St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 121 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #3601 of 3618 Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tivo Roamio experiences in the Maryville, IL area?

I m a current Charter Silver subscriber in the Maryville, IL area and I've been thinking about dumping the Moto DVRs for Tivo Roamio + Mini. However, I've read a lot of horror stories about getting the Tivo boxes working with Charter's service. Most of these seem to be caused by Charter failing to supply the correct CableCard with an appropriate firmware level. It also appears that the level of knowledge on the part of the service techs varies greatly. Given all this, I'd really like to hear from anyone connected via the Maryville headend who has experience with Tivo, especially the Tivo Roamio.

Thanks,
Terry

Last edited by tlmcca; 02-10-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added notification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3618 Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmcca View Post

I m a current Charter Silver subscriber in the Maryville, IL area and I've been thinking about dumping the Moto DVRs for Tivo Roamio + Mini. However, I've read a lot of horror stories about getting the Tivo boxes working with Charter's service. Most of these seem to be caused by Charter failing to supply the correct CableCard with an appropriate firmware level. It also appears that the level of knowledge on the part of the service techs varies greatly. Given all this, I'd really like to hear from anyone connected via the Maryville headend who has experience with Tivo, especially the Tivo Roamio.

Thanks,
Terry
I just got a TiVo roamio and a TiVo mini, the charter tech was complaining about TiVo the all the time. but it he got it working.
they don't like tivos
post #3603 of 3618 Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My fiancee has a Tivo Premiere (the model before the Roamio) and Charter in St. Charles. While it receives all the channels she watches, a show-stopping error message about not detecting the tuner adapter would appear every few minutes until I disconnected the tuning adapter completely.

I assume this means she won't be able to watch some channels that depend on "switched digital video." Apparently none of the channels she watches, because she hasn't had a problem since.

Another issue is while she can watch all the channels she wants, many of those channels (mainly HD cable channels) are missing channel guide info. There's a signal on those channels and she can watch them without incident, but the guide says "no program info" for all those channels. And has from day one.

Charter tech guy came out to look at that and said there's nothing he can do. It's all because the maker of the tuning adapter needs to issue a firmware update. I have difficulty believing the channel guide issue is because of this.

She pretty much watches just the local channels anyway, so she's leaving it as is (we've tried a few indoor antennas, they don't bring in a reliable signal and her landlord won't let us put up a roof antenna).

When we get married and she moves into my place, we'll have DirecTV and put her Tivo in a lesser-used room hooked up to the antenna on MY roof.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

Last edited by Robert Simandl; 02-26-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3604 of 3618 Old 02-26-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my fiancee just got her Charter bill for the month.

They added a $45 service call charge for the tech guy (that I mentioned in my previous post) who came out to tell her there's nothing he could do about her tuning adapter problem.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Charter?

post #3605 of 3618 Old 03-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Well, my fiancee just got her Charter bill for the month.

They added a $45 service call charge for the tech guy (that I mentioned in my previous post) who came out to tell her there's nothing he could do about her tuning adapter problem.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Charter?
you wont lose a lot of channels if you just unplug the tuning adapter. also remove all the channels you don't get and make sure you remove channel 1 from the channels list.

Last edited by tootal2; 03-08-2015 at 09:48 AM.
post #3606 of 3618 Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Unplugging the tuning adapter is exactly what I did. Thanks!

post #3607 of 3618 Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 223
This post is totally off topic. It's me, after all.

Does anyone know someone local who could help me get a few aerial video shots from a drone? They don't have to be super high resolution, but I want to be able to control the framing so I get what I want. I'll need to see (i.e. through WiFi on my Android phone) what's being shot. I'd love to do it myself, but I have no drone flying skills and don't want to risk a crash.

Joe Clark

post #3608 of 3618 Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Does anyone know someone local who could help me get a few aerial video shots from a drone? They don't have to be super high resolution, but I want to be able to control the framing so I get what I want. I'll need to see (i.e. through WiFi on my Android phone) what's being shot. I'd love to do it myself, but I have no drone flying skills and don't want to risk a crash.

http://stlouisdrones.net/drone-services/

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3609 of 3618 Old 03-12-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Thanks.
post #3610 of 3618 Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

The NSA?
post #3611 of 3618 Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
The NSA?
I asked them. They said they'd do it, but no one could watch the video or they'd have to lock me up.

