC has a national
sports broadcast, especially a playoff game, it would be nice to have
the choice. Cable and OTA offer both the digital and analog channel,
so it would be up to the viewer to choose. Perhaps run a crawl once
an hour on both channels (I know that the NBC feed would have to e
dropped into SD) that either game is available and what feed is
needed.

I notice in your schedule that a couple of Tigers games will be on
10.2. One is because of the PGA US Open and it appears another will
be depending on how long the Red Wings playoff series goes with the
Ducks.

Is this something that is a possibility?

Thanks

Jeff Ballard
Lansing, MI

post #188 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

I sent the following email to Gary King at WILX, awaiting a reply...

It seems to me that broadcasters should be doing more to publicize the coming DTV transition and their multicast options. Having the Wings in HD on 10.1 and the Tigers in SD on 10.2 seems to me a perfect way to alert people to digital TV. Folks tune most PSA's out, but attach the same info to a sports commercial and it will get noticed.

My father started catching on to what was coming and told me to start watching prices for used ATSC tuners on Ebay.
post #189 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell_lingus View Post

It seems to me that broadcasters should be doing more to publicize the coming DTV transition and their multicast options. Having the Wings in HD on 10.1 and the Tigers in SD on 10.2 seems to me a perfect way to alert people to digital TV. Folks tune most PSA's out, but attach the same info to a sports commercial and it will get noticed.

My father started catching on to what was coming and told me to start watching prices for used ATSC tuners on Ebay.

got this reply

Quote:

Jeff,
These decisions are made by management above me. We do have the capability
to do as you are requesting and I believe that is what they are intending to
do in the future. I will pass this suggestion along to the powers that be.
Thanks for your interest in WILX. Gary

Gary King
Chief Engineer
WILX-TV
500 American Road
Lansing, MI 48911

post #190 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM

I emailed a bunch of people at WILX about what happened last week and never got one reply...
post #191 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:

got this reply

Jeff, you ought to invite Gary to check the board out here. He doesn't need to participate but he might get some good feedback. Then again he could get depressed, too.
post #192 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 05:25 PM

At least they aren't pretending and putting an SD broadcast on an HD channel. One more month (he said brimming with hope) until the new bird launches.
post #193 of 2737 Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least they aren't pretending and putting an SD broadcast on an HD channel. One more month (he said brimming with hope) until the new bird launches.

Cable subs have it on MojoHD

post #194 of 2737 Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff, you ought to invite Gary to check the board out here. He doesn't need to participate but he might get some good feedback. Then again he could get depressed, too.

I sent him the link and he replied he spent 30 mins reading the board. Hopefully he'll lerk around and if we have some constructive ideas. maybe they will get passed up the chain at WILX.

Random question, does anybody have a number for engineering/mastercontrol for WSYM? WILX produces their newscasts now and their news line goes to the studio on the southside of town. I don't usually run into broadcast issues from wsym, but it happens occasionally.

post #195 of 2737 Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 PM

Hello, Gary. Welcome aboard.
post #196 of 2737 Old 05-11-2007, 10:35 PM

Anyone have any idea what happened to Comcast channel 209- Music HD? I enjoyed watching that one at times and now it's no longer listed.

Edit: And it's back. Apparently all it took was for me to post about it. It disappears for a few days, I post, and POOF! it's back. Wish I had that much influence on other things in my life.
post #197 of 2737 Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post

Anyone have any idea what happened to Comcast channel 209- Music HD? I enjoyed watching that one at times and now it's no longer listed.

Edit: And it's back. Apparently all it took was for me to post about it. It disappears for a few days, I post, and POOF! it's back. Wish I had that much influence on other things in my life.

Where are you located and what model STB do you have?

post #198 of 2737 Old 05-14-2007, 04:53 AM

What is the latest estimate of locals in HD on D* in Lansing? Thanks
post #199 of 2737 Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 AM

It most likely will not be before D* launches the new Sats. Best guess would be sometime in 2008.

Flint/Saginaw however, is supposed to go live with the next batch of locals D* rolls out. (Summer '07)
post #200 of 2737 Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Where are you located and what model STB do you have?

I'm in Lansing (near south Lansing). I have the Motorola 3416.
post #201 of 2737 Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post

I'm in Lansing (near south Lansing). I have the Motorola 3416.

Thats strange, I live on the west side of town with a 6200 and a 6412, MHD has never disappeared. Only thing that I can think would be that your STB needed to be hit by a signal from the head end.

On a different note, per the NY courts ruling that Comcast could put the NFL Network on the Sports and Entertainment tier, I got the red dot this morning that told me it would be moving.

I wonder what this will do for the NFL Network HD coverage that was previously shown on InHD (now Mojo HD)?

post #202 of 2737 Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Good job Sunday. WILX-DT 1 and 2 were good for sports fans with DTV knowledge. I still say sales and advertising missed some good opportunities to spread the word about channel 10.2. Engineering did their job well, though.
post #203 of 2737 Old 05-22-2007, 05:41 AM

Noticed last night that Comcast has moved the QAM channels for NBC and PBS in East Lansing. Maybe they're finally making room for WSYM? Here are the new channel locations, so the lineups in the first post can be updated:

25-2 WILX-HD moved to 73-2
25-2 WKAR-HD moved to 73-3
25-14 WILX weather moved to 73-14
post #204 of 2737 Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good job Sunday. WILX-DT 1 and 2 were good for sports fans with DTV knowledge. I still say sales and advertising missed some good opportunities to spread the word about channel 10.2. Engineering did their job well, though.

I missed out as I was in Newark airport in NJ, but got to see a little bit of the Wings game. Glad that everything went well and hopefully NBC will make good use of their channels like this in the future.

post #205 of 2737 Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemkedan View Post

Noticed last night that Comcast has moved the QAM channels for NBC and PBS in East Lansing. Maybe they're finally making room for WSYM? Here are the new channel locations, so the lineups in the first post can be updated:

Thanks- This is the place to come to.
post #206 of 2737 Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Oops, I see that I made a typo for WKAR. That should be 25-3 moved to 73-3.
post #207 of 2737 Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Oops, I see that I made a typo for WKAR. That should be 25-3 moved to 73-3.

They are not coming in tonight. ABC E.L. (12.3) is also not working. Any ideas? I think I will do a rescan and see what comes up.
post #208 of 2737 Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM

WILX does it again..Tonight Show not in HD. Called the newsroom & guess what? No answer. Go figure. Pathetic for Lansing's #1 station.
post #209 of 2737 Old 05-29-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated 1st post with new QAM channel numbers

post #210 of 2737 Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 PM

Has anyone else noticed a change in the menu system for Comcast's DVR here in the Lansing area? It used to be that when the Menu button was pressed, one of the icons displayed was labeled DVR. If the DVR icon was invoked, a menu of DVR options appeared including the ability to go to your recorded programs or to view your currently scheduled programs. From the scheduled programs selection, you could change series recording options among other things.

That DVR icon has now disappeared. The only way I can find to get to our recorded programs is to press My DVR button on the remote. But that only brings up the list of recorded programs, not the option to review scheduled programs.

I called Comcast and they blasted our box with a reset but that didn't change anything. Are we missing something or are others seeing the same thing?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page