1Likes

post #1 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

This thread is for discussion relating to Charter HD cable reception in the St.Louis metropolitan area.

There are currently three HD receivers provided by Charter for this market: the Moxi, the Motorola 6200,
and most recently, the Motorola 3416. The Moxi and 3416 are DVRs, the 6200 is not.

The 6200 has a working firewire port and a working DVI port.

Some Moxis have firewire ports and some do not. Of the ones that do, they are reported to be active.
The Moxi's DVI port is reported to be active.

The firewire and HDMI ports on the 3416 are active.

Check this thread if you are interested in recording to a PC via firewire with the Motorola units.
It is not currently possible to record to a PC from a Moxi. See this post in the recording thread.

On April 12, 2007, Charter and Sinclair (KDNL ABC) announced a carriage agreement through March 2010.

On December 29, 2008, Charter and Belo (KMOV CBS) announced a carriage agreement. Terms and duration were not disclosed.

Related issues are often discussed on the St. Louis, MO - OTA thread as well.

Dave

Last edited by davesalaman; 09-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 AM

In comparisons with other major metropolitan cities near St. Louis, I would call Charter's HD lineup "meager", not "modest". For example, I think the Indianapolis cableco's have around 20 HD stations with all major networks, while Charter carries only 13, with ABC and CBS being absent.
post #3 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please keep in mind two huge upcoming events that will not be shown in HD if Charter does not resolve its dispute with Belo. Unless you have an antenna, you will not be able to view March Madness and the Masters Golf Tournament in HD. Those two are enough to drive me to satellite. I urge everyone to call Charter and voice your displeasure.
post #4 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesalaman View Post

Fair enough.

Here, for the record, is the local Charter lineup as of today.

770 HDNET
771 HDNTM
773 ESPNHD
775 DISC-HD
777 HBOHD
778 SHOHD
779 MAXHD
781 KPLRDT CW
782 KTVIDT FOX
785 KSDKDT NBC
789 KETCDT PBS
792 FSNMWHD
797 TNTHD
799 MTVHD

One minor addition: Although I've never ordered anything to test this out, I believe Charter channel 791 is reserved for PPV-HD events,
post #5 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailorg View Post

One minor addition: Although I've never ordered anything to test this out, I believe Charter channel 791 is reserved for PPV-HD events,

In three years with Charter HD I don't recall anything being on that channel-or have I just missed it?
post #6 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't give Charter credit for FSMDW due to the fact that it is a test screen 97% if the time.
post #7 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Does anyone else get audio dropouts using Moxi or Moxi-mate....but then you back it up and it is OK?
pwsher
post #8 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckparr View Post

In three years with Charter HD I don't recall anything being on that channel-or have I just missed it?

It was about a year ago I think, There were actual movie listings on the program guide.

The wife was interested in one of them so I went ahead and ordered it but it never started.

Charter CSR told us the listings were there by mistake and there actually wasn't any programming there.

I do recall some Moxi users being able to see movies with no sound around the same time period, IIRC.

Dave
post #9 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:

It was about a year ago I think, There were actual movie listings on the program guide.

The wife was interested in one of them so I went ahead and ordered it but it never started.

Charter CSR told us the listings were there by mistake and there actually wasn't any programming there.

I do recall some Moxi users being able to see movies with no sound around the same time period, IIRC.

Most recently on the channel I've seen listed "NHL Center Ice Hi-Def games" (or something like that, I'm not at home right now to check) although, as I said earlier, I've never ordered any PPV events on the channel.
post #10 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

Does anyone else get audio dropouts using Moxi or Moxi-mate....but then you back it up and it is OK?
pwsher

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but occasionally, for me, multiple channels will just have no sound for an extended period, but a soft reset (holding down the reset button on the front of the main Moxi box) fixes the problem.

I would say that this occurs maybe once a month or less.
post #11 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailorg View Post

Most recently on the channel I've seen listed "NHL Center Ice Hi-Def games" (or something like that, I'm not at home right now to check) although, as I said earlier, I've never ordered any PPV events on the channel.

Hmmm, my 6200 has guide data through 3/2 and right now has off-air clear through for 791. 792 has a Blues game on the 27th according to the guide.

