Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 369 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 367  368  369 370  371  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Chicago, IL - OTA
Lord_Zath's Avatar Lord_Zath 10:54 AM 03-29-2012
Thanks, dave. This is the first time in two years that I've had this problem, which is why I'm so surprised. I would've expected this to be an issue two years ago when I put everything together to start with!

SycamoreSeej's Avatar SycamoreSeej 05:29 PM 03-29-2012
You're better off trying to get WIFR out of Rockford than try to get WBBM.
Lord_Zath's Avatar Lord_Zath 07:20 PM 03-29-2012
I suppose, though isn't WBBM's bitrate better? We can also get Milwaukee CBS no problem, but it doesn't seem as crisp as WBBM...
cgmv123's Avatar cgmv123 08:23 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

I suppose, though isn't WBBM's bitrate better? We can also get Milwaukee CBS no problem, but it doesn't seem as crisp as WBBM...

There's no comparison. WBBM is almost double the bitrate. Their encoders are supposed to be really good as well.
Bink's Avatar Bink 09:26 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Given that WDJT is running 3 subchannels and WBBM only has the primary, of course WBBM has better overall PQ.
dave73's Avatar dave73 02:00 AM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post

There's no comparison. WBBM is almost double the bitrate. Their encoders are supposed to be really good as well.

Bink already mentioned that WDJT is running 3 subchannels, while WBBM-TV (and all CBS O&O stations) don't run any subchannels. While they're not running any subchannels, it won't matter about what encoders they're using, because the picture will still look good for CBS O&O stations like WBBM-TV. Weigel Broadcasting insists on running more subchannels than the main channel can handle for HD. WCIU is an example where running 4 subchannels don't always look good for their picture quality (worse when running HD programming on the main channel). At least WCIU is 720p, while WDJT is 1080i. Weigel could move either This TV or WMLW-LD simulcast on WBME (WBME only runs 480i multicasts), just so some of the bandwidth could be used for the main channels.
Wade Crowley's Avatar Wade Crowley 04:29 PM 03-30-2012
Will it ever happen? Last I heard it was scheduled for january,I live near Burbank and received the channel only once during a band opening.
Rammitinski's Avatar Rammitinski 11:10 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

...while WBBM-TV (and all CBS O&O stations) don't run any subchannels.

You do know that at least one is on the way soon, though, right?
alnielsen's Avatar alnielsen 02:10 AM 03-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Crowley View Post

Will it ever happen? Last I heard it was scheduled for january,I live near Burbank and received the channel only once during a band opening.

I don't know for sure, but I got the signal once while my antenna was headed east. This normally doesn't happen. I have to have the antenna in the NNW to N direction to receive it.
Were they running a test at that time and ran into troubles?
Mike_TV's Avatar Mike_TV 08:04 AM 04-01-2012
Anyone know what happened to WTTW 11.1 last night (3/31/12) around 8:30 PM? I was showing that it wasn't broadcasting. No signal from any of my tuners.

It's working this morning. Just curious.
shanks909's Avatar shanks909 10:00 AM 04-01-2012
Still not working here using Dish Network 622 receiver OTA. Did a rescan, and the WTTW signals now map to channel 47. Not working on my el-cheapo Olevia tv either.
dicko2's Avatar dicko2 01:37 PM 04-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_TV View Post

Anyone know what happened to WTTW 11.1 last night (3/31/12) around 8:30 PM? I was showing that it wasn't broadcasting. No signal from any of my tuners.

It's working this morning. Just curious.

WTTW is still dead here. I use Media Center, MCE, and it's very touchy with regards to PSIP info. It appears that WTTW did some work last night and goofed up their PSIP. BTW, I noticed it at around 5:30pm.

Now I'll admit I dont know beans about PSIP tables, but TSReaderlite shows no VCT info being transmitted.

How do you get hold of the engineering dept? Their website is extremely unhelpful with regards to contacting the station.
GeorgeY's Avatar GeorgeY 02:15 PM 04-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicko2 View Post

WTTW is still dead here. I use Media Center, MCE, and it's very touchy with regards to PSIP info. It appears that WTTW did some work last night and goofed up their PSIP. BTW, I noticed it at around 5:30pm.

Now I'll admit I dont know beans about PSIP tables, but TSReaderlite shows no VCT info being transmitted.

How do you get hold of the engineering dept? Their website is extremely unhelpful with regards to contacting the station.

There's no way to contact them via telephone on the weekends. I tried, but wound up going over to the station since I only live two blocks away. The weekend receptionist said they hadn't been receiving calls. I replied that's because there's no way to get through to anyone.

I spoke to the on-duty operations engineer and they were completely unaware of the problem. He showed me the screen they use to monitor the over-the-air broadcasts and it was showing the programming just fine. He insisted that since that receiver hadn't been reset there wasn't a problem.

I re-explained that both my receivers were showing their signals now mapped to channels 47-3 through 47-6, rather than 11-1 through 11-4. He said that he would "pass that along". I'm not terribly optimistic that they'll do anything to check into this until tomorrow, when people are able to get through with complaints to their customer service people.
Mike_TV's Avatar Mike_TV 02:32 PM 04-01-2012
Thanks for checking that out. It was working this morning when I posted my original message and checking now again, it's not working.
dattier's Avatar dattier 03:04 PM 04-01-2012
I'm getting WTTW-HD on 11.1, but 11.2, .3, and .4 are just not there.
SycamoreSeej's Avatar SycamoreSeej 03:39 PM 04-01-2012
Wow, i thought WTTW's mapping problem was due to my dying-a-slow-death converter box.

