St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3541 of 3565 Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After roughly a week and a half, what adds up to about 3 hours on hold, one wasted trip to a Charter location, and two trips to my house by Charter techs...

I have a fully functioning TiVo Roamio! Yay!

And it's pretty freaking awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3565 Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
I have been thinking about getting one. What makes it better than the previous models? Can you transfer your recordings when you get a roamio or are they lost?
post #3543 of 3565 Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by breynolds47 View Post

I have been thinking about getting one. What makes it better than the previous models? Can you transfer your recordings when you get a roamio or are they lost?

If anyone knows of any DVR made by anyone that allows recordings from one unit to the other, I'd pay a dollar for that .. eek.gif

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3544 of 3565 Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM

I would think since they are both tivo and under the same account that it should be possible but I am assuming that tivo would never allow this.
post #3545 of 3565 Old 02-08-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would think since they are both tivo and under the same account that it should be possible but I am assuming that tivo would never allow this.

I spent many an hour trying to move content from one DVR to another .. or to a PC .. I had several MOXI's fail at various times and got very tired of the loss of content .. the saved content was always encrypted in some way or in an unrecognizable file format or some such ..

The only way I could ever get anything to work was by using an active DVR USB port, watching the content as I then outputted to a PC .. IOW, live recording .. which kinda defeated the purpose of saving the material for watching later .. I suppose I could have just walked away and came back as each program ended and then do another, but I tried one program and the quality went down to no better than VHS .. and took up huge space on the hardrive I was using ..

I heard that Dish might have a way to do it with their systems .. but with DRM and what not, I don't know ..

My current 2 Charter DVR's .. Moto's .. do not have active USB ports even though there are ports on the machines .. which then defeats the purpose of the USB port since it's there to dump content on when the DVR's internal drive gets full ...

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3546 of 3565 Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM

Took me a bit to get my media center pc back up after the conversion to all digital. I didn't realize I had to select the digital upgrade when setting up my tuners again. I'm kind of angry that Charter choose to encrypt the local stations. Makes the 4 qam tuners I have in my media center useless.
post #3547 of 3565 Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:

The TiVo Roamio can tape 6 shows at once and has a ton of space. 150 hours of HD in my model. You can watch any show on your TiVo anywhere on an iPhone or iPad*. It works great on your wifi network and even okayish away from home. You can also manage the box from your phone, set it to tape things, delete shows, whatever you want.

It also has a great (and now) snappy interface. Way better than a cable company DVR. More options as well.

*Android support is supposed to be coming, but has been delayed multiple times. Supposedly this summer. We'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If anyone knows of any DVR made by anyone that allows recordings from one unit to the other, I'd pay a dollar for that .. eek.gif

TiVo allows this.

Quote:

As long as both TiVos have open active accounts through TiVo you can transfer all of your shows.

Some content can be flagged as copy protected and you cannot transfer them, but I've never actually seen a single show on Charter that can't be transferred. Some other cable carriers are apparently really bad about this and block a lot of stuff. HBO might block transfers, I don't have HBO so I'm not sure, but maybe I heard that once...
breynolds47 likes this.
post #3548 of 3565 Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
So, is cable direct into a TV now completely screwed? I have a cable box downstairs but for the bedroom had just run cable direct into the HDTV, which worked great until a week or two ago. Now I get zero channels, the HD ones say they are encrypted and the old 'basic cable' section is completely dead as well.

So, need a cable box or cable card or whatever to get anything now? That'd be a real pisser given how much I am paying for everything...
post #3549 of 3565 Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
So, is cable direct into a TV now completely screwed?

Yes, once the signal goes encrypted. You'll need an STB for access to cable content. Otherwise, consider an antenna for locations where it's enough.
post #3550 of 3565 Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

So, is cable direct into a TV now completely screwed? I have a cable box downstairs but for the bedroom had just run cable direct into the HDTV, which worked great until a week or two ago. Now I get zero channels, the HD ones say they are encrypted and the old 'basic cable' section is completely dead as well.

So, need a cable box or cable card or whatever to get anything now? That'd be a real pisser given how much I am paying for everything...

The removal of the concurrent analog feed was part of the plan .. reasons .. ?? Conserves bandwidth, eliminates CATV theft ..

post #3551 of 3565 Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM

This is probably a question no one knows the answer to but...

I'm scheduled to have the digital switch-over on the 18th. Does anyone know what time this happens? Midnight on the night of the 17th? Some random time?

I only ask because I'm a big hockey fan and this is right in the middle of the Olympics which takes place at all goofball hours of the night. For example... there are games scheduled for 2AM and 6AM that night.

The good news is that these are games I'm not really that interested in, but still... I'm going to have to completely redo my TiVo channel info after the switch and it's going to take some time to get it sorted out.
post #3552 of 3565 Old 02-17-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post

This is probably a question no one knows the answer to but...

I'm scheduled to have the digital switch-over on the 18th. Does anyone know what time this happens? Midnight on the night of the 17th? Some random time?

I only ask because I'm a big hockey fan and this is right in the middle of the Olympics which takes place at all goofball hours of the night. For example... there are games scheduled for 2AM and 6AM that night.

