The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 7371 Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This spreadsheet includes the following info for full power DTV stations:

Area, call sign, network, 2009 DTV channel, ERP & HAAT and other info

The default view is by # and then by 2009 channel number. This can be changed or filtered using the auto filter drop down arrows at the top. I have found that network affiliations change more often than I had thought, so some may still be out of date. An interesting note is the number of areas with only 1 Full Power VHF station. I have counted 35 in the top 150 that fit this description.

If any corrections are needed, please send me a private message. Thank you.

Granted Form 301's through 9/18/08 (commercial CP's)
Granted Form 340's through 9/18/08 (non-comm. CP's)
Filed Form 302-DTV's through 9/18/08 (licenses to cover)
Filed Form 387's through 9/18/08 (status reports)

Stations operating Post-Transition facilities: 962
Stations to end analog operations early: 107
Stations that have already ended (or will not commence) analog operations: 75

I have moved the spreadsheet to the following location on RabbitEars:

http://www.rabbitears.info/ss/

I am not planning to update this post after today. Please refer to the above link for future updates.

Thank you,

DTV-Channels_9-20-08.zip 243.4169921875k . file

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 7371 Old 01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If I haven't already done so, thanks to Falcon 77 for the spreadsheet!

Just a thought, but perhaps sebenste may want to include a link to Falcon 77's spreadsheet in 1st post of this thread ...

--------------

One thing I found especially interesting while scrolling though the spreadsheet is how *few* markets will be UHF only for full service DTV after analog shut off ... I wonder if many of those relatively few markets that are UHF only for DTV(now or 2/18/09) will "end up" with any VHF LP or "new" VHF DTV stations "someday" ....

Jeff
post #453 of 7371 Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

I have revised the spreadsheet that I posted earlier. The latest revision has every station assigned to a DMA. The default sort is by DMA and then by 2009 channel number.

Thanks for the revised version! Must have been a lot of work!

One idea occurred to me when I was using Excel to compute some stats on the previous version. Is there a list of stations that will have their analog channel or their current digital channel used by another station in their market or within the coverage range of their current broadcast? Strikes me that those stations may have to shut down their analog or in a few cases their current digital channel early in order to free up the frequency space so the other station can start up and check their digital broadcast antenna prior to Feb. 17, 2009?

For example, in the Washington-Baltimore market, WJZ-DT CBS 13 is moving from UHF 38 to VHF 13. WMAR-DT ABC 2 is moving from out-of-core UHF 52 to UHF 38 and I expect is taking over WJZ-DT's current digital transmitters and antenna. Since these stations are both on the same big tower in Baltimore, they may be able to do the big switch on the same day with advance work to be able to run WMAR-DT's signal to the WJZ-DT's current UHF 38 transmitter. Since these are both big four network stations in a top 30 DMA, they will likely work hard to keep the analog signals on the air as long as they can.

There is also WUTB-DT My 24 in Baltimore with the antenna located in Catonsville, MD which is staying on UHF 41 (which is still at STA power of 530 Watts, BTW). WNVC-DT MHz 56 in is currently on out of core UHF 57 with a side mounted antenna at low power, but will move to UHF 41 at 50 kW and from the height numbers, will be using an antenna on top of the tower. WNVC-DT's antenna is in Fairfax, VA, around 37 miles from the WUTB-DT antenna, so WNVC-DT can't go on the air at UHF 24 until WUTB-DT 24 vacates it's analog channel. I'll have to read the FCC document again, but can WNVC-DT 56 force WUTB-DT 24 to shut down it's analog broadcast early so WNVC-DT can fire up test broadcasts ahead of February 17?

I was looking at the spreadsheet and thinking one could write a macro to process the lat, longs, and channel #s to locate other stations within a range, say of 120 km (160 km?) that will have a final digital channel that conflicts with the current analog or digital channel of the station in question. Has anyone tried this? Or is there already a published list of stations that are facing this issue?

The question is not about stations moving their digital channel to their own current analog channel. How to handle that and when to do the switch is up to the station and whatever tower or antenna issues they have to deal with.