Dave
post #12 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Charter reaches half-million telephone customers
Thursday February 15, 11:12 am ET

Charter Communications Inc. said Thursday that it has reached the 500,000-customer mark for its Charter Telephone service.
The company said the mark was reached primarily over the past year when it undertook an aggressive rollout of its telephone service.

Charter said it has quadrupled the number of Charter Telephone customers since the beginning of 2006. Availability of the service passes more than 6.8 million homes, and Charter said it plans to launch phone service in more markets this year.

The company said Angela McCall of St. Louis signed up as Charter's half-millionth telephone customer. She will be presented Thursday with a high definition television, desktop computer and cordless telephone system, as well as a free year of Charter's three-service bundle (digital video, high-speed Internet access and telephone).

"More than seven out of 10 of our telephone customers subscribe to all three services," Ted Schremp, senior vice president and general manager for Charter Telephone, said in a statement.

St. Louis-based Charter Communications Inc. (Nasdaq: CHTR - News) is the nation's third-largest cable television provider, and also provides digital video programming, high-speed Internet access and telephone service, among other services.

Published February 15, 2007 by the St. Louis Business Journal
post #13 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkb View Post

I wouldn't give Charter credit for FSMDW due to the fact that it is a test screen 97% if the time.

On this one you have to blame fox sports...they don't show the HD programming but maybe once or twice a week. Not sure why they don't upconvert everything else but they don't
post #14 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWSHER View Post

pwsher

Yes, occasionally I see dropouts in audio ranging from 2-5 seconds and then it's right back. Also if I rewind, your right, the sound plays the next time.
post #15 of 3591 Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,

This thread is for discussion relating to Charter Communication reception in the St.Louis metropolitan area.

There are currently three HD receivers provided by Charter for this market; The Moxi, The Motorola 6200, and most recently, the Motorola 3416.

The 6200 has a working firewire port and a working DVI port.

Some Moxi's have firewire ports and some do not. Of the ones that do, they are not believed to be active. The Moxi's DVI port is not active.

The firewire and HDMI ports on the 3416 are believed to be active.

Active firewire ports can be used to record programming to D-VHS recorders, or, directly to a PC by following the instructions posted in this thread. D-VHS recorders can record encrypted or non-encrypted channels. PCs can record non-encrypted channels only (see below).

Charter offers a rather modest HD programming lineup. Absent are HD signals from 2 of the local broadcast stations owned by Sinclair and Belo due to carriage pricing disputes.

Channel . . . . .Firewire 5C encrypted
770 HDNET . . . .Yes
771 HDNTM . . . .Yes
773 ESPNHD . . . Yes
775 DISC-HD . . .No
777 HBOHD . . . .Yes
778 SHOHD . . . .Yes
779 MAXHD . . . .No
781 KPLRDT CW . .No
782 KTVIDT FOX . Yes
785 KSDKDT NBC . Yes
789 KETCDT PBS . No
791 HD-PPV . . . No
792 FSNMWHD . . .No
797 TNTHD . . . .No
799 MTVHD . . . .No

I will be editing this post to add more specifics on the above and expand the content.

Meanwhile, much background can be found by reading our parent thread, St. Louis, MO - HDTV.

Well now. What do you know. A St. Louis, MO., Charter thread! Thats not a bad idea. I knew a guy who tried to launch a local thread and took a pretty good thrashing at the effort. I have developed pretty thick skin.

I am glad to see it up and running afterall. Many thanks to the folks at the parent site--St. Louis, MO - HDTV. If your here you should also be there. Much to be learned from that site. Many knowledgeable posters there. Not sure if this site will have longevity but time will tell. As many have pointed out there are also distinct advantages to a combined site.

Thanks for picking it back up and relaunching the thread Dave!!
post #16 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 AM

charter and belo can both go suck it. i called charter and they couldnt care less. just picked up a HDTV with built in tuner and CBS-HD looks alot better than Charter was ever able to provide!

I swear it was my wife's idea to get a new HDTV!
post #17 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 05:31 AM

Had Charter come out and trade my MOXI and Mate in for the new Motorola 3416? HD DVR yesterday. I had a static noise problem on the MOXI and Mate that became unbearable - sound was perfect through digital audio out but not through RCA connected directly to TV. Already miss the convienence of the Mate and the overall MOXI menus.

Couple of points on the new box based on my limited experience last night:

1. Having trouble deleting channels - can not find a menu to add/delete channels. It has a favorite feauture but I would like to remove channels like 784 that are not available.

