St. Louis, MO - Charter - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 3586 Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes 4.1 is out.

All I will say is I am an avid AV guy...been a member of this AVS forum for quite a while.

I bring up these issues to many people here and we are working on the issues everyone cries about.

Just know, your issues are tabled and many have been for years. But things move slow in a cash strapped company, and the lawyers double stamp everything.

Belive me, we do not want to lose a single customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 3586 Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My picture is intermittantly freezing or breaking up, and I lose the audio. Most times it lasts for 5-20 seconds and then resumes. I wonder if the new update could cause this?

I called Charter and was ready for the usual fiasco. I was not disappointed. I spoke with a young lady in the Phillipines and she set up an appointment for
1-3 pm this afternoon. Charter called this morning at 8am and said they would be
there between 8am-12noon. Their communication is so poor so often, that I'm used to it and expect it.

Can anyone suggest the problem? Do I need a new Moxibox? I hate doing that because I lose my recorded programs.
post #243 of 3586 Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

I still have 3.2 in western St. Louis City/Dogtown.

Quote:

MoxiGuy's Guide to How to Tell if You have 4.1
There are lots and lots of clues. Here are just a few.

1. If you see an envelope icon on the screen, then you have 4.1

2. Look at the little card that pops out to the right of the current program card in the guide. If it says, "Coming Up," then you have 4.1.

3. In the guide, press the next button. If the guide shifts forward by 30 minutes, then you have 4.1.

4. Press OK on any program title to bring up the action menu, use the up and down arrows to scroll through the choices. If you see some new ones that you never had before, then you have 4.1: (new choices are "lock" (for parental controls), "see all times" (to find upcoming broadcasts of a given program).

5. Scroll the horizontal menu. If you see a card for "service messages," then you have 4.1

6. In the menu, press and hold an up arrow. If your jaw drops at the speed, then you have 4.1.

7. Go to "find by title" and press OK. If the search widget shows up in less than two seconds, then you have 4.1.

8. Go to "About Moxi." If you see a card for "Storage and Stats" then you have 4.1.

post #244 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockInv View Post

My picture is intermittantly freezing or breaking up, and I lose the audio. Most times it lasts for 5-20 seconds and then resumes. I wonder if the new update could cause this?

Can anyone suggest the problem? Do I need a new Moxibox? I hate doing that because I lose my recorded programs.

You might want to check your signal strength via the Moxi service menu if you have not done so already.

If you are not familiar with AVS member spline's Moxi site, here is the link. Everything you would ever want to know about the moxi:

http://splmoxifaq.googlepages.com/FAQ.htm
post #245 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 AM

When I had the MOXI boxes, had trouble with too strong a signal causing tiling/pixeling, etc. Had to install a couple of spliters to cut the signal strength some. It cleared up the problem.

Dish 1000+/Dish 500/SIRIUS Radio/OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4/26 dB PreAmp
119 / 110 / 61.5 / 118.7 / 129
DPP44 / Duo Nodex2 / HWSx4 / Joeyx1
Slingbox 500

post #246 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebe View Post

I still have 3.2 in western St. Louis City/Dogtown.

4.1 arrived in Glendale this morning. So far, so good - hooked up a 320G external hard drive and reset the Moxi. Upon reboot, it immediately recognized the device and asked if I wanted to format it. Took about 3 or 4 minutes to format, and its good to go!
post #247 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

No 4.1 out in Lake St Louis.
post #248 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaleHDTV View Post

4.1 arrived in Glendale this morning. So far, so good - hooked up a 320G external hard drive and reset the Moxi. Upon reboot, it immediately recognized the device and asked if I wanted to format it. Took about 3 or 4 minutes to format, and its good to go!

No upgrade last night: still 3.2 in Dogtown.
post #249 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 AM

Got 4.1 in Wildwood this morning, very nice
post #250 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post

Got 4.1 in Wildwood this morning, very nice

I have 4.1 in St Charles, MO

Using 500 Gb drive I went from 56% full to 12% Ye ha!!!
post #251 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Still waitin' in Clayton...
post #252 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Got 4.1 in South County
post #253 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM

I have read several threads in here about people asking about the switch from Moxi to the Motorola 3416 w/ TV Guide.

My humble advice to you: DO NOT DO IT!!!

Unless you have some very serious problems or just flat-out don't like your Moxi I would never trade it in for the 3416. I have regretted it since the day I swapped and have tried unsuccessfully to get the Moxi back. My final attempt is to email this St. Louis GM and hope for the best. I had no idea how much I loved the handling and UI of the Moxi until I got this box.

The bottom line is the HDMI and the extra storage is great. However, I would give up both of those to get my old box back. My only complaint ever with the Moxi was limited storage space, and that is fixed with the patch this week. I am a very sad person now that I know they have done this.