The good news is that these are games I'm not really that interested in, but still... I'm going to have to completely redo my TiVo channel info after the switch and it's going to take some time to get it sorted out.

I'm in St. Louis city, and the change happened overnight in one night. However, it took TiVo a while to fix the lineup. I had to call, and they seemed unaware of the Charter lineup change. The CSR bumped the issue to the lineup people who got it fixed in a couple of days.

HOWEVER -- you have to rerun guided setup. The new lineup won't appear on its own. In my case in 63118 the lineup is Cable Provider <<Charter Communications South City - Saint Louis>> Digital Rebuild Lineup.

So once you see that the TiVo channel listings have changed, rerun guided setup and you'll probably see a new entry for your area.
post #3553 of 3565 Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Still no change over here in Fenton. Waiting for my new HD channels like DIYHD and H2HD. Contacted charter, they couldn't tell me a date, said to just keep checking my bill.

post #3554 of 3565 Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 AM

My change happened at some point in the middle of the night as well.

I'm a little annoyed because I lost the HUB network and HDNET Movies... but then again, I was only getting them because of some weird oversight or glitch so it's not really like I "lost" them. I stopped getting them for free.

Now I either need to break it to my kid that half of his favorite shows won't be showing up anymore or actually pay the extra $5 bucks a month for the next tier up. If it is still actually $5 a month.
post #3555 of 3565 Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktau02 View Post

Still no change over here in Fenton. Waiting for my new HD channels like DIYHD and H2HD. Contacted charter, they couldn't tell me a date, said to just keep checking my bill.

Nick those are 2 Channels that I like also, do you have the supposed channel #'s
That will be cool, instead of watching those in non-HDTV

Also how does Charter justify raising the 30meg internet to $45, that is total BS..
post #3556 of 3565 Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM

According to charters website. The numbers for DIYHD will be 752 and H2HD will be 767. Still no change over..

post #3557 of 3565 Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arative View Post

I'm kind of angry that Charter choose to encrypt the local stations. Makes the 4 qam tuners I have in my media center useless
Yeah, that pissed me off, too. However, I'm going to get an antenna and hopefully put them back to use, in the process making it easier to cut the cord if I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Via Wikipedia
Quote:
The two most popular flags used are Copy Freely and Copy Once. Copy Freely is essentially no flag at all, while Copy Once means that a DVR can make one copy, but no more copies can be made. The best examples of these in use are in regard to the TiVo and Windows Media Center. A show that is marked Copy Once can not be transferred to another TiVo via the Multi-Room Viewing feature and can not be transferred to the computer via TiVoToGo. In regard to Windows Media Center, shows marked Copy Once can only be played on the same PC in which they were recorded and the directly connected Extenders for Media Center like the Xbox 360

Fortunately Charter marks all basic and expanded channels Copy Freely. I think the extra tiers may also be marked this way, but I don't subscribe to any so I can't check. Premiums are marked Copy Once according to Charter. So if the DVR doesn't allow transfers of the Copy Freely stuff, then it's the DVR's fault. I have a multi-room MythTV setup. Recordings from my HDHomeRun Prime are dumped right to my hard disk unencrypted/DRM-free, so I can watch them anywhere, transcode for DVD, save to another drive, etc.
post #3558 of 3565 Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM

I have a dvr that records to a dvd disk.
Can this be used [hooked up] to record [make disk] of all channels on Charter ???

Anyone have issues receiving Golf Channel [blocks & bars on screen] ?

Anyone else dislike how they made all the premium channels to HD, starts @ 500 now and many are just duplicates ?
post #3559 of 3565 Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Nope, everything is encrypted now, so only DVRs/tuners that take CableCard will work.
post #3560 of 3565 Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks Bungle, I was afraid of that !
I'll just keep it hooked up to the HDTV antennae !

Know anything about copying their signal on a computer with a DVD dRive ?
post #3561 of 3565 Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Anyone having issues with HD channel 821, 822 and possibly other. Always getting S0008 ref code - channel will be available shortly. Had a tech out for a few hours. Was working when he left, but same old again today.
post #3562 of 3565 Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Anyone heard when Charter will go fully digital in Woodson Terrace / Overland area? My understanding is anyone with the 30/4 HSI will have a speed increase to 60/4.

Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

post #3563 of 3565 Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Everything is encrypted up to the CableCard device. After that it depends on the CCI flags. Luckily most non-premiums here are marked Copy Freely, so once the CableCard device decrypts it you can do what you want. I use this fact to re-encode the kids' shows so they can watch them on their tablets in the car, though before they had those I made DVDs for the car. For things that aren't marked Copy Freely only a Tivo or WMC can get it, and it gets locked down, so you are SOL.
post #3564 of 3565 Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Your problem like others, could have been helped along with tech assist from Umatter2Charter on this site.
Sadly Charter closed it's tech support on this site !!mad.gif

Quote:
This was in response to Ort's posting:
After roughly a week and a half, what adds up to about 3 hours on hold, one wasted trip to a Charter location, and two trips to my house by Charter techs...

I have a fully functioning TiVo Roamio! Yay!

And it's pretty freaking awesome.
post #3565 of 3565 Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Charter spectrum

Has anyone heard much about this Charter Spectrum?

I checked and it's not available in my area just yet.

Mike
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page