I think a list of stations with these transition conflicts might be interesting is this is where the transition process could get very sticky. Looking at the Washington-Baltimore stations, I see another one. WHAG-DT 25 in Hagerstown, MD will move from UHF 55 (at STA power) to UHF 26. However, this occupied by the analog channel for WETA-DT PBS 26 in Washington DC. Anyone have any comments on how this is going to play out?
post #454 of 7371 Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

... I think a list of stations with these transition conflicts might be interesting as this is where the transition process could get very sticky. ... Anyone have any comments on how this is going to play out?

I agree that this is going to be a very interesting year ahead watching all of the changes take effect. There's going to have to be a lot of coordination involved with the channel moves and the antenna changes.

Here in the San Francisco - Sacramento - Monterey area there are several stations moving their digital operation to an existing analog channel:
KTVU 2 now DT 56 is going to 44 now KBCW
KRON 4 now DT 57 is going to 38 now KCNS
KVIE 6 now DT 53 is going to 9 now KQED
KTNC 42 now DT 63 is going to 14 now KDTV
KFTY 50 now DT 54 is going to 32 now KMTP
KTFK 64 now DT 62 is going to 26 now KTSF

KGO 7, KSBW 8, KNTV 10, KQET 25, KICU 36 and KTXL 40 are moving their digital operation to their analog channel.

Several low power digital stations have CPs for channels being vacated.

No stations have yet to apply for channels 2 through 6 in this area.

For a look at the complete list of stations, post transition, for a 100 mile radius from San Francisco, take a look at the bottom of this page: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #455 of 7371 Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

I think a list of stations with these transition conflicts might be interesting is this is where the transition process could get very sticky. ... Anyone have any comments on how this is going to play out?

The FCC stated in the 3rd DTV Review that it is the stations responsiblity to work out any issues of interference pre- or post transition and to co-ordinate with other stations to be sure the station was operating post transition facilities on Feb 18, 2009. if a station wasn't ready on Feb 18, 2009, the station would be off the air until they were ready. Not even an excuse of bad weather would be accepted. That excuse was used as one of the examples. The FCC is very serious on this issue. That is why the FCC has practically thrown out the rule book pre-transition to be sure stations are ready on Feb 18, 2009 and have stiff penalties for those who do not make the Feb 18, 2009 date.

The FCC also said they would allow stations to operate on their post transition facilities pre-transition as long as it didn't cause additional interference to already operating stations (analog or digital), including allowing lower power levels on post transition facilities pre-transition to be sure stations were ready for Feb 18, 2009. You will see some stations off air temporarily pre and post transition getting things ready to go. That is one of the reasons the FCC is being so lenient with the rules pre-transition.

My guess is you MIGHT see the FCC issue a waiver or two for a station or two to remain analog for a max of 6 months, but they would have to protect post transition facilities, If they still can't make it, then they are off the air until they do. In the FCC's own words, you are talking about a 9/11 type situation before the FCC would even entertain such a waiver.

Stations have been forewarned. If they snooze, they loose. What the FCC has put into motion with regard to the relaxation of the rules pre-transition is unprecedented and makes post transition analog waivers almost impossible, by design. It also puts a tremendous responsibility on stations to do the right thing. If broadcasters screw this up, I suspect, the industry will pay for it for years to come.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #456 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I know this small potatoes compared to the broadcasters, but I wonder how many times we (the consumers/ viewers of OTA) are going to have to scan for the DTV stations in January and Febuary 2009 ? This is going to be dependent on how well the stations can coordinate all the shuffling, but I honestly expect to need to rescan 3-4 times for my 7 station market (it would not surprise if it's even more)... I would be pleasantly surprised if it's only once.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #457 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I know this small potatoes compared to the broadcasters, but I wonder how many times we (the consumers/ viewers of OTA) are going to have to scan for the DTV stations in January and Febuary 2009 ? This is going to be dependent on how well the stations can coordinate all the shuffling, but I honestly expect to need to rescan 3-4 times for my 7 station market (it would not surprise if it's even more)... I would be pleasantly surprised if it's only once.

