Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3574 Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin4u View Post

So what had happen was , Charter @ the lake of the ozarks is giving HD customers the old moxi DVR boxes from st. louis there is no other option

which is a bunch of BS if you ask me

and for some reason i cant get audio from the hdmi to dvi connection
with a 06' Pany plasma 50 inch

maybe a LOTO/HDcharter thread needs to be added

Believed translation: "@ the lake" = Lake of St. Louis

When using DVI to HDMI, you will NEVER be able to get audio. That's not a box limitation. DVI output only carries video. Period. Converting the connector to HDMI on the other end won't magically allow the connection to transmit audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3574 Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballcards View Post

Believed translation: "@ the lake" = Lake of St. Louis

When using DVI to HDMI, you will NEVER be able to get audio. That's not a box limitation. DVI output only carries video. Period. Converting the connector to HDMI on the other end won't magically allow the connection to transmit audio.

Actually, The Lake is The Lake of the Ozarks.
post #1083 of 3574 Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Anyone in need of an extra Moxi Mate box? If you have a Moxi 9022 with a Mate, this would allow you to hook up a 2nd Mate to your system. Let me know.
post #1084 of 3574 Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:

So what had happen was , Charter @ the lake of the ozarks is giving HD customers the old moxi DVR boxes from st. louis there is no other option

which is a bunch of BS if you ask me

and for some reason i cant get audio from the hdmi to dvi connection
with a 06' Pany plasma 50 inch

maybe a LOTO/HDcharter thread needs to be added

and i should also mention that non of them have a HDMI hookup

it is all DVI

more BS
post #1085 of 3574 Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:

and i should also mention that non of them have a HDMI hookup

it is all DVI

more BS

Well, some of us actually prefer the HDMI-less MOXI boxes to Charter's other HDMI-enabled DVR boxes.

Advantages:
External hard drive support
Far better user interface
Multi-room support with the Moxi 9022 and Mate

Quite frankly, if the day comes when Charter can no longer offer me a Moxi box, that is the day I will seriously consider jumping to DirecTV.
post #1086 of 3574 Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailorg View Post

Well, some of us actually prefer the HDMI-less MOXI boxes to Charter's other HDMI-enabled DVR boxes.

Advantages:
External hard drive support
Far better user interface
Multi-room support with the Moxi 9022 and Mate

Quite frankly, if the day comes when Charter can no longer offer me a Moxi box, that is the day I will seriously consider jumping to DirecTV.

Yeah I agree, the Moxi is one of the only things keeping me with Charter these days.. That and I still don't like the idea of a big dish on the side of my house.

-Phatty
post #1087 of 3574 Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the Charter feed of The Open breaking up? Is it Charter or a problem from the west coast? I have noticed that ESPN is not the most stable feed.

Walt
post #1088 of 3574 Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Anyone having issues with Charter internet? I'm experiencing periodic drops.
post #1089 of 3574 Old 06-18-2008, 09:10 AM

no problem in Manchester
post #1090 of 3574 Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Liked: 21
Had problems this morning in O'Fallon, MO OK now
post #1091 of 3574 Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

My internet is fine.

ESPN and ESPN2 are still breaking up. The recording of the front nine of the playoff is hard to watch and they were using the NBC feed. Seems to point to a Charter problem because the back nine recorded fine on both the DVR and the MyHD OTA.

Walt
post #1092 of 3574 Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Walt,

I recorded both ESPN and NBC parts and had no breakups on either.

Dave
post #1093 of 3574 Old 06-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2 View Post

My internet is fine.

ESPN and ESPN2 are still breaking up. The recording of the front nine of the playoff is hard to watch and they were using the NBC feed. Seems to point to a Charter problem because the back nine recorded fine on both the DVR and the MyHD OTA.

Walt

aspec2-

Do you have a Moxi box? I used to have ongoing signal strength problems on ESPN & ESPN2 while I had my Moxi.
post #1094 of 3574 Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM

I'm moving to St. Charles in late July and am curious if there is any light at the end of the tunnel for Charter getting a contract with CBS for carrying the HD signal. If not, what's the best choice for CBS HD (besides over the air). I was considering Satellite, but want to keep high speed broadband like I have with Comcast now.

Thanks

David
post #1095 of 3574 Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalaman View Post

Walt,

I recorded both ESPN and NBC parts and had no breakups on either.

Where are you Dave? I live off Glen Crossing Road. There is a lot of construction going on (Uverse and curbs are coming). Charter keeps telling me that the construction is the problem. The problem is affecting everyone I know with Charter HD in my area (a large sample of 2). I have a Moto DVR and a 6200. The problem is on both although the 6200 is not as bad. I don't see how this can be construction related and not have the construction affect any of the other HD channels.

