post #91 of 3587 Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

I have the Moxi. I like it. I archive movies from it @480i to the HDD of my DVD recorder. I would like to archive @1080i by firewire to a windows xp computer. Moxi will not allow this. The firewire port is active but disables when connected to non-5c capable devices. See this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7624697

I read Aspec's post about his success with firewire transfer from his 3416 to pc. What was even more surprising was the lack of 5c encryption flags on the Premium movie channels! The 3416 interests me for this reason.

I think the 5c flag might be system dependant. I have 5c on all the movie channels except Cinemax.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3587 Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalaman View Post

I think the 5c flag might be system dependant. I have 5c on all the movie channels except Cinemax.

What do you mean by "system dependent"? Aspec2 is a Charter subscriber in St. Louis. I am fairly certain its not Charter that sets the flag. See this post here..http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10013334

Its the individual stations..eg. Cinemax. How do you know the flag is set for all channels except Cinemax?

Thanks
post #93 of 3587 Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What do you mean by "system dependent"? Aspec2 is a Charter subscriber in St. Louis. I am fairly certain its not Charter that sets the flag. See this post here..http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10013334

Its the individual stations..eg. Cinemax. How do you know the flag is set for all channels except Cinemax?

Thanks

Charter is broken down into different systems that serve different areas just like a telephone company central office serves a particular geographical area. Different systems have different local access channels that are locally significant, can have different advertising, and have different timetables for rolling out new features.

I live near the Overland and Olivette systems and was told by an installer I'm on the Olivette system.

I know the MSOs often claim it's the programmers that control the flag but I'm skeptical about that because I've seen conflicting 5c reports for the same source material between different operators, and in this case, Walt and I see different conditions within the same provider and service area.

To check the 5c status on the 6200 (and I presume the 3416), you tune to the channel you want to check, power down the box and immediately press select (this accesses the diagnostic menus). Go into menu 'd11 interface status' and under '1394 I/O device' check the number next to '5c implementation'. 0 = in the clear, 1 = allow one generation recording, 2 = allow no recording. Anything other that 0 cannot be recorded to a PC. To check another channel you must exit the diagnostic menu, power the box back on, change to the channel you want to check, then repeat the whole procedure again.

I have the 5c status of all the HD channels as seen on my system listed in post #1 of this thread.

Dave
post #94 of 3587 Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM

is anyone having trouble watching a channels? The only channels I can watch are the movie channels.
post #95 of 3587 Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Charter is broken down into different systems that serve different areas just like a telephone company central office serves a particular geographical area. Different systems have different local access channels that are locally significant, can have different advertising, and have different timetables for rolling out new features.

I live near the Overland and Olivette systems and was told by an installer I'm on the Olivette system.

I know the MSOs often claim it's the programmers that control the flag but I'm skeptical about that because I've seen conflicting 5c reports for the same source material between different operators, and in this case, Walt and I see different conditions within the same provider and service area.

To check the 5c status on the 6200 (and I presume the 3416), you tune to the channel you want to check, power down the box and immediately press select (this accesses the diagnostic menus). Go into menu 'd11 interface status' and under '1394 I/O device' check the number next to '5c implementation'. 0 = in the clear, 1 = allow one generation recording, 2 = allow no recording. Anything other that 0 cannot be recorded to a PC. To check another channel you must exit the diagnostic menu, power the box back on, change to the channel you want to check, then repeat the whole procedure again.

I have the 5c status of all the HD channels as seen on my system listed in post #1 of this thread.

Very interesting! I wonder how to get into the menu of the Moxi to determine this?
post #96 of 3587 Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I went back to the Overland office this morning and, wadda you know, the CSR says they have plenty of 3416s. So I brought in my 6200 and swapped it out.

She also put me on a package deal that will reduce my bill by $20 for the next 6 months with no change in the programming I currently receive. IIRC, the DVR charge is $12, so I have the DVR and am $8/Mo ahead through the fall.

This all happened after I was told on Tuesday they were out of 3416s.

I'd hate to think anyone was being dishonest, but my BS detector was pretty much off the scale when I left there on Tuesday.

The guy in line in front of me that day had a Moxi under his arm. He told the Rep that he had just gotten of the phone with Tech Support who tried everything then told him the Moxi was bad and he should take it to the office to have it swapped out. The Rep says to him "we don't have any Moxis we can give you, we're out of them".