Does anyone have any idea why in the h.e. double hockey sticks Charter is looking to replace all the Moxi boxes with the Motorola 3416? The only thing I can possibly think of is something I read about Digeo wanting to sell their boxes retail, much like TiVO. That would make sense, but I would still think they would be on the hook for supporting the already existing boxes. *shrug*

*** EDIT ***
I may have answered my own question here: Digeo vs Gemstar
post #254 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 01:23 PM

4.1 in fenton
post #255 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt_DoUrden View Post

I have read several threads in here about people asking about the switch from Moxi to the Motorola 3416 w/ TV Guide.

Unless you have some very serious problems or just flat-out don't like your Moxi I would never trade it in for the 3416. I have regretted it since the day I swapped and have tried unsuccessfully to get the Moxi back. My final attempt is to email this St. Louis GM and hope for the best. I had no idea how much I loved the handling and UI of the Moxi until I got this box.

The bottom line is the HDMI and the extra storage is great. However, I would give up both of those to get my old box back. My only complaint ever with the Moxi was limited storage space, and that is fixed with the patch this week. I am a very sad person now that I know they have done this.

Does anyone have any idea why in the h.e. double hockey sticks Charter is looking to replace all the Moxi boxes with the Motorola 3416? The only thing I can possibly think of is something I read about Digeo wanting to sell their boxes retail, much like TiVO. That would make sense, but I would still think they would be on the hook for supporting the already existing boxes. *shrug*

*** EDIT ***

From what I gather the reason for the switch (although not the only) is because the Moxi and the Moximate which I have and love are not easy or cheap to set-up correctly and maintain. Apparently the signal has to within very close tololerances for it to work. It took many service calls before mine was working but I am glad I stuck it out.
With the new law about cable cards, etc and the aging of the Moxi's and the simple fact that most people arn't as demanding as me (AND YOU) are and will settle for a cheaper and easier to set-up model is sufficient reason.

Of course, I may be wrong and probably have only scratched the surface but I am sure about one thing and that this is about money.

pwsher
post #256 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 PM

Oh it's most certainly about money, Pwsher, there is no doubt about that. I feel pretty certain that it completely surrounds this lawsuit, too. If you read the actual suit that Gemstar filed against Digeo you will find that Charter is actually mentioned in the suit as a "deployer" of Moxi. I find it entirely too coincidental that Gemstar filed this suit, and then 3 months later Charter is pushing out boxes with the TV Guide technology that is in question here. What a joke.
post #257 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone have any idea why in the h.e. double hockey sticks Charter is looking to replace all the Moxi boxes with the Motorola 3416?

I don't think this is the case. Charter is clearly supporting existing boxes by releasing the 4.1 software. They see value in improving customer satisfaction with current Moxi boxes.

The issue is that there is a shortage of the current generation of Moxi boxes. Because of new FCC regulations, all new cable boxes have to be redesigned so that the security functions are no longer built into the box. One way to do this is with CableCARD.

This regulation has the effect of making an entire generation of cable boxes--from all manufacturers--obsolete. The regulation doesn't require swapping out the old boxes, but it says that new boxes must have the security decoupled.

Looking across the industry, it seems that there are shortages in many cable operators, in many markets, for many DVR models. The transition is not easy to manage.

Digeo has announced a new model of Moxi DVR with cableCARD specifically for sale to cable companies (in addition to the retail boxes you mentioned). The new cableCARD version is planned for later this year.

For the time being, however, customers who give up a Moxi box, may find it difficult to get another.
post #258 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

...I am sure about one thing and that this is about money.

That, too. In the press release announcing the new Moxi box for cable, Digeo said:

"The Moxi HD DVR is a newly designed digital set top box that combines optimized hardware with the latest version of the industry-acclaimed Moxi software, to offer cable service providers nearly twice the storage of the previous Moxi Media Center at more than a third less cost."

post #259 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 PM

As always, thanks for the bonus info, MoxiGuy. You have been a great help in these forums.

I am so angry that I lost my Moxi box that I cannot stand it. The fact that Charter all but refuses to let me swap back is even more infuriating. They won't even let me get on a list to get one. #$&@*$*#$&*@(%@)#%
post #260 of 3586 Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM

This is getting pathetic, how long must we sit here and wait for Charter to release 5.2.....

Just wanted to be the first to complain....4.1 looks great got it tonight.
post #261 of 3586 Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Finally got 4.1 last night. Messed around for a few minutes this morning and really like the improvements.

Next stop: newegg.com for an external drive.
post #262 of 3586 Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:

*** EDIT ***

Have you tried going to your local Charter office for an available Moxi box? Maybe they can reserve a box if they have inventory.
post #263 of 3586 Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM

I just moved and for some reason they picked up my old equipment and replaced my Moxi with a 3416. I HATED the cheap TV Guide based interface and the remote control was terrible. I argued with the lady in the Scott Air Force base office which services Shiloh and Mascoutah, IL and she said they didn't have any more Moxi boxes. I asked the tech that came out how to get a my Moxi back and he said he didn't know. So I finally got a Call from the one of the quality assurance techs checking how my install went and I explained that everything was fine except the new 3416 is poor replacement for the Moxi and I wanted a Moxi back. She placed a "special" order for the Moxi stating that she didn't know if it would work or not and scheduled a tech for the next day. The next day a contractor showed up with a Moxi box and installed it. He was questioning why I wanted the Moxi when the 3416 was so much better. Later he told me they pay them more to install the 3416 then the Moxi!

