Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 12219 Old 03-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just a fantasy that I might be able to receive CBS (WBBM) HD with an indoor antenna? I have the TERK HDTVi which picks up everything but 2-1. I thought I would be close enough to the tower living in zip code 60302. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12219 Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by larceny View Post

Is it just a fantasy that I might be able to receive CBS (WBBM) HD with an indoor antenna? I have the TERK HDTVi which picks up everything but 2-1. I thought I would be close enough to the tower living in zip code 60302. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Hi Larceny,

Welcome to the board!

The Terk HDTVi has the potential to do it. But, you will have to move the antenna around to see if you can get it. It's not a good VHF antenna, especially for channels 2-6. How does the analog come in, can you try WBBM channel 2 analog to see what kind of signal quality you are getting from that? If it has interference, you might even have anotherwise decent picture, but the interference will kill reception. If it's snowy, you'd need an amplifier to boost the signal some.

Gilbert
post #93 of 12219 Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Thank you very much for your welcome and quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

The Terk HDTVi has the potential to do it. But, you will have to move the antenna around to see if you can get it.

I have put it everywhere and get nothing but a black screen 100% of the time (for CBS). The signal strength for WBBM CBS HD tops out at 41 no matter what I do. The signal strength for all other HD stations is between 95-100. Any use in trying a different HDTV antenna?

Quote:

How does the analog come in, can you try WBBM channel 2 analog to see what kind of signal quality you are getting from that? If it has interference, you might even have anotherwise decent picture, but the interference will kill reception. If it's snowy, you'd need an amplifier to boost the signal some.

I would classify the CBS analog signal quality as 'good'. But this goes for all channels, as I do not see much of a difference in signal across all other analog channels. I would definitely not classify it as snowy, it just appears that it needs some fine tuning.
post #94 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for your welcome and quick reply!

I have put it everywhere and get nothing but a black screen 100% of the time (for CBS). The signal strength for WBBM CBS HD tops out at 41 no matter what I do. The signal strength for all other HD stations is between 95-100. Any use in trying a different HDTV antenna?

I would classify the CBS analog signal quality as 'good'. But this goes for all channels, as I do not see much of a difference in signal across all other analog channels. I would definitely not classify it as snowy, it just appears that it needs some fine tuning.

Hi Larceny,

That antenna's VHF antenna rods aren't long enough to really capture WBBM.
Believe it or not, for you, a $10 unamplified "rabbit ears" with a circular "loop" UHF antenna would be a better choice! Your UHF station signal strength numbers may shrink some, but you should still be OK...and you'd have a realistic shot of getting WBBM.

As a matter of fact, I am going to update my WBBM rant to include that...if you are within 20 miles, that may work well for people with an unobstructed view to Hancock.

Gilbert
post #95 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

sebenste,

I was checking out the Longley-Rice maps you had for the Chicago area stations, and I was wondering where the guy you got them from, got them? Does that makes sense? lol. I find those maps with the color indicating Grade A, B signal coverage are pretty accurate, much accurate than the FCC maps on fcc.gov. Where would I find these maps for other stations in the country? Or would I have to pay an outragous amount to access them? I noticed the Splat! program, but I don't have Linux. Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I really like the way you have the new Chicago thread organized.... I wonder if the moderators would allow me to add an index to the first page of the Shreveport board? I really think every local thread should have an index similar to the one you've created.

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #96 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, for you, a $10 unamplified "rabbit ears" with a circular "loop" UHF antenna would be a better choice! Your UHF station signal strength numbers may shrink some, but you should still be OK...and you'd have a realistic shot of getting WBBM.

Well, I gave it a shot. I have now tried four different models and ALL max out with a 41 signal strength for WBBM CBS Chicago. I guess I'll just have to live without CBS HD until UHF comes to reality. Thank you for your ideas.
post #97 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I guess I'll just have to live without CBS HD until UHF comes to reality.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but if you're referring to where WBBM-DTs digital assignment will finally end up when all is said and done, it's set to be on hi-VHF channel 11. But hi-VHF should still be easier to receive than lo-VHF.
post #98 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but if you're referring to where WBBM-DTs digital assignment will finally end up when all is said and done, it's set to be on hi-VHF channel 11. But hi-VHF should still be easier to receive than lo-VHF.