This is where the BS detector first goes off. We know from reports here that Charter is no longer issuing Moxis but are replacing them with 3416s, and the Moxi has never been a self-installable box with Charter. Well, maybe she just doesn't know what she's talking about (wouldn't be the first time). Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (wouldn't be the first time either).

So, as he was walking out the door with his dead Moxi, I told the Rep that I was looking to upgrade my HD box to the 3416 DVR. "I don't know what that is" she replied. I told her it was the non-Moxi DVR. "Oh" she said, "We're out of those too".

Anyway, I obviously wasn't satisfied enough with that experience to avoid stopping by there today to see if anything had changed.

So, wadda you think ?

A) Tuesday's CSR was lying through her teeth 20 minutes before quitting time with a long line in the office to avoid working late.

B) Tuesday's CSR was totally clueless and wouldn't know a 3416 if it bit her in the butt.

C) They really didn't have any 3416s Tuesday and now they do.

Oh, and if the guy who was in the office at 5:40 Tuesday with the dead Moxi is reading, go in and get your replacement Monday (if you haven't cancelled your service already).

Dave
post #97 of 3587 Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I went back to the Overland office this morning and, wadda you know, the CSR says they have plenty of 3416s. So I brought in my 6200 and swapped it out.

She also put me on a package deal that will reduce my bill by $20 for the next 6 months with no change in the programming I currently receive. IIRC, the DVR charge is $12, so I have the DVR and am $8/Mo ahead through the fall.

This all happened after I was told on Tuesday they were out of 3416s.

I'd hate to think anyone was being dishonest, but my BS detector was pretty much off the scale when I left there on Tuesday.

The guy in line in front of me that day had a Moxi under his arm. He told the Rep that he had just gotten of the phone with Tech Support who tried everything then told him the Moxi was bad and he should take it to the office to have it swapped out. The Rep says to him "we don't have any Moxis we can give you, we're out of them".

This is where the BS detector first goes off. We know from reports here that Charter is no longer issuing Moxis but are replacing them with 3416s, and the Moxi has never been a self-installable box with Charter. Well, maybe she just doesn't know what she's talking about (wouldn't be the first time). Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (wouldn't be the first time either).

So, as he was walking out the door with his dead Moxi, I told the Rep that I was looking to upgrade my HD box to the 3416 DVR. "I don't know what that is" she replied. I told her it was the non-Moxi DVR. "Oh" she said, "We're out of those too".

Anyway, I obviously wasn't satisfied enough with that experience to avoid stopping by there today to see if anything had changed.

So, wadda you think ?

A) Tuesday's CSR was lying through her teeth 20 minutes before quitting time with a long line in the office to avoid working late.

B) Tuesday's CSR was totally clueless and wouldn't know a 3416 if it bit her in the butt.

C) They really didn't have any 3416s Tuesday and now they do.

Oh, and if the guy who was in the office at 5:40 Tuesday with the dead Moxi is reading, go in and get your replacement Monday (if you haven't cancelled your service already).

I choose "D" ( A & B )

Report back your impressions of the DVR! Enjoy
post #98 of 3587 Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a strange one...
I had an old Moto DCT2000 connected to my DVD recorder, and pic has been pretty bad. So I took it to the Overland office to swap it for a new model, which is the DCT700, a basic SD box with composite-only outs. Fine, I can't record HD anyway. Got a Moxi for that.
Bring the 700 home, plug it in, reset the Panny DVDR, wonderful. That was Wednesday. Noticed Thursday that some of the channels were missing. Hmm. Looked at the paperwork from the 700, it says to call and have the box authorized. OK, so I do that, have the automated ping sent .... and now I have NO CHANNELS. Spend hours over the next 2 days on the phone with CSRs. No help.
Saturday morning, I go back to Overland and swap out the 700 for another 700. Get home, connect it, life is good. Then, because they told me to -- and because I must be an idiot -- I called to reset the box. Now I'm missing all of the locals and a few others up thru Ch. 26. Above that, everything is fine, including VOD.
CSRs are at a loss. My Moxi is fine, cable out of the wall to a CRT TV is fine, it's just this Moto 700.
So I've got a service call set up for Wednesday.
I'm stumped.
barry
post #99 of 3587 Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post

