AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - OTA

2M views 15K replies 680 participants last post by  Mike Beranek 
#1 · (Edited)
#8,101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18479338

WLS-DT has applied to keep channel 7 on for 6 more months.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=2

They have three phases of construction for getting channel 44 to full power. One, getting 44 on the air at decent power...which is done. #2, going 1 million watts on Hancock, and then step 3...although not filed yet...almost certainly 1 million watts from Sears. To do this, they want to have 7 still operating because the 1 megawatt signal from Hancock might overload nearby viewers (scratches head). Anyway, they are actively getting ready for a new high power UHF transmitter on Sears. The document above is an interesting read; nothing new here for those following the saga, but they speak of their progress.

HUH? Overload nearby viewers? Then why put out that much in the first place? This is dragging out like a bad soap opera. I miss WITI and no dice with that until WCHU moves to 7. Damn.
What other full powered station can run simultaneous transmissions like this? What a waste of bandwidth.

#8,102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat /forum/post/18482146

What other full powered station can run simultaneous transmissions like this? What a waste of bandwidth.

WTVF Nashville, WIBW Topeka, KAKE Wichita, KLKN Lincoln, KCAU Sioux City, WOI Des Moines, WHBF Rock Island, KRCR Redding, KVIA El Paso.

Probably forgot a few.

- Trip

#8,103 ·
i read with interest the news with channel 7 and the construction to up the power eventually to 1 million watts and that they are in the process of ordering and installing the new antenna and related parts... how can channel 7 not have a problem doing all of this but somehow the folks at channel 26 still have not finished doing anything in order to put in the facilities, transmitter and antenna so that they can up the power... i have called the folks at channel 26 and they do not seem to have an answer to this problem and when it will be solved. how can almost a year go by since the analog switch off and they still do not have any idea when they will fix the signal strength issue and finish what they have started at the station but have never completed at the willis tower...

any help would be appreciated

#8,104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by judget /forum/post/18483831

i read with interest the news with channel 7 and the construction to up the power eventually to 1 million watts and that they are in the process of ordering and installing the new antenna and related parts... how can channel 7 not have a problem doing all of this but somehow the folks at channel 26 still have not finished doing anything in order to put in the facilities, transmitter and antenna so that they can up the power... i have called the folks at channel 26 and they do not seem to have an answer to this problem and when it will be solved. how can almost a year go by since the analog switch off and they still do not have any idea when they will fix the signal strength issue and finish what they have started at the station but have never completed at the willis tower...

Weigel is a relatively small, independent broadcaster. WLS is part of the Disney gigacorp. Who do you think has more spare money or access to credit in this economy?

#8,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat /forum/post/18482146

WLS/RF7 is not a waste of bandwidth when you live in the SW suburbs where RF44 comes in with all the power of a Daisy air rifle and borders on unwatchable due to frequent break-ups.

If you want to talk about a waste of bandwidth, check out WJYS.

#8,112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 /forum/post/18485178

Yea im seeing it here too! Its Live Power dopplar radar and NOAA. Why not just add this as a real sub. Its better than WLS and WMAQ. I would rather have radar up like this than the crap WLS and WMAQ has.

I did enjoy 5-2 when weather was around but I'll give it up anyday for WFLD's MEGA RADAR (as said in a cheap announcer's voice)

#8,113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz /forum/post/18484726

WLS/RF7 is not a waste of bandwidth when you live in the SW suburbs where RF44 comes in with all the power of a Daisy air rifle and borders on unwatchable due to frequent break-ups.
I get WLS-TV better on RF 7 better than I do on RF 44, though I'm probably a lot closer to Chicago than you are. I do know that both the John Hancock & Sears Tower are in clear enough view to get nearly all stations. I just don't get the low power DTV stations at this time, despite maps showing coverage over Gary Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzz /forum/post/18484726

If you want to talk about a waste of bandwidth, check out WJYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18484782

You mean Live Well in HD.
WJYS is the real waste of bandwidth on the TV dial, along with Ion TV. Both stations air mostly infomercials, though Ion TV has slowly expanded their programming schedule. WJYS seems happy being a mostly infomercial station. The simulcast of WEDE-CA (MCTV) on WJYS actually airs shows (even if it's sermons from various churches, but actual programming). As for Livewell HD; I don't see that channel being a real waste. While most of the shows don't appeal to me, I do watch Advice For Life & Motion. I don't know how Livewell HD managed to also carry My Green House and air most the same episodes almost in sync with Ion Life (who also carries My Green House). I believe in nearly all markets that ABC O&O stations carry Livewell HD, that there's also an Ion TV station with Ion Life on a subchannel (XX.3). So I don't know how that works out. I don't know if Livewell HD will continue their arrangement to acquire previously aired Mexico One Plate At A Time with Rick Bayless, or eventually try to acquire the show outright later on from WTTW (since WTTW produces the show thru WTTW National).
Quote:
Originally Posted by judget /forum/post/18483831

the willis tower...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18484777

Huh? What's that?
The Willis Tower used to be called The Sears Tower. Willis Insurance Group leases most of the space in the building, and also had the name changed to the building as part of the naming rights. I still call it the Sears Tower.

#8,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 /forum/post/18485178

Yea im seeing it here too! Its Live Power dopplar radar and NOAA. Why not just add this as a real sub. Its better than WLS and WMAQ. I would rather have radar up like this than the crap WLS and WMAQ has.

Are you fine folks still seeing it? My DTT-900 converter box isn't.

#8,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 /forum/post/18484033

Weigel is a relatively small, independent broadcaster. WLS is part of the Disney gigacorp. Who do you think has more spare money or access to credit in this economy?

HVSTRK. No doubt about it. He gets off the train downtown and the cab lifts up a few inches. He's loaded with pennies!

Seriously, though, if you've followed them over the years, 26 cares very much about their quality. They've done stuff with their encoders no one else is doing. Like run 4 subchannels and still make their main look very, very good!

#8,116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18487166

HVSTRK. No doubt about it. He gets off the train downtown and the cab lifts up a few inches. He's loaded with pennies!

Seriously, though, if you've followed them over the years, 26 cares very much about their quality. They've done stuff with their encoders no one else is doing. Like run 4 subchannels and still make their main look very, very good!

Excellent point. I would agree that WCIU gets more bang for the buck than any station in the market. Even their football/basketball games on 26-4 look better than anything on Livwell.... and like you said they have 4 subchannels to deal with. If it's possible, using a variable bit rate encoder and increasing the bit allocation during the sports games on 26-4 would be my only constructive suggestion.

#8,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/18486315

... The Willis Tower used to be called The Sears Tower. Willis Insurance Group leases most of the space in the building, and also had the name changed to the building as part of the naming rights. I still call it the Sears Tower.

"Most" of the space?

At the time a whopping THREE floors was mentioned in the papers. Wikipedia concurs.

#8,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/18488132

"Most" of the space?

At the time a whopping THREE floors was mentioned in the papers. Wikipedia concurs.

Perhaps "the most space" but the key issue is that Sears let the naming rights expire many years ago and Willis has now purchased those rights. Sears has not had any space in the building for years so it isn't an issue of who leases the most floors.

That being said, Willis didn't pay ME for the right to rename the building. So I'll call it whatever I durn well feel like - "Sears" seems to fit and was the company that built the tower. Many buildings are named after their original owners ... even if their original owners are long gone. If Willis sends ME a check I'll consistently use their name.