post #12091 of 12164 Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Location: Marseilles, Ill. On the back side of Seneca...south of I-80 zip:61341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong View Post
Wonder how the tuner is on the Roamio, although it's nice to see they finally built-in the wifi. Still lament that the Premiere tuner is less sensitive than the Series 3.

Hi longwong,

go ahead and read through some of my previous posts, here in the Chicago OTA thread. I just moved to a new area, out in the fringe borders of Chicago OTA reception. In our old house we had a Tivo HD and had great reception with our antennas. But after the move, some 40 miles further from Chicago, the Tivo HD would only pull in channel 7. My Tv tuner would get most of the channels, most of the time. I borrowed my dad's Tivo Romio, to see if it had better reception...better than my HD. It got all the major networks...so it was easily performing better than my HD...way better in fact.

I since changed out the coax and preamp for a high db one...I have even better results.

that's where I am so far...

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

enjoy the music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12164 Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe Roamio actually is truly the step-up from Premiere that they've been promoting. Just wish they would include an OTA tuner on the Elite models or at least offer it with a larger capacity, but I guess we should be grateful that they even still have a tuner to begin with.

Good luck with your reception quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Hi longwong,

go ahead and read through some of my previous posts, here in the Chicago OTA thread. I just moved to a new area, out in the fringe borders of Chicago OTA reception. In our old house we had a Tivo HD and had great reception with our antennas. But after the move, some 40 miles further from Chicago, the Tivo HD would only pull in channel 7. My Tv tuner would get most of the channels, most of the time. I borrowed my dad's Tivo Romio, to see if it had better reception...better than my HD. It got all the major networks...so it was easily performing better than my HD...way better in fact.

I since changed out the coax and preamp for a high db one...I have even better results.

Dan
post #12093 of 12164 Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong;
or at least offer it with a larger capacity, but I guess we should be grateful that they even still have a tuner to begin with.
With the base model Roamio you can easily swap out the hard drive in about 15 minutes, for a 3tb drive.
post #12094 of 12164 Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 AM

Location: Marseilles, Ill. On the back side of Seneca...south of I-80 zip:61341
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
With the base model Roamio you can easily swap out the hard drive in about 15 minutes, for a 3tb drive.
very true!

I think we are very lucky that they're still offering an OTA option on their DVRs.

enjoy the music!
post #12095 of 12164 Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
gonefishin, your signature links don't work
post #12096 of 12164 Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_GUY View Post
Get the biggest thing that will fit. Keep the receipt.

Think about putting the home run in the attic and dropping Ethernet into the basement.
What do you mean drop ethernet to the basement? Why do I need Ethernet with the coax cables?
post #12097 of 12164 Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonline View Post
What do you mean drop ethernet to the basement? Why do I need Ethernet with the coax cables?

The closer the tuner is to the antenna the better the signal it receives. So think about putting it in the attic. If the hdhomerun tuner is in the attic the coax drop to the basement won't be needed. If you plan on using other tuners like a tv, or dvr then the coax will need to be dropped ... If the attic isn't climate controlled the hdhomerun might not work when summer comes....
post #12098 of 12164 Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM

I think I may have misled my issue by using the term homerun. Let me begin again - I live in Naperville (Rt59/95th), I am looking for a antenna to stick in the attic. In my basement there is a central distribution box (homerun) that currently distributes cable/dish signals to all of my TV outlets. My thinking was I would set-up a antenna in the attic, drop the coax to this distribution box, so that the signal will be available at all of my TV outlets.

Please advise - how I would go about distributing the antenna signals to all of the rooms, antenna recommendation and anything other words of wisdom.

Thanks you!
post #12099 of 12164 Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
A "homerun", in electrician's parlance, is a line that goes all the way from the point of delivery/service back to the central distribution point. It is not the central distribution point itself.

Your plan is pretty commonly done and usually works well enough.
post #12100 of 12164 Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Hi longwong,

Dan
Dan, new to forum and I am from the NW Chicago IL area. I am about 45-50 miles from the city (Antioch 60002) and am wondering what in your opinion is the best outdoor OTA antenna (HD) I can get for my area. I am near Fox Lake and can easily get ABC/NBC, BUT can NOT get CBS for some reason. I am running an HD Yagi from Solidsignal right now and its good, BUT I am missing some OTA Chicago stations? Thoughts and help greatly appreciated. I am interested in an High Gain outdoor and will even look at a rotatable unit or fixed.
post #12101 of 12164 Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

WBBM operates on a VHF channel with a modest level of power. If your "HD Yagi from Solidsignal" is a UHF-only antenna, that explains the problem with that station.
post #12102 of 12164 Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
WBBM operates on a VHF channel with a modest level of power. If your "HD Yagi from Solidsignal" is a UHF-only antenna, that explains the problem with that station.
Any thoughts then on another antenna that "really draws them in" from 50 or more miles from source. My antenna us about 25 feet high on a mast. I run a amp with my Yagi and still can not get that great reception, even on the UHF stations. Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on Antennacraft hd1850?
OTA_GUY likes this.