Here's a strange one...
I had an old Moto DCT2000 connected to my DVD recorder, and pic has been pretty bad. So I took it to the Overland office to swap it for a new model, which is the DCT700, a basic SD box with composite-only outs. Fine, I can't record HD anyway. Got a Moxi for that.
Bring the 700 home, plug it in, reset the Panny DVDR, wonderful. That was Wednesday. Noticed Thursday that some of the channels were missing. Hmm. Looked at the paperwork from the 700, it says to call and have the box authorized. OK, so I do that, have the automated ping sent .... and now I have NO CHANNELS. Spend hours over the next 2 days on the phone with CSRs. No help.
Saturday morning, I go back to Overland and swap out the 700 for another 700. Get home, connect it, life is good. Then, because they told me to -- and because I must be an idiot -- I called to reset the box. Now I'm missing all of the locals and a few others up thru Ch. 26. Above that, everything is fine, including VOD.
CSRs are at a loss. My Moxi is fine, cable out of the wall to a CRT TV is fine, it's just this Moto 700.
So I've got a service call set up for Wednesday.
I'm stumped.
barry

Okay. You've got me stumped also. Quite strange. When you hooked up the second 700 did you have the same problem with missing channels or did everything come in fine before the reset? Let us know what you find out.

Edit-
I just looked at my little digital STB and it is the 700. I remember connecting the box and I had no channels. I then called 1-888 and they enabled the box and everything was fine?!
post #100 of 3587 Old 03-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Okay. You've got me stumped also. Quite strange. When you hooked up the second 700 did you have the same problem with missing channels or did everything come in fine before the reset? Let us know what you find out.

Edit-
I just looked at my little digital STB and it is the 700. I remember connecting the box and I had no channels. I then called 1-888 and they enabled the box and everything was fine?!

Isn't that something! Exactly the opposite of me. I brought the 700 home and connected it, all was fine. Problems came after the reset. And now a reset doesn't solve the missing channels.
barry
post #101 of 3587 Old 03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Isn't that something! Exactly the opposite of me. I brought the 700 home and connected it, all was fine. Problems came after the reset. And now a reset doesn't solve the missing channels.
barry

Let me know what the problem was when you figure it out.
Good luck
post #102 of 3587 Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very interesting! I wonder how to get into the menu of the Moxi to determine this?

Sorry, but the Moxi menu doesn't display 5c flag status.
post #103 of 3587 Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Let me know what the problem was when you figure it out.
Good luck

All of the missing channels were back this morning! I did nothing. The final CSR I talked to the other day might have said they were going to work on it on their end from the local office, but I think I just muttered a yeah right and forgot she said it.
But ...
Guess the cause will remain a mystery.
post #104 of 3587 Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of the missing channels were back this morning! I did nothing. The final CSR I talked to the other day might have said they were going to work on it on their end from the local office, but I think I just muttered a yeah right and forgot she said it.
But ...
Guess the cause will remain a mystery.

Gotta love Charter
post #105 of 3587 Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Gotta love Charter

Shortly after I got home tonight, I got a call from Charter (they called ME!!).
Tech guy apologized, said there was a code entered wrong at the Overland office when I got the first box and that they should have caught it when I swapped it and took the second box Saturday.
(They called ME!!!)
So all is working well now.
(They fixed it and called ME!!!)

barry
post #106 of 3587 Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Shortly after I got home tonight, I got a call from Charter (they called ME!!).
Tech guy apologized, said there was a code entered wrong at the Overland office when I got the first box and that they should have caught it when I swapped it and took the second box Saturday.
(They called ME!!!)
So all is working well now.
(They fixed it and called ME!!!)

barry

Occasionally miracles do happen!
post #107 of 3587 Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

FWIW
I have a Moxi and a bunch of old analog STB's. I traded out the analog boxes for 6200 HD all digital boxes. To my four eyes PQ is very good on all the channels. Much better than the old analog STB's. Even the digital non-HD channels.
post #108 of 3587 Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:

FWIW
I have a Moxi and a bunch of old analog STB's. I traded out the analog boxes for 6200 HD all digital boxes. To my four eyes PQ is very good on all the channels. Much better than the old analog STB's. Even the digital non-HD channels.