Ramm's I hope you are wrong But I am hopeing that in the very last special FCC round that WBBM will be allowed to pick again. Because WMSN-47 Madison is now on DT-11 and few other station to southeast of Chicago and along with WBBM going to DT in 2009 will cause problems, as it is trouble for me which I already with WMTV-15 out of Madison and WGN-9 Chicago which both transimit on 19-DT and WGN canel out WMTV and I am closer to WMTV-15 I do have better LOS to WGN.

It would be nice to get rid of VHF TV station and big wide 110" antenna and just go with a good UHF antenna. Rockford WQRF-39 DT is sure nice now with boosted power and with that I have 2 choice of Fox channel as I only have C/M 4228 antenna right now.

-Willie
post #99 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, WQRF-DT is now as equally receivable as WTVO-DT is for me. I can get both regularly without even having to point my antenna directly at them. It was pretty cool last night when I was pointed at Milwaukee and receiving a bunch of their channels (36-1 too, which is still unsullied!), and at the same time receiving the aforementioned ones (and 17-2) from Rockford, and STILL receiving ALL of the Chicago channels!! Even WJYS-DT!

And this was nothing unusual for me on a typical night . (At least until it warms up - I don't receive the Milwaukee ones then as well with the antenna I've currently got up - plus, there are trees in that direction.)
post #100 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAR2002 View Post

sebenste,

I was checking out the Longley-Rice maps you had for the Chicago area stations, and I was wondering where the guy you got them from, got them? Does that makes sense? lol. I find those maps with the color indicating Grade A, B signal coverage are pretty accurate, much accurate than the FCC maps on fcc.gov. Where would I find these maps for other stations in the country? Or would I have to pay an outragous amount to access them? I noticed the Splat! program, but I don't have Linux. Any info would be appreciated.

Also, I really like the way you have the new Chicago thread organized.... I wonder if the moderators would allow me to add an index to the first page of the Shreveport board? I really think every local thread should have an index similar to the one you've created.

I got them from a Chicago engineer willing to do it. You'd have to talk to a local engineer in your market to see if he would do the same thing. No Linux, no Splat!, unfortunately.

As for the organization, it is the goal of AVSForum to do what has been done to this thread. Send a private message (PM) to Cpanther95, and he can tell you what you or someone else needs to do. If you're interested, volunteer! It doesn't take much time to do, as long as you don't have a VHF signal on channels 2-6.

Gilbert
post #101 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I gave it a shot. I have now tried four different models and ALL max out with a 41 signal strength for WBBM CBS Chicago. I guess I'll just have to live without CBS HD until UHF comes to reality. Thank you for your ideas.

Hi Larceny,

Well, as it is, WBBM-DT is slated to go to channel 11 in 2009, so you're out of luck.
Now, given that you have a low signal strength, a preamplifier may help you, but then it would possibly overload the other channels. Try a Winegard AP-2870, such as this:

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/ap2870.htm

Ask to make sure you can return it if it doesn't work out. Get that 41 level signal, and then try that. This amp also has some overload protection, so see what happens. Also, do you have an attic you can put a larger antenna in?

Gilbert
post #102 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah, WQRF-DT is now as equally receivable as WTVO-DT is for me. I can get both regularly without even having to point my antenna directly at them. It was pretty cool last night when I was pointed at Milwaukee and receiving a bunch of their channels (36-1 too, which is still unsullied!), and at the same time receiving the aforementioned ones (and 17-2) from Rockford, and STILL receiving ALL of the Chicago channels!! Even WJYS-DT!

And this was nothing unusual for me on a typical night . (At least until it warms up - I don't receive the Milwaukee ones then as well with the antenna I've currently got up - plus, there are trees in that direction.)

I know in the past you have tried different antennas. What antenna do use now or set up. ?

I got my 4228 w/CM 7777 indoor facing the south in the clear off the second floor apartment, I can get Chicago, Madison and Rockford but not Milwaukee unless I drag it to the bedroom by the east window. Next month I will be moving and I will have a clear to the west but no windows to north, east or south so I think I will loose the Chicago I might gain Milwaukee not sure yet, but now that WQRF is at full power I should still get it. I do have a attic access I might sneak the antenna up there and use my homemade DB-2 antenna on the bacloney to the west.

