AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - OTA

2M views 15K replies 680 participants last post by  Mike Beranek 
#1 · (Edited)
#10,842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/21354258

So, only a couple of more weeks to go, and I'll most likely be losing channel 24.

(I hear they're upping their power, though, so I haven't given up all hope yet.)

Ramm,

If you could receive WCIU at 15.1 kw back in the day...you should be able to get WPVN. I can lock WMEU's LD signal on 32 and WWME's signal on 39 at night, and intermittently during the day out here. Given my proximity to WBUW, I'm pleasantly surprised. I must be in kind of a dead spot for 39.

BTW, where'd you hear WPVN was weeks away from moving? Edit #2: Never mind, it's on their website.

Edit #3: They're going from 10 kw to 15 kw. BUT...far, far more importantly, they're going from 250' to nearly 1800'. THAT'S killer.

#10,843 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/21352425

For you in a way, you have 3 markets you can get stations: South Bend (primary coverage in all UHF), Grand Rapids/Kalmazoo, & Chicago, & have a big selection. I envy you on that.

I do have a CM 3018 which does well for Chicago and South Bend. Right now I am getting both cities with the exception of WGN ch 9 which for me is always the odd channel to get. If I point the antenna to get ch9, I lose almost half the channels from Chicago.

I got the MXU-59 to get 17.1 out of GR and to see what else it will get. I rarely get 17.1 and WOOD 8.1 now so if this doesn't work the next step would be an 8 bay screen reflector.

Having so much to choose from is a problem in itself; I waste a lot of time spinning the rotor and then the mandatory rescan of the tuner.

#10,844 ·
bounce tv is dead ?

as in gone forever?

i know there was the carrier on all the 23.x channels yesterday

with no signal .. and now 23.2 is missing .... 23.1 and 23.3 are still there

my soul train, soul train *sob*

kd9fz

comments, criticisms and questions of sanity are always welcome

#10,845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21329378

Hey everyone,

I have now confirmed from a very reliable source that WLS is replacing their antenna by the end of the year on Willis Tower. I am now doubting my other source saying that WMAQ is replacing theirs, even though he is usually very reliable. It is quite possible that the antenna maker folks meant to say WLS instead of WMAQ. But here's what I know for sure:

1. WLS *will* be replacing their antenna using a helicopter in two stages in overnight work by the end of this year;

2. Another source is telling me WMAQ is doing the same thing, and despite hearing it from the people who are doing it, I think there's something wrong with it. I'll be checking into this further.

As it stands, I have edited the original post to reflect the correct information.

Does this mean that WLS is turning of ch 7 and using just ch 44 now and removing the duplicates?

#10,846 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorBS /forum/post/21355199

I do have a CM 3018 which does well for Chicago and South Bend. Right now I am getting both cities with the exception of WGN ch 9 which for me is always the odd channel to get. If I point the antenna to get ch9, I lose almost half the channels from Chicago.

I got the MXU-59 to get 17.1 out of GR and to see what else it will get. I rarely get 17.1 and WOOD 8.1 now so if this doesn't work the next step would be an 8 bay screen reflector.

Having so much to choose from is a problem in itself; I waste a lot of time spinning the rotor and then the mandatory rescan of the tuner.

WOOD-TV 8.1 is VHF on RF 7, and next to impossible to get on most UHF only antennas. WXMI 17.1 & WGN-TV 9.1 are both on RF 19, & that alone makes it difficult to get either one interference free for your area. As for rescanning when you rotate the antenna shouldn 't totally be necessary. If your TV or converter box allows for you to enter the RF channel manually, 'm go that route, instead of rescanning the channels everytime the antennna gets rotated.

#10,849 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21354325

Ramm,

If you could receive WCIU at 15.1 kw back in the day...you should be able to get WPVN. I can lock WMEU's LD signal on 32 and WWME's signal on 39 at night, and intermittently during the day out here. Given my proximity to WBUW, I'm pleasantly surprised. I must be in kind of a dead spot for 39.

