St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 3591 Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey thanks for the feed back man I just ordered a 10ft HDMI/DVI cable from monoprice.com, I should have gotten a 3ft because I hear the longer the cable the weaker it makes the signal is this true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3591 Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM

My mother keeps trying to tell me that in St. Louis (where she lives) they only have 1 High Definition Station. I looked and they of course have many. But I did see where the Charter subscribers may lose the right to rebroadcast one of the stations and maybe that is what she is hearing.

Does anyone know what my mother may be hearing.

Also I am surprised that I couldn't find a listing of exactly what format stations are broadcasting in (720p, 1080i, SD etc.) Is there a list somewhere?
post #123 of 3591 Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Threads merged.

dlee0708: Assuming the local affiliates aren't converting the national feed, ABC and FOX are 720p - CBS and NBC are 1080i. A complete list of networks/resolutions can be found in this thread from the HDTV Programming forum:

The Official AVS HDTV Programming Synopsis - Winter 2006!

Welcome to the forum.
post #124 of 3591 Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee0708 View Post

My mother keeps trying to tell me that in St. Louis (where she lives) they only have 1 High Definition Station. I looked and they of course have many. But I did see where the Charter subscribers may lose the right to rebroadcast one of the stations and maybe that is what she is hearing.

Does anyone know what my mother may be hearing.

Also I am surprised that I couldn't find a listing of exactly what format stations are broadcasting in (720p, 1080i, SD etc.) Is there a list somewhere?

Charter in St Louis is currently only rebroadcasting the local FOX and NBC digital feeds in St Louis.

A recent carriage dispute with Belo, the owner of the local CBS affiliate (KMOV), and on-going carriage dispute with Sinclair, the owner of the local ABC affiliate (KDNL) is preventing Charter from carrying either CBS or ABC's local digital signals.

Both remain available via OTA.

Additional information can be found here:
(the second link will provide you the St Louis stations broadcasting formats)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10177632
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=74949
post #125 of 3591 Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

Charter in St Louis is currently only rebroadcasting the local FOX and NBC digital feeds in St Louis.

A recent carriage dispute with Belo, the owner of the local CBS affiliate (KMOV), and on-going carriage dispute with Sinclair, the owner of the local ABC affiliate (KDNL) is preventing Charter from carrying either CBS or ABC's local digital signals.

Both remain available via OTA.

Additional information can be found here:
(the second link will provide you the St Louis stations broadcasting formats)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10177632
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=74949

I know a lot of people don't count it since its not quite as major as the others but CW is broadcast as well.. CW, Fox, & NBC are probably my most watched networks so those I would really be upset to loose. CBS I hate being without but I wasn't hooked on any of the shows so I basically have stopped watching CBS.... Now ABC I wish I had, and I do take the time to try to watch those shows live OTA.
(Lost and Desperate Housewives)

-Phatty
post #126 of 3591 Old 04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty View Post

I know a lot of people don't count it since its not quite as major as the others but CW is broadcast as well.. CW, Fox, & NBC are probably my most watched networks so those I would really be upset to loose. CBS I hate being without but I wasn't hooked on any of the shows so I basically have stopped watching CBS.... Now ABC I wish I had, and I do take the time to try to watch those shows live OTA.
(Lost and Desperate Housewives)

-Phatty

Yes, and I believe PBS does some HD also. That's why I provided the OP Doug's links, he's packaged it all nicely

IMO, Lost is lost, and DH renewed until 2012, it should shape up nicely also
post #127 of 3591 Old 04-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdg454 View Post

Yes, and I believe PBS does some HD also. That's why I provided the OP Doug's links, he's packaged it all nicely

IMO, Lost is lost, and DH renewed until 2012, it should shape up nicely also

Yeah I have to admit I am no longer addicted to Lost but its still a show I wouldn't want to miss an episode of and would hate to watch in SD... Desperate housewives is again something I am loosing interest in but I don't bend over as much to watch it in hd.(I just download it in HD)..

Frackin Charter.... wish DirectTV would hurry up and offer the million HD channels they claim they will have by the end of the year and my Company start paying for my Pipeline so I don't have to worry about a no TV fee added to my internet...

Oh and PBS, now thats is a channel I did forget about seeing that I have probably watched a total of 30mins of programming on it in time I have had HD.. Frackin multicasting...
post #128 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Yeah I have to admit I am no longer addicted to Lost but its still a show I wouldn't want to miss an episode of and would hate to watch in SD... Desperate housewives is again something I am loosing interest in but I don't bend over as much to watch it in hd.(I just download it in HD)..

Frackin Charter.... wish DirectTV would hurry up and offer the million HD channels they claim they will have by the end of the year and my Company start paying for my Pipeline so I don't have to worry about a no TV fee added to my internet...

Oh and PBS, now thats is a channel I did forget about seeing that I have probably watched a total of 30mins of programming on it in time I have had HD.. Frackin multicasting...

You might want to check on the standalone pipeline price. I know when I considered moving to E* and called Charter, they quoted me a standalone price that was cheaper than what I was paying bundled.
post #129 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

You might want to check on the standalone pipeline price. I know when I considered moving to E* and called Charter, they quoted me a standalone price that was cheaper than what I was paying bundled.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me with Charter and the million of different promotions they have.... I am not in a hurry to drop Charter for TV just yet because the way it sits now DirectTV is just talk so don't want to jump over based on talk of possible HD channels being added.... Also having new holes drilled in my house isn't exciting so I do know when/if I switch it will be once DirectTV has perfected their 1 cable installation that they are testing currently vs the two cables they are requiring now.

-Phatty
post #130 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Charter is offering the 1 or 2 year contract deals on cable currently? My current one expires this summer and I will be slashing the pay channels if they want me to pay full price.
post #131 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post

Does anyone know if Charter is offering the 1 or 2 year contract deals on cable currently? My current one expires this summer and I will be slashing the pay channels if they want me to pay full price.

