Forum Jump: 

post #19021 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Poor Tom.

But for the record, he was only asked to "check it," not fix it. Maybe he has checked it...

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19022 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DirecTV, Intel Announce HD DVR Viiv-Verified, Open Beta Testing

So, does this mean I could permanently archive DVR recordings to PC storage, and then stream them back to the DVR for future playback?

The following story is from today's Retail Bridge newsletter:

DIRECTV on Wednesday announced that its DIRECTV Plus HD DVR has been verified with Intel Viiv technology, making the satellite provider the largest supplier of Viiv-verified digital media adapters.

"Today's announcement marries the millions of Intel Viiv technology-based PC owners with DIRECTV's high-definition TV viewers in a way that has never been done before," said Kevin Corbett, vice president of Intel's Digital Home Group. "DIRECTV's product exemplifies what a digital or connected home is all about where PCs, TVs and CE devices all work in concert together and consumers enjoy their entertainment on a variety of screens and devices when and where they want to."

For customers, this means they can now use their DVR to access pictures and music on their Viiv-based PC. This pictures and music functionality is available as a public beta trial, but the real fun will start later this year when DIRECTV adds the ability to stream video between Viiv PC and TV.

"We announced our alliance with Intel at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show and we are happy to be here today, one year later, to show you the fruits of our labor," said Romulo Pontual, DIRECTV's executive vice president and CTO. "The way people consume media is rapidly evolving and connectivity between digital devices is becoming an essential part of the home ecosystem. DIRECTV understands this evolution and is delivering innovative solutions to make sure our customers stay connected."

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #19023 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

Doug,

Here's a post someone made a few pages back detailing what they can pickup via their Olevia QAM tuner: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9389832

Not sure if that list is exhaustive, but it's a start.

I just reread this post. The poster could get ESPN Full Court for free via QAM?

WOW!

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
post #19024 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptheRemote View Post

DirecTV, Intel Announce HD DVR Viiv-Verified, Open Beta Testing

So, does this mean I could permanently archive DVR recordings to PC storage, and then stream them back to the DVR for future playback?

Nope. It is only ONE way. It streams to the DVR, not from. You also don't need a
VIIV machine. I am doing it using a home built AMD 2005 Media Center PC with WMP11.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #19025 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschultz View Post

Nope. It is only ONE way. It streams to the DVR, not from. You also don't need a
VIIV machine. I am doing it using a home built AMD 2005 Media Center PC with WMP11.

Will it work using Windows Media Connect on XP Pro?

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #19026 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. It is only ONE way. It streams to the DVR, not from.

That is fricking lame. But I know who to blame...and it's not DirecTV or Intel.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #19027 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post

Will it work using Windows Media Connect on XP Pro?

I dunno, I would have to look. People at DBStalk.com are using all kinds of stuff to make it work.
I didn't feel like downloading anything so I just set up WMP11.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #19028 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM

E* installer came out yesterday. As I feared, no dice, no line of sight. Can't nail all th points.

Now, one of the biggest reasons I was going for Dish is because I have my other services through ATT&T.

I happen to have a casual friend who instals D*, so I called him and he came over.

Great news! Because of D* have a smaller range, he can install it. The dish will go far out from the house, about 40-50 feet, behind a fence. A complete clear shot. Plus it's out of the way. Away from the house and away from where the kids will play. (Basically part of the property we don't use)

Because he is a friend he is fast tracking me for an HD DVR, he believes he will have one for me within a couple weeks. And to keep me happy, he is giving me an old D* HD receiver so that I can hook it up and receive free OTA HD...so I'll still be able to catch CSI and football.

He's also waving the install fees, because the dish is going so far out, if I help him plant the pole and dig the trench for the cable, and help with running the cable through the basement, we are solid.

I should have went with this guy and D* in the first place.
post #19029 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I dunno, I would have to look. People at DBStalk.com are using all kinds of stuff to make it work.
I didn't feel like downloading anything so I just set up WMP11.

OK. Just curious. It doesn't matter that much for me, since I'm getting a MacBook Pro sometime this year.

Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Concerto v2; Herron Audio VTPH-2
Naim Audio ND5XS/NAC282/HC/NAP250-2; Dynaudio S3.4e2; REL R-328
post #19030 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:49 AM

I currently have my OTA antenna signal split one time to 2 tuners. I think there is an amp feeding one of them (not sure I did not do that part of the install). There is no amp between the antenna and the second feed I made. Am I crazy to try to add a 3rd tuner? Should I just get a second antenna? I currently have 98-100 on CBS, FOX, NBC, I have 80s on ABC, and 70s on PBS (PBS is not a major concern, of course until those twins get here lol). Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Edit: Those signals are similar on both tuners, amp or no amp.

