The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still in the process of reading the earlier posts in this thread. It would be helpful to me for someone to define:

MUF
STA

Also, does anyone know why there is no channel 37 in use (I see this in several posts).

Thanks in advance.

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_h2 View Post

I am still in the process of reading the earlier posts in this thread. It would be helpful to me for someone to define:
MUF
STA
Also, does anyone know why there is no channel 37 in use (I see this in several posts).

I think in this context, MUF stands for Most Usable Frequency. STA = Special Temporary Authority.

Channel 37 is a reserved frequency band for radio astronomy. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_37.

I have skimmed the FCC document. Quite a lot of interesting material in it which I imagine the station engineers, management, lawyers, and consultants around the US are carefully studying to see how it effects their station.

There is a entire paragraph (#58) on WTVA-DT 8, Tupelo, Mississippi, an NBC affiliate which takes the station to the woodshed. They "will remain admonished and on a remedial program with respect to the construction of its post-transition facility". Remedial program? Is this like getting sent off to a detention class? Glad it is not my NBC affiliate as it has no digital signal at all.
post #363 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

MUF stands for Most Usable Frequency

MUF = Maximum Usable Frequency. The highest frequency you can use for a certain distance.

Quote:

I have skimmed the FCC document. Quite a lot of interesting material in it which I imagine the station engineers, management, lawyers, and consultants around the US are carefully studying to see how it effects their station.

That is why I read all 156 pages and am/will continue to reference it for a while I suspect!

Quote:

There is a entire paragraph (#58) on WTVA-DT 8, Tupelo, Mississippi, an NBC affiliate which takes the station to the woodshed. They "will remain admonished and on a remedial program with respect to the construction of its post-transition facility". Remedial program? Is this like getting sent off to a detention class? Glad it is not my NBC affiliate as it has no digital signal at all.

In this context, the FCC means the station has to report their progress every 30 days and the FCC then evaluates if they have done enough and if not, the FCC can place sanctions or revocate the authorization. It is NOT something a station wants to be on. When license renewal comes around things like this weigh in on the outcome if a station has been a "license holder in good faith." If the FCC decides not, the license isn't renewed and the station goes out of business. It is serious stuff.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #364 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

It looks like they were covered in a previous order last May. From that order, it appears there may actually be seven:

KUAM-DT, Agana, Guam: "During the channel election process, the station apparently abandoned its plans [to try to move its DT from channel 2 to channel 10] and elected to return to its analog channel 8. That proposal was accepted by the Commission. In the interim, the station has failed to make any progress on completion of its DTV facilities on channel 2. The station’s only justification is that it will seek Commission approval to flash
cut to channel 8 at the end of the transition, a proposal that was never filed."

"Who cares?", might be their attitude. Oh, they lose their protection rights. Oooh, out in an island in the middle of the Pacific. That'll teach 'em!

Quote:

WDHS-DT, Iron Mountain, MI and WDTV-DT, Weston, WV: "The licensee ... vaguely claims that it cannot install its DTV equipment on its existing towers and is exploring other options for the siting of its permanent DTV facilities."

I can buy that and financial hardship. They should go lower power
until they have the funds to go to full. But they DO need to tell the FCC
what they plan on doing.

Quote:

WTXX-DT, Waterbury, CT: "It claims that it cannot file its application to modify its DTV construction permits to specify its STA facilities because of the Commission’s freeze on the filing of DTV applications. In reality, the station cannot file an application to modify to its STA facility because this move would result in the station causing impermissible interference to another station. It is within the station’s control to either identify a new transmitter site location or submit an application to modify its STA facility to comply with the Commission’s policies and rules."

Yep. Welcome to the crowded northeast...

Gilbert
post #365 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the definitions guys.

How about "CP." What does that stand for in the context of this thread. TIA.

chris
post #366 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Construction Permit
post #367 of 7371 Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

"Who cares?", might be their attitude. Oh, they lose their protection rights. Oooh, out in an island in the middle of the Pacific. That'll teach 'em!

They should care. The value of the station has dropped because of the loss of coverage area. Whatever their digital coverage area is TODAY, is all they will have on Feb 18, 2009. If the station has NO digital signal on the air today (which I think IS the case for the Guam station, need to double check that to be sure), on Feb 18, 2009, they are out of business. And that word from the Report and Order.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #368 of 7371 Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 AM

From what I have read, WDHS (analog) in Iron Mountain, MI is not even on the air most of the time.
post #369 of 7371 Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

They should care. The value of the station has dropped because of the loss of coverage area. Whatever their digital coverage area is TODAY, is all they will have on Feb 18, 2009. If the station has NO digital signal on the air today (which I think IS the case for the Guam station, need to double check that to be sure), on Feb 18, 2009, they are out of business. And that word from the Report and Order.