You need to call and talk to retention before your deal runs out. They will make you a new one, especially if you start talking about your other options. All the advertised deals you hear on TV are for "new" customers. Doesnt mean you can't get one.

If you don't do this, one of two things will happen:

your bill will suddenly go up as they just charge you un-bundled rates
or
nothing happens as they forgot you were in a deal and just leave you alone. this happens a lot

post #132 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else experienced occasional brief dropouts lately? I have noticed several times over the last week or so that my picture just goes to black for a split-second. This will repeat itself several times. Last night it was happening during Leno & I switched to other channels to make sure it wasn't an NBC thing. It was happening on other channels also & then it stopped.
post #133 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

If I do jump eventually to sat TV, I'll miss PBS HD. I don't watch a lot of it really, but when I do -- Frontline, Nova, Austin City Limits -- it's stunning.

barry
post #134 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Good news here for Charter customers

Sinclair/Charter Deal
post #135 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine5767 View Post

Sinclair/Charter Deal

About time. Good news for you all.

There's Good TV, Better TV and DirecTV, but nothing beats a calibrated TV!!
www.clearlyresolved.com
post #136 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Sinclair/Charter Deal

WOW we get KDNL in HD, booooooooooo

but I guess something is better than nothing
post #137 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Sinclair/Charter Deal

Fantastic news. Anyybody have any clue how long it will take to have ABC-HD officially available to us?

If they can get CBS back in the mix & add ESPN2-HD, they might just keep me around for a while. Oh yeah...and NFL Network & Moxi 4.1...
post #138 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

According to Charter...soon...
post #139 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post

According to Charter...soon...

Although we rarely watch an ABC program, this is great news. At least Charter is moving in the right direction. All the Charter customers on this forum should e-mail Charter tonight, thank them for finally agreeing to carry Sinclair and "encourage" them to act quickly with Belo. (Yes it pains me to thank Charter for anything, but ...)
post #140 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wow !

I hope we don't get hit with a rate increase now

I honestly thought Belo would be back before Sinclair

Dave
post #141 of 3591 Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 PM

I wish it were Belo first as well. But at least the ball is rolling.
post #142 of 3591 Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 AM
oby

Great news, about Sinclair. I was getting closer and closer to buying one of these OTA tuners. I actually went to Circuit City on Brentwood the other day, but they did'nt seem to have any. In fact, the store seemed very un-organized and somewhat depressing. I was just walking up and down the aisles, and nobody even came up to me to ask if I needed help.

Anyway--hopefully Belo (Cbs) will shortly follow. And, hopefully, Charter will not lose the other networks (ksdk/fox), because they are probably thinking, okay--give us some value, too.

Finally, Charter seems to be adding ESPN HD 2 in many markets, so you'd think STL will be on the list. I'd also really like to see STARZ in HD--as that would be a good movie combination, with the the other HD movie channels.

I will say this for Charter--I think their HD quality is very good, and I don't think I have seen or read any complaints about them being "HD lite"--like you see with other providers. I still say, "wow", everytime I turn on Discovery HD.
post #143 of 3591 Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba1972 View Post

I believe they stopped doing contracts.. The didn't do them and used that as marketing against the dish providers, then they did do contracts for a bit.(My signed contracted expired in December). But they are now back to not offering contracts... What they do offer though are promotion pricing that is good for X amount of months leaving you the option to cancel any time you want. The number one thing to do though when negotiating your promo is to make sure they put you on a long term one (I believe 12 is the most) plan so you don't have to negotiate every few months.

And OMFG I can't believe we will actually be getting ABC in HD...... I can't wait to get it and I hope Charter can get the signal put in place fast. I have to say I would have expected CBS to come back before ABC busted its HD cherry on Charter's system. Oh Well, I only watch a few channels on Charter but at least they appeared to have realized that being without 2 of the major networks wasn't a good way of doing business.
-Phatty
post #144 of 3591 Old 04-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oby View Post

I will say this for Charter--I think their HD quality is very good, and I don't think I have seen or read any complaints about them being "HD lite"--like you see with other providers. I still say, "wow", everytime I turn on Discovery HD.

I have had Charter HD for 3+ years now and have rarely had a pic quality issue or service outage-much fewer than what I have seen complaints about on DISH or DirectTV. My only issue has been the few HD channels for the high price. Give me CBS, ESPN2 and one or two more (for no additional cost) and I would be very satisfied to stay with them.
post #145 of 3591 Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I saw a post in the OTA thread reporting KDNL-DT **AND** ESPN2-HD will be online the 19th.

Dave
post #146 of 3591 Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckparr View Post

I have had Charter HD for 3+ years now and have rarely had a pic quality issue or service outage-much fewer than what I have seen complaints about on DISH or DirectTV. My only issue has been the few HD channels for the high price. Give me CBS, ESPN2 and one or two more (for no additional cost) and I would be very satisfied to stay with them.

For the most part I agree -- but I was watching something on PBS-HD today and the pic quality was crap.
post #147 of 3591 Old 04-14-2007, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

For the most part I agree -- but I was watching something on PBS-HD today and the pic quality was crap.

I would blame that on PBS not Charter.....
post #148 of 3591 Old 04-14-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstolze View Post

I would blame that on PBS not Charter.....

Yea, I know, too many sub feeds.
post #149 of 3591 Old 04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalaman View Post

Wow !

I hope we don't get hit with a rate increase now

I suspect its likely
post #150 of 3591 Old 04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalaman View Post

I saw a post in the OTA thread reporting KDNL-DT **AND** ESPN2-HD will be online the 19th.

Nice.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page