I can't think of a signature that wouldn't offend at least someone.
post #19031 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jsigo,

Assuming your antenna is tight and securely mounted, wind shouldn't be having the sort of effect that you're reporting. Based on what you say is happening, I think you should check your outdoor cabling and grounding. It sounds like movement of the cable may be causing the signal to cut in and out.

Doug,
That was my thought, but jsigo said it's an indoor UHF. Maybe change the indoor location of the antenna
post #19032 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces View Post

I currently have my OTA antenna signal split one time to 2 tuners. I think there is an amp feeding one of them (not sure I did not do that part of the install). There is no amp between the antenna and the second feed I made. Am I crazy to try to add a 3rd tuner? Should I just get a second antenna? I currently have 98-100 on CBS, FOX, NBC, I have 80s on ABC, and 70s on PBS (PBS is not a major concern, of course until those twins get here lol). Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Edit: Those signals are similar on both tuners, amp or no amp.

I feed 4 TV's off one antenna/downfeed. Where it comes in, it splits 4x. 1 goes directly to a tuner where it come in, and the other 3, each go into a line-amp, and then to their tuners.

The runs vary from 30-70' from the amps, and the signal is the same on all tuners....no drop.
post #19033 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwette View Post

OK. Just curious. It doesn't matter that much for me, since I'm getting a MacBook Pro sometime this year.

Some people have claimed to get it working on a Mac with other software at dbstalk.

Looks like photo display quality isn't great yet . .but it's an interesting start.

Good luck,
Token
post #19034 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

1 goes directly to a tuner where it come in, and the other 3, each go into a line-amp, and then to their tuners.

If it works, it works. But for others attempting to do the same, would it not be better engineering to put the line amp BEFORE the splitter?

(If it were practical, the best place for an RF amplifier would be at the antenna -- but none of us want to run the power wiring for it!)

---- Dan in Saint Louis
post #19035 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

Doug,
That was my thought, but jsigo said it's an indoor UHF. Maybe change the indoor location of the antenna

Doh!

Now, I'm really stumped -- that really doesn't make a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is that the wind is moving trees (or something) enough to create a multipath issue. But that just seems really unlikely.

I don't know much about the Radio Shack indoor antennas. And I don't know that a Silver Sensor would make any difference, but I still consider the SS to be the gold standard for indoor reception, at least until something clearly superior comes along.

Doug

Lion AV Consultants
post #19036 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post

If it works, it works. But for others attempting to do the same, would it not be better engineering to put the line amp BEFORE the splitter?

(If it were practical, the best place for an RF amplifier would be at the antenna -- but none of us want to run the power wiring for it!)

I didn't describe it correctly, that is how it's configed. There is a pre-amp on the antenna. That virgin line comes down, and then is split to TV's via their own line-amp, which also serves as the splitter.
The line from the antenna enters into a powered line-amp, and then is split to 3each line amp splitters, and then off to their respective tuner.
post #19037 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Did anyone else notice in the latest "newsletter" from Charter that they're bragging about their HD lineup?

Winter Sports Heat Up With HD
Slap shots, slam dunks, touchdowns - even the brawls look stunning in the crystal clarity of high-definition. But you'll want to make sure your HDTV is getting true HD.

(sorry, can't post a link because I haven't posted more than 5 times)

If you click on the link in the newsletter, it lists their HD channels, including ABC, but no CBS listed right now. What kind of morons work in their marketing department?

I guess I shouldn't worry about anymore since I switched to E*
post #19038 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I just reread this post. The poster could get ESPN Full Court for free via QAM?

WOW!

Yea, last night I just happened tp noticed there were a bunch of college bastketball games on, they all had the 'ESPN Full Court' logo in the corner. I then realized, I was receiving the ESPN Full Court package via QAM!

I then continued to scan forward, and found I was receiving FSN Florida and TSN showing various NHL games - not than I'm a hockey fan.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the MLB extra innings games when they start in April.
post #19039 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Did anyone else notice in the latest "newsletter" from Charter that they're bragging about their HD lineup?

Winter Sports Heat Up With HD
Slap shots, slam dunks, touchdowns - even the brawls look stunning in the crystal clarity of high-definition. But you'll want to make sure your HDTV is getting true HD.

(sorry, can't post a link because I haven't posted more than 5 times)

If you click on the link in the newsletter, it lists their HD channels, including ABC, but no CBS listed right now. What kind of morons work in their marketing department?