Ooh! Um, yeah, they should! I thought they had at least an STA going.

Gilbert
post #370 of 7371 Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I would like an opinion from one (or as many as would like to address this) of you experts.

KPXC is an ION affiliate in Denver. It has a digital STA but has never constructed any facilities or been on the air. It also has a construction permit for permanent digital facilities. I was surprised to not see this station specifically mentioned in the Third Periodic Review dated 12-31-07.

Since this station has no digital coverage at this time, are they out of business on 2-17-09? Also, if they could land as a subchannel on some other station's transmitting facilities, what effect would that have on future licensing for permanent digital facilities?
post #371 of 7371 Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

I would like an opinion from one (or as many as would like to address this) of you experts.

KPXC is an ION affiliate in Denver. It has a digital STA but has never constructed any facilities or been on the air. It also has a construction permit for permanent digital facilities. I was surprised to not see this station specifically mentioned in the Third Periodic Review dated 12-31-07.

Since this station has no digital coverage at this time, are they out of business on 2-17-09? Also, if they could land as a subchannel on some other station's transmitting facilities, what effect would that have on future licensing for permanent digital facilities?

Since they are not listed, they must have a waiver from the FCC. Trick is they now have to build their post transition facilities or they WILL be out of business 2/18/2009.

post #372 of 7371 Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Was KPXC at all involved in the Lookout Mountain (S)CARE thing? Because that caused a lot of trouble for broadcasters up there.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #373 of 7371 Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted by Trip in VA:
Quote:

Was KPXC at all involved in the Lookout Mountain (S)CARE thing? Because that caused a lot of trouble for broadcasters up there.

No, KPXC is not part of the Lookout Mountain sCARE thing. They claim they have some legal problems in some of their filings with the FCC. They requested a waiver of the application freeze in January 2007, claiming they have found a new location for their tower but with a corresponding change in coverage area. That request is shown as "accepted for filing" in the FCC database. I can't find any record of it being approved. That's why I thought they might be SOL.
post #374 of 7371 Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Posted by Trip in VA:

No, KPXC is not part of the Lookout Mountain sCARE thing. They claim they have some legal problems in some of their filings with the FCC. They requested a waiver of the application freeze in January 2007, claiming they have found a new location for their tower but with a corresponding change in coverage area. That request is shown as "accepted for filing" in the FCC database. I can't find any record of it being approved. That's why I thought they might be SOL.

Anytime a station timely files something, it stops the clock until it is adjudicated. If KPXC filed a CP mod and the FCC hasn't decided, then they are covered from any other action from the FCC until that is decided.

post #375 of 7371 Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For any users with DeLorme TopoUSA (I'd imagine it'll work with Street Atlas too), I made this handy map with all the digital stations on it.

(I'm also working on a cell tower map and an FM station map, heh)

It's not 100% accurate; I've fudged some tower sites to put fewer dots on the map (for instance, not every station on Mount Wilson comes from one tower, but they're all on the same mountain, so it's really close).

The map does not include analogs, LPTVs, or Class A stations. The scheme goes like this:

CALLS (Ch.#/PSIP#)

So, for instance, in my market, WDBJ-DT is going to be on channel 18, but map to 7-1.

WDBJ (18/7)

But WSET-DT is going to return to its analog channel, 13, and map accordingly, and thus doesn't need its PSIP indicated separately:

WSET (13)

I do hope it's helpful or at least amusing. I have another one that's horribly outdated (probably 2-3 years out of date) and covered in all kinds of random LPTVs and unused towers here and there, and so this is me starting over. I referred to my old one a lot, and once I decide to put in selected LP/CA stations and note some abandoned analog towers that I like having, I'll delete my old map.

Anyway, enjoy!

http://data.quelorant.com/DTVFinal.an1

- Trip

PS: If you catch any inaccuracies, please please please let me know. =) Thanks.

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #376 of 7371 Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Well, in my market there's a channel 2 which is doing digital on channel 51. They have (thankfully!!!!!!!) chosen to stay on 51 after the transition.

I seriously doubt they're ever going to want to start calling themselves "KGAN - CBS 51" when they've been known as 2 for more than a half century.

Digging up an old topic... Seems like some existing UHF Channels might like to re-brand with lower #'s. Major networks on analog UHF channels seem to suffer from a stigma being on UHF. In markets with VHF & UHF major affilates are the any that the UHF network affliates can compete in the news ratings or overall ratings? I think it might level the playing field for stations to have the option to snag a channel # 2 - 13 that is not currently used by a full-power analog station.

