AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - OTA

2M views 15K replies 680 participants last post by  Mike Beranek 
#1 · (Edited)
#10,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdavis /forum/post/21029976

Excellent advice and 100% true.

Amazing how many people, here and elsewhere, beat their heads against the wall with junk antennas, or put in in a closet - and then complain about the lousy results.

It ain't rocket science

It's like my Winegard HD-1080 antenna that I have outside, I bought it mainly for WYIN, since Solidsignal.com had free shipping on it 2 years ago. I tried it out on Chicago stations, & I got WLS-TV on RF 7 with it, but lost WBBM-TV with it after 3 days. After that, I decided not to get another 1080, & just use the one I already have for WYIN. For me, I need a separate UHF antenna for WYIN, due to my main combo antenna can't lock in their signal with it pointed at Chicago. For me, whenever I have to replace my antenna, it will have VHF on it, because I need CBS, & not expect an antenna made for UHF to get a VHF station. Since I would like to watch America One from time to time, I will be getting one optimized for VHF-Lo, so I can get WOCK-CD (like my existing combo antenna already does, since I used it for analog TV & continue to use it for digital). I do not feel sorry for those who refuse to get a better VHF antenna to get 1 or 2 VHF stations in the market. Someone from Hammond posted on here a while back got the Antennacraft Y5-7-13, since that poster couldn't get CBS, but got everything else with a set of rabbit ears. That person added the Antennacraft to the rabbit ears, & got CBS inside the apartment, with the antenna inside.

#10,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdavis /forum/post/21029976

Excellent advice and 100% true.

Amazing how many people, here and elsewhere, beat their heads against the wall with junk antennas, or put in in a closet - and then complain about the lousy results.

It ain't rocket science

Having to have a separate VHF antenna for ONE station can be a pain in the ass. What I really wanted to know when I posted was more information regarding WBBM and a possible move of fill-in in the UHF band. Some people were kind enough to answer that. I also posted additional information about my setup, as other people may find it useful at some point, not because I need any help with my setup.

I've done plenty of research and am well aware of what will and will not work in order to get solid reception on WBBM at it's current VHF frequency at my location. Also, the information about people needing an OUTDOOR antenna is completely arbitrary, as it partially depends on local conditions. For people with situations similar to mine, a good UHF/VHF antenna IN the roof will work fine for WBBM reception in a lot of cases.

My UHF antenna works great from within a closet, it cost perhaps $25 on eBay, and I don't have to got to the trouble of assembling a larger antenna and mounting it in or on my roof, unless I REALLY want WBBM that bad, which at this point, I don't.

If there is anything to complain about, it's WBBM and it's inability to get with the program and supply a good signal in the UHF band, or useless forum post, such as your last one.

#10,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_ /forum/post/21028005

The question then becomes, is it worth it to me to put a UHF/VHF antenna in my attic JUST to get WBBM? A few days ago I was thinking yes, but since all I REALLY care about are Bears games, and there's only 2 on WBBM this season, I'm now heavily leaning towards no. I wish they were on UHF, and I was hoping that the RF 26 fill-in translator would resolve that, but if it's going to be pointed east or south-east, then it's useless to me; if they do point some of it west, even if it's not VERY strong, I think my chances are decent.

They are going to put the antenna essentially at the I-90/94 split oriented towards the loop (SE). The UHF translator is to get into the urban canyon. Suburbanites will have to make VHF work.

#10,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm_ /forum/post/21030688

Having to have a separate VHF antenna for ONE station can be a pain in the ass. What I really wanted to know when I posted was more information regarding WBBM and a possible move of fill-in in the UHF band. Some people were kind enough to answer that. I also posted additional information about my setup, as other people may find it useful at some point, not because I need any help with my setup.

I've done plenty of research and am well aware of what will and will not work in order to get solid reception on WBBM at it's current VHF frequency at my location. Also, the information about people needing an OUTDOOR antenna is completely arbitrary, as it partially depends on local conditions. For people with situations similar to mine, a good UHF/VHF antenna IN the roof will work fine for WBBM reception in a lot of cases.

My UHF antenna works great from within a closet, it cost perhaps $25 on eBay, and I don't have to got to the trouble of assembling a larger antenna and mounting it in or on my roof, unless I REALLY want WBBM that bad, which at this point, I don't.

If there is anything to complain about, it's WBBM and it's inability to get with the program and supply a good signal in the UHF band, or useless forum post, such as your last one.

