Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 12184 Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That makes sense cause even the picture with black bars looked pretty ****** come to think of it. The stations HD equipment must be down.

Dangit FOX, get this fixed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 12184 Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

That makes sense cause even the picture with black bars looked pretty ****** come to think of it. The stations HD equipment must be down.

Dangit FOX, get this fixed!!!

I don't know anybody at FOX anymore, or otherwise I would inquire. I can tell you that being out in DeKalb, I can get the low-powered-but-still-HD station in Rockford...and they had no problems with their HD feed when I saw it near the end of the race. I saw the black bars on WFLD, and thought "Uh oh...major malfunction!". The FOX splicer is completely automatic and controlled by the network, but it does that for ALL FOX affiliates, which means it was definitely a local problem.

Gilbert
post #63 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

I don't know anybody at FOX anymore, or otherwise I would inquire. I can tell you that being out in DeKalb, I can get the low-powered-but-still-HD station in Rockford...and they had no problems with their HD feed when I saw it near the end of the race. I saw the black bars on WFLD, and thought "Uh oh...major malfunction!". The FOX splicer is completely automatic and controlled by the network, but it does that for ALL FOX affiliates, which means it was definitely a local problem.

The Better get this fixed before 24 Starts Tonight!!!!
post #64 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

WMVT-DT 36.1 (35) out of Milwaukee just downrezzed down to 720p. Looks like they're gonna throw subs on that one, too. The Milwaukee HDTV board is not happy about that one. The only pure PBS 1080i HD is now from South Bend, IN, on 34.1 (rf 35) with one sub...but it looks great. Both PBS stations are difficult to get because of WWTO-TV analog 35 in LaSalle, and especially WNIT-DT, which is only at 50 kw.

Proof of concept:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/...ead.php?t=6886

I await the barrage of anger from the Crystal Lake area posters.

NOOOOOOO! Say it aint so!

Any one buying an HD TV today will never know what HD is truly like. Only those early adaptors who bought tvs years ago will remember the crystal clear, razor sharp pictures, of those early demo tapes shown on PBS.

The beancounters have won.... I surrender...

dickm
(already missing his favorite station.)
post #65 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzelkid View Post

Do you know that for a fact or is that just conjecture? Milwaukee already has PBS channel 10 broadcasting 7 subs on it. It would be a shame if they started messin' with PBS 36 now....

Well, there's no other reason why they would. PBS HD is 1080i. And, PBS just launched "V-Me", and I betcha they don't want to add another sub to WMVS...it would make all their 10-X channels look really soft. I'm taking a guess here, but I bet we see V-Me on 35-2. Funny thing is, with variable rate encoding, they could put that on 35-2 with no major problem and keep 35-1 at 1080i. Adding an eighth sub would more than likely push the picture quality "over the edge" and make all their 10-X channels look bad.

You know, this wouldn't be horrible if they had 11-1 on Comcast/WOW/RCN uncompressed via a fiber link. OETA in Oklahoma does this in Oklahoma City with their PBS HD feed. WOW does fiber for all analog and digital reception; I wonder if they and the others could get the raw feed from the control room before passing it along to the encoder...

Gilbert
post #66 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

You know, this wouldn't be horrible if they had 11-1 on Comcast/WOW/RCN uncompressed via a fiber link.

PBS 36 is on our Charter cable in clear QAM but it's also grouped with WMLW(SD), WDJT(HD) and WISN(HD)...talk about compressed....

There are 10 types of people who understand binary - those that do... and those that don't.
post #67 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

I'd like to check out specific shows on 11-1 which some of you have complaints about. I suspect most of the issues are source related. But then, I didn't have HD equipment in the glorious old days of only 11-1 (at 1080i) and 11-2.