Last edited by GlennGlenn; 07-31-2014 at 06:55 PM.
post #12103 of 12164 Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't need that big thing. Just add a 5 or 10 element high-VHF antenna.
post #12104 of 12164 Old 08-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennGlenn View Post
Any thoughts then on another antenna that "really draws them in" from 50 or more miles from source. My antenna us about 25 feet high on a mast. I run a amp with my Yagi and still can not get that great reception, even on the UHF stations. Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on Antennacraft hd1850?
That antenna would be good, if you want to try & get WIWN (Weather Nation) on RF 5 from Milwaukee. That might also work if you want to try & get WOCK-CD on RF 4 from Chicago (some people from South Bend Indiana have picked up this station at only 300 watts with no problems, while I'm about 30 miles SE, & have problems on some days getting it). Otherwise, I'd recommend either the Antennacraft HBU558 or Winegard HD7698 antennas if you're looking at a combo. If your current antenna is UHF only, & picks up the bulk of your stations, adding the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 antenna would help for WBBM, to an extent. Running a generic TV Fool chart for your area, WBBM-TV will be tough, considering the terrain in your area that would make it tough to get some stations. Since you're near the state line, you also can get Milwaukee stations too, & it shows that you have a slightly better chance of getting WDJT on RF 46 better for CBS than WBBM on RF 12 from Chicago. Usually, most people have 2 combo antennas in your area, along with those in Kenosha County, since both markets are VHF/UHF. For Milwaukee, they have 2 VHF stations: WIWN on RF 5, & they carry Weather Nation, & WMVS on RF 8 (one of 2 PBS stations, with the other on RF 35), while everyone else (including all network affiliates) are on UHF. For Chicago, we only have 1 full power VHF, & that WBBM-TV on RF 12, while we also have a Class A station on RF 4, WOCK-CD, that few people get with no trouble (I get it, but reception isn't always clear, especially in the summer). If you only want one antenna, then I'd recommend a rotator as well, since you may want to get Milwaukee stations as well. You might as well take advantage of it, as it allows you to see some syndicated shows in different timeslots on different stations. I don't know if you want Ion Television or the subchannels. If you do, I'd recommend getting it from WPXE on RF 40, as it's licensed to Kenosha, while transmitting from Milwaukee. With that in mind, they must send a lot of signal toward Kenosha in order to cover their COL, & send a good amount of signal into Lake & McHenry Counties of Illinois.

Go to this link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29, & fill out your address to see what stations can be received in your location (address is hidden to us), & post your personal chart from the link created, & post it on this board, so we can give you better recommendations on an antenna or 2. Also, be sure you put the height you're placing your antenna, so it can give you a better analysis. If you don't, then by default, it goes by ground level, rather than the height you want your antenna(s). I'm curious as to which antenna you're using right now from Solid Signal. Most of the Solid Signal brand antennas are UHF only, with 1 being a deep fringe all channel yagi. And again, we won't recommend any all channel combo antennas, unless you think you might want WIWN (Weather Nation) on RF 5 from Milwaukee.
post #12105 of 12164 Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Dan, new to forum and I am from the NW Chicago IL area. I am about 45-50 miles from the city (Antioch 60002) and am wondering what in your opinion is the best outdoor OTA antenna (HD) I can get for my area. I am near Fox Lake and can easily get ABC/NBC, BUT can NOT get CBS for some reason. I am running an HD Yagi from Solidsignal right now and its good, BUT I am missing some OTA Chicago stations? Thoughts and help greatly appreciated. I am interested in an High Gain outdoor and will even look at a rotatable unit or fixed.
I'm in Antioch and get WMAQ - CBS *most* of the time with a simple Radio Shack rabbit-ear antenna in the attic tied to a CM-7777 amp. For UHF I have a DB-4. Works great, and the times that I don't get it, I can always switch to Milwaukee's CBS (56 or 58).