Oh, btw, it is a Charter problem. Sat subs are not affected.

Walt
post #1096 of 3574 Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues96 View Post

I'm moving to St. Charles in late July and am curious if there is any light at the end of the tunnel for Charter getting a contract with CBS for carrying the HD signal. If not, what's the best choice for CBS HD (besides over the air). I was considering Satellite, but want to keep high speed broadband like I have with Comcast now.

Thanks

David

I contact Charter monthly about progress on the CBS/Belo situation. I keep getting the "negotiations continue and we are hopeful" line. Last month I had an e-mail from one of their customer service reps. after my monthly inquiry, and she as much as said there was no progress expected in the next few months and encouraged me to consider OTA options. I too would like to keep cable for the high speed internet and what seems to be less hassle than satellite. (I am in Alton and have had no issues with picture quality-I just would like CBS-HD.) OTA is difficult for me because of the distance, I would need a roof mounted antenna/switcher, etc. and again that is more hassle. So, I have just resolved to keep Charter for now and continue to complain.
post #1097 of 3574 Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see Charter striking a deal with Belo before the shutdown in February. When there is only digital what will happen with "right to carry". Perhaps they will continue the SD feed as a sub channel. They either do that or lose out with commercials to all the charter subs.

Walt
post #1098 of 3574 Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I don't see Charter striking a deal with Belo before the shutdown in February. When there is only digital what will happen with "right to carry". Perhaps they will continue the SD feed as a sub channel. They either do that or lose out with commercials to all the charter subs.

Walt

I may be wrong but I think Charter is caring the digital signal just not the HD signal so the February deadline has no effect on this. But like I said I could be wrong.
post #1099 of 3574 Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Charter carries the analog signal and converts it to digital and delivers both. Belo's digital channels are channel 56 and channel 4-2 (I don't know what it is mapped from). When analog goes away, there will be nothing for Charter to convert to digital. I think it is going to get very interesting. The fight is on now about subchannels and right to carry. Will the providers be allowed to force subchannel carraige through "right to carry". I hope not.

Walt
post #1100 of 3574 Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick correction... KMOV discontinued channel 4-2 a couple of months ago. Never announced or anything, it just stopped registering during HD tuner OTA autoscans and channel 4-1 started receiving full bandwidth again. The full bandwidth was demonstrated by 1-hour recordings taking almost 6 gigs of hard drive space after editing commercials. While 4-2 was active, those same 1 hour recordings from 4-1 only took four and a half gigs.

Here's hoping (unrealistically, unfortunately) that 4-2 NEVER comes back!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #1101 of 3574 Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:

I think Charter carries the analog signal and converts it to digital and delivers both. Belo's digital channels are channel 56 and channel 4-2 (I don't know what it is mapped from). When analog goes away, there will be nothing for Charter to convert to digital. I think it is going to get very interesting. The fight is on now about subchannels and right to carry. Will the providers be allowed to force subchannel carraige through "right to carry". I hope not.

Walt

But look at channel 9 (PBS). 9.1 is PBS-HD. 9.3 is a digital version of the analog broadcast. 9.2 (I think) is cartoons, and 9.4 is something else. I personally want all those channels over charter!

Ned
post #1102 of 3574 Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBuckmaster View Post

But look at channel 9 (PBS). 9.1 is PBS-HD. 9.3 is a digital version of the analog broadcast. 9.2 (I think) is cartoons, and 9.4 is something else. I personally want all those channels over charter!

Ned

All those channels come at the price of QUALITY. If you remember when PBS went HD the signal was 1080i. It is now 720p and not nearly as good because of all the bandwidth sucking subchannels.

Walt
post #1103 of 3574 Old 06-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Jesus, I am trying to watch TBS HD right now (The Office) and it is beyond watchable

Sometimes I hate Charter (a lot)
post #1104 of 3574 Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

On the news last night I heard the Charter is not going to track our browsing habits.

Walt
post #1105 of 3574 Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF4L View Post

Jesus, I am trying to watch TBS HD right now (The Office) and it is beyond watchable

Sometimes I hate Charter (a lot)

ESPN/2 HD on Monday was barely watchable; Showtime HD had breakups; even FX standard def recorded a few days ago had breakups.

Last night, ESPN HD seemed almost OK.

I had a tech out a couple of weeks ago to check signal levels and my Moxi, and everything here is OK.

Perhaps a bunch of us should keep a log -- time, location, channel, etc -- and compile it for Steve Trippe...
barry
post #1106 of 3574 Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi all, I'm moving to St Louis in roughly two weeks (near Wash U). I'm looking over the Charter services to determine what I want to do, and I had a few questions in no particular order.

