Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Thanks!

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 12184 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonline View Post
Hello - I am hoping you folks can help me out. I am looking to install an antenna in my attic. I live out in Rt59 Naperville area. I would like to drop the line from the attic to the basement where I have like a homerun connection. Please advise which antenna and other equipment I should look to purchase to get quality reception (especially CBS). Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not too far from you. I'm off Eola Road by Waubonsie HS and I get fantastic reception.

Currently, I have a Winegard HD7694P in my attic above my 2 story house, pointed towards Chicago. I had been using a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, but when it died after 10 years, I replaced it with an AntennaCraft 10G212. I run 3 drops from the output of the pre-amp: upstairs bedroom, main floor family room, and basement family room, unfortunately all with RG-59, rather than the newer and better RG-6 coax cable. Still, with this setup, as I said, I get fantastic reception. The only things I don't get reliably are the low-power digitals. Still, in this market, my scan turns up roughly 70 channels, of which I keep about 30 in my favorites.

Winegard makes larger members of the 769x family, which would provide a little more gain. The 7694 is remarkably compact, so it will work in just about any space, even an attic crowded with trusses.
post #12183 of 12184 Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwojciechowski View Post
I'm not too far from you. I'm off Eola Road by Waubonsie HS and I get fantastic reception.

Currently, I have a Winegard HD7694P in my attic above my 2 story house, pointed towards Chicago. I had been using a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, but when it died after 10 years, I replaced it with an AntennaCraft 10G212. I run 3 drops from the output of the pre-amp: upstairs bedroom, main floor family room, and basement family room, unfortunately all with RG-59, rather than the newer and better RG-6 coax cable. Still, with this setup, as I said, I get fantastic reception. The only things I don't get reliably are the low-power digitals. Still, in this market, my scan turns up roughly 70 channels, of which I keep about 30 in my favorites.

Winegard makes larger members of the 769x family, which would provide a little more gain. The 7694 is remarkably compact, so it will work in just about any space, even an attic crowded with trusses.
I looked at the AntennaCraft 10G212 preamp instructions & noticed it said not to mount the power supply in the attic, but I have no idea why not. Are you running your 3 drops using a splitter in the attic & located inbetween the preamp & power supply (presumably located inside your house)? Or did you also put the power supply in the attic?
post #12184 of 12184 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwojciechowski View Post

Dan - Thanks! You are close by. So help me understand this 3 drops you mentioned. How would I go about doing it or did you outsource this job to someone (contact details)? I have a similar set-up as you. Is it possible to send it to one spot and then it gets distributed from there?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page