Zath soaring school:

Battlefield 3 AVS stats:

Remember Nexus

post #12106 of 12164 Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Hdb91x is the hint from solid signal that I am running and instill can't get wbbm channel2
post #12107 of 12164 Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hdb91x is the hint from solid signal that I am running and instill can't get wbbm channel2
Go back and read my previous response. Your answer is already there.
post #12108 of 12164 Old 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM

When will escape and grit appear? 7:30 Wednesday able to pick up south bend CBS with wingurd flatware indoor antenna
post #12109 of 12164 Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 AM

Any news about WBBM moving to digital channel 26 from 12? My Channel Master OTA DVR can pick up every available Chicago channel with a signal strength of 83 or more from Hickory Hills, but never WBBM no matter the orientation of the indoor antenna (apartment bound).
post #12110 of 12164 Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WBBM is not moving to RF 26. They are using RF26 as a low power UHF translator to supplement the VHF 12 signal for better indoor coverage in the metro Chicago area.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #12111 of 12164 Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post
I'm in Antioch and get WMAQ - CBS *most* of the time with a simple Radio Shack rabbit-ear antenna in the attic tied to a CM-7777 amp. For UHF I have a DB-4. Works great, and the times that I don't get it, I can always switch to Milwaukee's CBS (56 or 58).
My recommendation would be to not try to get WBBM , and try for WIFR in Rockford. I live in Crystal Lake, and I have put 2 antennas in the attic. One at Chicago, the other aimed at Rockford. I have given up on WBBM sending a proper signal. There is a way to do this so you only use one coax.
post #12112 of 12164 Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
Any news about WBBM moving to digital channel 26 from 12? My Channel Master OTA DVR can pick up every available Chicago channel with a signal strength of 83 or more from Hickory Hills, but never WBBM no matter the orientation of the indoor antenna (apartment bound).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
WBBM is not moving to RF 26. They are using RF26 as a low power UHF translator to supplement the VHF 12 signal for better indoor coverage in the metro Chicago area.
WBBM can't transmit at full power on 26 because they have to protect WKOW here in Madison.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #12113 of 12164 Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 PM

WFLD with the Bears Network had horrible breakup for the first 25 minutes of the game tonight in Chicago. In addition, the main picture at midfield from medium range has horrible resolution. Looks like 480i at best.

Bill M.
Hoffman Estates, Il
post #12114 of 12164 Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 PM

My brother in Las Vegas was seeing the same thing, so I think the issue was with NFL Network or the crew they used to provide the video. The commercials during the period in question all appeared perfectly, aside from a few that were graphics over the playing field as a background.

My beef with WFLD is that their announcers seemed totally clueless to the video problem for the duration and I have yet to see WFLD even acknowledge the issue. Next week's game is on ESPN so we can see for ourselves if the first team looks as good as the announcers claimed.

For my money the whole thing was a 25 minute commercial for listening to WBBM for the play by play. At least those guys tried to describe the on-field action!
post #12115 of 12164 Old 08-09-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The pq on the Bears game last night looked like the old Fox Digital Widescreen imho[they ought to pony up the money to do the games in HD locally].

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #12116 of 12164 Old 08-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post
WBBM can't transmit at full power on 26 because they have to protect WKOW here in Madison.
They also have to protect WCCU Champaign, IL as well. That's why the signal is also nulled in that direction, but not as much, since WCCU nulls theirs to the north, for when WCIU was still on RF 26.
post #12117 of 12164 Old 08-10-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no null in the direction of Champaign. WBBM-26 is, in fact, at almost maximum power in that direction.

WBBM's license is for 15 kW on RF 26, which is the maximum legal limit for a UHF digital translator. Because of the adjacent markets, WBBM could only operate as a translator on RF 26 as a "full-power" station would have interfered and the other stations already enjoyed legal interference protection.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 08-10-2014 at 06:30 AM.
post #12118 of 12164 Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM

Heard new escape and grit primear no longer august 11th google it
post #12119 of 12164 Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post
The pq on the Bears game last night looked like the old Fox Digital Widescreen imho[they ought to pony up the money to do the games in HD locally].
The video encoder crashed. Even when it was rebooted, it still looked bad. The Bears made it clear that it wasn't WFLD's fault at all; it was at the truck.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...808-story.html

The Bears produced the game; everyone else was just picking up the feed.

Gilbert
post #12120 of 12164 Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I noticed the same thing with last season's preseason games(less than HD picture quality)it's still the same so far this season.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page