2. Picture quality on non-HD channels appears better than MOXI although I am still working through the settings - currently have non-HD 4X3 channels set to be 480P.

3. Movement amoung HD channels was very quick but inabliilty to remove channels caused a swith from 1080 to 480 which increased the time for the channel to appear. Good example is 785 to 784 to 782 - since 784 is off the air the aspect changes and causes a few seconds of black screen before 782 appears.

4. Menus - will take some time to learn the navigation although it seemed that the TV guide features were better. Had some trouble finding programs to set DVR - hopefully I can work through some of this tonight.

5. Power - unlike the MOXI the power is separate for the TV and box - does have a system power off feature that with one press of the button with power off/on all components programed into the remote.

Will report back next week on how it goes this weekend. Considering switching to DISH to get back the Mate features lost. Already realizing how nice it was to be able to access DVR from two different TV's.

Bob
post #18 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd1871 View Post

charter and belo can both go suck it. i called charter and they couldnt care less. just picked up a HDTV with built in tuner and CBS-HD looks alot better than Charter was ever able to provide!

Sad but true! Can you believe how awesome that uncompressed OTA-HD picture appears
post #19 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't know if this was a late addition or not. Just saw this on FOX's site. Tonight's game is in HD

Quote:

The Friday, Feb. 16 Blues game vs. Nashville will be available in HD on Charter channel 792 in St. Louis and DirecTV channel 95.

Dave
post #20 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the new Charter thread!

Scott
post #21 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, my 6200 has guide data through 3/2 and right now has off-air clear through for 791. 792 has a Blues game on the 27th according to the guide.

I believe they show sport package hd games there...mlb extra innings and center ice.
post #22 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I don't know if this was a late addition or not. Just saw this on FOX's site. Tonight's game is in HD

Cooool. Just saw my first Hockey fight in HD!!! Blood looked real. You could even see the missing teeth.
post #23 of 3591 Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM

FWIW.....I just had my 9022 Moxi replaced with the 3416 here in St. Louis. I miss the Moxi interface but it's nice having the 160gb hard drive. I think HD looks just as good and SD might be slightly better. The tech said that as the Moxi boxes are brought in they will not be replaced here. Any exchanges or new boxes will be the 3416.

Scott
post #24 of 3591 Old 02-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

4 quick questions:

Is the moxi the only HD receiver capable of having a "mate"?

How much is charter charging to switch out boxes?

Is anyone using HDMI with the newer receivers?

Has anyone heard of wait times on the new receivers?
post #25 of 3591 Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxi View Post

4 quick questions:

Is the moxi the only HD receiver capable of having a "mate"?

How much is charter charging to switch out boxes?

Is anyone using HDMI with the newer receivers?

Has anyone heard of wait times on the new receivers?

I can only definitively answer the first question. The Moxi 9022 is the only Charter box with multi-room support, however no more of those seem to be available.
post #26 of 3591 Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 PM

For thos Charter subs that still have the Moxi, the waited 4.1 update should happen no later than the middle of march here in St Louis.

the main thing from this upgrade is the ability to hook up an external hard drive via usb 2.0 ports on the back of your DVR.

Also there will be a slow mo cability coming with this update.

Wolverine
post #27 of 3591 Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 PM

For those of you with the 3416 DVR box, do all the buttons on your remote work? Seems like a bunch of ours don't do anything. Thanks!
post #28 of 3591 Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine5767 View Post

For thos Charter subs that still have the Moxi, the waited 4.1 update should happen no later than the middle of march here in St Louis.

the main thing from this upgrade is the ability to hook up an external hard drive via usb 2.0 ports on the back of your DVR.

Also there will be a slow mo cability coming with this update.

Wolverine

This is great news. Who is your source of information and what is the level of reliability? Thanks
post #29 of 3591 Old 02-18-2007, 09:55 AM

Slightly off topic.
Anyone know what the upload speeds are for Charter's 5MB & 10MB plans are? I can find nothing on their website with the uploads. I need more upstream for hosting internet gaming.
post #30 of 3591 Old 02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Sad but true! Can you believe how awesome that uncompressed OTA-HD picture appears

Are we talking about the same station KMOV that has killed their PQ with the subchannel inclusion?

It has looked terrible since they added the subchannel with an overly soft image and substantial macroblocking.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page