-Willie
post #103 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rooftop:
Radio Shack U-75R (got it really cheap) w/CM7777 pre-amp, and

Indoors:
Radio Shack 15-1880 (both going into RS remote controlled A/B switch). I've also got a Silver Sensor that gets UHF equally as well, but I use the RS's VHF rabbit-ears to get 11 analog, for my TVGOS.

I usually keep the indoor one pointed at Chicago, since those are the strongest and easiest to get, and the outside one I point whichever way the reception is best. Year-round, I get CBS most reliably from WIFR-DT, so it's most often pointed towards Rockford. But on good nights I'll occasionally point it toward Milwaukee.

I plan on getting a good, full-range outdoor one up when the weather gets good, but this setup has been more than adequate for this winter.
post #104 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Well, I was hoping to be able to report that WQRF-DT was making it's way to the Aurora area. After all I've been able to pick up the analog version even with the little DB2 that I had.

This means reaiming my PR4400 towards Rockford. Sadly I carelessly bent the reflector element in the process. I tried to straighten it out, but I just can make it right again.

Sorry to say I don't think I'm going to replace it. Comcast was out today and I think I'm done with messing with OTA. It's been fun, but it's just too hard when you don't have room for a properly mounted antenna.
post #105 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdomini View Post

Well, I was hoping to be able to report that WQRF-DT was making it's way to the Aurora area. After all I've been able to pick up the analog version even with the little DB2 that I had.

This means reaiming my PR4400 towards Rockford. Sadly I carelessly bent the reflector element in the process. I tried to straighten it out, but I just can make it right again.

Sorry to say I don't think I'm going to replace it. Comcast was out today and I think I'm done with messing with OTA. It's been fun, but it's just too hard when you don't have room for a properly mounted antenna.

If it isn't perfectly straight, that's OK...it should work well if it is reasonably or fairly close. Give it a shot and see what happens. And remember...keep it as a backup. You never know when Comcast will go out.

Gilbert
post #106 of 12219 Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 PM

I did try it before I gave up. Looks reasonably straight, but trying it with pulling in a weak station it seems to have lost some gain. For now it's hanging on a hook in the garage. I still have the Stealthtenna hanging in the same closet that I was using for FM hooked up. Actually works reasonably well, I was able to pick up everything out of Chicago with it. Probably wouldnt be stable in bad weather, but it's good enough as a backup antenna.
post #107 of 12219 Old 03-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got them from a Chicago engineer willing to do it. You'd have to talk to a local engineer in your market to see if he would do the same thing. No Linux, no Splat!, unfortunately.

As for the organization, it is the goal of AVSForum to do what has been done to this thread. Send a private message (PM) to Cpanther95, and he can tell you what you or someone else needs to do. If you're interested, volunteer! It doesn't take much time to do, as long as you don't have a VHF signal on channels 2-6.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to PM him tomorrow. While the Shreveport/Monroe thread doesn't get NEARLY as many visitors as the Chicago thread, I still think it's a good idea to keep it organized. I feel I'm very knowledgable, but I would have never acquired my knowledge if it had not have been for AVS.. Heck, I didn't have a clue as to what digital/HD was a year ago at this time! Thanks again for the info!

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #108 of 12219 Old 03-18-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anybody watching the NCAA tourney yesterday evening notice CBS's analog aspect ratio off "just a bit"???? Couldn't see the shot clock or read the first team name on the left. Almost like they took the center piece of an HD picture for their feed.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #109 of 12219 Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Rooftop:
Radio Shack U-75R (got it really cheap) w/CM7777 pre-amp, and

Indoors:
Radio Shack 15-1880 (both going into RS remote controlled A/B switch). I've also got a Silver Sensor that gets UHF equally as well, but I use the RS's VHF rabbit-ears to get 11 analog, for my TVGOS.

I usually keep the indoor one pointed at Chicago, since those are the strongest and easiest to get, and the outside one I point whichever way the reception is best. Year-round, I get CBS most reliably from WIFR-DT, so it's most often pointed towards Rockford. But on good nights I'll occasionally point it toward Milwaukee.

