Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 403 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #12061 of 12215 Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WJYS 62.3 now has an ID of Prism2 even though it has a TV bug of Prism and 62.4 has the ID of Prism and a bug of Prism2 and running the Sonlife network (religious).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12215 Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This should be a celebration for the viewers and the engineers at the ABC O&Os.

B&C stated that ABC will discontinue its digital subchannel network, Live Well Network in January 2015.
post #12063 of 12215 Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be a loss since the 7.2 Live Well channel is what we watch
post #12064 of 12215 Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You're probably their only viewer in the country!

It was a waste of bandwidth when it was on here in St Louis and I don't think anyone shed any tears around here when it disappeared months ago.
post #12065 of 12215 Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

You're probably their only viewer in the country!

It was a waste of bandwidth when it was on here in St Louis and I don't think anyone shed any tears around here when it disappeared months ago.

Definitely not the only viewer. I watch it occasionally, though the only shows I really like are the cooking shows. Still, it annoys me that any programming that does not involve violence, uncouth behavior, or sports (or all three) is not valued by the American viewing public.

post #12066 of 12215 Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM

LiveWell

I will also miss 7.2, LiveWell as I occasionally watched a number of home improvement show on it.
post #12067 of 12215 Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbakshi View Post
I will also miss 7.2, LiveWell as I occasionally watched a number of home improvement show on it.
I only remember 1 home improvement show, & that was a joke of a show produced by WLS-TV. PBS & Create have better home improvement shows than Livewell Network ever did. My mom will miss Livewell Network, since Steven & Chris are only carried by Livewell Network OTA in Chicago (not sure about other markets). WCIU used to carry their show on U Too, until Livewell Network picked it up. I wonder if WCIU might pick up Steven & Chris again.

Last edited by dave73; 06-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.
post #12068 of 12215 Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi! I'm trying to get WLS to be recognized with tvheadend, which runs on Linux. When using 'scan' from linuxtv, it sees all the channels BUT for WLS-TV/Channel 7.

Has anybody run into this problem? Does WLS work for anybody using a similar setup?
post #12069 of 12215 Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Tell it to look for WLS on real channel 44, not 7.
post #12070 of 12215 Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Location: Marseilles, Ill. On the back side of Seneca...south of I-80 zip:61341
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OTA from Marseilles, Il *HELP*

Hello all,

I originally cut the cord (with your help) back in 2008. I bought a Tivo HD dual tuner DVR and loved the picture quality, convenience and cost savings.

We have just moved to Marseilles, Il (61341). I am at 2662 n 2409th road. Some maps show it down the street in the woods...it isn't...it's on the corner and lots of flat grass.

I have a Pioneer Kuro televsion and the Tivo HD stated. With the antenna on the house when we bought it, we received channel 7 all the time...the rest of the channels were in and out, no signal at all on 2...this was using the Pioneer tuner. When we switched to the Tivo HD we would receive good signal strength on 7...we would receive no other channels on the Tivo. There was a preamp mounted on the 20+ foot outside pole. There is only one Tv on this line.

I then ordered Denny's HD Stacker (Chicago style) antenna. Now I receive no channels on the Tivo HD and only channel 7 on the Pioneer tuner. I just received the HD Stacker, since it performed worse than the previous antenna, I plan to return it rather than trying to chase down a solution with it.

Do you all have any suggestions of Antenna, or antenna/preamp combination that would help my reception problem. I really don't want to go to Satellite...but we've got to get something...and I would like to use my Tivo to be able to record in HD on a guided system.

Thanks all!

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12071 of 12215 Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM

I work about 2 miles south of you so I know the terrain. You seem to be up on the plain in farm land rather than down in the river valley. So, that is good. I'm not certain that your problem is with that specific antenna. How high up is the antenna mounted. Is it on a rotor? If not, what direction, in degrees from north, is it pointed? It should be 52 degrees for Chicago stations. Did you do anything, like replace, the existing coax and preamp?

If you look here,http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c63fddec5a71 , WWTO should be so strong that it wouldn't matter what direction your antenna is to pick it up.

