St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #3601 of 3611 Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Member
 
tlmcca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Glen Carbon, IL
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tivo Roamio experiences in the Maryville, IL area?

Tivo Roamio experiences in the Maryville, IL area?


I m a current Charter Silver subscriber in the Maryville, IL area and I've been thinking about dumping the Moto DVRs for Tivo Roamio + Mini. However, I've read a lot of horror stories about getting the Tivo boxes working with Charter's service. Most of these seem to be caused by Charter failing to supply the correct CableCard with an appropriate firmware level. It also appears that the level of knowledge on the part of the service techs varies greatly. Given all this, I'd really like to hear from anyone connected via the Maryville headend who has experience with Tivo, especially the Tivo Roamio.

Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by tlmcca; 02-10-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added notification
tlmcca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3602 of 3611 Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
tootal2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: eureka, mo
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmcca View Post
Tivo Roamio experiences in the Maryville, IL area?


I m a current Charter Silver subscriber in the Maryville, IL area and I've been thinking about dumping the Moto DVRs for Tivo Roamio + Mini. However, I've read a lot of horror stories about getting the Tivo boxes working with Charter's service. Most of these seem to be caused by Charter failing to supply the correct CableCard with an appropriate firmware level. It also appears that the level of knowledge on the part of the service techs varies greatly. Given all this, I'd really like to hear from anyone connected via the Maryville headend who has experience with Tivo, especially the Tivo Roamio.

Thanks,
Terry
I just got a TiVo roamio and a TiVo mini, the charter tech was complaining about TiVo the all the time. but it he got it working.
they don't like tivos
tootal2 is offline  
post #3603 of 3611 Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Simandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 2,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My fiancee has a Tivo Premiere (the model before the Roamio) and Charter in St. Charles. While it receives all the channels she watches, a show-stopping error message about not detecting the tuner adapter would appear every few minutes until I disconnected the tuning adapter completely.

I assume this means she won't be able to watch some channels that depend on "switched digital video." Apparently none of the channels she watches, because she hasn't had a problem since.

Another issue is while she can watch all the channels she wants, many of those channels (mainly HD cable channels) are missing channel guide info. There's a signal on those channels and she can watch them without incident, but the guide says "no program info" for all those channels. And has from day one.

Charter tech guy came out to look at that and said there's nothing he can do. It's all because the maker of the tuning adapter needs to issue a firmware update. I have difficulty believing the channel guide issue is because of this.

She pretty much watches just the local channels anyway, so she's leaving it as is (we've tried a few indoor antennas, they don't bring in a reliable signal and her landlord won't let us put up a roof antenna).

When we get married and she moves into my place, we'll have DirecTV and put her Tivo in a lesser-used room hooked up to the antenna on MY roof.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

Last edited by Robert Simandl; 02-26-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Robert Simandl is offline  
post #3604 of 3611 Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Simandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 2,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Well, my fiancee just got her Charter bill for the month.

They added a $45 service call charge for the tech guy (that I mentioned in my previous post) who came out to tell her there's nothing he could do about her tuning adapter problem.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Charter?

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Robert Simandl is offline  
post #3605 of 3611 Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
tootal2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: eureka, mo
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Well, my fiancee just got her Charter bill for the month.

They added a $45 service call charge for the tech guy (that I mentioned in my previous post) who came out to tell her there's nothing he could do about her tuning adapter problem.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Charter?
you wont lose a lot of channels if you just unplug the tuning adapter. also remove all the channels you don't get and make sure you remove channel 1 from the channels list.

Last edited by tootal2; 03-08-2015 at 09:48 AM.
tootal2 is offline  
post #3606 of 3611 Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Robert Simandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 2,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unplugging the tuning adapter is exactly what I did. Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
Robert Simandl is offline  
post #3607 of 3611 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 199
This post is totally off topic. It's me, after all.

Does anyone know someone local who could help me get a few aerial video shots from a drone? They don't have to be super high resolution, but I want to be able to control the framing so I get what I want. I'll need to see (i.e. through WiFi on my Android phone) what's being shot. I'd love to do it myself, but I have no drone flying skills and don't want to risk a crash.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
post #3608 of 3611 Old Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
This post is totally off topic. It's me, after all.

Does anyone know someone local who could help me get a few aerial video shots from a drone? They don't have to be super high resolution, but I want to be able to control the framing so I get what I want. I'll need to see (i.e. through WiFi on my Android phone) what's being shot. I'd love to do it myself, but I have no drone flying skills and don't want to risk a crash.


http://stlouisdrones.net/drone-services/

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #3609 of 3611 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Thanks.
Joseph Clark is online now  
post #3610 of 3611 Unread Today, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomhunter8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
This post is totally off topic. It's me, after all.

Does anyone know someone local who could help me get a few aerial video shots from a drone? They don't have to be super high resolution, but I want to be able to control the framing so I get what I want. I'll need to see (i.e. through WiFi on my Android phone) what's being shot. I'd love to do it myself, but I have no drone flying skills and don't want to risk a crash.
The NSA?
tomhunter8 is online now  
post #3611 of 3611 Unread Today, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
The NSA?
I asked them. They said they'd do it, but no one could watch the video or they'd have to lock me up.

I got some info on this, but it may not be necessary after all. I may have a different source for the shots.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off