PM,

The broadcast band extends upward into the VHF-LO and high bands. It is not WBBM's issue to move to UHF except for convenience, and they have chosen not to. One could, IMO, legitimately argue that 8 kilowatts on channel 12 is too low---you'd have no argument from me there. WWTO-DT in Ottawa, with a transmitter just southeast of Starved Rock in Utica (seen from that rock with the silver strobes to the east-southeast) is at 80 kilowatts at 1400'. You can get them in Peoria without much hassle, 70 miles away. But, as others have noted, as they are now---WBBM, using a proper antenna, can be reached in South Bend with a little interference from a station in far northeastern Indiana. I can get it in DeKalb with no problem with a good VHF antenna in my attic, and I'm low in elevation, one of the lower spots in town.

And as for dissing lgdavis, he's an excellent broadcast engineer, one of several on this board. Be careful who you slam here, as you can easily wind up with eggs in your face. From someone whose been there, done that...

Edit: And, if the FCC repacks and tells stations they can only be on channels 2-30, you'll want a good VHF antenna, trust me.

#10,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21032461

Edit: And, if the FCC repacks and tells stations they can only be on channels 2-30, you'll want a good VHF antenna, trust me.

Time is ticking on the current administration and FCC Juliius G to do this... tick tock, tick tock... My money is that they will run out of time. They already got 108 MHz a few years ago. The NAB will put up a strong fight and draw it out for years.

#10,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink /forum/post/21039113

Bears fans in Chicagoland, I hear that HVS might be putting in some overtime on 10/10/11 since The "U" is going to be handling the OTA broadcast for MNF that night.

I've heard that rumor too.

#10,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley /forum/post/21041084

HVS?

He's one of the top dog and very fine (and cool) engineers at Weigel Broadcasting, aka WCIU-DT, WWME, etc etc. When the Lions choke and Hester does another 100-yarder, we're trying to get him to do instant replays of the Hawks crushing Detroit in the NHL playoffs a few years ago, just to rub it in.

#10,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21041331

He's one of the top dog and very fine (and cool) engineers at Weigel Broadcasting, aka WCIU-DT, WWME, etc etc. When the Lions choke and Hester does another 100-yarder, we're trying to get him to do instant replays of the Hawks crushing Detroit in the NHL playoffs a few years ago, just to rub it in.

Ah...good stuff. I'm a little worried about the Lions though. Remember what happened last year, the Bears got a very lucky break in that game.

#10,733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21041331

Careful now, Red Wings fans might have a copy of that "certain" video of you two they'll use against you!!!

#10,735 ·
is anyone else having issues with 3 ota stations ...

wgn tv rf 19-1, and antenna tv

wls on rf 44

wbbm on rf 12

also rf 39 which i know is low power has gone out this morning as well...

i have been having these issues for several days, even when the weather was cooler and torpo was not a factor....

now i get no signal.... or a very week signal... i did not have these issues in the summer except on a rare occasion, live in the city limits, northside near the lake in a highrise...

any help would be appreciated

#10,737 ·
that time of year again ...

with the end of daylight savings in a few weeks, some of the OTA stations have

already gone back to the standard time setting ....

half-asleep and push a button .... oh i got an extra hour to doze !!!

then ... eh what? METOO has Superman on ? uh oh better hurry so not to be late

kd9fz

comments, criticisms and questions of sanity are always welcome

#10,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by judget /forum/post/21046942

wls on rf 44

wbbm on rf 12

i have been having these issues for several days, even when the weather was cooler and torpo was not a factor....

now i get no signal.... or a very week signal... i did not have these issues in the summer except on a rare occasion, live in the city limits, northside near the lake in a highrise...

I haven't had any problems with WGN-TV on RF 19 or WBBM-TV on RF 12. The only problem I have with WLS-TV on RF 44 Has been their audio dropping out from time to time. I don't know if they turned RF 7 back on, since the old channel 7 antenna was removed from the east tower, & would have to go back to using the channel 7 antenna that they used from 1973 to 1982 on the west tower. Since I believe that WLS-TV isn't really serious about getting off the VHF, I believe they should have just gone with a translator for the downtown area, & sought a power increase for RF 7. Besides, I hears in a few cases, that WLS-TV could be picked up in South Bend better with the 4.75kw signal than the RF 44 signal. I'm having better luck getting them on RF 44 since the new antenna was put in as well as when they broadcasted on the John Hancock. I still prefer them on RF 7.

#10,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by judget /forum/post/21046942

wls on rf 44

wbbm on rf 12

I haven't noticed any reception problems lately on any of the above mentioned channels.