AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

OK, then. Good reason.

That DTV Pal DVR still doesn't sound very reliable to me, though. I don't know if that's ever going to get there. Even if they do get the bugs out, people are reporting getting dead units. I know I don't have any confidence in it yet.

Yeah there's also the fact that it doesn't do name-based recording - only time-based. Ugh!

I'll most likely pick up the USB tuner and give it a try this summer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 12088 Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Everything on there now looks dull, soft and fuzzy. I don't even watch the channel at all anymore since this.

I used to at least watch Kimmel at night, but even that looks like complete s***.

You're in a location to be able to grab WISN in that case, aren't you?

Between the two markets, you can mostly avoid subchannels.

ABC - WISN (no subs)
CBS - WBBM (no subs)
CW - WVTV (no subs)
FOX - doesn't matter (no subs on either affiliate)
NBC - WTMJ (only the weather sub, no Universal Sports)
PBS - WMVS (no subs)
post #4923 of 12088 Old 04-28-2009, 09:18 PM

Liked: 10
Wow, I just got my first look at 7.2. I can't believe that any engineer would look at that picture and call it HD and expect anyone to want to watch it.
They were showing the promo for Chopper 7 HD. It states "clearer picture". Yeah right.

Such a shame. WLS has been such a leader when it comes to HD. The first station to have local news in HD, produce local programs in HD (like 190N), and air syndicated programming in HD. Now they are the leader in making HD look terrible.

I just hope Channel 2 doesn't add any subchannels. Their newscasts are outstanding. I think I read last week that their news ratings are improving. If I was in their marketing department, I would capitalize on this. "Other stations starve their HD channel with meaningless programming, but we give you the clearest picture in Chicago. This isn't your father's Channel 2. CBS 2 - HD"
post #4924 of 12088 Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Expect WFLD FOX Chicago to broadcast their News In HD within 2-3weeks

AVS Forum Fold@Home Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #4925 of 12088 Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod View Post

Something interferes with it - I forget what. I can get it on occasion, later at night.

But I can get WTVO-DT from Rockford 24/7, at about 95% signal strength.

I'd have to replace my amp and my rotor in order to get Milwaukee, as they both went out late last fall. I've just had the outdoor antenna pointed at Chicago all winter. I have an indoor antenna A/B'd on my main set that's pointed at Rockford and gets me WTVO-DT (ABC), WIFR-DT (CBS) and WQRF-DT (FOX).

I will definitely replace the amp, but I may not even bother with the rotor, as I'm tired of messing with it.
post #4926 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod View Post

Between the two markets, you can mostly avoid subchannels.

ABC - WISN (no subs)
CBS - WBBM (no subs)
CW - WVTV (no subs)
FOX - doesn't matter (no subs on either affiliate)
NBC - WTMJ (only the weather sub, no Universal Sports)
PBS - WMVS (no subs)

I wish I could get WISN, but I can't thanks to WEDE on RF34! Same thing goes for WCGV because of W25DW.... Funny, the other Milwaukee stations come in just fine.
post #4927 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbm View Post

I just hope Channel 2 doesn't add any subchannels. Their newscasts are outstanding. I think I read last week that their news ratings are improving. If I was in their marketing department, I would capitalize on this. "Other stations starve their HD channel with meaningless programming, but we give you the clearest picture in Chicago. This isn't your father's Channel 2. CBS 2 - HD"

CBS O&O's have been banned from adding subchannels due to "quality issues". They want every bit going to the primary channel. They want quality over quantity, and their president has bluntly said so.

Gilbert
post #4928 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will definitely replace the amp, but I may not even bother with the rotor, as I'm tired of messing with it.

How about getting a heavy duty bell rotor used for amateur radio beams. It should be able to handle any tv antenna array and last.

Mad Scientist :)
post #4929 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

CBS O&O's have been banned from adding subchannels due to "quality issues". They want every bit going to the primary channel. They want quality over quantity, and their president has bluntly said so.

I hope that don't change. Once WBBM gets on 12 they will have the power to really be a digital HD leader. After so many years of poor reception in analog and digital... It's about time

post #4930 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvropro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

I hope that don't change. Once WBBM gets on 12 they will have the power to really be a digital HD leader.

