Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2007, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckparr View Post

Have considered. Local dealer recommends a ten foot mast ((I'm north of Alton) plus would need a HD tuner. Satellite seems like a one-stop solution instead of switching antenna/cable depending on what we are watching. Plus in long run it seems either satellite choice will have more HD choices than Charter. After a year they added three crappy stretched HD channels.

I did a quick check of Alton's zip code in http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and you would have no problem pulling in the HD channels from St. Louis. CBS is only 27 miles away. Why not have the OTA antenna and satellite? That is what I have with Dish. I even have the OTA mounted in the attic. The VIP722 HD DVR with Dish can record three tuners at the same time using the OTA antenna. The OTA picture looks just as good as satellite. With the OTA you would have backup to satellite if you have loss of signal from thunderstorms. The 722 works bunches better than Charter's MOXI and the Motorola 3416 DVR.
LL
LL

Dish 1000+/Dish 500/SIRIUS Radio/OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4/26 dB PreAmp
119 / 110 / 61.5 / 118.7 / 129
DPP44 / Duo Nodex2 / HWSx4 / Joeyx1
Slingbox 500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrshell View Post

I did a quick check of Alton's zip code in http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and you would have no problem pulling in the HD channels from St. Louis. CBS is only 27 miles away. Why not have the OTA antenna and satellite? That is what I have with Dish. I even have the OTA mounted in the attic. The VIP722 HD DVR with Dish can record three tuners at the same time using the OTA antenna. The OTA picture looks just as good as satellite. With the OTA you would have backup to satellite if you have loss of signal from thunderstorms. The 722 works bunches better than Charter's MOXI and the Motorola 3416 DVR.

Two people with in a mile of me have sat. with antenna for OTA HD. Both told me they could not get good OTA signal until they put antenna on a mast on top of roof. I guess I figure I will have the same situation, and just haven't convinced myself to go to the hassle of antenna and another tuner.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM

Hey everyone heres the number for tech escalations at charter

636-387-6680

TV: Vizio 32" LCD and Toshiba 42" LCD
Cinema: Onkyo TX-SR304 and Sony STR-K790
HD:Directv HR21-100 and HR21-200 with 1TB External HDD
HD Players:Toshiba HD-A2,Sony BD-350
Remote: Harmony One
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid504 View Post

Hey everyone heres the number for tech escalations at charter

636-387-6680

What is tech escalations!!

Slingbox 500

Old 11-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrshell View Post

What is tech escalations!!

If your having a problem with a problem with something that you called up about like them keep on delaying an appointment or something they are the people to call.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Here is a sentence from a Charter news release: "Charter plans to provide over 100 high definition programming options by year end." What they don't say is which year end. You can see the complete text here: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...32&newsLang=en

This was posted over in the Moxi section.

Ron
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM

The link above does not work anymore so you can check out this link

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071105/20071105006132.html?.v=1

In other news:

I got a call from a charter general manager about my emails about them keep on delaying my install of an hd dvr he said he would reschedule it for tomorrow between 1-3pm and he did, which is cool since it was scheduled for the 17th..and originally the 1st

Old 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp1040 View Post

Here is a sentence from a Charter news release: "Charter plans to provide over 100 high definition programming options by year end." What they don't say is which year end. You can see the complete text here: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...32&newsLang=en

Ron

I highly suspect that they are including HD on Demand in that 100 figure so that they could quite feasibly have only 20-25 HD channels and around 75-80 HD on demand programs available at any given time.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Ron

Charter with 100 HD channels by year end? More like by decade end. I'lloeat my proverbial "hat" if that happens even by year end 2008. And The Weather Channel in HD-how exciting-I set for hours and hours and watch weather maps, about as exciting as traffic reports. Why watch HD movies and regular TV when you can watch HD weather reports. Can you tell I'm excited?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Here is a sentence from a Charter news release: "Charter plans to provide over 100 high definition programming options by year end." What they don't say is which year end. You can see the complete text here:

[I]At any given time they will be able to choose from over 100 high definition movies, series, educational shows and much more. Having content on demand means watching what you want when you want it, and now our customers can enjoy that choice and convenience in high definition.[/i]

Not channels!!! At the rate Charter is adding HD channels, it will take Charter 15 years until they have 100 channels in HD.

I have a courtesy account w/Charter thru 5/08 and get a deeply discounted rate. When that expires, it's DirectTV for me!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsClub View Post

[I]At any given time they will be able to choose from over 100 high definition movies, series, educational shows and much more. Having content on demand means watching what you want when you want it, and now our customers can enjoy that choice and convenience in high definition.[/i]

Not channels!!! At the rate Charter is adding HD channels, it will take Charter 15 years until they have 100 channels in HD.

I have a courtesy account w/Charter thru 5/08 and get a deeply discounted rate. When that expires, it's DirectTV for me!!!!!!

I fimally left Charter last week for D*. Couldn't be happier. In terms on number of HD channels I actually would watch, D* has 3 or 4 times as many as Charter. Add Channel 4 HD and the ability to integrate OTA HD signals into the D* channel guide (allowing for DVR recording of OTA), and the move was a no-brainer for me.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I fimally left Charter last week for D*. Couldn't be happier. In terms on number of HD channels I actually would watch, D* has 3 or 4 times as many as Charter. Add Channel 4 HD and the ability to integrate OTA HD signals into the D* channel guide (allowing for DVR recording of OTA), and the move was a no-brainer for me.