On my roof: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/8800.gif
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

KC9ZOU

post #12072 of 12215 Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen View Post
I work about 2 miles south of you so I know the terrain. You seem to be up on the plain in farm land rather than down in the river valley. So, that is good. I'm not certain that your problem is with that specific antenna. How high up is the antenna mounted. Is it on a rotor? If not, what direction, in degrees from north, is it pointed? It should be 52 degrees for Chicago stations. Did you do anything, like replace, the existing coax and preamp?

If you look here,http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c63fddec5a71 , WWTO should be so strong that it wouldn't matter what direction your antenna is to pick it up.

I appologize for not getting back to you yesterday, but we had a bunch of people over for a crawfish boil...didn't touch my computer the whole day. But thanks for your reply!

It isn't down in the valley. My antenna is up approx 22' in the air, slightly higher than the peak of my ranch house. I don't have a rotor, I did set it with a compass at 52degrees...I also tried other variations trying to see if there was any difference.

I haven't replaced the existing coax and I am currently using the existing preamp.

Difference between the antenna. There seems to be a difference from my Tv tuner and the Tivo HD tuner. I always received a good signal, with Tivo, when in Joliet...but once I moved to the back side of Seneca.

The old antenna did receive most of the channels...but all channels wouldn't come in consistent from day to day (ch.2 had no signal at all). Even when I would receive a signal good enough to view on the televsion tuner...the Tivo would show weak signal strength...not good enough for viewing. Even if the Tivo wasn't bringing the channel in goo enough for viewing...I could still go to signal strength and see a low signal coming in.

When I switch antenna, to the HD Stacker...I only received channels 7 when using the television tuner. Switching to the Tivo...7 was pretty low...and many of the major networks were either extremely low or showing no signal strength. If it was showing something on the channels, my next step was going to be to get a new preamp and replace the coax. But when it showed nothing, even worse than the old existing antenna that came with the house...I started to question using the HD Stacker at all. My thought was you can't improve an absent signal.

So I took the HD Stacker down and put the old antenna back up. The antenna to coax connection was bad...so I'm waiting to get a new coax to two wire before hooking it up again. I'm not opposed to changing out the wire and buying a new preamps...but my goal is to get reception of the major networks on my Tivo HD, so I can record on the DVR and view. But if this isn't possible, I'm wondering if I should scrap the whole idea...I don't want to just chase the problem and throw money in different areas if it's not going to solve the problem. Which is why I came here...I need the help and advice of others here.

Let me know if there are any other questions you have or any suggestions...I really appreciate it!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6f607c25918

Here's the address info from TvFool

not working

not working

enjoy the music!

Last edited by gonefishin; 06-30-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #12073 of 12215 Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM

well, I believe I'll return the HD Stacker antenna, as it didn't receive any channels while my old antenna at least gave me some channels using my Tv's tuner (though only 1 channel using the Tivo tuner). I will put the old antenna back up, get a new preamp and run new cable...hopefully I can get this problem solved. I really hate to go back to having a television bill.

Does anyone have a recommendation on preamps? (or antenna)

thanks!

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12074 of 12215 Old 07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
well, I believe I'll return the HD Stacker antenna, as it didn't receive any channels while my old antenna at least gave me some channels using my Tv's tuner (though only 1 channel using the Tivo tuner). I will put the old antenna back up, get a new preamp and run new cable...hopefully I can get this problem solved. I really hate to go back to having a television bill.

Does anyone have a recommendation on preamps? (or antenna)

thanks!
Try taking the preamp out and see if it's the same situation. If so, the preamp is dead, or just not on.

I'm using a ChannelMaster 7777 and have had zero issues with it.

As for antennas, I'm loving my AntennaDirect DB4. I'm considering upgrading to a DB8 at some point...
post #12075 of 12215 Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post
Try taking the preamp out and see if it's the same situation. If so, the preamp is dead, or just not on.

I'm using a ChannelMaster 7777 and have had zero issues with it.

As for antennas, I'm loving my AntennaDirect DB4. I'm considering upgrading to a DB8 at some point...

Thanks Lord Zath. I tried this early on and the preamp was working, but I imagine I could benefit from a higher db unit. The preamp is probably just as old as the antenna...so I'm going to go ahead and change it.