I wouldn't be shocked if CBS stations throttle down HD bandwidth to implement "ATSC-M/H", which would simulcast a center-cut version of CBS programming, to mobile audiences. Too much money to gain from it. If done right, 16.1 Mbps of space would still be available for HD video throughput. More info here.

EDIT: Doesn't a WBBM engineer read this thread? Though football season is over, perhaps ATSC-M/H conditions could be simulated with a motion-heavy show, say, The Unit from 9-10 PM on Sundays. I know that WBBM uses Harris NetVX equipment, which can be programmed to allocate bitrates differently at different times, down to the day and hour. Perhaps he could temporarily program the NetVX to top out at ~16.1 Mbps for The Unit's time period, then alert this thread to watch and see how things look.
post #4931 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Mobile DTV is widescreen I believe, so I doubt they'd center cut it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4932 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, I just got my first look at 7.2. I can't believe that any engineer would look at that picture and call it HD and expect anyone to want to watch it.
They were showing the promo for Chopper 7 HD. It states "clearer picture". Yeah right.

Such a shame. WLS has been such a leader when it comes to HD. The first station to have local news in HD, produce local programs in HD (like 190N), and air syndicated programming in HD. Now they are the leader in making HD look terrible.

I checked out 7.2 last night. OMG! This is really nasty!
I know that sometimes people rant about PQ that is only slightly less than perfect, but this is not even close to SD.

My bigger concern is how soft 7.1 is now.

I sent a message via the link posted earlier in this thread, and got the same canned reply.
post #4933 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Liked: 12
I am certainly not the most discerning viewer when it comes to picture quality, but what ABC 7 has done to their main channel is a huge disappointment. I remember when their news first went HD. It looked incredible. Now everything just looks dull and lifeless. NBC 5 now looks much better than 7. WLS has completely eliminated the advantage they gained when they updated their news production to HD. I appreciate additional choices, but why even bother with HD when it looks like this. I'll be watching the news on 5 until they fix it.
post #4934 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Even though I'm new to the boards, I have lurked in the past around these boards and the info has been pretty helpful from different threads I've went into on AVS here!

I noticed tonight when I was watching Me-TV, that the guide seemed to be incorrect. In the guide it said "Perry Mason", but instead "I Love Lucy" was being shown. Then the following program said "The Untouchables", but "The Cosby Show" was airing instead. I thought (from my times lurking before) I recalled a poster who helps out at WCIU, so I figured someone would like to know this.
post #4935 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM

stwhoges, thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will be read.

And welcome to the funny pages.
post #4936 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post

I know that sometimes people rant about PQ that is only slightly less than perfect...

I've never seen a complaint or rant here from anyone that's been watching these broadcasts on anything larger than a 27" screen that wasn't completely justifiable.
post #4937 of 12088 Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veets View Post

I am certainly not the most discerning viewer when it comes to picture quality, but what ABC 7 has done to their main channel is a huge disappointment. I remember when their news first went HD. It looked incredible. Now everything just looks dull and lifeless. NBC 5 now looks much better than 7. WLS has completely eliminated the advantage they gained when they updated their news production to HD. I appreciate additional choices, but why even bother with HD when it looks like this. I'll be watching the news on 5 until they fix it.

I made a prediction and told my friends about it that when they were done butchering HD we would probably have the same quality picture we had with analog SD. I think it may turn out worse though now.

They made SD digital look so crappy on the pizza dish systems and cable that people are glad to get a picture that looks like the old SD OTA minus the snow and ghosts, but now full of macroblocking and mosquito noise. (Enter HD lite)

post #4938 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwhoges View Post

Even though I'm new to the boards, I have lurked in the past around these boards and the info has been pretty helpful from different threads I've went into on AVS here!

I noticed tonight when I was watching Me-TV, that the guide seemed to be incorrect. In the guide it said "Perry Mason", but instead "I Love Lucy" was being shown. Then the following program said "The Untouchables", but "The Cosby Show" was airing instead. I thought (from my times lurking before) I recalled a poster who helps out at WCIU, so I figured someone would like to know this.