This is from Charter?
When I first went in last week to swap out the 2000, I asked about an HD box and got into this whole thing with the CSR. First she said it would cost me 6.95 more, then she said it would cost me 12.95, then it was back to 6.95 if I said it wouldn't be connected to an HDTV. All I really wanted was a box with at least S-vid outs. In the end I just took the SD 700 box with composites.
The picture (now that I have one) is much better than the 2000 but definitely "soft."
barry
post #109 of 3587 Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is from Charter?
When I first went in last week to swap out the 2000, I asked about an HD box and got into this whole thing with the CSR. First she said it would cost me 6.95 more, then she said it would cost me 12.95, then it was back to 6.95 if I said it wouldn't be connected to an HDTV. All I really wanted was a box with at least S-vid outs. In the end I just took the SD 700 box with composites.
The picture (now that I have one) is much better than the 2000 but definitely "soft."
barry

Picked up the boxes at the T&C location. It cost a few dollars more per box per month since they tune HD. It has component, composite and s-video out. Since I already have a Moxi I already have HD so no new charges for that.
post #110 of 3587 Old 03-21-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Picked up the boxes at the T&C location. It cost a few dollars more per box per month since they tune HD. It has component, composite and s-video out. Since I already have a Moxi I already have HD so no new charges for that.

Just looked a pic of the back of that 6200 box. Do the IR, USB and ethernet jacks do anything?
barry
post #111 of 3587 Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Good question. I am not sure. I don't think so. I will give it a try. I like the "VCR timer". I run the component out to a DVDR and set the timer to record an occassional show at 480i.
post #112 of 3587 Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, I take it back...

It was definitely a good idea to start this offshoot STL thread.

:blowing tumbleweed:
post #113 of 3587 Old 03-29-2007, 01:28 PM

I was just watching some of the gof coverage on the Golf Channel and a ticker runs by saying that effective April 4th, Charter may no longer be carrying the Golf Channel. Are you kidding me? This would truly be the last straw for me. Has anyone heard anything about this?
post #114 of 3587 Old 03-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Someone from Atlanta over on the Moxi thread reported that they had a message on their non-DVR HD box from Charter about changes in channel lineups and additional channels (StarzHD, ESPN2HD, ESPNU). This change was supposed to be effective April 2, so maybe its related (i.e. replacing golf channel with ESPNU)?
post #115 of 3587 Old 03-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie11 View Post

I was just watching some of the gof coverage on the Golf Channel and a ticker runs by saying that effective April 4th, Charter may no longer be carrying the Golf Channel. Are you kidding me? This would truly be the last straw for me. Has anyone heard anything about this?

There's a link on the Golf Channel website to email Charter about this. If this actually happens I think Charter is going to lose a 15 year customer. Hello Dish!!
post #116 of 3587 Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post

There's a link on the Golf Channel website to email Charter about this. If this actually happens I think Charter is going to lose a 15 year customer. Hello Dish!!

Comcast owns both The Golf Channel and Versus
Both channels saying they MAY not be available in Charter Lineups 4/4/07.
Interesting this;

Comcast has added a split HDTV channel of Versus and the Golf Channel in select cities in January.

So there maybe a HDTV cost associated somewhere here that is being passed to Cable Operators OR
Maybe a phasing out of the SD golfchannel?

It maybe all resolved even though I did send Emails to Charter using the versus and golfchannel web page links.

Click the link below.
Charter & Comcast Golf Channel and Versus Negotiations

BTW, Charter messages on my "other' non MOXI still call for Lineup changes 4/2/07.

For you MOXI users, I'd like to see a software update with the channel changes but IMHO I think MOST technical expertise
is going into VoIP rollout.

BC
post #117 of 3587 Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The nice thing about the Golf Channel e-mail link is that it imports several people's e-mail addresses at Charter as opposed to just a generic customer service address.

I changed the automated subject heading & inserting my own e-mail message vs. the generic supplied one from the Golf Channel in the hope that they will actually read it. I took the liberty of telling them my frustration with regard to the lack of HD programming specifically mentioning ABC-HD, CBS-HD & ESPN2-HD plus the Golf Channel issue. I threw in the need of the Moxi 4.1 update while I was on a roll.

I encourage others to write in, as well.

www.thegolfchannel.com
post #118 of 3587 Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What does a Moxi update accomplish? Will rebooting my Moxibox accomplish an update?
post #119 of 3587 Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM

I have the Motorola HD reciever from Charter just got it today (hoorah!!!!) do any of u have it hooked up using the HDMI/DVI connector if so how does the PQ look compared to component
post #120 of 3587 Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM

I have one with and without the DVI connection. The adapter from monoprice.com works great .
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page