I wonder if the DB8 would be a good choice for me as well...although I'm starting to think ch2 may be a lost cause.

Well, plans are to get the old antenna hooked up, with a new preamp and a run of new coax. Then see what we pull in on the television tuner...and the Tivo dvr Tuner. If we start pulling in some channels on the Tivo dvr Tuner...then I'll start to feel alot better about OTA at the new house.

thanks!

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12076 of 12215 Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Lord Zath. I tried this early on and the preamp was working, but I imagine I could benefit from a higher db unit. The preamp is probably just as old as the antenna...so I'm going to go ahead and change it.

I wonder if the DB8 would be a good choice for me as well...although I'm starting to think ch2 may be a lost cause.

Well, plans are to get the old antenna hooked up, with a new preamp and a run of new coax. Then see what we pull in on the television tuner...and the Tivo dvr Tuner. If we start pulling in some channels on the Tivo dvr Tuner...then I'll start to feel alot better about OTA at the new house.

thanks!
You never mentioned what kind of antenna came with the house, if you know. Is it a deep fringe antenna? When I looked at the HD stacker antenna from Dennys Antenna Service, it looks to be for those at the most, 50 miles from the transmission towers, & you're at around 65 - 70 miles from Chicago. Being that far will be difficult to begin with. While I'm only about 30 miles from Chicago in Gary Indiana, I have the DB8 (original DB8 ), & that's less directional than my Winegard HD9032 UHF antenna. My Winegard HD9032 is that directional, that I only got the full power UHF stations, & the only LPTV UHF I got with it was WWME-LD on RF 39 with pre-amp, while I got WDCI-LD on RF 30 & WMEU-CD on RF 32 without a pre-amp (those 2 LPTV stations aimed enough signal in my direction to get them without a pre-amp, while RF 39 is nulled toward Indiana, in order to protect WMYS-LD South Bend, IN, also on RF 39.

With the Antennas Direct DB8 & pre-amp, I was able to get some LPTV stations that I did not get with the Winegard HD9032 antenna & pre-amp. If you try out a DB8 (newer version from Antennas Direct is DB8e that can turn in 2 different directions), I would try & mount it at the highest point possible. Don't expect to get WBBM-TV with that antenna, as it's not made for VHF. You need an antenna made for VHF, & that requires a deep fringe antenna for your location. Since there are no full power VHF-LO stations in Chicago, nor in a 100 mile radius, the only choice for a VHF antenna is the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 & if you can still find this one from Winegard, the YA1713 (discontinued by Winegard, but some online stores may still have it in stock). It's not a guarantee that this will work for WBBM-TV at that distance, but you have a better change with that antenna than a DB8 antenna for the same station. If you want a combo antenna, I would recommend the Antennacraft HBU55 or Winegard HD7698, as those are VHF-HI/UHF, & deep fringe. For VHF, the only reason I went with the Antennacraft CS600, was because it was the only VHF antenna for 2-13, & I wanted WOCK-CD on RF 4 for when they carried America One (I almost never go to RF 4 these days, as they have nothing I really want to watch, & not really caring for The Cool TV since it came to Chicago). Lately for me, WOCK-CD has been next to impossible, due to only broadcasting at 300 watts, & the warmer weather wreaks havoc on the signal (not as much when they experimented at 810 watts, & not at all in Gary at 1kw). If it hadn't been for WOCK-CD in the past (not an option for you, as you're too far to even get their signal), I would have bought the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 antenna for myself, as I have no problems getting WBBM-TV on RF 12 (I'm also closer to Chicago), & I wouldn't need as large of a VHF antenna, while I prefer larger UHF antennas 30 miles and more away from Chicago.
post #12077 of 12215 Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
While I'm only about 30 miles from Chicago in Gary Indiana

A fellow Region-ite! I'm in Saint John and am thinking about cutting the cord when my U-Verse contract runs out in December but I'm not too keen on climbing on my roof and I'm not allowed to put up a tower. I have a significant number of 40' trees in my area and especially between me and the transmission towers (to the NNW). I was thinking about putting an ANT751 in my garage rafters and hook that up to a preamp.

