2Likes

post #181 of 12179 Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Nah, don't mess with the elements, or it will make reception worse. Try the preamp, and see if it does the trick, but make sure you can return it. The chances for success here don't sound good with that antenna, but if you're willing to gamble...and yes, I understand. My VHF antenna in my attic has the longest rods on the west side of my townhome, which doesn't help me. But, to be honest, it doesn't matter because of my distance to WBBM anyway.

Hey guys, haven't visited in awhile.

I'm around 10 -15 miles further from the towers than MC is, as you probably remember I finally ended up with the 8200. I did experiment with the philips brand form Menards, but was a poor performer for me- (MK, I hope you saved the box, because it is returnable even with those POS papers they call instructions )

Gilbert, I think a lot of issues our fellow members are having maybe directly related as to what tuners there using and of course wiring. Case in point, as I opened this thread up tonight, it's windy as all hell out there- not exactly ideal OTA conditions. My 3 year old display pulls in 2 just fine but 7 is a little messed up. So just for s****s and giggles I went to one of my other tv"s (both less than a year old) and BOTH locked in glorious HD.

Same wiring, same antenna, same splitter, same conditions but different results.

As far as the preamp thing, I tried it once, that's when I just had my powered 4-way splitter, it made the things worse. I have just installed a new 8-way splitter (powered) and I may give it another shot (preamp) because of that 360' run I've got going on. Think it might help, or a waste of time?

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 12179 Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG386 View Post

Hey guys, haven't visited in awhile.

I'm around 10 -15 miles further from the towers than MC is, as you probably remember I finally ended up with the 8200. I did experiment with the philips brand form Menards, but was a poor performer for me- (MK, I hope you saved the box, because it is returnable even with those POS papers they call instructions )

Gilbert, I think a lot of issues our fellow members are having maybe directly related as to what tuners there using and of course wiring. Case in point, as I opened this thread up tonight, it's windy as all hell out there- not exactly ideal OTA conditions. My 3 year old display pulls in 2 just fine but 7 is a little messed up. So just for s****s and giggles I went to one of my other tv"s (both less than a year old) and BOTH locked in glorious HD.

Same wiring, same antenna, same splitter, same conditions but different results.

As far as the preamp thing, I tried it once, that's when I just had my powered 4-way splitter, it made the things worse. I have just installed a new 8-way splitter (powered) and I may give it another shot (preamp) because of that 360' run I've got going on. Think it might help, or a waste of time?

Hey GG,

Last for your last question, try it without the preamp...can't hurt, although I suspect you'll need an amplifier of about 10 dB.

As for the tuner issue, that is true. But there are other factors: quality of the wiring, what interference it encounters along the way (computer? Fluorescent light? Dimmer switch?). I know, other people say I am flat wrong on this, but I have seen it with my own eyes: RG-6 cable, minimum, and if at all possible, ALWAYS go with the quad-shield stuff to reject all the RF garbage that's floating around in one's home. It does help, if only a little. But with digital, you need all the help you can get with over-the-air.

As for the wind...well, wind has absolutely no effect on your reception. But the *effects* of it do, primary with trees changing the signal path. That can cause breaksups. When they brought in warm air aloft yesterday evening but kept the near-ground and ground layers chilly, that caused a temperature "inversion" with warm air aloft that caused the signals to bounce off the layer 3,000 feet high, essentially making the transmitters that tall to some extent.

If you don't have multipath, then it's a tuner sensitivity issue...and since generation 4, that's been fine. If there is multipath, the 5th and now-coming-onboard 6th generation handle those well. The main problem is getting that antenna outside if more than 15 miles away, or getting a big enough antenna if in the attic. That is the big issue most people face. Next to getting big enough antenna "arms" to get WBBM, of course.

Gilbert
post #183 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:

(MK, I hope you saved the box, because it is returnable even with those POS papers they call instructions )

LOL, man if that isn't the truth. Those papers suck. Worst. instructions. ever.

Quote:

Gilbert, I think a lot of issues our fellow members are having maybe directly related as to what tuners there using and of course wiring.

Quote:

I know, other people say I am flat wrong on this, but I have seen it with my own eyes: RG-6 cable, minimum, and if at all possible, ALWAYS go with the quad-shield stuff to reject all the RF garbage that's floating around in one's home.