When I got my first digital TV, I didn't have any HD programming at all (was buying with the thought of future use). As I climbed into the attic as part of my re-wiring project for the satellite, I discovered a large VHF/UHF combo antenna there, suspended by a few bits of string. I added an extra RG6 feed to the clump of cables I was feeding down to the basement, then connected one of them to the antenna at one end and fed the other end up to the family room behind the TV. I figured that if I could get free HD programming, then great; if not, I was only out a few bucks for the additional cabling.

By the time I finished fishing all my wires and getting everything hooked up, it was after 10 pm. I did a quick scan and locked all sorts of stuff, but nothing was in HD...until I hit 11-1.

11-1 was stunning. I sat in front of the TV, staring (and, if my wife is to be believed, drooling a bit). I don't remember what it was, but it was positively gorgeous.

The difference between then and now is immediately obvious to my eyes.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #68 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Is Anyone getting Audio Dropouts on Chicago HD Stations? I have Comcast, but im trying to find out if this is comcast or the Chicago Stations Themselves??
post #69 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM

sebenste: in Oak Park, is there any hope of being able to receive WDJT or WIFR Thursday night? any signal will do (HD, Digital or analog). I don't know frequencies or strengths but they will have my beloved Spartans as their March Madness game (WBBM will too but I could be a victim of a live cutaway from the game) where the other 2 stations are locked for MSU-Marquette
post #70 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
WDJT - probably not. Maybe if you were in a more northern suburb.

But WIFR?....No way. Even people MUCH, much further out have trouble getting them because of the interference from analog channel 41 (WOCH-LP). Plus, they're way too low-powered anyway.
post #71 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine782 View Post

Is Anyone getting Audio Dropouts on Chicago HD Stations? I have Comcast, but im trying to find out if this is comcast or the Chicago Stations Themselves??

Anyone??
post #72 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

WDJT - probably not. Maybe if you were in a more northern suburb.

But WIFR?....No way. Even people MUCH, much further out have trouble getting them because of the interference from analog channel 41 (WOCH-LP). Plus, they're way too low-powered anyway.

Ramm's right. Unless I point my antenna at WIFR-DT, I can't get it reliably. And WIFR analog gets interfered with by WWME in Chicago, even here in DeKalb.

WDJT...too far away. If you are within 30 miles of the Loop (air miles), you can't reliably get any other market (unless you are way up on a high-rise, perhaps, over 20 stories).

Sorry.

Gilbert
post #73 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Chicago OTA all locals solid 38 miles from transmiters...

OK, I'M BACK
post #74 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My signal meter on 39-1 is nearly pegged with my ChannelMaster 4228 pointing towards Chicago. Sometime tonight, Rockford's FOX affiliate, WQRF-DT (42, resolves to 39-1) apparently went full power at 900 kw. Theoretically, much of Kane and McHenry counties should get this. Those of you in DuPage and Lake counties, try to DX this station! Actually, western Lake county has a shot, since the directional antenna is beamed most directly due east.

Gilbert
post #75 of 12184 Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Comin' in like gangbusters here!
post #76 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine782 View Post

If you're getting them on ALL stations, it's more likely your equipment than anything else. But in any case...I occasionally get a dropout on WFLD-DT or WLS-DT, but other than that, no.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #77 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:

My signal meter on 39-1 is nearly pegged with my ChannelMaster 4228 pointing towards Chicago. Sometime tonight, Rockford's FOX affiliate, WQRF-DT (42, resolves to 39-1) apparently went full power at 900 kw. Theoretically, much of Kane and McHenry counties should get this. Those of you in DuPage and Lake counties, try to DX this station! Actually, western Lake county has a shot, since the directional antenna is beamed most directly due east.

Gilbert, I am in Walworth, WI just north of Harvard, IL . I also have CM 4228 w/CM 7777 indoor 2nd floor 15 ft off from the ground with clear view to the south and I did have it pointed towards Chicago and also pointed to Madison and it locked WQRF good. That good now I have 2 Fox channel to choose from.