#1 - There are three Internet tiers listed. For my usage I think the medium option would be sufficient, if "up to" means "at least 1/2 of up to full what we list" if that makes sense. I have Time Warner right now and get around 5kbps down and 0.5 kbps up max. The question: when they say "up to 10kbps down and 1kbps up", what kind of realistic rates do you see?

#2 - The website mentions you can use your own hardware (!) and do the install yourself (!!) instead of them doing it. This is rather shocking to me coming from a service where that just isn't an option. Has anyone gone this route? I would probably buy the hardware and have them install it so they can do any cabling interior to the house that is necessary but would appreciate any thoughts on this.

#3 - From reading previous posts it would appear that the Moxi box is the way to go. It seems like this is something you can ask for but with variable success... any suggestions here would be appreciated.

#4 - The Charter site I am on right now (www.charteronly.com) has various packages listed but I can't find a channel lineup here. Where can
I find the channel listings?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
post #1107 of 3574 Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Hi all, I'm moving to St Louis in roughly two weeks (near Wash U). I'm looking over the Charter services to determine what I want to do, and I had a few questions in no particular order.

#1 - There are three Internet tiers listed. For my usage I think the medium option would be sufficient, if "up to" means "at least 1/2 of up to full what we list" if that makes sense. I have Time Warner right now and get around 5kbps down and 0.5 kbps up max. The question: when they say "up to 10kbps down and 1kbps up", what kind of realistic rates do you see?

I have the same tier you're considering, and I pretty consistently hit around the mark. Just now, at speedtest.net, I got 10674/971, and I'm in the central west end (about 2 miles east of where you're looking). Should be similar.

Quote:

#4 - The Charter site I am on right now (www.charteronly.com) has various packages listed but I can't find a channel lineup here. Where can
I find the channel listings?

Charter.com has lineups, as do several tvguide type websites. But charter.com is the official site.

You may want to call and see if they can beat some of the referral deals - for example, I'm on the Charter Biggest package for $49.99 for a year based on a deal I'd seen online, and I have 10mb internet for $20 and phone for $15 per month for similar reasons. So look around, and see if they're willing to play ball to get your business. Especially if you're pre-wired, it doesn't cost them anything to activate you.
post #1108 of 3574 Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM

The self install more than likely is only an option for existing customers when they are changing/upgrading existing service... I would bet you will end up with an install tech being required to come on site... You may be able to negotiate a free install so don't just accept their installation fee by default without mentioning you don't like the idea of paying for the install.

Pretty much everything else has been covered by kerrigjl but I will just restate the importance of not accepting their first offer. Mention U-verse, Dish/directtv pricing and all that stuff before signing up. Also make sure that any promo you get on will last longer than just a couple months... 12 month promos are always optimal and never require a contract so you can cancel at any time.

As mentioned above Charter in St. Louis has a fairly good network 98% of the time so you almost always will get the speed they advertise. They from time to time do have bandwidth issues as they grow/increase speed packages but they usually are quick enough to respond to those issues and get them resolved fairly quickly.

-Phatty
post #1109 of 3574 Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks for the replies guys, this is great info.

I am not much of a haggler by nature but I think I'm going to have to force myself to do it this time. Hopefully I am successful despite lack of practice/ability

I will make sure to check around for competitor pricing as well as any deals that might be floating around too...

Again, thanks!
post #1110 of 3574 Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Howdy guys.

My Moxi is dying!!! BOOOOOOO!!!!

Have any of you had the following problem?

My wife went to watch TV today and saw that the display was flickering wildly. There were random numbers displaying. I had her unplug the box and plug it back in. Now nothing. You can see the green power/standby light (it seems faint, but that could just be me), but nothing else displays and no picture on the TV. If I hold reset down for 5 seconds you see the green light for messages lights up really quick and fades, and still nothing. I had her unplug the box for 20 minutes, just in case it was overheating, and I saw several forums where users said that would fix this problem for them.

So anyway, we have a tech coming Thursday to swap out the box and they passed along the "oh we'll try to get you a Moxi box, but we might not have any, so you might get one of the other boxes." UGH! I'm in Kirkwood and Uverse is just down the street. Charter better hope that tech has some working Moxi boxes in that truck. ;-)

Do we know if Steve Trippe and/or Doug Kappauff are still with Charter? Those guys bent over backwards for me last year to swap out my Motorola and get us our old Moxi back. Hoping they can work some more magic for me if you guys don't have any possible fix ideas between now and Thursday.

Take care!
Rob
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page