BTW, where'd you hear WPVN was weeks away from moving? Edit #2: Never mind, it's on their website.

Edit #3: They're going from 10 kw to 15 kw. BUT...far, far more importantly, they're going from 250' to nearly 1800'. THAT'S killer.

You and me both. When I had WWME-LD on my converter box, it would clash constantly with WIFR. Always had to punch in WIFR's RF channel to get it. Did a rescan during the day (so I could get WIFR at its "proper" spot) and luckily WWME-LD didn't show up.

I still don't get why all the WCIU subs still have their analog channels going when the digital signal on "26" is so much stronger, even 60 miles away from the antenna.

#10,850 ·
I just did a rescan of my OTA channels, and I am picking up this channel 4 with 5 subchannels. Where is this channel coming from? 4-1 is a spanish channel, 4-2 is some home shopping network type of channel in English, 4-3 is a spanish channel, 4-4 is a spanish channel, and with 4-5, nothing shows up. I have never seen this before, and it isn't mentioned on the front page listing of Chicago locals, so I assume I am picking this up from somewhere else?

#10,853 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyfrog /forum/post/21361476

I just did a rescan of my OTA channels, and I am picking up this channel 4 with 5 subchannels. Where is this channel coming from? 4-1 is a spanish channel, 4-2 is some home shopping network type of channel in English, 4-3 is a spanish channel, 4-4 is a spanish channel, and with 4-5, nothing shows up. I have never seen this before, and it isn't mentioned on the front page listing of Chicago locals, so I assume I am picking this up from somewhere else?

That is WOCK-CD, the 300 watt blowtorch from the Hancock on channel 4.

#10,855 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyfrog /forum/post/21361476

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21363574

That is WOCK-CD, the 300 watt blowtorch from the Hancock on channel 4.

I doubt that, because WOCK-CD's physical channel is 4; its virtual channel is 13, so it shows up as 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, and 13.4, and it has no 13.5.  Also, only 13.2 is not a home shopping channel but the digital feed of WOCH, usually in Korean; and 13.4 is AmericaOne, almost always in English.

The only resemblances to WOCK-CD are that its .1 (MegaTV) and .3 (LATV) are indeed in Spanish, though from what I remember LATV has a lot of English.  When I tune it in nowadays (depending on receivability, which is intermittent for me), LATV often has infomercials in English.

#10,856 ·
Here is a link to an article that explains how and why TV broadcasters are possibly being asked to give up some of it's spectrum.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9RLP7481.html

The disagreement I have with the article is how many people use OTA broadcasts. 10% would seem abit low. I don't think 90% of the households exclusively use satellite or cable.

#10,857 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen /forum/post/21365524

Here is a link to an article that explains how and why TV broadcasters are possibly being asked to give up some of it's spectrum.
http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9RLP7481.html

The disagreement I have with the article is how many people use OTA broadcasts. 10% would seem abit low. I don't think 90% of the households exclusively use satellite or cable.

You are correct. Some estimates have OTA exclusive usage at ~15%, but there are a large number of the ~85% with a pay provider that also use OTA. I've read those estimates at another 15% to 20%, making a total of 30% to 35% of all TV viewing households that use OTA in one form or another.

#10,858 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/21365627

You are correct. Some estimates have OTA exclusive usage at ~15%, but there are a large number of the ~85% with a pay provider that also use OTA. I've read those estimates at another 15% to 20%, making a total of 30% to 35% of all TV viewing households that use OTA in one form or another.

~105 million households subscribe to a pay TV service per http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ly-2011/98508/ That's out of ~115 million TV households. Also note that not all TV households have OTA/broadcast nets. CBS's coverage is ~99%, NBC and ABC are ~98%, FOX is ~97%, and CW is ~95%.

#10,859 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/21364865

I doubt that...

I'm guessing that it was. Lots of ATSC tuners will on occasion enter stations under their physical channel #'s (some of the ones I've owned have).

I don't know if it's when the station's PSIP is messed up, or what. I've even heard about multipath causing it. May be just crappy tuners. It has seemed to get more common since they started being made cheaper in China.