AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - OTA

2M views 15K replies 680 participants last post by  Mike Beranek 
#1 · (Edited)
#10,961 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar /forum/post/0

Possibly viewers watching NFL on FOX 32 would appreciate not having artifacts introduced by a dot2 while viewers of Law and Order reruns on 50 could tolerate artifacts from a dot2.

FOX uses a technology called a splicer that has fixed bandwidth for HD and a subchannel. The bandwidth is already carved up. I note the sub will have to be SD though

#10,964 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky snooper /forum/post/21578906

FOX uses a technology called a splicer that has fixed bandwidth for HD and a subchannel. The bandwidth is already carved up. I note the sub will have to be SD though
Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliebob99 /forum/post/21579803

Having an ear close to the situation, both channels are getting a sub, different services! That's all I can say..... and it isn't official. Cough cough! :)

If Snooper and Bob are right, and if the technology to which Snooper refers is on use on WPWR as well as WFLD, then it doesn't matter whether MundoFOX turns up on 32.2 or 50.2.

#10,965 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/21580946

If Snooper and Bob are right, and if the technology to which Snooper refers is on use on WPWR as well as WFLD, then it doesn't matter whether MundoFOX turns up on 32.2 or 50.2.

It does matter, because if one is broadcasting in HD, it would have to go to 50.2. You can at least do widescreen on WPWR's equipment, I'm guessing, much like 5.2 does.

#10,967 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/21581261

It does matter, because if one is broadcasting in HD, it would have to go to 50.2. You can at least do widescreen on WPWR's equipment, I'm guessing, much like 5.2 does.

You can technically do two 720P channels in one spot, look at WLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/21582307

They have different equipment?* OK, thanks for explaining that.* I'm surprised, especially that the better equipment would be at WPWR rather than WFLD.

Even so, will MundoFOX be in HD anyway?

Same equipment, different racks! LOL Your probably seeing a bit rate difference.

Back into silence mode!
Speculate away!

#10,968 ·
FOX probably has what it takes (out of the rest of the OTA networks, ignoring Telemundo/NBC) to launch a Spanish network. It's already got soccer contracts for its cable outlets, for one, and MyNetworkTV scored well initially in Hispanic markets with its telenovelas. But I hope they managed to learn some lessons from the MyNetworkTV failure, both about competing with yourself and about ambition/Murphy's Law. I remember that MyNetworkTV was intended to be profitable from day one (and it was on course to, until the actors unionized).

Of course, competing with yourself may not be as big of an issue here as it was with MNTV. If two markets are mutually exclusive (like men's razors vs women's razors), you don't really need to worry too much about self-cannibalization. So, how separate are the two markets? A majority of English speakers in the US probably do not know Spanish well enough to follow Spanish TV, but I suspect that a larger percentage (maybe even a majority) of the Spanish speakers in the US know enough English to follow English TV. But I don't know enough about the TV watching habits of people (of either language) who watch Spanish TV to be able to conclusively state that.

#10,971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/21583508

RIP: Don Cornelius (1936-2012).

Started out Soul Train on WCIU-TV! And, he did double duty at the time, doing "Black's View Of The News"...

http://fuzzymemories.tv/#videoclip-3191

Just below the camera was a speakerphone, and a microphone!

And then it got moved to WGN, and the rest was history.

#10,975 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnielsen /forum/post/21594137

[WPVN] must have been testing the Trump Tower location recently. I had been picking up the station with the antenna pointing tward the city. Now I have to point it back to Schaumburg to get a signal.

I doubt that that's the reason.  If they were broadcasting from Trump Tower, surely I'd get them here with our antenna pointing from the Northwest Side toward the old stick site at the Prudential Building, which does fine with stations atop Willis Tower or the Hancock Center.  But I haven't been able to pull WPVN in for weeks.

Meanwhile, W25DW, WOCK, and (even though I'm north of Dakin Street) WCHU have been coming in more reliably than before.

#10,976 ·
I doubt mundoFOX will succeed if they fill their programming with unnecessary racial stereotypes and portrayals like they're currently doing with the animation domination, its almost unbearable to watch because of it.

Anyway is anyone having problems with WGN today? Just completely lost reception on it (and in a weird way) its usually the strongest signal here, everything else I normally get with the terk HDTVi is still coming in.

#10,977 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 /forum/post/21598552

Anyway is anyone having problems with WGN today? Just completely lost reception on it (and in a weird way) its usually the strongest signal here, everything else I normally get with the terk HDTVi is still coming in.

Bulls game is on atm.

#10,978 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 /forum/post/21598552

I doubt mundoFOX will succeed if they fill their programming with unnecessary racial stereotypes and portrayals like they're currently doing with the animation domination, its almost unbearable to watch because of it.

WGN coming in clear for me

#10,980 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongyfungy /forum/post/21598603

WGN coming in clear for me

It'll come in clear and then go right back out, weird
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/21598654

Having three Seth MacFarlane productions will do that.

I really think he has a problem with race or something, what is the point in having persistent racial stereotypes and portrayals across all shows and in every single episode and its not just those shows even napoleon dynamite has them.