I got some info on this, but it may not be necessary after all. I may have a different source for the shots.
tomhunter8 likes this.

Joe Clark

post #3612 of 3618 Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just floating this out there...

I feel like the HD video quality with Charter just gets worse and worse all of the time. It's compressed to hell and it's seriously driving me nuts. I hate it.

The difference between watching something on Charter and watching it from a streaming service is immediately noticeable. What's sad is that you get used to it after a while, and then when you watch something that's in HD and hasn't been compressed into hot pixelated mush by Charter, the difference is staggering. You realize just how badly they screw everything up.

If you're reading this Charter people... FIX THIS. IT SUCKS.
post #3613 of 3618 Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure which channels you're watching, but the local over-the-air channels are looking like crap even BEFORE Charter gets its hands on them.

That fact was brought home to me when watching the first two episodes of Under the Dome two years ago. I missed the first episode so I watched it on Amazon Prime, then immediately watched my DVR recording of episode 2. Night and day. The KMOV broadcast was notably softer than the Amazon stream, and the difference was NOT subtle. KMOV looked like SD by comparison. And this was directly over the air. No cable, no satellite.

The locals are killing themselves with multicasting.

Now if it's cable channels you're noticing, that probably *is* Charter's problem (though lately even cable shows like Walking Dead and Bates Motel look better on Amazon/Vudu than they do on my DirecTV).

post #3614 of 3618 Old 04-11-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
My experience on the Charter HD channels has been generally excellent .. as much as I hate to admit it, Charter is doing something right with my feed ..

Now, if I could just figure out a way to get the bill lower .. and those Charter TV commercials that have Pirates and Office People and Motorcycle Folks all singing and dancing around proclaiming $29.95 are really, really annoying ..

It's funny since last year or the year before, Charter declared they would initiate base pricing so all would be paying the same rate .. I priced a new subscription Gold Spectrum Plan Phone / ISP / Cable and 2 DVR's which is what I have now.. on line yesterday using a vacant house as the address (since it would not price for me using my address .. wonder why .. ?? ) .. it was fully $52.00 LESS than what I'm paying for my plan ... of course, only available to new subscribers ..

I'll buy anybody a beer that can tip me off on how to lower my bill ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3615 of 3618 Old 04-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
My experience on the Charter HD channels has been generally excellent .. as much as I hate to admit it, Charter is doing something right with my feed ..

Now, if I could just figure out a way to get the bill lower .. and those Charter TV commercials that have Pirates and Office People and Motorcycle Folks all singing and dancing around proclaiming $29.95 are really, really annoying ..

It's funny since last year or the year before, Charter declared they would initiate base pricing so all would be paying the same rate .. I priced a new subscription Gold Spectrum Plan Phone / ISP / Cable and 2 DVR's which is what I have now.. on line yesterday using a vacant house as the address (since it would not price for me using my address .. wonder why .. ?? ) .. it was fully $52.00 LESS than what I'm paying for my plan ... of course, only available to new subscribers ..

I'll buy anybody a beer that can tip me off on how to lower my bill ..
I have a tivo roamio with a cable card from Charter. I use it with 2 tivo minis so every room can watch shows from the tivo. I also have a tivo stream so I can watch my TV shows on my phone or tablet any where.

And it only cost me 2$ a month for the cable card. And 12.95 for tivo but my tivo is paid for.
post #3616 of 3618 Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
New Charter DVR

Has anyone heard that Charter will be bringing out a new multi-room DVR? I called to complain about my bill and the agent said they would have a new DVR system in about two months. When I see it, I'll believe it.
post #3617 of 3618 Old 05-14-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post
Has anyone heard that Charter will be bringing out a new multi-room DVR? I called to complain about my bill and the agent said they would have a new DVR system in about two months. When I see it, I'll believe it.
Just buy a tivo and tivo minis. You will just have to pay Charter 2$ a month for the cable card
post #3618 of 3618 Unread Today, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

According to both my fiancee and Charter's Facebook page, Charter's TV service in St. Charles/St. Peters is having another outage. Is there a PPV fight on tonight I didn't know about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page