I'd have to agree too. I have a LST-3510A with 1.91 firmware. It works well in general, but I have a feeling that something isn't quite right with it (or maybe some wiring). I posted a questions to the main AVS forum about my TV "blacking out" when a HD signal has a bright flash on the screen or goes from really dark scene to really bright scene. I'll lose the picture for 1-2 seconds and in most cases lose the aspect setting on my 4:3 HDTV.

For the longest time I thought it was the TV, but now I'm not so sure. Since putting up the new antenna, the symptoms have significantly decreased. Not sure why this is, but I suspect either a cabling issue or my tuner likes this stronger signal. I've noticed that it tunes channels faster (locks on faster?) and the guide info tends to be more complete as well.

I could have sworn I installed quad shielded cable, but maybe I didn't. I do have to run the last 30-40 ft in a common channel in my ceiling with about 4 cat5e cables, a few quad shield cables for sat, and very close to the can lighting in the ceiling. Oh, and I have CFC bulbs in the cans. Kinda ugly. I'd love to try another OTA tuner to test my theory, but us OTA HD folk are a bit hard to come by.

Gilbert, I know there are the next gen tuners coming out but where do you get them? Online only? Every time I've looked, it's near impossible to find out any specs or info for new tuners.

As always, thanks for the info. Glad to know there are others out here like me. It's just sad that we don't have more HD content to watch.
post #184 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1277 View Post

Gilbert, I know there are the next gen tuners coming out but where do you get them? Online only? Every time I've looked, it's near impossible to find out any specs or info for new tuners.

As always, thanks for the info. Glad to know there are others out here like me. It's just sad that we don't have more HD content to watch.

Yeah, with all that stuff in your wiring up there, I'd go with quad-shielded. Try that first. It can only help.

As for the next-gen tuners, unfortunately I don't know when the LG 6th gen chip will be out, but I have heard by early next year. I suspect it will be earlier. That's the one I want...it has the drastically improved multipath reception, but it also has an incredible capture capability that pushes the reception of signals to the absolute limit. It literally is right there at the theoretical limit of how good a chip can be (and they still haven't perfected that with analog yet!), and it only took less than a decade instead of 50 years for analog. Not bad!

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know, but I can assure you, it will either be in those little boxes for the $40 analog-digital transition tuners, or in new TV's. We probably won't see many more converter boxes made.

Gilbert
post #185 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know, but I can assure you, it will either be in those little boxes for the $40 analog-digital transition tuners, or in new TV's. We probably won't see many more converter boxes made.

Thanks for the info. I've really enjoyed my uber-cheap setup. Even with a 5-6 year old CRT HDTV and the LG tuner, I'd say that the picture quality rivals my brother's Samsung DLP set that I just watched this weekend. Shame that OTA STBs are so hard to come by.

In the meantime, I'll test out the wiring. I think I may have bought the plain dual shielded RG-6 when I ran the line. Baseball season is upon us, so CBS isn't as important right now. I'll get to it eventually.
post #186 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,
We will be making some minor changes to 26.1 and its 5.1 audio. In the next week our 5.1 audio will be a more descrete 5.1. I don't have an exact date yet on the transition but its very soon. Hope you enjoy the new "Sound" of WCIU-HD. I will post once the change has been made and viewer comments are encouraged.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #187 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Within the past month I've been noticing some pixelation w ch7 while 2 is still locking in solid. If ch2 comes in solid, does that mean my antenna is aimed properly?

Interestingly, my ISP turned there antenna 90degrees on it axis (not direction) last month which sits ABOVE my 8200. I wasn't home when they did the work, but I assume they took down the mast, turned it and maybe did not index where the antenna was originally. If I'm knocking the socks off WBBM, why wouldn't that automatically line me up for 7 or is something going on with ABC signal wise?
I guess I can blame it on that coyote that ventured in Quisno's yesterday

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #188 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Within the past month I've been noticing some pixelation w ch7 while 2 is still locking in solid. If ch2 comes in solid, does that mean my antenna is aimed properly?

