Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesrshell View Post

Just checked again and ABC is working now along with all the other HD channels. Does anyone know if the Super Moxi will be coming to Charter? I sure wish I had both of my MOXI boxes back. Its guide never failed me like the 3416 does.

This unit will be retail! It will be competition for the series 3 Tivo. You will rent cable cards from Charter but you will own the STB.

Has yet to be released. Lots more discussion about it over in the Moxi forum. Lots of pro and con feelings abound. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Charter came out two days ago; set me up with 2 HD receivers; the pictures had banding; I didn't pay; I called Charter yesterday to inform them; they are sending a guy tonight. There's the update. Here's the scary part:

They are sending the same guy. Last time he changed out every connection/fitting from my new Samsung 4665F LCD TV to the street. The banding decreased on the local channels and increased on the HD Movie channels. He told me over the phone that his supervisor suggested a few things to try including using different inputs other than the component (!), and switching the cable signal from 1080i to 480p!!!!!!!
He also said that he thought 1080i was only available through HDMI and not possible with component cables. (!!!) I told him that wasn't right. Then he added that his boss suggested lowering the resolution. OOooooh buddy. I'm not so sure I want this guy in my house again.

Can any of you suggest ideas that I may pass along to the cable tech guy this evening?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM

What is banding??

Dish 1000+/Dish 500/SIRIUS Radio/OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4/26 dB PreAmp
119 / 110 / 61.5 / 118.7 / 129
DPP44 / Duo Nodex2 / HWSx4 / Joeyx1
Slingbox 500

Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM

I call banding, horizontal lines that raise slowly across the screen. They are translucent discolorations.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea what exactly are you referring to as "banding?" It WOULD be a good idea to try HDMI just to see if the problem persists ... could be as simple as bad component cables. Sucks they try to tell you bad information though .......
Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 AM

OK, thanks for the info, I have never had that problem before.

Slingbox 500

Old 04-26-2007, 10:21 AM

The standard HD tuner from Charter (that this guy brought) did not have HDMI out.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

I have that problem to a small degree. Interestingly, the problem was really only noticeable when I routed the video thru the receiver (even when the receiver was set as pass thru). I only notice it now in very dark scenes. I know very little about this but have also heard of it in association with "ground loop hum" and my (limited) understanding is that there may be filters to remove this.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

here's a little more info from wikipedia

Quote:

In video, ground loop can be seen as hum bars (bands of slightly different brightness) scrolling vertically up the screen. These are frequently seen with Video projectors where the display device has its case grounded via a 3-prong plug, and the other components have a floating ground connected to the CATV coax. In this case the video cable is grounded at the projector end to the home electrical system, and at the other end to the cable TV's ground, inducing a current through the cable which distorts the picture. As with audio ground loops, this problem can be solved by placing an isolation transformer on the cable-tv coax. Alternatively, one can use a surge protector that includes coax protection. If the cable is routed through the same surge protector as the 3-prong device, both will be regrounded to the surge protector.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:46 PM

What is the best multi-room HD/PVR equipment for a new-to-be Charter customer?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonz View Post

What is the best multi-room HD/PVR equipment for a new-to-be Charter customer?

Far as I know, only option from Charter is the Moxi w/ Moxi Mate, but I don't know if they are still offering the Mates. If you want third party options ... I dunno.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:25 PM

If you have a choice and don't need a huge hard drive go with the MOXI. The 3416 has several issues. At least the three 3416s I have from Charter do. Good Luck.

Slingbox 500

Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

Far as I know, only option from Charter is the Moxi w/ Moxi Mate, but I don't know if they are still offering the Mates. If you want third party options ... I dunno.

Sadly, I haven't heard anyone on any new customers on any Charter system having a Moxi (with or without a Mate) installed recently. If the Mate is unavailable, then as others have said Charter doesn't yet offer any other multiroom DVR systems.

If Charter does let you have a Moxi 9022 w/ Mate please let us know!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

The Moxi Mate is the best thing since sliced bread!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:

If you have a choice and don't need a huge hard drive go with the MOXI. The 3416 has several issues. At least the three 3416s I have from Charter do. Good Luck.

what issues are with the Motorola's I have one and its been flawless so far have, running DVI/HDMI on my Samsung (4051) 40" LCD HDTV
Old 05-01-2007, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before the return of Ch. 30 and the additon of the Deuce, Ch 11 (CW) was totally out of sync and no adjustment helped.

Since Ch 30 and the Deuce, the sync issue on is much much improved, and the Winchester brothers' voices and lip movements are in the same time zone, at least.

But now the CW breaks up every minute or two for seconds at a time. (No other HD channel exhibits this problem.)

I shouldn't be surprised...
Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Charter updated the firmware in my 3416 DVRs today. Firmware version 16.35 and S/W was updated to 74.54. Hopefully they will have everyone done soon and these DVRs start to work better.

Slingbox 500

Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Charter updated the firmware in my 3416 DVRs today. Firmware version 16.35 and S/W was updated to 74.54. Hopefully they will have everyone done soon and these DVRs start to work better.