Welcome Stwhoges,
I will check it out when I get in.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #4939 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwhoges View Post

It's correct now. Sometimes the Guide data needs a good kick in the pants.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #4940 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakers12 View Post

stwhoges, thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will be read.

And welcome to the funny pages.

Thank you for the welcome bakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Welcome Stwhoges,
I will check it out when I get in.

Thanks for the welcome too, hvs10trk!

Quote:

LOL, a bit of a pain in the tuchas, eh?

And thanks for the fix! Seems the fix tossed "The Untouchables" right at the noon slot (when it's supposed to be on, with this new Me-TV schedule), instead of always seeing in the guide "Charlie's Angels" , back in the day when that was associated with the old Me-TV schedule.

I'll be curious if the Me-Too guide stays right during this whole upcoming month of marathons. The guide data has a lot of shows to be ready for.
post #4941 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Can you kick the guide data for 48-1? I haven't been seeing any data for it.
Thanks
post #4942 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

I still have yet to hear back from WLS, It seems like they dont give a crap anymore about the viewer. Thats obvious from the sub par youtube HD video on 7.2.
post #4943 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you kick the guide data for 48-1? I haven't been seeing any data for it.
Thanks

It's ok that I can see.

post #4944 of 12088 Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having some real issues with ABC (7-1) giving huge random blocks of digital noise every few minutes. Only about 7.5 miles from the Sears Tower. Signal strength is 80 or better. Occasionally see it on NBC (5-1) as well, but it's really obnoxious on ABC.

Antenna is a Radio Shack "UFO". No discernible reduction in this strange digital blocking by adjusting gain, location, or "channel" on it.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
post #4945 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ting-jobs.html

WBBM-TV eliminating jobs; Joanie Lum, Bill Zwecker, Howard Sudberry among those cut

AVS Forum Fold@Home Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #4946 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 View Post

I still have yet to hear back from WLS, It seems like they dont give a crap anymore about the viewer. Thats obvious from the sub par youtube HD video on 7.2.

If you hear back you'll probably get a canned reply like "Were sorry for the inconvenience, were working on it" Sure!

post #4947 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_fun85 View Post

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...ting-jobs.html

WBBM-TV eliminating jobs; Joanie Lum, Bill Zwecker, Howard Sudberry among those cut

One anchor on the 6 and 10pm news? Seems like a lame stunt that doesn't work too well when tried. WBBM needs to keep up with the investigative reporting on the usual crooks and promote that in prime time to get the ratings. They are good at that. I get the sense more and more that channel 7 and 5 are go along to get along newscasts. With the exception of the WLS-iteam segments, of course.
post #4948 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post

I'm having some real issues with ABC (7-1) giving huge random blocks of digital noise every few minutes. Only about 7.5 miles from the Sears Tower. Signal strength is 80 or better. Occasionally see it on NBC (5-1) as well, but it's really obnoxious on ABC.

Antenna is a Radio Shack "UFO". No discernible reduction in this strange digital blocking by adjusting gain, location, or "channel" on it.

It's a problem with WLS, not you at all. They have recently reduced "bitrate" on the ABC HD feed, to allow a second HD feed to occupy the 19.4 Mbps (megabits per second) of bitrate WLS can use. The problem is, only one HD feed can occupy a digital TV station, without causing the problems you notice. For additional evidence, just watch a few minutes of the feed on 7-2.

This same problem also occurs at a Philadelphia, PA station that is, like WLS, owned by ABC. A screenshot of a user with the same problem can be seen in this post.

NBC channel 5-1 has low-bitrate issues too, since that station airs too many feeds in their 19.4 Mbps feed, in addition to their HD channel. Since they don't have a second HD channel, their problem is smaller than WLS.
post #4949 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 PM

I'm trying to publicize this issue as widely as possible.

It is also being discussed here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r222...y-went-to-crap .

I will be adding some info on my OTA DTV site, as well.

Regards,

Randy
post #4950 of 12088 Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post

At 7.5 miles you really should be using an un-amped antenna. What could be causing your issues is overload.

I'm not positive, but I think that antenna still amps some even when it's turned down all the way, and if you turn the amp completely off, it might not even work at all.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page