Bottom line is stay on them about it, the contractors do still have the Moxi's, but the contractor that was installing mine said Charter wanted them all back for "upgrades"
post #264 of 3586 Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 PM

Has anyone on the Overland "hub" gotten 4.1 yet???? Hubby came home today to the Moxi having a spaz attack. But this has happened in the past. The display on the box will just flash rapidly. We rebooted, but no sign of 4.1 =( I'm trying to be patient...but.......its really really hard =)
post #265 of 3586 Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 AM

Well, I got the 4.1 update in St. Charles yesterday morning. Played around with it last night and really love what it does. The menus all look more "crisp" to me. I love the speed upgrades as well.

I have to really give credit to Charter for actually releasing this update to the customers. It seems like this is the first move Charter has made in a long time that was really for the customers. I never thought I'd say this, but thanks Charter!
post #266 of 3586 Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Just as I thought I couldn't wait any longer.....its here in St. Ann!!!! We will spend a bit of time this weekend looking for an external hard drive. So far just the other improvements alone are enough to make us happy!
post #267 of 3586 Old 06-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmrg1 View Post

Has anyone on the Overland "hub" gotten 4.1 yet???? Hubby came home today to the Moxi having a spaz attack. But this has happened in the past. The display on the box will just flash rapidly. We rebooted, but no sign of 4.1 =( I'm trying to be patient...but.......its really really hard =)

Same thing happened to me and at least one other person who posted over on the Moxi thread.
My Moxi froze three times in two days and then voila! 4.1 appeared. It hasn't frozen again since yesterday evening. So it may have something to do with the download process; I think it takes a while to get everything downloaded. I had a bunch of unread messages today relating to the new software that weren't there yesterday after 4.1 appeared.

barry
post #268 of 3586 Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 AM

Got it this morning in Hazelwood. I'm not sure if it sped up the process any, but I did a software update trigger last night. The whole jaw dropping when scrolling thing was right, holy ****. It seems most operations are faster, even deleting things. I can't wait for my 500gig my book western digital drive to get here, I think I'll officially be very, very happy with my moxi box.
post #269 of 3586 Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post

I just moved and for some reason they picked up my old equipment and replaced my Moxi with a 3416. I HATED the cheap TV Guide based interface and the remote control was terrible. I argued with the lady in the Scott Air Force base office which services Shiloh and Mascoutah, IL and she said they didn't have any more Moxi boxes. I asked the tech that came out how to get a my Moxi back and he said he didn't know. So I finally got a Call from the one of the quality assurance techs checking how my install went and I explained that everything was fine except the new 3416 is poor replacement for the Moxi and I wanted a Moxi back. She placed a "special" order for the Moxi stating that she didn't know if it would work or not and scheduled a tech for the next day. The next day a contractor showed up with a Moxi box and installed it. He was questioning why I wanted the Moxi when the 3416 was so much better. Later he told me they pay them more to install the 3416 then the Moxi!

Bottom line is stay on them about it, the contractors do still have the Moxi's, but the contractor that was installing mine said Charter wanted them all back for "upgrades"

Couldn't agree with you more about Moxi over TV Guide. I have been on the phone several times over the last few days feeling out the possibility of swapping. It sounds like my only option would be to disconnect the 3416, bring it into the local office here and all but demand they replace it with a Moxi box. I'm sure what is going to happen is they will tell me (hopefully) they have some, but a tech will have to come out and "install" it. That would be fine with me. I would take just about any answer at this point in order to get my old box back.

My parents, friends, and coworkers have really come out ahead thanks to me being the first one to get this "upgrade" to the 3416 box. Within a week I knew they would not want it, and told everyone of them to hold off until the Moxi was updated, or until they did something to drastically increase the usability of the 3416.
post #270 of 3586 Old 06-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahngarth View Post

Got it this morning in Hazelwood. I'm not sure if it sped up the process any, but I did a software update trigger last night. The whole jaw dropping when scrolling thing was right, holy ****. It seems most operations are faster, even deleting things. I can't wait for my 500gig my book western digital drive to get here, I think I'll officially be very, very happy with my moxi box.

The incredibly small drive on my Moxi was one of the main reasons I was looking to dump Charter. Received the 4.1 update two nights ago (Ellisville), fortunately had a spare WD 500gig My Book lying around. Hooked it up, formatted it and was very happy to see the drop from 48% storage space used down to 4%. I'm loving this!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page