Thoughts? I've been told previously it will not work perfectly but I should get good results at least 75%-90% of the time.
post #12078 of 12215 Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
You never mentioned what kind of antenna came with the house, if you know. Is it a deep fringe antenna? When I looked at the HD stacker antenna from Dennys Antenna Service, it looks to be for those at the most, 50 miles from the transmission towers, & you're at around 65 - 70 miles from Chicago. Being that far will be difficult to begin with. While I'm only about 30 miles from Chicago in Gary Indiana, I have the DB8 (original DB8 ), & that's less directional than my Winegard HD9032 UHF antenna. My Winegard HD9032 is that directional, that I only got the full power UHF stations, & the only LPTV UHF I got with it was WWME-LD on RF 39 with pre-amp, while I got WDCI-LD on RF 30 & WMEU-CD on RF 32 without a pre-amp (those 2 LPTV stations aimed enough signal in my direction to get them without a pre-amp, while RF 39 is nulled toward Indiana, in order to protect WMYS-LD South Bend, IN, also on RF 39.

With the Antennas Direct DB8 & pre-amp, I was able to get some LPTV stations that I did not get with the Winegard HD9032 antenna & pre-amp. If you try out a DB8 (newer version from Antennas Direct is DB8e that can turn in 2 different directions), I would try & mount it at the highest point possible. Don't expect to get WBBM-TV with that antenna, as it's not made for VHF. You need an antenna made for VHF, & that requires a deep fringe antenna for your location. Since there are no full power VHF-LO stations in Chicago, nor in a 100 mile radius, the only choice for a VHF antenna is the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 & if you can still find this one from Winegard, the YA1713 (discontinued by Winegard, but some online stores may still have it in stock). It's not a guarantee that this will work for WBBM-TV at that distance, but you have a better change with that antenna than a DB8 antenna for the same station. If you want a combo antenna, I would recommend the Antennacraft HBU55 or Winegard HD7698, as those are VHF-HI/UHF, & deep fringe. For VHF, the only reason I went with the Antennacraft CS600, was because it was the only VHF antenna for 2-13, & I wanted WOCK-CD on RF 4 for when they carried America One (I almost never go to RF 4 these days, as they have nothing I really want to watch, & not really caring for The Cool TV since it came to Chicago). Lately for me, WOCK-CD has been next to impossible, due to only broadcasting at 300 watts, & the warmer weather wreaks havoc on the signal (not as much when they experimented at 810 watts, & not at all in Gary at 1kw). If it hadn't been for WOCK-CD in the past (not an option for you, as you're too far to even get their signal), I would have bought the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 antenna for myself, as I have no problems getting WBBM-TV on RF 12 (I'm also closer to Chicago), & I wouldn't need as large of a VHF antenna, while I prefer larger UHF antennas 30 miles and more away from Chicago.

Thanks for the response Dave! Lots of information for me to go over in there.

The previous antenna looks to be a deep fringe antenna, but I'm not sure of the make/model

. It receives "some" shown signal on all the UHF signals, even if it isn't enough to pull a picture. I get no signal on VHF. That is all on the Tv tuner, on the Tivo tuner I was previously only getting 7...now I get nothing. But, the storm that came through played a little havoc with the old antenna I put back up.

I am going to borrow a Tivo Romio for a day and see if the tuner offers us any better picture for the signal coming in. Researching, people are saying the Tivo Romio has better OTA tuners...I hope so.

I'll also change out the coax. After I gather the previous information...I'll be looking into antenna.

Have a happy, safe Fourth

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12079 of 12215 Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 PM

what is going on with WCHU out of chicago can someone explain to me once again why it cannot go HD?can you tell me if The U Too is broadcasted in HD?when will WJYS Channel 62 go HD?