-Willie
post #78 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 AM

Gilbert,

Do you know anybody over at WLS. I notice last night and still at this time, the channel/ guide the clock time is correct, but the programing is an hour behind. WLS is showing the news at 10 am when it should been 11 am today. The same thing happeing with Fox 32.

Thanks in advance.

-Willie
post #79 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Comin' in like gangbusters here!

I concur!!!

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #80 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieAntenna View Post

Gilbert,

Do you know anybody over at WLS. I notice last night and still at this time, the channel/ guide the clock time is correct, but the programing is an hour behind. WLS is showing the news at 10 am when it should been 11 am today. The same thing happeing with Fox 32.

Thanks in advance.

-Willie

Same thing here with all the channels. TVGOS has the right time in the guide, but when you tune to the channel, the channel banner has the wrong time with no program listed.
post #81 of 12184 Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Time issue: I saw something like this with my Samsung H260F tuner. Time was one hour off until I changed the Samsung to Daylight Savings ON.
post #82 of 12184 Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Not anywhere near as bad as my SD E* channels, of course - NOTHING is THAT bad

Actually yes there is: Ramapo Cable in Schaumburg. We found the only apartment complex in NW burbs that does not have Comcast. Instead we get a 3rd party Directv thing. Imagine a hotel TV environment severely compressed after being sent through 2 or 3 satellites and then having to be split dozens of times to separate buildings.

Do you remember that giddy feeling you got when you first saw HD? I get that giddy right now when I pop in a DVD and see 480p.

My only consolation is my indoor antenna does get WLS-HD and WMAQ-HD. If I move it from its present position, I can get WGN-HD and WFLD-HD.

tim
post #83 of 12184 Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Tonight (3/14) WTTWD 11-1 is scheduled to show "The Magic Flute" from the Metropolitan Opera. It's a very visually interesting show with the production by Julie Taymor (of Lion King fame). Lots of good music too! If you happen to check it out, I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the quality of the show.
post #84 of 12184 Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Is WTTW (or any channel in the Chicago area) still sending a time signal for use by VCR's and similar? I get my signals through Comcast, and had to set my VCR manually after the DST change (it's mainly just for backup and as a clock.) I set it to scan, and it eventually set itself to some bizarre time. When I tried the same thing at my parents house, that VCR set itself to channel 75, which is the Travel channel, and the time was also way off.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #85 of 12184 Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Is WTTW (or any channel in the Chicago area) still sending a time signal for use by VCR's and similar?

I believe their analog 11 still sends time signals. I used to pick it up on Comcast off channel 94, but I disconnected my antenna a while ago and haven't checked since the new year started.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #86 of 12184 Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm trying to find someone in the Bartlett/Elgin area to install an antenna. I will most likely have to purchase it from them also. I'm looking at the Winegard 7084.

Can anyone recommend someone in my area that will do a proper installation (grounding, wiring, etc.) of said antenna? We do get very high winds out here.

I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!
post #87 of 12184 Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

I believe their analog 11 still sends time signals. I used to pick it up on Comcast off channel 94, but I disconnected my antenna a while ago and haven't checked since the new year started.

We've toyed with that idea on 26 as a techy thing.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #88 of 12184 Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Is WTTW (or any channel in the Chicago area) still sending a time signal for use by VCR's and similar? I get my signals through Comcast, and had to set my VCR manually after the DST change (it's mainly just for backup and as a clock.) I set it to scan, and it eventually set itself to some bizarre time. When I tried the same thing at my parents house, that VCR set itself to channel 75, which is the Travel channel, and the time was also way off.

I also tried the auto time scan on my JVC VCR using my antenna. It did not pick up any data. It has always worked in the past.
post #89 of 12184 Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Could it be a daylight savings time issue? Since it started three weeks early this year, maybe something is broken?
post #90 of 12184 Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought "The Magic Flute" looked and sounded great on 11-1 last night. I thought it was better on my home system than when shown live at the movie theaters. (I saw it on 12/30/06 at the Cinemark in Woodridge.)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page