Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #10951 of 12144 Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
25.2 is back, this time with a bug that seems to read "Tellos Digital Television" with two L's in "Tellos."  The PSIP name is Telos with one L.  I don't know whether it's the channel whose home page is http://www.telostv.com or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 12144 Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in the Chicago area (Hinsdale) at these coordinates which are slightly Southwest of the city: 41.822022, -87.920108

The dwelling is an apartment building 20 stories tall.

My apartment is 15 stories up on the West side of the building, the exact opposite direction as the towers in Downtown Chicago.

I can only have an indoor antenna. Any suggestions (other than move)?

I asked Solid Signal this question several times and never got a reply. Is this too difficult to do?

Thanks!

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #10953 of 12144 Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post

I live in the Chicago area (Hinsdale) at these coordinates which are slightly Southwest of the city: 41.822022, -87.920108

The dwelling is an apartment building 20 stories tall.

My apartment is 15 stories up on the West side of the building, the exact opposite direction as the towers in Downtown Chicago.

I can only have an indoor antenna. Any suggestions (other than move)?

I asked Solid Signal this question several times and never got a reply. Is this too difficult to do?

Thanks!

I think you can do well with the Winegard Sharpshooter SS-3000:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEMQ8wIwAQ#

It's more expensive, but over at TvTechnology, Doug Lung, a very well respected engineer, gives this one a thumbs up. The 100' height above terrain will give you the signal strength.

Gilbert
post #10954 of 12144 Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

I used to work at that facility in Rolling Meadows. It was a receive site back the MediaOne/ATT days. I believe it's still a backup site. There are OTA receive antennas at the top but those are a back up as well. There was typically 1 tuned antenna per channel they were picking up. That was a nicely setup facility back in the day.

Heh. Going off topic for a second, Comcast disconnected all the cables from the antennas at the DeKalb/Sycamore head end...the tower is only used for cell phones now. They got rid of all their receivers on top of that, and even worse, we're one of only two Comcast headends in the country that doesn't have redundancy.

This spring, Comcast will put in fiber from Rockford to DeKalb to complete the ring from Chicago to Rockford to DeKalb (right now we just get 1 fiber link from near Downer's Grove to St. Charles to us, and when that got sliced by a construction worker last year, we had nothing, nada, no phone, Internet or cable out here for 23 hours). Then we'll also be able to get the Rockford stations in HD, instead of a standard def, low bandwidth feed we have now.

To me, it's just silly they wouldn't use one antenna and keep their receivers as a backup. Heck, D* and E* still use OTA as primary or backup, right?
rkolsen likes this.

Gilbert
post #10955 of 12144 Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Heh. Going off topic for a second, Comcast disconnected all the cables from the antennas at the DeKalb/Sycamore head end...the tower is only used for cell phones now. They got rid of all their receivers on top of that, and even worse, we're one of only two Comcast headends in the country that doesn't have redundancy.

This spring, Comcast will put in fiber from Rockford to DeKalb to complete the ring from Chicago to Rockford to DeKalb (right now we just get 1 fiber link from near Downer's Grove to St. Charles to us, and when that got sliced by a construction worker last year, we had nothing, nada, no phone, Internet or cable out here for 23 hours). Then we'll also be able to get the Rockford stations in HD, instead of a standard def, low bandwidth feed we have now.

To me, it's just silly they wouldn't use one antenna and keep their receivers as a backup. Heck, D* and E* still use OTA as primary or backup, right?

Everyone is generally fed fiber and OTA is their backup. They probably have a master site for OTA reception. E* is the only one we don't feed via Fiber.
rkolsen likes this.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #10956 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if this is coming to Fox 32.