Thanks

bluegras
Illinois

Last edited by bluegras; 07-04-2014 at 10:16 PM.
post #12080 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
The previous antenna looks to be a deep fringe antenna, but I'm not sure of the make/model
Can you post a picture of the original antenna? It can at least give readers here an idea of the TYPE of antenna it is, if not an actual model.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #12081 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
what is going on with WCHU out of chicago can someone explain to me once again why it cannot go HD?
Just a guess: money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras
can you tell me if The U Too is broadcasted in HD?
Last I looked, yes, on virtual 48.1 (RF32).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras
when will WJYS Channel 62 go HD?
After some of those events they're expecting take place, I'd gauge.
post #12082 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

WCHU-LD is trying to move over to RF 7 (one of the few LPTV stations that wants on VHF), but the FCC hasn't acted on the application, due to the spectrum repackaging that the FCC is trying to do. I believe the FCC wants WLS-TV to go back to RF 7, rather than allow WCHU-LD to go there, then get bumped off the air again, when WLS-TV bumped WCHU-LD off of RF 44 in 2010.

For U Too, Dattier is right that the HD version is on RF 32 (48.1) in 720p, while the simulcast on WCIU 26.2 is meant to reach those who can't get U Too from WMEU-CD.

As for WJYS, I'd be surprised if they go HD at all. They could at least go widescreen for any programs they have that are in widescreen. The only way I could see WJYS going HD, is if someone buys the station from them (likely choices CBS, ABC, Tribune, or Weigel), which won't happen for a while.
post #12083 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Can you post a picture of the original antenna? It can at least give readers here an idea of the TYPE of antenna it is, if not an actual model.

It looks similar to the Channel Master 3020...though there are some differences. As of last night my wife said we started to receive channel 2! I got home and it was there...it would break up a bit...but it was receving the signal good enough to watch a program! This was all using the Tv tuner, not my Tivo HD DvR

I also tried my dad's Tivo Romio. My Tivo HD would only show a picture on channel 7...sometimes. With the Romio I received all the channels that I did on the television! This is giving me pretty good hope. I checked the signal strength on the Tivo Romio and most of the channels showed in the low 40's. Channel 2 was 39. Even channel 11 was coming in...which hadn't before.

The old antenna that came with the house is getting pretty beat up...and it's common for me to have to adjust the elements if we get a little wind.

So, I need to buy a Tivo Romio with lifetime subscription, change out the coax, get a new antenna (maybe db8e/plus VHF or another deep fringe?) Right now my preamp is for 15db too...perhaps getting a higher db preamp will be in order as well.

I'll get all of this hooked up on one television, then if things are working well...I'll hook it up to a second television as well.

Thanks!
Dan

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12084 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello - I am hoping you folks can help me out. I am looking to install an antenna in my attic. I live out in Rt59 Naperville area. I would like to drop the line from the attic to the basement where I have like a homerun connection. Please advise which antenna and other equipment I should look to purchase to get quality reception (especially CBS). Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by bonline; 07-06-2014 at 04:22 AM.
post #12085 of 12215 Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It looks similar to the Channel Master 3020...though there are some differences. As of last night my wife said we started to receive channel 2! I got home and it was there...it would break up a bit...but it was receving the signal good enough to watch a program! This was all using the Tv tuner, not my Tivo HD DvR

I also tried my dad's Tivo Romio. My Tivo HD would only show a picture on channel 7...sometimes. With the Romio I received all the channels that I did on the television! This is giving me pretty good hope. I checked the signal strength on the Tivo Romio and most of the channels showed in the low 40's. Channel 2 was 39. Even channel 11 was coming in...which hadn't before.

The old antenna that came with the house is getting pretty beat up...and it's common for me to have to adjust the elements if we get a little wind.

So, I need to buy a Tivo Romio with lifetime subscription, change out the coax, get a new antenna (maybe db8e/plus VHF or another deep fringe?) Right now my preamp is for 15db too...perhaps getting a higher db preamp will be in order as well.

I'll get all of this hooked up on one television, then if things are working well...I'll hook it up to a second television as well.