I.E. In Atlanta our CBS station is on analog 46. They've updated their look many times, but still lag far behind the VHF ABC, FOX, and NBC ratings. Maybe the FCC should amend the rule to allow stations to officially be able to id themselves by the ch. # their current analog signal is on most cable systems (except when that ch # is the OTA analog # of an existing station). I.E. CBS 46 could be come CBS 9, CW 69 could become CW 10, My 36, could become My 13.

OTA/Satellite users would automatically pick up the new id.

It would be optional as some may not want to spend the $ to rebrand themselves.

I know some do this or something similar already - NBC 7/39 in San Diego, and several of the stations in Fort Meyers and Sarasota, FL.

Seems the incumbent stations and not new ones should have first dibs on these ch #s. I would be a shame for some Low Power shopping channel to snag a prime # assignment.
post #377 of 7371 Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That's a great collection of information, Trip, but your list is very difficult to read without the appropriate map software. I'm not sure what I need to use to read it clearly. I get lots of extraneous characters in it. However, I did find the San Francisco listings for Sutro Tower, Mt. San Bruno and the peaks above Fremont.

There's only one correction to note... along with a short story.

KCSM (43/60) in your list should be just KCSM (43). They turned off their channel 60 analog transmitter atop Mt. San Bruno a few years ago and made arrangements for the local cable systems, DirecTV and Dish to receive their digital signal on channel 43. Channel 43 transmits from Sutro Tower. They then put a very low powered channel 60 transmitter on the air from the college campus that barely covers San Mateo, the city of license. (CSM = College of San Mateo) Their PSIP info is shown as 43.1, 43.2 and 43.3. They dropped all references to channel 60.

The former channel 60 tower on Mt. San Bruno is now the new location of KNTV (12/11).

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #378 of 7371 Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbnimble404 View Post

Maybe the FCC should amend the rule to allow stations to officially be able to id themselves by the ch. # their current analog signal is on most cable systems (except when that ch # is the OTA analog # of an existing station). I.E. CBS 46 could be come CBS 9, CW 69 could become CW 10, My 36, could become My 13.

The current FCC rules require stations to identify as their analog channel number, even after the transition. This is to keep public confusion to a minimum. So a station that was on channel 2 as an analog and then stays on 51 digital, will still be known as channel 2. If a new station (not on pre-transition) comes up on channel 2, they CAN'T call themselves channel 2 but has pick a channel number not in use in the area to be known as. Cable channels aren't in the legal ID mix but some UHF stations are known by their cable channel number, if they can get all of the cablecos to put them on the same channel. WCNC Charlotte is on 36 but calls itself 6News because they are on cable channel 6 in the area.

post #379 of 7371 Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

That's a great collection of information, Trip, but your list is very difficult to read without the appropriate map software. I'm not sure what I need to use to read it clearly. I get lots of extraneous characters in it. However, I did find the San Francisco listings for Sutro Tower, Mt. San Bruno and the peaks above Fremont.

There's only one correction to note... along with a short story.

KCSM (43/60) in your list should be just KCSM (43). They turned off their channel 60 analog transmitter atop Mt. San Bruno a few years ago and made arrangements for the local cable systems, DirecTV and Dish to receive their digital signal on channel 43. Channel 43 transmits from Sutro Tower. They then put a very low powered channel 60 transmitter on the air from the college campus that barely covers San Mateo, the city of license. (CSM = College of San Mateo) Their PSIP info is shown as 43.1, 43.2 and 43.3. They dropped all references to channel 60.

The former channel 60 tower on Mt. San Bruno is now the new location of KNTV (12/11).

Larry
SF

Yes, it requires DeLorme TopoUSA to view (I made it with 5.0, but I imagine should work with newer versions--6.0 and 7.0--as well as with StreetAtlasUSA).

But thanks for the note on KCSM. I wasn't sure if they still mapped to channel 60 or not, so I erred on the side of caution.

If there was another mapping solution that did all of that without an internet connection (sorry Google Earth) and was free, I'd switch and use it instead, especially if it was open source and ran in Linux. But since I've yet to find anything like that, I run this program inside a virtual machine and do my mapping that way.