I plan on getting a good, full-range outdoor one up when the weather gets good, but this setup has been more than adequate for this winter.

Thanks for getting back. Wow getting Milwaukee with that U-75R you about 65 miles from the Milwaukee antenna farm on north farside in Shorewood that good. Have you been pokeing your head in BB or CC this weekend someone said there is some new units out this weekend DVD with ATSC tuners don't know which brands, but I see CC in your town has the Sammy 260 in stock now.

-Willie
post #110 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Hi Gilbert,

Have you seen or heard what the projected coverage for the WBBM 2-DT on Channel 11 is going to be ? And what about WLS-7 what the projected coverage too when they go back to 7.

-Willie
post #111 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieAntenna View Post

Thanks for getting back. Wow getting Milwaukee with that U-75R you about 65 miles from the Milwaukee antenna farm on north farside in Shorewood that good. Have you been pokeing your head in BB or CC this weekend someone said there is some new units out this weekend DVD with ATSC tuners don't know which brands, but I see CC in your town has the Sammy 260 in stock now.

-Willie

I think I'm probably only getting Milwaukee good because the leaves are off the trees across the way and it was winter (cold). They must be very high-powered. I think I was only able to get a couple of channels late last fall, when I first got the antenna up. But fortunately, the one I got most regularly then was 36-1. I really didn't get that one so much when it was colder, but now that it's warming up, I'm getting it again (don't know why that is). Even still, it's usually only at night (same as the others all winter). Actually, that PBS-HD channel is the one I'd want most anyway - all the others are just clones of the Chicago stations and mainly show the same old crap, only at different times. Other than that, the only other station I care to get is 58-1 (CBS) - mainly just for another option, in case for some reason I'm not receiving WIFR-DT well (since I don't get WBBM-DT). I get the South Bend CBS on occasion (WSBT-HD?), but that's just purely through tropo.

I saw the two digital tunered units at BB the other night. They're LG's. One is a VCR/DVD recorder and the other is just a DVD one. No hard drives though. I don't think there will be any of those coming out in the near future. At least not from what I've been reading in the DVD Recorder forum.

Maybe when they have a sizable HDD, and an upgraded TVGOS that works with digital (or something similar), I'll think about getting one. Oh - and one that's guide recording is fully compatible with satellite. The LG's had listed on the box and unit sticker that the IR blaster will control satellite tuners, but I'm already setting timers manually with my SD Sony DVR and E* tuner, so it wouldn't be an upgrade for me (my Sony will control it through it's IR blaster, but I don't use it).
post #112 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieAntenna View Post

Hi Gilbert,

Have you seen or heard what the projected coverage for the WBBM 2-DT on Channel 11 is going to be ? And what about WLS-7 what the projected coverage too when they go back to 7.

-Willie

I've seen WBBM-DT 11: draw a perfect circle centered on Sears tower, with a 30 mile radius, and you have it. I've wondered about that but engineers in defense of WBBM have publically stated here that even at that power, they should get out that far. As for WLS, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it goes out 10 miles more.

Kal Hassan (WLS VP of engineering) stated on the old board that he's not very concerned about it. Given the signal history of WLS, and all my contacts say he's a really smart guy, I'd be silly not to take his word.

Gilbert
post #113 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess there are a lot of people living out in the middle of Lake Michigan that they want to make sure they can get the signal to .
post #114 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I think I'm probably only getting Milwaukee good because the leaves are off the trees across the way and it was winter (cold). They must be very high-powered. I think I was only able to get a couple of channels late last fall, when I first got the antenna up. But fortunately, the one I got most regularly then was 36-1. I really didn't get that one so much when it was colder, but now that it's warming up, I'm getting it again (don't know why that is). Even still, it's usually only at night (same as the others all winter). Actually, that PBS-HD channel is the one I'd want most anyway - all the others are just clones of the Chicago stations and mainly show the same old crap, only at different times. Other than that, the only other station I care to get is 58-1 (CBS) - mainly just for another option, in case for some reason I'm not receiving WIFR-DT well (since I don't get WBBM-DT). I get the South Bend CBS on occasion (WSBT-HD?), but that's just purely through tropo.