Thanks!
Dan
If you decide on a combo antenna, don't get one with VHF-Lo on it, as you're too far from the Quad Cities to get RF 4, & you're also too far to get RF 4 from Chicago (even if there's something worth watching on that channel). So the Antennacraft HBU55 or Winegard HD7698 would suit you just fine. If you get separate antennas, the DB8 or DB8e for UHF & Antennacraft Y10-7-13. If you can get the old Channelmaster CM7777 pre-amp with separate ports, then that's the route to go for a pre-amp. Otherwise, the RCA TVPRAMP1R might be your only choice for a pre-amp with separate VHF & UHF ports. I will tell you that if you got the Winegard HD9032 antenna, at least it has a VHF hookup on that antenna, should you decide you want separate band antennas. Before I forget, there is another antenna for UHF to consider, & have heard from others that it works for distant stations, the Antennas Direct 91XG. There's plenty of choices for UHF only antennas, but few for VHF only. The DB8 & DB8e & 91XG have 75ohm trnasformers on them, while the Winegard HD9032 requires a 300ohm to 75ohm transformer. You also need a 300ohm to 75ohm transformer for the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 antenna as well as the HBU55. The Winegard HD7698 has a 75ohm transformer on it.

Whatever route you go, I wish you the best at getting as many of the Chicago stations as possible. If you get the Winegard HD7698 or Antennacraft HBU55 combo antennas, don't remove those long deflectors that are in the middle of the UHF portion of the antenna. My old Philips combo antenna had similar deflectors on the UHF side, & it helped at getting some UHF stations (mainly select LPTV stations that didn't always come in). So those can help with gain on the UHF side for the UHF stations that can reach your area..
post #12086 of 12215 Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks Dave! I really appreciate the advice. I'm leaning toward an all in one antenna. I'm going to get the new Tivo box (with better tuner), change the coax and see where I stand then. After that I'll get myself a new antenna.

thanks again!
Dan

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12087 of 12215 Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonline View Post
Hello - I am hoping you folks can help me out. I am looking to install an antenna in my attic. I live out in Rt59 Naperville area. I would like to drop the line from the attic to the basement where I have like a homerun connection. Please advise which antenna and other equipment I should look to purchase to get quality reception (especially CBS). Thanks in advance for your help.
Get the biggest thing that will fit. Keep the receipt.

Think about putting the home run in the attic and dropping Ethernet into the basement.
post #12088 of 12215 Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 PM

I got the Tivo Romio and hooked it up. It may have a better tuner than my Kuro...I'm getting all the major networks with the old antenna and 15db preamp. I also have the new coax and connectors to put on the main drop line from the antenna (the rest of the house is already done with new coax. The Tivo tuner is showing signal in the upper 40's to 50's. Channel 2 is in the low 40's and sometimes the high 30's.

I returned the Denny's HD Stacker antenna the other day. That antenna may be fine in several situations, but it didn't work nearly as well as my older fringe antenna. It actually only received one channel, channel 7.

I believe now I'll get the new coax hooked up, keep the old antenna (maybe try to secure some of the loose elements) and see what I've got. Maybe I'll try one of the higher db preamps. Right now, since I'm receiving the channels pretty good (2 is still in and out at times)...I hate to make an antenna change when things are going good. But the new tuner really helped! I got my dual HD DVR back, oh wait...the Romio is a four tuner HD DVR. though I'm not sure the four tuners will ever be in use...I like OTA...but four recordings at once...we'll see.

Thanks again all!
Dan

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12089 of 12215 Old 07-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Okay, I recieved and installed the AntennaCraft 10g202 (29db) preamp, along with a new drop of quad shield rg6.

Channel 2 was in the high 30's before the changes, after it was in the upper 50's

My other channels, which are UHF, showed a signal in the low 40's moved up to the low 70's after the changes.

Signal strength was determined by the Tivo Romio tuner I use hooked to my Tv.

I also received 33 new channels and have a total of 80 channels received (though not all have programming and not all are of my interest)

I still need to figure out if I need to get a replacement antenna. Since I'm getting decent reception now, I hate to get something that doesn't work as good as my old one. I would want to get a combo UHF/VHF for the Chicago area. The reason I may still want to get a new antenna is because of loose elements that get blown out of alignment in strong winds.

Thanks all!

Dan

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12090 of 12215 Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Wonder how the tuner is on the Roamio, although it's nice to see they finally built-in the wifi. Still lament that the Premiere tuner is less sensitive than the Series 3.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page