-from northpine.com
NATIONAL:
News Corporation, owner of FOX, has announced plans to launch a national spanish-language broadcast network called MundoFOX this fall with stated plans to reach 75 percent of the U.S. at launch. There are numerous other spanish-language networks, but few have the backing of a major company like News Corp. or such wide distribution. Affiliates have not yet been announced. News Corp's owned-and-operated stations include KMSP/FOX 9 and WFTC/My 29 in Minneapolis. (1/24/2012)
post #10957 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

-from northpine.com
NATIONAL:
News Corporation, owner of FOX, has announced plans to launch a national spanish-language broadcast network called MundoFOX this fall with stated plans to reach 75 percent of the U.S. at launch. There are numerous other spanish-language networks, but few have the backing of a major company like News Corp. or such wide distribution. Affiliates have not yet been announced. News Corp's owned-and-operated stations include KMSP/FOX 9 and WFTC/My 29 in Minneapolis. (1/24/2012)

I would hope 50.2 instead. We'll see.

Gilbert
post #10958 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post

Quote:

Why would 50.2 be preferable to 32.2?  Other than "I'd rather see the station that I watch less be the one to sacrifice the bits for a subchannel," I can't see any reason for a viewer to consider one better than the other.
post #10959 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Why would 50.2 be preferable to 32.2?  Other than "I'd rather see the station that I watch less be the one to sacrifice the bits for a subchannel," I can't see any reason for a viewer to consider one better than the other.

Possibly viewers watching NFL on FOX 32 would appreciate not having artifacts introduced by a dot2 while viewers of Law and Order reruns on 50 could tolerate artifacts from a dot2.
post #10960 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

Possibly viewers watching NFL on FOX 32 would appreciate not having artifacts introduced by a dot2 while viewers of Law and Order reruns on 50 could tolerate artifacts from a dot2.

George and Dattier have it, exactly. And given MNTV (owned by Fox) is on 50.1, and has scripted programming (usually slow scene changes rather than fast-action sports), it would make perfect sense to put it there.

Gilbert
post #10961 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

FOX uses a technology called a splicer that has fixed bandwidth for HD and a subchannel. The bandwidth is already carved up. I note the sub will have to be SD though
post #10962 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky snooper View Post

FOX uses a technology called a splicer that has fixed bandwidth for HD and a subchannel. The bandwidth is already carved up. I note the sub will have to be SD though

Yep, the NFL will look the same as it does now even if they add a sub.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #10963 of 12144 Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having an ear close to the situation, both channels are getting a sub, different services! That's all I can say..... and it isn't official. Cough cough! :-)
post #10964 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky snooper View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 View Post

Having an ear close to the situation, both channels are getting a sub, different services! That's all I can say..... and it isn't official. Cough cough! :-)

If Snooper and Bob are right, and if the technology to which Snooper refers is on use on WPWR as well as WFLD, then it doesn't matter whether MundoFOX turns up on 32.2 or 50.2.
rkolsen likes this.
post #10965 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If Snooper and Bob are right, and if the technology to which Snooper refers is on use on WPWR as well as WFLD, then it doesn't matter whether MundoFOX turns up on 32.2 or 50.2.

It does matter, because if one is broadcasting in HD, it would have to go to 50.2. You can at least do widescreen on WPWR's equipment, I'm guessing, much like 5.2 does.

Gilbert
post #10966 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

They have different equipment?  OK, thanks for explaining that.  I'm surprised, especially that the better equipment would be at WPWR rather than WFLD.

Even so, will MundoFOX be in HD anyway?
post #10967 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does matter, because if one is broadcasting in HD, it would have to go to 50.2. You can at least do widescreen on WPWR's equipment, I'm guessing, much like 5.2 does.

You can technically do two 720P channels in one spot, look at WLS.

Quote:

They have different equipment?* OK, thanks for explaining that.* I'm surprised, especially that the better equipment would be at WPWR rather than WFLD.

Even so, will MundoFOX be in HD anyway?

Same equipment, different racks! LOL Your probably seeing a bit rate difference.

