Forum Jump: 

post #3571 of 3574 Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whole House DVR

Will Charter ever have a multi-room DVR system? Their rationalization that separate DVR's in each room is better is hogwash. You can't continue to watch the same program in different rooms.

I'm wondering why most all of the competition has a multi-room DVR system, but Charter can't seem to get it's act together on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3574 Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
Will Charter ever have a multi-room DVR system? Their rationalization that separate DVR's in each room is better is hogwash. You can't continue to watch the same program in different rooms.

I'm wondering why most all of the competition has a multi-room DVR system, but Charter can't seem to get it's act together on this issue.
Charter actually did have that tech in the works, I believe with TIVO .. but they dropped the R&D a year or two ago .. preferring, I believe, to concentrate on delivery VIA On Demand to multi devices .. which is BS because On Demand is BS .. especially on non-PPV material

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3573 of 3574 Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

My guess is because the current CEO Tom Rutledge who is the former CEO of Cablevision will prefer to roll out remote DVR. Seems like he's slowly turning Charter into what Cablevision is.

Remote storage DVR is more cost efficient to the cable operator than MR-DVR because it doesn't require costly new hardware, doesn't require a costly truck roll, training techs on MOCA, installing filters, etc. Remote storage DVR if implemented can use existing hardware in the customers' homes and only require hardware installed & work done in the headend and hubs.
post #3574 of 3574 Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
My guess is because the current CEO Tom Rutledge who is the former CEO of Cablevision will prefer to roll out remote DVR. Seems like he's slowly turning Charter into what Cablevision is.

Remote storage DVR is more cost efficient to the cable operator than MR-DVR because it doesn't require costly new hardware, doesn't require a costly truck roll, training techs on MOCA, installing filters, etc. Remote storage DVR if implemented can use existing hardware in the customers' homes and only require hardware installed & work done in the headend and hubs.
With what Charter charges for a DVR "rental", they are doing quite well with the current solution ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page