I saw the two digital tunered units at BB the other night. They're LG's. One is a VCR/DVD recorder and the other is just a DVD one. No hard drives though. I don't think there will be any of those coming out in the near future. At least not from what I've been reading in the DVD Recorder forum.

Maybe when they have a sizable HDD, and an upgraded TVGOS that works with digital (or something similar), I'll think about getting one. Oh - and one that's guide recording is fully compatible with satellite. The LG's had listed on the box and unit sticker that the IR blaster will control satellite tuners, but I'm already setting timers manually with my SD Sony DVR and E* tuner, so it wouldn't be an upgrade for me (my Sony will control it through it's IR blaster, but I don't use it).

That still pretty good for U-75 Antenna to reach to Milwaukee WDJT-58 they are up by Shorewood, WI. Channel 55 analog is by Kenosha and the digital is by Shorewood and there one in Racine also analog there but digital by Shorewood also.

I just look up BB site this AM and I see 2 new units 1 by Samsung DVD-V9700 VCR/DVD it nice unit it just listed as coming soon. The other is Philips DVD Recorder DVDR3505 but it does have ASTC tuner but it is ONLY SDTV TUNER NOT HDTV tuner and has pass through rf in the back. That also listed as coming soon. I did not look all the way though but will check the LG unit later. I got the spec on both from the Manufactor site.

-Willie
post #115 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I've seen WBBM-DT 11: draw a perfect circle centered on Sears tower, with a 30 mile radius, and you have it. I've wondered about that but engineers in defense of WBBM have publically stated here that even at that power, they should get out that far. As for WLS, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it goes out 10 miles more.

Kal Hassan (WLS VP of engineering) stated on the old board that he's not very concerned about it. Given the signal history of WLS, and all my contacts say he's a really smart guy, I'd be silly not to take his word.

So I take it they didn't qualify for the 4th round to move to another channel.

" As for WLS, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it goes out 10 miles more. "

As what Analog 7 does now or as DT52 does now ? I know you said as a guess, I can pick up analog 7 good now w/ CM 4228.

Gilbert, you did nice job of redoing the Chicago thread. I bet you that you are working on a new thread for 2-18-09 already

I don't know who to talk to about but maybe you do. How about adding somewhere on this website a countdown clock to analog shutdown.

-Willie
post #116 of 12219 Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My main worry is this -

For those of us who can consistently lock WBBM-DT on channel 3 now, do you think we're going to have any trouble when it moves to channel 11 at the lower power? Or will the characteristics of the new frequency compensate for the lower power altogether?
post #117 of 12219 Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Has anyone seen the mega huge AirBus A-380 landed at O'Hare airport live on WGN or WFLD noon news it landed about 12:30 PM. It was awsome. WLS did not cut in live, but I hope they had a crew there with the HD cams that would be nice view so maybe at 5,6 & 10 news WLS will show it. It takes 4 piolts, 4 crews member and 23 cabins crew members to run the plane with 483 passengers. 240 feet long and the wingspans just under a football field length.

Ramms, how would you like that be flying over your house on a daily basic . They flew over Waukgean toward the landing today. Alot of fights starts the approach to O'hare above where I live, sometime they fly so low that I could read the tail number and I think they were going to land at Harvard airport.

-Willie
post #118 of 12219 Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM

have myhd setup to capture both the 5 and 6 news on wls, gotta have something about it between those two. their website has a short story, pictures taken from a helicopter and about 15 minutes of approach/landing footage, so they were there. the chopper can do hd so that would be cool, but land based cameras would be a little more steady i guess.

tickled to be here
post #119 of 12219 Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr74 View Post

have myhd setup to capture both the 5 and 6 news on wls, gotta have something about it between those two. their website has a short story, pictures taken from a helicopter and about 15 minutes of approach/landing footage, so they were there. the chopper can do hd so that would be cool, but land based cameras would be a little more steady i guess.

WLS had their Chopper there and had live web coverage. I'm sure they'll have the video on the news.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #120 of 12219 Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 PM

Thanks jcr74 & hvs10trk

I will head over and check the website out. I bet Hillary is ordering one and have it ready for when she takes over the White House , She can have one deck and Billy the " First Man" will have the other deck .

I also heard if they max out the seating plan, it can hold 750 people .

-Willie
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page