I guess I shouldn't worry about anymore since I switched to E*

That's odd the newsletter I got says nothing about Winter Sports. Just about winning a trip to Jamaica and SciFi premeires, protecting your computer against "the flu" LOL.
post #19040 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatanp View Post

Yea, last night I just happened tp noticed there were a bunch of college bastketball games on, they all had the 'ESPN Full Court' logo in the corner. I then realized, I was receiving the ESPN Full Court package via QAM!

I then continued to scan forward, and found I was receiving FSN Florida and TSN showing various NHL games - not than I'm a hockey fan.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the MLB extra innings games when they start in April.

Wow, Charter + QAM might be a pretty good deal, lol.

Edit: Don't tell you know who I said that.

post #19041 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
oby

A closer and more accurate reading of the link indicates that its a list of HD channels offered system wide, and CBS is in fact included, as the last station listed. Universal HD is also included, as is ABC. So, what they are saying is that these channels are offered, but they also have an asterisk, that not all stations all offered in all markets, such as in St. Louis, with no Universal HD, ABC, and now, no CBS. And, no doubt, Charter does probably offer CBS, ABC, and Universal HD in some select cities (where Sinclair and Belo don't own the channels).
post #19042 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM

The guy at Best Buy was talking to me about wireless coax jacks. Basically sounded like a wireless phone jack. He said the signal is sent by RF. He claims there is no signal loss? Is this possible? Anyone have any experience with them?

I would think there would be potential for plenty of interference.

post #19043 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, Charter + QAM might be a pretty good deal, lol.

Edit: Don't tell you know who I said that.

He's not here any more. Banned twice.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #19044 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:

jsigo,

Assuming your antenna is tight and securely mounted, wind shouldn't be having the sort of effect that you're reporting. Based on what you say is happening, I think you should check your outdoor cabling and grounding. It sounds like movement of the cable may be causing the signal to cut in and out.

Thanks Doug, but the OTA antenna is indoors and all my local HD channels (2.1 4,1, 30.1, etc.) are breaking up. It seems to be very sensitive to wind, such as a day like today in St. Louis. Is there anything I can do?
post #19045 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM

So I heard. Nothing left to laugh at.

post #19046 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The guy at Best Buy was talking to me about wireless coax jacks. Basically sounded like a wireless phone jack. He said the signal is sent by RF. He claims there is no signal loss? Is this possible? Anyone have any experience with them?

I would think there would be potential for plenty of interference.

Can you buy it and try it? If it doesn't work, maybe you can take it back... With no wires to run it wouldn't take too long to hook up.

I'm confused too.

post #19047 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

So I heard. Nothing left to laugh at.

Until it resurfaces with another user name some day. Be on the lookout.

Joe Clark

post #19048 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm glad the PM made it to so many! I didn't want to clutter up everyones inbox.

www.clearlyresolved.com
post #19049 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:

chatanp,

What you're reporting is pretty normal, though what is available via QAM varies by market/cable provider. For example, in Kansas City via Time-Warner Cable most, if not all, of the local digitals are available unencrypted via a QAM tuner. But that's not the case here.

Also, I think it's one of the unintended features of QAM tuners that you can pick up PPV programming that is ordered by customers on the same branch of the cable network as you're on.

As far as I can recall, no one has ever put together a list of the Charter stations that are visible unencrypted via a QAM tuner. But if you want to volunteer to do that, I'll include it in the resource note (see next message) that gets posted here every 10 days or so...

Here's the list again slightly updated on what I can pick up with a samsung set top and an olevia built in qam tuner.

67-3 TNT HD *could only get with the samsung set top box
79-10 - charter's vod/ppv commercial channel
80-15 thru 80-20 NHL Center ice
81-1 thru 81-6 - ESPN Full court basketball
81-11 thru 81-14 NHL Center ice
82-3 + 82-4 - PBS and PBS kids sub channel
82-6 - CW's sub channel thetube
83-7 - infomercials
90-15 - local real estate
93-61 thru 93-72 - blank with 93-72 having charter's vod/ppv commercials running in a tiny box in the upper right corner
102-3 - ksdk's sub channel weather
105-6 - abc
105-7 my46stl
105-8 thru 106-9 - various infomercials, charter ads, a single espn full court basketball game, cspan, religious channels, home shopping
106-10 - wgn
106-11 thru 118-30 - more religious channels and infomercials with 118-30 the tvguide channel
After 118-30 - Other people's vod
post #19050 of 19496 Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know of silver sensor retailers with available units in town? I don't want to wait for online delivery.
Thanks
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page