Forum Jump: 

post #3571 of 3587 Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whole House DVR

Will Charter ever have a multi-room DVR system? Their rationalization that separate DVR's in each room is better is hogwash. You can't continue to watch the same program in different rooms.

I'm wondering why most all of the competition has a multi-room DVR system, but Charter can't seem to get it's act together on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3587 Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
Will Charter ever have a multi-room DVR system? Their rationalization that separate DVR's in each room is better is hogwash. You can't continue to watch the same program in different rooms.

I'm wondering why most all of the competition has a multi-room DVR system, but Charter can't seem to get it's act together on this issue.
Charter actually did have that tech in the works, I believe with TIVO .. but they dropped the R&D a year or two ago .. preferring, I believe, to concentrate on delivery VIA On Demand to multi devices .. which is BS because On Demand is BS .. especially on non-PPV material

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3573 of 3587 Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

My guess is because the current CEO Tom Rutledge who is the former CEO of Cablevision will prefer to roll out remote DVR. Seems like he's slowly turning Charter into what Cablevision is.

Remote storage DVR is more cost efficient to the cable operator than MR-DVR because it doesn't require costly new hardware, doesn't require a costly truck roll, training techs on MOCA, installing filters, etc. Remote storage DVR if implemented can use existing hardware in the customers' homes and only require hardware installed & work done in the headend and hubs.
post #3574 of 3587 Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctveng View Post
My guess is because the current CEO Tom Rutledge who is the former CEO of Cablevision will prefer to roll out remote DVR. Seems like he's slowly turning Charter into what Cablevision is.

Remote storage DVR is more cost efficient to the cable operator than MR-DVR because it doesn't require costly new hardware, doesn't require a costly truck roll, training techs on MOCA, installing filters, etc. Remote storage DVR if implemented can use existing hardware in the customers' homes and only require hardware installed & work done in the headend and hubs.
With what Charter charges for a DVR "rental", they are doing quite well with the current solution ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3575 of 3587 Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gonna be adding Charter to my fiancee's Tivo Wednesday (just getting a multistream cablecard into the Tivo, not getting a Charter DVR). She was OTA-only up til now. I told the gal at the desk it has to be a multistream card, because the Tivo specifically states "multistream cablecard only."

Any of you experienced Charter customers know of any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for, before/during/after installation? Charter's ability to screw things up is legendary, so I'm sure there have to be some.

Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #3576 of 3587 Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only "gotcha" per se is that the techs have no idea what the hell they are doing with cable cards and only about 50% of cable cards seem to actually work. Prepare yourself for a long drawn-out and most likely bad experience.

Most techs have never even seen a TiVo. They don't even carry able cards in their vans anymore. Read up on the process before they come out. Print out the instructions and be prepared to show it to them and/or do it yourself.
post #3577 of 3587 Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You had that 100% right. It was his first ever Cablecard install. He didn't even know whether the Cablecard he had was a single stream or multistream (the Tivo specifically says "multistream only" over the slot). Luckily it turned out to be a multistream. Took 3 hours even though we had existing wiring from a previous Charter install at the house. But everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

post #3578 of 3587 Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, noticing that there's a lot of channels that have no info in the Channel Guide. FX is one. Not in the Channel Guide at all, either the HD or the SD channels. So I manually added channel 784 to the guide and FX is there, but the guide says no info available. Had to schedule a manual recording for the new Kelsey Grammer sitcom.

At first I figured it was something to do with the Tivo and Cablecard, but a coworker (who has the regular Charter DVR) says she's missing channels in her guide, too.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

post #3579 of 3587 Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Okay, noticing that there's a lot of channels that have no info in the Channel Guide. FX is one. Not in the Channel Guide at all, either the HD or the SD channels. So I manually added channel 784 to the guide and FX is there, but the guide says no info available. Had to schedule a manual recording for the new Kelsey Grammer sitcom.

At first I figured it was something to do with the Tivo and Cablecard, but a coworker (who has the regular Charter DVR) says she's missing channels in her guide, too.

Thanks!
I have that problem as well since the last channel expansion. I admit I have not called because I can't bear another round with the phone people (although, to be fair, Charter CS is a lot better than it used to be).

But that's what you'll have to do: Call Charter and make sure that the service you signed up for is the service they think you have; and/or they might have to send signal to the box to reset the CC to receive the channels you're supposed to get.
post #3580 of 3587 Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM

I'm still using TiVos but I'm considering going back to Charter DVR and using Slingbox to get remote viewing etc. But I fear that Charter's DVR tech is still stone age.

Can anybody tell me what the top box is that Charter's using? Make and model number?

thx
post #3581 of 3587 Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

Thanks!

This is an issue with many cable cards .. I have never heard, though, of a regular Charter DVR not picking up on all channels and providing viewing info .. although, if it's newly installed, or the power goes out it can take some time to re-populate the info .. sometimes days for it to see 10 days out ..

Uncle Willie

post #3582 of 3587 Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post
I'm still using TiVos but I'm considering going back to Charter DVR and using Slingbox to get remote viewing etc. But I fear that Charter's DVR tech is still stone age.

Can anybody tell me what the top box is that Charter's using? Make and model number?

thx
It's usually best to contact Charter on that since it can vary by the area .. there is not full consistency that I know of ..

Uncle Willie

post #3583 of 3587 Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
It's usually best to contact Charter on that since it can vary by the area .. there is not full consistency that I know of ..
The problem I keep having is that my DVR is scheduling rerun shows to record even though it is set for new shows only. This occurs when the program guide info is something generic. For example, American Pickers might say something like "2 friends travel the country searching for treasures" or whatever instead of info specific to the particular episode. I have noticed this on several programs (American Pickers, Deadliest Catch & American Restoration to name a few).

Any ideas how to solve this?
post #3584 of 3587 Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
The problem I keep having is that my DVR is scheduling rerun shows to record even though it is set for new shows only. This occurs when the program guide info is something generic. For example, American Pickers might say something like "2 friends travel the country searching for treasures" or whatever instead of info specific to the particular episode. I have noticed this on several programs (American Pickers, Deadliest Catch & American Restoration to name a few).

I've had that happen myself .. your DVR is not fully populated .. I unplug then plug back in for a hard re-boot .. it takes some time to fully re-populate, but it has always corrected the problem .. my main problem channel is AMC and FX ..

Uncle Willie

post #3585 of 3587 Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post

It's a flagging issue at the content level. I'm getting that issue lately with Daily Show. Also have had that problem with shows like Continuum that had their first run in Canada or the UK: if I set tivo season pass for new episodes only, it won't record any.
post #3586 of 3587 Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I forgot to check my channel guide before leaving for work this morning. Did the SEC Network get added in overnight?
post #3587 of 3587 Old 08-24-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Have Charter internet and having problems?

As of yesterday, Charter is having DNS routing issues nationwide. Don't know (and don't care, you'll see why below) if they've gotten it fixed today.

Because if you're a computer geek you can bypass Charter's issues and fix it yourself.

Change your default DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS server) instead of automatic (using Charter).

You can do this per computer/device, or in your router which will apply to all devices connected to it (wired or wireless). If you have several PC's and Smart TV's and Roku boxes and stuff, it's best to do it in the router (so you only have to do it once).

Should solve your internet problems instantly, and you do NOT have to change this setting back if and when Charter gets its own problems fixed.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

You can also Google "how to manually change DNS on _____ router"
Replace _____ with your router make/model.

Hope this helps.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page