And as far as the PSIP number discussion, that would create a large amount of problems for people who receive stations from multiple markets. Could you imagine the confusion of people in Bridgeport CT, who would have, for instance:

9-1 MyNet WWOR New York
9-1 MyNet WCTX New Haven

See what I mean? This is why stations have to stick with their analog channel numbers.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #380 of 7371 Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Here in Bakersfield our local ABC station, KERO, broadcasts in analog on channel 23 and digital on RF channel 10 virtual channel 23-1. They have said that post transition, they want to rebrand themselves as ABC10 and map to channel 10-1. They are going to physically remain on channel 10. Is there any chance they will be allowed to do this, or will they still be virtual channel 23-1 200 years from now, long after physical channel 23 has gone dark? I think they should be allowed to map to their actual RF channel of they choose.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #381 of 7371 Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Here in Bakersfield our local ABC station, KERO, broadcasts in analog on channel 23 and digital on RF channel 10 virtual channel 23-1. They have said that post transition, they want to rebrand themselves as ABC10 and map to channel 10-1. They are going to physically remain on channel 10. Is there any chance they will be allowed to do this, or will they still be virtual channel 23-1 200 years from now, long after physical channel 23 has gone dark? I think they should be allowed to map to their actual RF channel of they choose.

As far as I know, the FCC has said they MUST map to their analog channel. That's what the PSIP standard says in it, and the FCC has adopted the PSIP standard as is.

I wonder if the FCC will change their tune after the transition, but for the forseeable future, they are 23-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #382 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

The current FCC rules require stations to identify as their analog channel number, even after the transition. This is to keep public confusion to a minimum. (snip)

I can see where this is supposed to work, but we have a situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area where it could get really confusing. Take a look at what we've got coming up:

KTVU is now on analog 2, digital 56, and will be moving to digital 44.
KBCW is now on analog 44, digital 45, and will be staying on 45.
After the transition KBCW will be iding as 44, while KTVU will be on 44 iding as 2.

KRON is on analog 4, digital 57, and will be moving to digital 38.
KCNS is now on analog 38, digital 39, and will be staying on 39.
After the transition KCNS will be iding at 38, while KRON will be on 38 iding as 4.

KDTV is now on analog 14, digital 51. They're staying on 51.
KTNC is now on analog 42, digital 63, and will be moving to channel 14.
KDTV will be iding as 14, while KTNC on 14 will be iding as 42.

KMTP is now on analog 32, digital 33. They're staying on 33.
KFTY is now on analog 50, digital 54. They're moving to 32.
KMTP will be iding as 32, while KFTY on 32 will be iding at 50.

Sounds like the old "Who's on first?" I think this will be a lot more confusing then letting the stations use their actual channel number. Hopefully, the FCC will change their tune after the transition, so that stations can ID as they wish.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #383 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can see where this is supposed to work, but we have a situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area where it could get really confusing. Take a look at what we've got coming up:

But, this is minding you that any half decent, half modern tuner will handle all the virtualization of the channels for you.
post #384 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 04:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

KTVU is now on analog 2, digital 56, and will be moving to digital 44.
KBCW is now on analog 44, digital 45, and will be staying on 45.
After the transition KBCW will be iding as 44, while KTVU will be on 44 iding as 2.

KRON is on analog 4, digital 57, and will be moving to digital 38.
KCNS is now on analog 38, digital 39, and will be staying on 39.
After the transition KCNS will be iding at 38, while KRON will be on 38 iding as 4.

KDTV is now on analog 14, digital 51. They're staying on 51.
KTNC is now on analog 42, digital 63, and will be moving to channel 14.
KDTV will be iding as 14, while KTNC on 14 will be iding as 42.

KMTP is now on analog 32, digital 33. They're staying on 33.
KFTY is now on analog 50, digital 54. They're moving to 32.
KMTP will be iding as 32, while KFTY on 32 will be iding at 50.

Sounds like the old "Who's on first?" I think this will be a lot more confusing then letting the stations use their actual channel number. Hopefully, the FCC will change their tune after the transition, so that stations can ID as they wish.

Larry
SF

That is why every digital tuner, STB or TV has a scan function and the FCC is requiring stations to use PSIP. If the stations are doing what they are suppose to, the public will hardly even notice after a scan. And remember, in most markets, the majority of viewers are cable or sat and so this will not even be an issue. The FCC has no intentions of changing this either. In the Second DTV Review, the comments on this very issue were taken and this was the conscience of those commenting as the best way to handle this.

This issue is a solution looking for a problem.

post #385 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is why every digital tuner, STB or TV has a scan function and the FCC is requiring stations to use PSIP. If the stations are doing what they are suppose to, the public will hardly even notice after a scan. And remember, in most markets, the majority of viewers are cable or sat and so this will not even be an issue. The FCC has no intentions of changing this either. In the Second DTV Review, the comments on this very issue were taken and this was the conscience of those commenting as the best way to handle this.

This issue is a solution looking for a problem.