Interestingly, my ISP turned there antenna 90degrees on it axis (not direction) last month which sits ABOVE my 8200. I wasn't home when they did the work, but I assume they took down the mast, turned it and maybe did not index where the antenna was originally. If I'm knocking the socks off WBBM, why wouldn't that automatically line me up for 7 or is something going on with ABC signal wise?
I guess I can blame it on that coyote that ventured in Quisno's yesterday

Ding! I'm sure they didn't point it correctly. It sounds like it's pointed a bit further north, which is why you're hitting the Hancock, and WBBM so well 50 miles out.

"Hitting the Hancock, and WBBM so well 50 miles out". Don't you wish you had GG's problems, everybody?

Gilbert
post #189 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This time, it's Waubonsee College out in Sugar Grove, west of Aurora.
At a scant 1 kw, their analog signal barely covers their city of license,
Sugar Grove (although they do have an application to go 23 kw). But, their
new application on channel 40 to flash-cut to digital goes almost all the
way north to I-90, covers DeKalb and Sycamore and west of Waterman on the
west, and as far east as Naperville.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1173695.html

They have to protect the 8 kw TBN low-power DTV translator on 40 as well,
thus the crimped signal to the east.

I updated:

http://weather.niu.edu/dtvstations.xls

and the list on page 1 to show the new proposed station.

Gilbert
post #190 of 12179 Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Hello all,
We will be making some minor changes to 26.1 and its 5.1 audio. In the next week our 5.1 audio will be a more descrete 5.1. I don't have an exact date yet on the transition but its very soon. Hope you enjoy the new "Sound" of WCIU-HD. I will post once the change has been made and viewer comments are encouraged.

Those of us with Dish Network 622 receivers are still unable to receive 26.1-26.3. Any progress to report??
post #191 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks909 View Post

Those of us with Dish Network 622 receivers are still unable to receive 26.1-26.3. Any progress to report??

Out of yucks, have you tried entering in 27.1??? Got a wierd encoder problem that's affecting newer generation chipsets that when you re-scan we show up as 27.1, 2, and 3. The VIP-622 problem quite posibly could be related to the same encoder issue. We've analyzed our PSIP six was from sunday and compared it to everyone else in Chicago and there's nothing wrong with it. Hopefully I'll have some good news soon.

"Celebrating 15 years of searching for new and inovative ways to completely screw up television"

post #192 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try us now.

post #193 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Try us now.

Since there are some people from the station I want to ask that questions out of curiosity.. Why all of the local stations in Chicagoland have so many informercials on Saturday / Sunday mornings... I do not recall seeing that many in New York?

What is different about programming there and here? There is no good progamming for these timeslots? Most poeple are at home at that time....

HD: TOSHIBA HD-A2
TV: PHILIPS 50PF9731
SACD: SONY AVD-S50ES
DAP: PHILIPS Streamium SL-400 (LOSSLESS)
MEDIA SERVER: TwonkyMedia/Buffalo Linkstation
post #194 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by (l)user View Post

Since there are some people from the station I want to ask that questions out of curiosity.. Why all of the local stations in Chicagoland have so many informercials on Saturday / Sunday mornings... I do not recall seeing that many in New York?

What is different about programming there and here? There is no good progamming for these timeslots? Most poeple are at home at that time....

Airtime is much cheaper during these slots.

post #195 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Airtime is much cheaper during these slots.

Yeah, HVS and I were going to do "The Transmitter show" at 2 AM Monday morning with live call-ins, geeking out about the latest MPEG2 decoders, bit-rate allocating, and other burning topics on the mind of Chicagoans. But when he refused to plunk down his $.50, I backed out of it.

Gilbert
post #196 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Still would be more interesting than what's already on there then.

I seriously doubt if there are that many people out there truly in dire need of any high-colonics .
post #197 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't recall ever having problems with 26 on my 622 (had it for a little over a year now); granted I don't watch it very much. I just checked again and I have solid reception. Signal is in the 90s with RS double bow tie, 28 miles straight shot from the tower.

PS. I've never had to tune it in manually; I rescanned just a week ago when I had the receiver replaced.

E
post #198 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post

I don't recall ever having problems with 26 on my 622 (had it for a little over a year now); granted I don't watch it very much. I just checked again and I have solid reception. Signal is in the 90s with RS double bow tie, 28 miles straight shot from the tower.

PS. I've never had to tune it in manually; I rescanned just a week ago when I had the receiver replaced.