What kind of changes are there? I've been considering switching out my Moxi for one, as the extra space would be nice and ours is a little unreliable (pixelation on recordings, sound drop-outs). I haven't heard great things about the 3416, so just wondering if this makes them any better.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 AM

I wish I had my MOXI back. The guide on it worked much better that the 3416. I am hopeing the firmgrade update will fix all issues.

Slingbox 500

Old 05-04-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

This was posted over in the main HDTV programming forum - just wanted to make sure ya'll saw it:

--------------------------------------------------------
D-Day For MLB Extra Innings
By Maury Brown bizofbaseball.com Friday, May 4, 2007

Today is the deadline for any carrier that did not already ink a deal for MLB Extra Innings to get an agreement signed, or they will be unable to negotiate for the package until 2013 when DirecTV and iN Demand's deal with MLB expires.

As we've been reporting for sometime on The Biz of Baseball, the biggest players are Cablevision and Charter Communications. Both companies have said that they are working on completing a deal, which is contingent on placing The Baseball Channel on the basic tier when it goes online in 2009. Charter has said that they are very close to reaching a deal, while Cablevision's comments have been more of the "we hope to get a deal done" variety.

As for DISH Network subscribers, chances of a deal being worked out with them are now virtually nil. More than one source has told The Biz of Baseball that no communication between the parties have taken place in weeks, and their website posts a message saying that "an agreement with Major League Baseball regarding the Extra Innings package no longer exists."

So, today is D-Day for those that wish for MLB Extra Innings on one of the smaller carriers that didn't already ink a deal.

Hmmm....
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM

For those of you with the moto 3416 DVR box, do all the buttons on your remote work? For example, the list button on ours does nothing, and the Picture in Picture buttons are also non-functional. Is this normal? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 AM

My list button works but not the PnP.

Slingbox 500

Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 AM
oby

Recently read that down in Texas (Ft. Worth, I think), Charter added a bunch of new HD channels, for them, including Starz HD, TMC HD, Universal HD, and MOJO HD (that is the former InDemand HD Channel-similiar to HD NET, that is owned and operated by several cable companies). Sure hope Charter spreads the joy around to other markets. They also added ESPN U and CSTV to their sports tier (non hd but digital).
Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 PM

When hooking up new TV (Samsung TX3093) the set up menu asks for both digital and analog if the cable company (Charter) is using HRC (harmonically realted carrier) , STD (standard) or IRC (incrementaly related carrier). It appears the TV wants to know before doing an automatic search for channels as part of the set up routine.
Anyone know what Charter is using ?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlcardinalfan View Post

When hooking up new TV (Samsung TX3093) the set up menu asks for both digital and analog if the cable company (Charter) is using HRC (harmonically realted carrier) , STD (standard) or IRC (incrementaly related carrier). It appears the TV wants to know before doing an automatic search for channels as part of the set up routine.
Anyone know what Charter is using ?

Standard has always seemed to work OK for me.

Dave
Old 05-13-2007, 11:52 PM

I got the 3416 last week in exchange for my moximate having a buzzing sound on cheap weather graphics or movie credits. I had no problems with the main moxibox, just the 3rd moximate with the same problem.

This new moto3416 records the same programs that I've already seen and deleted over and over. I changed my options to only record 1 instance of new episodes. the menu system looks like it was made by 4th graders.

I will give it a postive, that it does startup fast from a power outage vs moxi.

I can only find by creating favorite lists can you modify your channel lists.

Anyway I was frustrated by the upgraded system so I tried taking it back 2 days after I received the new system to the same Charter store in Arnold, MO, but they refused to give me my Moxi system back because they would be discontinuing that service shortly anyway.

I read that Digeo was going to release the Moxi to RadioShack in July, but then I read that article on Cnet posted above $1000 for moxi??? gosh it better have all the features unlocked for that price and it better start up quick.

So if your thinking of jumping or upgrading my advice is dont... or unless you want to trade your moxi box with me?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Just to let everyone know. Charter does still offer the Moxi w/ Mate. I just had one installed Monday evening. The rep that I spoke with was a nice lady who took the time to find the code for the mate. I told her that I wanted that setup and she tried finding it and asked me to hold on since she knew that they still had them even though it wasn't in the initial list they are given to build the order. She came back 3 minutes later and said we were a go.

I love having the mate.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:03 AM

WOW, thanks for the info, I just might go back to the MOXI, the 3416 DVR is somthing else, I have never seen so many bugs in it. Does anyone know if Charter is going to go to the TIVO guide instead of the IGUIDE??

Slingbox 500

Old 05-20-2007, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The quality of KPLR HD keeps getting worse.
Thursday night's Supernatural was unwatchable. Audio/video breakup every minute or so.
They're working on this? Really?
I ended up watching it via the web on my laptop. At least the season's over and I'll have no reason to watch KPLR for months.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM

Did anyone else have practically unwatchable audio dropouts and video picelation/breakups during 24 last night on Fox HD? I was watching the recording on my Moxi and if it wasn't for teh fact it was 24 I would have turned it off. Is this my Moxi going dead, or did otehrs have major problems with 24 in HD last night?