No, in some situations this will be a problem. You get 1 station which maps to channel 38, but the scan does not pick up the station that is actually on channel 38. So you now want to find the signal strength for the station that physically is on 38 to see is there is weak signal for which you need to tweak the antenna aim. How do you tell the ATSC tuner that you want to tune to physical channel 38 (or 38.1) and not to the station that is mapped to 38? BTW, all of the ATSC tuners I have used, do not tell you the actual broadcast channel of the station which is a serious design oversight, IMO.

The only to do this, I think, would be to delete the station that is mapped to 38 and then manually tune to 38 (or 38.1) and see what the signal strength meter says. This should work with the two Samsung tuners I use (T451 and H260F), not sure about the Sony HD-DVR. But how is a member of the public supposed to figure out how to get around the channel mapping when the ATSC tuners pretend that the channel mapping is not going on in the first place?
post #386 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, in some situations this will be a problem. You get 1 station which maps to channel 38, but the scan does not pick up the station that is actually on channel 38. So you now want to find the signal strength for the station that physically is on 38 to see is there is weak signal for which you need to tweak the antenna aim. How do you tell the ATSC tuner that you want to tune to physical channel 38 (or 38.1) and not to the station that is mapped to 38? BTW, all of the ATSC tuners I have used, do not tell you the actual broadcast channel of the station which is a serious design oversight, IMO.

The only to do this, I think, would be to delete the station that is mapped to 38 and then manually tune to 38 (or 38.1) and see what the signal strength meter says. This should work with the two Samsung tuners I use (T451 and H260F), not sure about the Sony HD-DVR. But how is a member of the public supposed to figure out how to get around the channel mapping when the ATSC tuners pretend that the channel mapping is not going on in the first place?

As I said in my post, the public will hardly notice and can deal with this. You assume that only blue hairs will have STB's. I can tell you that is CLEARLY not the case. In the last 2 weeks since it was announced the coupons were available the calls I have fielded and answered on line have been with people of all ages who CHOOSE to watch OTA and not pay for cable or sat and they DO have some idea of what is coming. That is not to say that I haven't heard from older viewers, but most of the ones who have called do have children who are helping them so again I don't see this as major stumbling block. My experience so far doesn't reflect your opinion of the situation, much to my relief.

post #387 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How many people are going to know the station is actually on channel 38 anyway?

Even if you allow channels to voluntarily map to their digital channels, I can guarantee that KRON-4 will not rebrand to KRON-38, and will stay as 4-1 until the end of time.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #388 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted by affigatt:
Quote:

BTW, all of the ATSC tuners I have used, do not tell you the actual broadcast channel of the station which is a serious design oversight, IMO.

The E* OTA tuners I have in my ViP211 and 222 show both the actual and remapped channel.
post #389 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Posted by affigatt:

The E* OTA tuners I have in my ViP211 and 222 show both the actual and remapped channel.

Both my TV's show the actual broadcast channel (by Freq. on my Sony and by number on my Westinghouse). However, the computer tuners do not.

On my Fusion USB tuner, I have had it leave the channel map as the RF channel with a "-1."

So, I can see this being a problem occasionally and should not be completely overlooked, especially when one is on the fringes and having difficulty getting a lock.

I am glad to see that the coupon program seems to be getting noticed in other parts of the country, but I remain unconvinced that major problems aren't ahead.

post #390 of 7371 Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

A few months ago, I was disappointed that the FCC did not put the call signs on their Full Power channel election spreadsheet.

I have developed an XL Spreadsheet which has the call signs in addition to other analysis. VHF-LO stations are color coded in red and VHF-HI stations are in yellow for easy reference.

On the 07-09 DTV tab, I have analyzed the movement of existing full power DTV stations. In summary, I have found the following:

Of the 33 DTV stations currently on VHF-LO
  • 15 are remaining on VHF-LO (46%)
    10 are moving to VHF-HI (30%)
    8 are moving to UHF (24%)

Of the 161 DTV stations currently on VHF-HI
  • 2 are moving to VHF-LO (1%)
    156 are remaining on VHF-HI (97%)
    3 are moving to UHF (2%)

Of the 1,360 DTV stations currently on core UHF 14-51
  • 12 are moving to VHF-LO (1%)
    202 are moving VHF-HI (15%)
    1146 are staying on UHF (84%)

Of the 157 DTV stations currently on out of core UHF 52-69
  • 5 are moving to VHF-LO (3%)
    62 are moving to VHF-HI (39%)
    90 are moving to UHF core (57%)

Edit: Out of date spreadsheet removed. Please see the link below for updates:

http://www.rabbitears.info/ss/

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page