It seems like its hit or miss. Our IT guru has the 622 and has never had a problem.

post #199 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, HVS and I were going to do "The Transmitter show" at 2 AM Monday morning with live call-ins, geeking out about the latest MPEG2 decoders, bit-rate allocating, and other burning topics on the mind of Chicagoans. But when he refused to plunk down his $.50, I backed out of it.

LMAO.

post #200 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm new to the forum, so please let me know if I'm posting this question in the wrong place.

I recently had a DirecTV HD20 DVR installed and I put a Winegard SharpShooter in the attic for OTA reception. The SharpShooter works at least 90% of the time, but I'd like to have 100% reliability.

Since my house is small, I don't want a huge roof antenna taking over. I was considering the Winegard Sensar III GS-2200 because I don't need a big performance boost -- too bad the SharpShooter isn't waterproof.

If I believe the ads, the Sensar is good for 45 miles. I'm 21 miles due West of Sears Tower. Winegard has a 38" pipe mount (DS-3000) that should also be good enough.

Does anyone in Chicagoland have experience with the Sensar?
post #201 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 04:15 PM

My experience with the amplified Sensar II at 30 feet up outdoors has shown that it will consistently pull in WBBM DT-3 with booming signal strength in Arlington Heights. I've found it to be a very good VHF antenna that defies the logic that you would normally need to be bigger to be better. However, it is not as good with the UHF, where I've found that when the thing is properly aimed for the majority of the other stations aside from WBBM, I get some annoying drop outs on WGN during oddball atmospheric conditions and WCPX doesn't always lock. It also picks up from the rear, which means that the PSIP info for WCIU screws up half the time. At least it's discreet enough not to tick off your neighbors though, and it blends right in with their satellite dishes.
post #202 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Can you fit a bigger antenna in your attic, something like this perhaps http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ntPage=family? Even the smaller VU-75 might do it, as usual WBBM is going to be the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakers12 View Post

I recently had a DirecTV HD20 DVR installed and I put a Winegard SharpShooter in the attic for OTA reception. The SharpShooter works at least 90% of the time, but I'd like to have 100% reliability.

post #203 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Isn't the angular difference between the '**** and the Sears insignificant all the way out in Wilmington?
post #204 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 05:12 PM

OK, that's supposed to be Hancock.
post #205 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 PM

LOL,
Swalve, I just tuned in too ask the same question. As I was thinking about that same thing today, what could it be? A 1/4 inch turn in a 50 mile projection might possible get me pointing to the middle of Lake Michigan or Ohare . I realize that is overstated, but the Hancock and Sears are pretty much in line to me as the crow flies.

I'm probably a good 40' up with my antenna, but if anything that (I assume) should be to my advantage.

post #206 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalve View Post

Isn't the angular difference between the '**** and the Sears insignificant all the way out in Wilmington?

Even for me in Crystal Lake its like a half of a degree. Nothing to sneeze at.

post #207 of 12179 Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM

My biggest worries are that I won't get enough altitude from the roof of my single-story house and there are trees on the next block. Antennaweb org shows my stations are in the yellow, green and red zones.

If channel 2.1 is a problem, I can live with it because I get that on the dish. But 5.2, 7.2, 9.2, 11.1 and 11.3 have to come in OTA. The Hancock is 4 degrees North from the Sears Tower for me, but 20.1 comes in OK from the Hancock on the SharpShooter.

I could get all these with a UHF antenna, but if some channels move back to VHF in a couple years, I don't want to be back at square one.

My thinking is that I just need a slightly better signal than what I'm getting now. Maybe I should order a Sensar III from someone with a good return policy. I just wish Winegard would show some specs for the Sensar on their web site.
post #208 of 12179 Old 04-06-2007, 08:42 AM

so, is the resolution change for 26-1 something that is permanent or is it part of the 5.1 upgrade mentioned earlier?

tickled to be here
post #209 of 12179 Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr74 View Post

so, is the resolution change for 26-1 something that is permanent or is it part of the 5.1 upgrade mentioned earlier?

Yes part of the upgrade. 26.1 was relocated to a backup encoder so work on the 5.1 audio on the primary encoder can be done without interrupting programming. Should be back to 720p by the end of day.

post #210 of 12179 Old 04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

WCIU-HD 5.1 audio upgrade should be complete for the home Bulls game on Tuesday. Cross you fingers.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page