St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 3568 Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the tuning adapter was installed on my tivo they used a splitter but when i got my self install cable card kit i didnt get a spliter. Does the spliter matter?

also im am getting a weak single on tbshd with wmc. but its fine on my tivo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3568 Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 14
Good evening,

The splitter doesn't really matter if you do not need to split the cable. However if you are getting a weak signal on your WMC you could use a spliiter to boost the signal. Most retail splitters are normally +3 -3 dBMV so it could boost the signal. If I remember correctly they make splitters that go higher.

Are you getting any service issues on that channel? As long as the channel itself is working as it should I don't see how a lower signal would be an issue. Cable runs on a range of levels, and as long as they are meeting then you should be good.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post

When the tuning adapter was installed on my tivo they used a splitter but when i got my self install cable card kit i didnt get a spliter. Does the spliter matter?

also im am getting a weak single on tbshd with wmc. but its fine on my tivo.

post #3243 of 3568 Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM

i can get tbs in on wmc but it breaksup a lot and says weak single alot.
tbs seems to be the only channel that is not working good. that seems strange

Im using a splitter so i can have my tivo hd and wmc on one cable.

also im using the wrong zip code to get the right channel list, guess that does not help.
Can take the splitter off my tivo a just run the cable thru the tuning adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umatter2Charter View Post

Good evening,

The splitter doesn't really matter if you do not need to split the cable. However if you are getting a weak signal on your WMC you could use a spliiter to boost the signal. Most retail splitters are normally +3 -3 dBMV so it could boost the signal. If I remember correctly they make splitters that go higher.

Are you getting any service issues on that channel? As long as the channel itself is working as it should I don't see how a lower signal would be an issue. Cable runs on a range of levels, and as long as they are meeting then you should be good.

Thanks,

Jeremy

post #3244 of 3568 Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM

I think ceton is in troble if its going to Rely on microsoft for its channel list for its 6 tuner dvr that has windows media center built right it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinx View Post

Seriously how is this still not fixed?

I did the zip code change, but now I am only getting six days worth of guide data and more importantly I don't want to mess with it until I get it back to the correct Olivette lineup...

I realize the issue may not be directly related to charter, but at this point charter needs to take some ownership and get it fixed directly with MS or Zap2it and stop pointing fingers.

post #3245 of 3568 Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM

has anyone read the avs ceton fourm? everyone seems to be having guide problems with wmc. and that theres guides dont go past the 30th for everyone so its not just charter having problem.
They say it should be fixed soon.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...336614&page=94
post #3246 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

UM2C,

You guys need to seriously start thinking about providing digital receivers to your customers, much like the satellite companies and U-Verse does. This new channel configuration is great and all for HD content, but you just wiped out several channels that I was able to watch without a box, and terrible timing too considering it's right in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs (NBC Sports is now digital box required).

Very disappointing.

Agree - the timing could not have been worse to remove NBC Sports from the available channels you can watch without a box. I already have two boxes through you guys, but I find no need to pay for a third so I can watch the same channels in my bedroom. Please add NBC Sports back to the lineup!
post #3247 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Eventually they'll completely get rid of analog so you'll always need a box of some sort, which eliminates one advantage of cable in my opinion (access built-in to TVs). If SD channels were available via clear QAM (ala Wide Open West's policy), then at least newer TVs could get channels without a box. However, this method requires Charter to disconnect or add line filters to block non-paying customers, whereas a cablecard box can be controlled remotely, so they don't really like this. Removing analog channels also frees up bandwidth for HD, and I bet the number of people complaining for more channels in HD is more than the number of people complaining about the lost channels. If that means there can be less compression on all channels that's a good thing.

One thought for Charter, though - stupid channels like QVC are already available on clear QAM. Why not drop the analog version of that instead of something like NBC sports that people might watch?
post #3248 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM

Umatter2Charter, I'm on a moxi 3012 hd box here in o fallon il (belleville area). When the new channel lineup was pushed to my box on the 24th, I am left with a ton of channels around the 700+ to 800+ range that have no channel name, no icon, or program info. Most of these channels do tune in and it appears they may be duplicates of other channels. Any reason this happened? Is charter going to clean this up or do I have to go disable every single one to remove it from list? Very annoying. Example = channel 710.
post #3249 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglebungle View Post

If that means there can be less compression on all channels that's a good thing.

