AVS Forum banner

Chicago, IL - OTA

2M views 15K replies 680 participants last post by  Mike Beranek 
#1 · (Edited)
#12,241 ·
"Countdown To" Decades is now running on WBBM 2-2. Currently airing a "binge" of The Doris Day Show. They are broadcasting in 16x9 stretch-o-vision.

Not certain if this was mentioned, but I noticed WXFT has made some changes. 60.2 is now a simulcast of WGBO, in HD. 60.3 is a network called ESCAPE.

Yes, I noticed this also one day last week. I wonder what's up with that move?

#12,243 ·
"Countdown To" Decades is now running on WBBM 2-2. Currently airing a "binge" of The Doris Day Show. They are broadcasting in 16x9 stretch-o-vision.

Yes, I noticed this also one day last week. I wonder what's up with that move?
Should be 16x9 SD, not stretch-o-vision.

#12,244 ·
Should be 16x9 SD, not stretch-o-vision.
Indeed I am receiving the signal as 16x9 480i. Promos display proper aspect ratio of 4x3 but all episodes I watched of Bilko and Doris Day Show employed some kind of stretch and or zoom effect. Just doesn't look right unless I change both of my tv sets to "normal" instead of 16x9. Just my observations. :)

#12,245 ·
Indeed I am receiving the signal as 16x9 480i. Promos display proper aspect ratio of 4x3 but all episodes I watched of Bilko and Doris Day Show employed some kind of stretch and or zoom effect. Just doesn't look right unless I change both of my tv sets to "normal" instead of 16x9. Just my observations. :)
All promomotional content is 16x9. Shows should show up generally 4x3 at this point. Some TV's don't handle AFD very well like the 3 Samsung's I own but I assure you, everything should show up as intended. Nothing is stretched.

#12,249 ·
Well, nice to see at least one other person agrees with me. :)
Ok so I finally got a good look at 2.2 and I agree with what you found. I've forwarded on the findings to the appropriate people.

#12,251 ·
Thanks hvs10trk, perhaps things can now be straightened out so we can enjoy the channel properly. Really appreciate you looking into the situation.
Thanks for pointing it out!

#12,252 ·
MeTV radio to launch in March
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91941/87-7-metv-fm-chicago-to-launch-in-march/

Weigel Broadcasting has announced it will launch Soft Oldies “87.7 MeTV FM” WRME-LP Chicago in March. Positioned as a radio companion to the MeTV television network, the new station will be 70s centric with a “broad range of music skewing on the pop/softer side including singer/songwriters, album tracks and hits deemed “oldies” by some programmers but considered gold by our target audience.” Neal Sabin, Vice Chairman of Weigel Broadcasting is the ‘architect’ of the new format. The station, which currently simulcasts Tribune Talk 720 WGN, will change call letters from WGWG-LP to WRME-LP.

Guess its on analog channel 6

#12,255 ·
MeTV radio to launch in March
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/91941/87-7-metv-fm-chicago-to-launch-in-march/

Weigel Broadcasting has announced it will launch Soft Oldies “87.7 MeTV FM” WRME-LP Chicago in March. Positioned as a radio companion to the MeTV television network, the new station will be 70s centric with a “broad range of music skewing on the pop/softer side including singer/songwriters, album tracks and hits deemed “oldies” by some programmers but considered gold by our target audience.” Neal Sabin, Vice Chairman of Weigel Broadcasting is the ‘architect’ of the new format. The station, which currently simulcasts Tribune Talk 720 WGN, will change call letters from WGWG-LP to WRME-LP.

Guess its on analog channel 6
Aren't LPTV stations required to convert to digital broadcasting pretty soon? When that happens, will the station's audio still be available on conventional FM radio?

#12,256 ·
The transition date was suspended indefinitely lest the investment be stranded due to the incentive auction.

Class A stations (W35AX, WAOH, etc.) are still bound to the September 1, 2015 date since they will be protected and compensated for relocation costs in the incentive auction.

- Trip

#12,257 ·
That whole thing with the frequency of the audio carrier for an analog TV station on RF 6 being so close to the low end of the FM radio band creates a strange regulatory situation. It allows companies to use a TV broadcasting license to essentially run a radio station operating just a bit below 88 MHz.

Maybe those stations should be required to have a radio license as well as a TV license.

#12,260 ·
Passing thought why not use 23.3 as a simulcast for 87.7 MeTv Fm?
Considering the video they're currently supplying on NTSC 6, it's no loss.  It would be nice if artist/title info were displayed on screen (not that the previous incarnations of 87.7 ever did) or were available on their web site.  I recognize maybe 80% of the songs they play.

They also can't seem to decide whether to tout their web site as metv.fm or metvfm.com (both work; the latter redirects to the former).