That is what I did too. Went from Charter to "E" Dish TV. The VIP722 DVR works bunches better than Charter's DVR.

Slingbox 500

Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I did just the opposite, went from D* to Charter, but not by choice. Damn HD dish is too big for my chimney and with a two story house and trees directly to the south, the chimney is the only place. After having Tivo and D* for years Charter was a big shock to the system.

Uverse is right around the corner...but I'll probably wait for them to iron out the bugs first. When they get it rolling and with all the future potential, I have a feeling Charter will be a thing of the past.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

For everyone with a MOXI.

Charter has enabled the option of recording/deleting things via www.charter.net Just log in and then click on the TV link and look to the right side. By the zipcode there is a link for DVR menu.

Enjoy.

Tim
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Does anybody know if Charter has activated the copy protection (CCI 0x02) on their HD content like HBO HD, Showtime HD etc?. I'm thinking of getting two HD Tivo's and want to use the Multi Room Viewing capability.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post

Charter has enabled the option of recording/deleting things via www.charter.net Just log in and then click on the TV link and look to the right side. By the zipcode there is a link for DVR menu.

Enjoy.

Tim

I was unable to find the DVR menu so I asked Charter.

I just used the online chat with charter and they said that Web DVR has not been released in my area yet. My services is thru Olivette. They were going to denote on my account to let me know when it is available. Maybe it will be in the next couple of days.

Ron
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM

FWIW, I live in the east Edwardsville area (have Charter) and wanted to watch the Colts-Patriots game in HD. I ressurected an antenna that I had bought last year for my non-HD CRT (in order to use during the post ice storm Charter blackout) and was able to receive KMOV HD very well (92% signal strength) with it on the floor (!) behind the TV.

It''s a "HD" model (which means it looks fancy and costs more than it should) antenna with a circular UHF receiver and rabbit ears. I bought it at a local well known national electronics store and it cost around 65$.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM

Is it just me or does anyone else think that $44.95 for the bottom tier of Charter internet is over priced? That will be the charge as of 02/08. Yeah, I know if you complain you can get it cheaper, and I do but what a pain.

Prediction: Charter will be bought by another cable company soon. These folks do not know how to run a business. I have been with them over 20 years and love my Moxi DVR but as soon as an equal technology comes along I am out of here.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Was wanting to have some buddies over to watch the OSU vs KU game on Saturday OTA 30.1 but TitanTv doesn't list it in HD. Doesn't look like there are any games on ABC that are in HD. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Neuner
Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkconley View Post

Does anybody know if Charter has activated the copy protection (CCI 0x02) on their HD content like HBO HD, Showtime HD etc?. I'm thinking of getting two HD Tivo's and want to use the Multi Room Viewing capability.

Charter doesn't own the content. It is up to the owner of the copyright as to whether the flag is set.

A few years ago, Mr. Cuban said he was going to take an East Coast cable company to task for flagging HIS Maverick games.

Walt
Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Was wanting to have some buddies over to watch the OSU vs KU game on Saturday OTA 30.1 but TitanTv doesn't list it in HD. Doesn't look like there are any games on ABC that are in HD. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Neuner

Yes it is. All ABC Saturday night games are HD. Fredfa's Hot Off the Press thread in the HDTV Programming forum lists which games are in HD each week. Here's the link:HOTP
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM

Slightly off topic since it's not HD, but the NHL Network is now active on Charter on channel 410.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post

Enjoy.

Tim

Holy freakin hell, I never imagined charter would implement something like this. Just logged in hit a couple buttons and 2 seconds later the recording light turned on. Thanks for the heads up on this, I would have NEVER noticed it on my own, I never log into charter's site.

edit: Just played around , you can even view what's recorded (but not watch it) and delete stuff, cancel recordings, and so on.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

Yes it is. All ABC Saturday night games are HD. Fredfa's Hot Off the Press thread in the HDTV Programming forum lists which games are in HD each week. Here's the link:HOTP

That is not always the case. Last weeks Oklahoma game was NOT hd.

Tim
Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM

True, but there have been plenty of instances in which the local cable company simply has the Flags set to be on by default. This is what I'm wondering....
Old 11-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Just to inform everyone Sears has the Toshiba HD Dvd Player HD-A2 On sale for 98 Dollars

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid504 View Post

Just to inform everyone Sears has the Toshiba HD Dvd Player HD-A2 On sale for 98 Dollars

Just saw this, is this still going on? It's not listed on their website.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was unable to find the DVR menu so I asked Charter.

I just used the online chat with charter and they said that Web DVR has not been released in my area yet. My services is thru Olivette. They were going to denote on my account to let me know when it is available. Maybe it will be in the next couple of days.

Ron

I'm calling BS on that.

Is it working yet?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post

Just saw this, is this still going on? It's not listed on their website.

It was on monday, i purchased mine at the st peters,mo location in mid rivers mall.