In Raleigh, yeah, you will have to scan a few times to get everyone listed again. You have that 6 way swap going on there and that is going to be a mess!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #458 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looks like the FCC has issued an erratum to their 12/31/07 transition diatribe:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc07228err2.pdf

Most of it minor, it appears.

Gilbert
post #459 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

Just a thought, but perhaps sebenste may want to include a link to Falcon 77's spreadsheet in 1st post of this thread ...

Good thought! And since the previous list was outdated, I replaced it with a link to this. Thanks, Falcon77!!!

Gilbert
post #460 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Looks like the FCC has issued an erratum to their 12/31/07 transition diatribe:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc07228err2.pdf

Most of it minor, it appears.

Thank you for the link.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't appear to have made any changes to the 2009 election table (appendix B of the 8/6/07 report).

post #461 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It is now listed as "in progress."

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=73

I will be curious to see the results of this one. How long do they normally take?

A point I'm not clear on is what will happen to the low power and translator stations in the 52-69 band after 2/17/09. Will they need to vacate on 2/17/09 or will they have additional time like the ones in the core?

post #462 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

In Raleigh, yeah, you will have to scan a few times to get everyone listed again. You have that 6 way swap going on there and that is going to be a mess!

Well - not TOO bad
WUNC 4 , current dig 59, going to 25 (has to be vacated by someone out of RDU)
WRAL 5 current dig 53, going to 48 (has to be vacated by an analog 48 out of market)
WTVD 11, current digital 52, going to 11 - no problem
WNCN 17, current digital 55, going to 17 - no problem
WLFL 22, current digital 57, going to 27, currently the Digital of 28
WRDC 28 current digital 27, going back to 28
22 and 28 are operated by Sinclair
WUNP 36, digital 39, going back to 36
some spanish station in Fayetteville 40, current dig 38, staying on 38
WRAY 30, dig 42, staying dig 42
WRAZ 50, dig 49, staying dig 49
ion 47, dig 15, staying 15
also another ion in Fayetteville 62, I don't know their digital assignment situation

Every so often, I can get other WUNC transmitters analog as well, I can't get any Greenville/points east, and I can usually get a fuzzy 2 out of Greensboro - can't receive their digital on 51.

I'm sure there are other messes like this.

post #463 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking at the Los Angeles DMA, it doesn't appear that we will have many issues like this.

8 stations are going to use their analog channel (4 VHF, 4 UHF).

16 stations are keeping their existing UHF assignment.

This leaves on 2 stations are moving to channels that they don't currently use:

KCBS 2/DT-60 is moving to 43, but they have common ownership with KCAL 9 which is vacating 43 to return to 9.

KRCA 68/DT-45 is moving to 45. The closest station I see there is a full power station in Bakersfield or a low power station in the Palm Springs area.

post #464 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Lemme clear up your list.

WUNC 4 , current dig 59, going to 25 (has to be vacated by someone out of RDU)
The someone is WUNU-31/25 in Lumberton, so it's co-owned.

WRAL 5 current dig 53, going to 48 (has to be vacated by an analog 48 out of market)
Also by WCTI-DT in New Bern, which is returning to channel 12.

WUNP 36, digital 39, going back to 36
I don't understand why, but, yes, this is correct.

some spanish station in Fayetteville 40, current dig 38, staying on 38
WUVC.

also another ion in Fayetteville 62, I don't know their digital assignment situation

WFPX-62/36, remaining on channel 36. This is why I was saying I didn't understand the WUNP move back to 36.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #465 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess on WUNP - their analog transmitter totally blocks WFPX ' digital one at my location - and the 2 transmitters are more than 100 miles apart (by my rough guess) - I could do some checking on that. - yep - my rough guess is correct - over 100 miles apart.

It would be intersting to see the interfernce at about half way between the 2 stations post D-Day. It would probably depend on which direction your antenna was pointing as to which one you would receive.

post #466 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

A point I'm not clear on is what will happen to the low power and translator stations in the 52-69 band after 2/17/09. Will they need to vacate on 2/17/09 or will they have additional time like the ones in the core?