Back into silence mode! Speculate away!
post #10968 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM

FOX probably has what it takes (out of the rest of the OTA networks, ignoring Telemundo/NBC) to launch a Spanish network. It's already got soccer contracts for its cable outlets, for one, and MyNetworkTV scored well initially in Hispanic markets with its telenovelas. But I hope they managed to learn some lessons from the MyNetworkTV failure, both about competing with yourself and about ambition/Murphy's Law. I remember that MyNetworkTV was intended to be profitable from day one (and it was on course to, until the actors unionized).

Of course, competing with yourself may not be as big of an issue here as it was with MNTV. If two markets are mutually exclusive (like men's razors vs women's razors), you don't really need to worry too much about self-cannibalization. So, how separate are the two markets? A majority of English speakers in the US probably do not know Spanish well enough to follow Spanish TV, but I suspect that a larger percentage (maybe even a majority) of the Spanish speakers in the US know enough English to follow English TV. But I don't know enough about the TV watching habits of people (of either language) who watch Spanish TV to be able to conclusively state that.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
post #10969 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

RIP: Don Cornelius (1936-2012).
post #10970 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM

dtt-901 sees no psip for 23.x , 26.x and 48.x

can some one pusha button please?

kd9fz
comments, criticisms and questions of sanity are most welcome
post #10971 of 12144 Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

RIP: Don Cornelius (1936-2012).

Started out Soul Train on WCIU-TV! And, he did double duty at the time, doing "Black's View Of The News"...

http://fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-3191

Just below the camera was a speakerphone, and a microphone!

And then it got moved to WGN, and the rest was history.

Gilbert
post #10972 of 12144 Old 02-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd9fz View Post

dtt-901 sees no psip for 23.x , 26.x and 48.x

can some one pusha button please?

kd9fz
comments, criticisms and questions of sanity are most welcome

9 am and the psip for 23.x, 26.x, and 48.x are back

thank you

kd9fz
post #10973 of 12144 Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 PM

WPVN 24 has been down all day.

On my roof: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/8800.gif
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

KC9ZOU

post #10974 of 12144 Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post

WPVN 24 has been down all day.

They must have been testing the Trump Tower location recently. I had been picking up the station with the antenna pointing tward the city. Now I have to point it back to Schaumburg to get a signal.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

KC9ZOU

post #10975 of 12144 Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post

[WPVN] must have been testing the Trump Tower location recently. I had been picking up the station with the antenna pointing tward the city. Now I have to point it back to Schaumburg to get a signal.

I doubt that that's the reason.  If they were broadcasting from Trump Tower, surely I'd get them here with our antenna pointing from the Northwest Side toward the old stick site at the Prudential Building, which does fine with stations atop Willis Tower or the Hancock Center.  But I haven't been able to pull WPVN in for weeks.

Meanwhile, W25DW, WOCK, and (even though I'm north of Dakin Street) WCHU have been coming in more reliably than before.
post #10976 of 12144 Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 PM

I doubt mundoFOX will succeed if they fill their programming with unnecessary racial stereotypes and portrayals like they're currently doing with the animation domination, its almost unbearable to watch because of it.

Anyway is anyone having problems with WGN today? Just completely lost reception on it (and in a weird way) its usually the strongest signal here, everything else I normally get with the terk HDTVi is still coming in.
post #10977 of 12144 Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post

Anyway is anyone having problems with WGN today? Just completely lost reception on it (and in a weird way) its usually the strongest signal here, everything else I normally get with the terk HDTVi is still coming in.

Bulls game is on atm.

KC9ZOU

post #10978 of 12144 Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I doubt mundoFOX will succeed if they fill their programming with unnecessary racial stereotypes and portrayals like they're currently doing with the animation domination, its almost unbearable to watch because of it.

WGN coming in clear for me
post #10979 of 12144 Old 02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having three Seth MacFarlane productions will do that.
post #10980 of 12144 Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongyfungy View Post

WGN coming in clear for me

It'll come in clear and then go right back out, weird
Quote:

Having three Seth MacFarlane productions will do that.

I really think he has a problem with race or something, what is the point in having persistent racial stereotypes and portrayals across all shows and in every single episode and its not just those shows even napoleon dynamite has them.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page