Yep, the concurrent analog feed will eventually go away .. however, I'm not going to hold my breath on the less compression possibility ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3250 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM

It looks like mcrosoft fixed the tv guide update problem.

Quote:

Good afternoon,

I talked with a couple of people, and sadly this is an issue we have no control over. We have contacted Tribune who has recevied our updated guide information. Tribune, in turn, contacted Microsoft to escalate the issue. We were then directed by Microsoft to have customers contact them about these issues directly. I am very sorry for the trouble once again, and hope that by contacting Microsoft you can get these issues resolved.

Please reach out to Microsoft on their portal to submit the data issue: https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145

Thanks,

Jeremy

post #3251 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbells View Post

Agree - the timing could not have been worse to remove NBC Sports from the available channels you can watch without a box. I already have two boxes through you guys, but I find no need to pay for a third so I can watch the same channels in my bedroom. Please add NBC Sports back to the lineup!

Good afternoon,

We definitely appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately that network is only available using digital equipment.

George
post #3252 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Eventually they'll completely get rid of analog so you'll always need a box of some sort, which eliminates one advantage of cable in my opinion (access built-in to TVs). If SD channels were available via clear QAM (ala Wide Open West's policy), then at least newer TVs could get channels without a box. However, this method requires Charter to disconnect or add line filters to block non-paying customers, whereas a cablecard box can be controlled remotely, so they don't really like this. Removing analog channels also frees up bandwidth for HD, and I bet the number of people complaining for more channels in HD is more than the number of people complaining about the lost channels. If that means there can be less compression on all channels that's a good thing.

One thought for Charter, though - stupid channels like QVC are already available on clear QAM. Why not drop the analog version of that instead of something like NBC sports that people might watch?

Greetings,

QVC is contracted to be placed where you see it in the lineup now.

George
post #3253 of 3568 Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post

Umatter2Charter, I'm on a moxi 3012 hd box here in o fallon il (belleville area). When the new channel lineup was pushed to my box on the 24th, I am left with a ton of channels around the 700+ to 800+ range that have no channel name, no icon, or program info. Most of these channels do tune in and it appears they may be duplicates of other channels. Any reason this happened? Is charter going to clean this up or do I have to go disable every single one to remove it from list? Very annoying. Example = channel 710.

It sounds like the box did not download the changes as it should have. I have sent a hit out to the equipment there. Please let me know if you're still having issues.

George
post #3254 of 3568 Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM

^It's fixed. Thanks!
post #3255 of 3568 Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini View Post

^It's fixed. Thanks!

No Problem.

George
post #3256 of 3568 Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

UMatter can you please check the NBCSports feed? Horrible break up on the hockey game today. All other channels seem fine.
post #3257 of 3568 Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

UMatter can you please check the NBCSports feed? Horrible break up on the hockey game today. All other channels seem fine.

I see that my team is assisting via Twitter. We will continue working with you via that space and sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,
Abby
post #3258 of 3568 Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

I would have to agree, it was pretty bad during the game the other night.
post #3259 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM

I had a good experience getting my HDHomerun Prime set up Saturday. The office on Manchester was out of cablecards, but the guy verified that Overland had one and had it held for me. After the detour I had no problems with activation and it works flawlessly - much better than the STB's firewire interface that I was using previously.
post #3260 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Ok I'm thinking pretty seriously about building a CableCard system for my house using Ceton tuners and Win7 A couple of questions

1. I know I cant get PPV and VOD with cable card. Are there any channels or services that I cant get with cable card?

2. My plan is to have a 'server' downstairs that has the Ceton card and storage but headless, my laptop and an extender in the living room. Would I be able to record a show downstairs and then watch it on either my laptop win7Ult or my extender?

Thanks
post #3261 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM

I just got the ceton pcie a 2 weeks ago. Its working fine. i did have problems when charter changed its line at the sametime microsoft had a sever bug for the tv guide.

I did have problem recording 1 show day. it had a sdv error:2 at 7 am on channel 130.

im also having problems with hibernate that i hope i fixed.

also im going to get the ceton echo so i can watch shows in my bedroom without a computer or cable box. Im using a computer with windows 8 to watch shows in my bedroom now. but it uses to much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaknes View Post

Ok I'm thinking pretty seriously about building a CableCard system for my house using Ceton tuners and Win7 A couple of questions

1. I know I cant get PPV and VOD with cable card. Are there any channels or services that I cant get with cable card?

2. My plan is to have a 'server' downstairs that has the Ceton card and storage but headless, my laptop and an extender in the living room. Would I be able to record a show downstairs and then watch it on either my laptop win7Ult or my extender?