Anybody notice MeTV's audio went Dalek-y for a bit last night during Svengoolie and the commercials? That was weird, even for me.
sebenste's Avatar sebenste 04:45 PM 04-01-2012
Showing 47.4, .5, .6 and .7 for me on my Zenith DTT-900 converter box. Something has definitely gone south with their PSIP.
OT7's Avatar OT7 04:56 PM 04-01-2012
I'm getting WTTW-HD on 47.1 47.2 47.3 47.4 no 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4.
dattier's Avatar dattier 06:14 PM 04-01-2012
A few minutes after posting before I tried two other tuners, and both of them got all four channels of WTTW at their PSIPped virtual locations, so it seems to vary from tuner to tuner.  The tuner where I could get only 11.1 then still gets only 11.1; the subchannels are absent, not even to be found unmapped at 47.x.
Wade Crowley's Avatar Wade Crowley 11:55 PM 04-01-2012
I caught them once during a rescan while there was a band opening
last fall and only once since then.
right now metoo on 48-1 varies between 0 and 80% in the space
of a few minutes. its been like that all day. dtv is disappointing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post

I don't know for sure, but I got the signal once while my antenna was headed east. This normally doesn't happen. I have to have the antenna in the NNW to N direction to receive it.
Were they running a test at that time and ran into troubles?

SycamoreSeej's Avatar SycamoreSeej 01:38 PM 04-02-2012
WTTW is back at 11.x, at least at my house as of 11am today.
sebenste's Avatar sebenste 07:33 AM 04-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

WTTW is back at 11.x, at least at my house as of 11am today.

Yep, looks like they fixed it Monday morning.
Tom Bley's Avatar Tom Bley 09:20 AM 04-04-2012
Question for anyone who might know. I have two t.v.'s both Sony. One set in the greatroom and the other 25ft. away in my bedroom. When I watch channel 50.1 WPWR on the set in the greatroom it's just fine. I go to my bedroom to continue to watch and it's some spanish programming and yes, it's channel 50.1 but, not WPWR. Anyone know why this is happening? The tuner on the bedroom tv not as good?
dave73's Avatar dave73 09:40 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Question for anyone who might know. I have two t.v.'s both Sony. One set in the greatroom and the other 25ft. away in my bedroom. When I watch channel 50.1 WPWR on the set in the greatroom it's just fine. I go to my bedroom to continue to watch and it's some spanish programming and yes, it's channel 50.1 but, not WPWR. Anyone know why this is happening? The tuner on the bedroom tv not as good?

Your other TV is tuning into WXFT, which is on RF 50, while WPWR-TV is on RF 51. Somehow, the tuner isn't getting the PSIP info from RF 51, & instead is getting RF 50 instead. Other than rescanning, I don't know if you can enter the RF channel on that TV. Some TV's won't let you enter the RF channel (my Haier 7" portable TV is like that). You can try entering 51.3 (51-3 for TV's & DTV boxes using a "-"), & see if you get WPWR-TV that way. That's the physical channel for WPWR-TV. If it works that way, then your TV tuner can tune into channels via RF channel. Otherwise, you'll need to do a rescan.
Tom Bley's Avatar Tom Bley 11:27 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

Your other TV is tuning into WXFT, which is on RF 50, while WPWR-TV is on RF 51. Somehow, the tuner isn't getting the PSIP info from RF 51, & instead is getting RF 50 instead. Other than rescanning, I don't know if you can enter the RF channel on that TV. Some TV's won't let you enter the RF channel (my Haier 7" portable TV is like that). You can try entering 51.3 (51-3 for TV's & DTV boxes using a "-"), & see if you get WPWR-TV that way. That's the physical channel for WPWR-TV. If it works that way, then your TV tuner can tune into channels via RF channel. Otherwise, you'll need to do a rescan.

Thanks Dave, I'll try a rescan. I know for a fact that I've had WPWR on my set in the bedroom before.
jerryknite's Avatar jerryknite 04:08 PM 04-04-2012
I'm in Evanston. Have a Zenith DTT-901 Converter Box and am still getting Channel "11" on the 47's. Any suggestions? I've done EZ-Add and it did not pick it up.
jerryknite's Avatar jerryknite 07:10 PM 04-04-2012
Ooops, sorry. I have the Insignia "cousin" to the Zenith DTT 901.
hvs10trk's Avatar hvs10trk 04:15 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryknite View Post

Ooops, sorry. I have the Insignia "cousin" to the Zenith DTT 901.

They're almost exactly the same box, just different names.
Tigerriot's Avatar Tigerriot 09:10 AM 04-19-2012
I'm looking into dropping Directv, and going antenna.

I live in the Elgin area. I've got one indoor powered antenna I bought about 5 years ago, and I set it up last night to see what we'd have available. It picked up 5,7, 9, 11, 32, and 50 very well.

Just curious about channel 2. WBBM. I know it's the most difficult to pick up, but I was wondering if short of an outdoor antenna it's going to be impossible for me to get?

CBS is very important to me because of the NFL games in the fall.
ADTech's Avatar ADTech 09:52 AM 04-19-2012
WBBM is the only VHF-only major station in Chicago. Select an indoor antenna with rabbit ears to try out.
First ... 367  368  369 370  371  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop