post #12091 of 12097 Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Location: Marseilles, Ill. On the back side of Seneca...south of I-80 zip:61341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong View Post
Wonder how the tuner is on the Roamio, although it's nice to see they finally built-in the wifi. Still lament that the Premiere tuner is less sensitive than the Series 3.

Hi longwong,

go ahead and read through some of my previous posts, here in the Chicago OTA thread. I just moved to a new area, out in the fringe borders of Chicago OTA reception. In our old house we had a Tivo HD and had great reception with our antennas. But after the move, some 40 miles further from Chicago, the Tivo HD would only pull in channel 7. My Tv tuner would get most of the channels, most of the time. I borrowed my dad's Tivo Romio, to see if it had better reception...better than my HD. It got all the major networks...so it was easily performing better than my HD...way better in fact.

I since changed out the coax and preamp for a high db one...I have even better results.

that's where I am so far...

Dan

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12097 Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe Roamio actually is truly the step-up from Premiere that they've been promoting. Just wish they would include an OTA tuner on the Elite models or at least offer it with a larger capacity, but I guess we should be grateful that they even still have a tuner to begin with.

Good luck with your reception quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Hi longwong,

go ahead and read through some of my previous posts, here in the Chicago OTA thread. I just moved to a new area, out in the fringe borders of Chicago OTA reception. In our old house we had a Tivo HD and had great reception with our antennas. But after the move, some 40 miles further from Chicago, the Tivo HD would only pull in channel 7. My Tv tuner would get most of the channels, most of the time. I borrowed my dad's Tivo Romio, to see if it had better reception...better than my HD. It got all the major networks...so it was easily performing better than my HD...way better in fact.

I since changed out the coax and preamp for a high db one...I have even better results.

that's where I am so far...

Dan
post #12093 of 12097 Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwong;
or at least offer it with a larger capacity, but I guess we should be grateful that they even still have a tuner to begin with.
With the base model Roamio you can easily swap out the hard drive in about 15 minutes, for a 3tb drive.
post #12094 of 12097 Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 AM

Location: Marseilles, Ill. On the back side of Seneca...south of I-80 zip:61341
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
With the base model Roamio you can easily swap out the hard drive in about 15 minutes, for a 3tb drive.
very true!

I think we are very lucky that they're still offering an OTA option on their DVRs.

not working

not working

enjoy the music!
post #12095 of 12097 Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
gonefishin, your signature links don't work
post #12096 of 12097 Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_GUY View Post
Get the biggest thing that will fit. Keep the receipt.

Think about putting the home run in the attic and dropping Ethernet into the basement.
What do you mean drop ethernet to the basement? Why do I need Ethernet with the coax cables?
post #12097 of 12097 Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonline View Post
What do you mean drop ethernet to the basement? Why do I need Ethernet with the coax cables?

The closer the tuner is to the antenna the better the signal it receives. So think about putting it in the attic. If the hdhomerun tuner is in the attic the coax drop to the basement won't be needed. If you plan on using other tuners like a tv, or dvr then the coax will need to be dropped ... If the attic isn't climate controlled the hdhomerun might not work when summer comes....
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page