Thanks

post #3262 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks

You wont be able to watch subscription based recorded content on the second pc. You can use an available tuner on the prime for the second pc to watch and record stuff on that second pc.

The extender will work just fine with any content.
post #3263 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

I you wont be able to watch subscription based recorded content on the second pc. You can use an available tuner on the prime for the second pc to watch and record stuff on that second pc.

The extender will work just fine with any content.

what is 'the prime'

So I cant watch hbo recorded shows on my laptop, but can through the extender, but the discovery channel I can watch anywhere?
post #3264 of 3568 Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:

what is 'the prime'

So I cant watch hbo recorded shows on my laptop, but can through the extender, but the discovery channel I can watch anywhere?

Sorry was thinking you had the HD Homerun Prime....same restrictions would apply to the Ceton cards. In order to watch live subscription tv on the laptop you would need to run through mediacenter setup on the laptop and find the shared cable card tuner on the network that in your case is installed in your main mediacenter PC.

But this would not allow you to watch recorded subscription content on you main mediacenter machine with your laptop. For that you need an extender.
post #3265 of 3568 Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM

I am having problems recording shows on tbshd with windows media center. everytime it records conan it gets a playready thing. other people with charter in other citys are having this same problem.
post #3266 of 3568 Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 AM

My New Girl (Fox HD) recording last night had significant signal issues (sound and video dropouts, pixellation). Anyone else have problems? We've had signal quality issues in the past but nothing lately, and no changes other than introducing the HDHR Prime. Just wondering if it was a source issue or something I should start investigating locally.
post #3267 of 3568 Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

My New Girl (Fox HD) recording last night had significant signal issues (sound and video dropouts, pixellation). Anyone else have problems? We've had signal quality issues in the past but nothing lately, and no changes other than introducing the HDHR Prime. Just wondering if it was a source issue or something I should start investigating locally.

Good Morning,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Would you like us to have someone out to look into it? I'm not showing any area issues right now.

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3268 of 3568 Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post

I am having problems recording shows on tbshd with windows media center. everytime it records conan it gets a playready thing. other people with charter in other citys are having this same problem.

Good Morning,

Sorry for the trouble. This has been escalated to TBS. It is a Copy Protection issue. We have it set to Copy Freely.

Basically what it boils down to, is that even if the stream is flagged as copy freely, the content may still have embedded Copy protection. We aren't modifying the base content protection, only the stream. So it would come down to the content owners settings.

6.4.3 Relationship between Embedded CCI and EMI
A protected stream of content may consist of one or more programs. Each of these programs may be assigned
a different level of Embedded CCI. Since EMI is associated with the overall stream of content it is possible that
the stream will be composed of multiple programs and that the EMI will not match the Embedded CCI value of
each of the protected programs. In the event that there is a conflict, the most restrictive Embedded CCI value
will be used for the EMI.

Thanks,

Dylan
post #3269 of 3568 Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Good Morning,

Sorry for the trouble. This has been escalated to TBS. It is a Copy Protection issue. We have it set to Copy Freely.

Basically what it boils down to, is that even if the stream is flagged as copy freely, the content may still have embedded Copy protection. We aren't modifying the base content protection, only the stream. So it would come down to the content owners settings.

6.4.3 Relationship between Embedded CCI and EMI
A protected stream of content may consist of one or more programs. Each of these programs may be assigned
a different level of Embedded CCI. Since EMI is associated with the overall stream of content it is possible that
the stream will be composed of multiple programs and that the EMI will not match the Embedded CCI value of
each of the protected programs. In the event that there is a conflict, the most restrictive Embedded CCI value
will be used for the EMI.

Thanks,

Dylan

Everybody loves Raymond does this on a regular basis as well. I think that was coming from channel 11, may be tbs as well.
post #3270 of 3568 Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

Everybody loves Raymond does this on a regular basis as well. I think that was coming from channel 11, may be tbs as well.

Also I can confirm based on the diag web page for the HD Homerun Prime that has helped me troubleshoot sdv problems in my area it does indicate the stream is copy freely but the embedded copy protection is copy never.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page