I'm not sure how clear it is, and not sure if they changed anything regarding that since then, but for the most part They did cover this in detail in Section D., paragraphs paragraphs 59~81 of the LP DTV R&O from 2004, available here in PDF format :

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-04-220A1.pdf

The way I read it, as of that order, basically It seems to say LP's(analog or digital) can stay on 52~59 post transistion as long as they don't interfere with new primary services, but they all have to be off ch 60~69 post transistion ....

I do know that in my area, most of the LPTV's+ translators that were on 52~69 have already moved to in core channels over the past couple of years, or Have CP's to do so. ... One LP translator on 66 has a analog CP for 22 to "repurpose" a Full service station's(which the same company also own - current ABC affiliate, full service analog station on 22) existing facilities in the same market for LP use --- I assume they're going to do that on or soon after feb 18, 2009 ....

Jeff
post #467 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

He is a suggestion to those who would be interested. You might want to start rolling tape on some of your analog stations in the next few months for your kids and/or grandkids of what analog looked and sounded like. Then roll tape when those same stations sign off analog for the last time, no matter when it is.

Also, it will be interesting to see at what time on Feb 17, 2009 the analogs sign off at. Some will during the day, others will wait until the last minute. The FCC stated in the 3rd DTV Review that stations analog licenses will expire at 11:59:59 pm on Feb 17, 2009. For those stations waiting until the last second, it will interesting to see them all go off within seconds of each other!!

post #468 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the stations even have an idea about what their plans for shutdown are at this point ? This is over a year away, so I would guess it hasn't been thought about too deeply yet.

post #469 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

I still think the midnight thing is stupid. Most stations start their "broadcast day" at 5am. It would make sense to allow stations to shut off their analog broadcasts (and old channel digital broadcasts where applicable) sometime in the early morning hours like 2am-4am and fire up their new digital signal before the 5am news. It would make it easy for everybody if all stations did this the morning of 2-18. England, which is shutting off analog one region at a time, wisely moved cutoof time from midnight to 4am.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #470 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.news.com/Wireless-auction...ml?tag=nefd.to
p

Wireless Auction Opens with $2.4 billion Bid Total

By Reuters

Story last modified Thu Jan 24 12:18:18 PST 2008

Top bidders put up a total of more than $2.4 billion on Thursday in the opening round of the Federal
Communications Commission's auction of coveted U.S. government-owned airwaves.

The figure represents the highest bids received for five separate blocks of spectrum at the beginning of
the auction, which is eventually expected to net the federal government at least $10 billion.

Companies qualified to bid include major carriers AT&T and Verizon Wireless, as well as possible new
competitors like Internet company Google, EchoStar Communications, and Cablevision Systems. Verizon
Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group.

Under FCC rules, identities of bidders will be kept secret until the entire auction ends.

Analysts say the major carriers could use the new spectrum to offer consumers more advanced services such
as broadband access via mobile phones and wireless broadband to laptop computers.

The $2.4 billion worth of opening high bids included a $472 million offer for a closely watched block of
spectrum, known as the "D" block, which will have to be shared with public safety agencies under FCC
rules.
----
Rest of the article can be found at the link above.

Gilbert
post #471 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.news.com/Wireless-auction...ml?tag=nefd.to

Are they are talking about VHF?

Quote:

The 700-megahertz signals are valuable because they can go long distances and penetrate thick walls. The airwaves are being returned by television broadcasters as they move to digital from analog signals in early 2009.

TV channels 52-69 aren't particularly effective at penetrating thick walls, etc. But then, I suppose they are... relative to current cell phone frequencies.

post #472 of 7371 Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been thinking that while every Full Power station will need to turn off analog on 2/17/09, it only applies for the US based stations does it not? Is Fox 6 in San Diego (XETV) under any obligation to turn off its analog signal? XETV is currently broadcasting on 6 for analog and on 23 for DTV, so I would assume they will keep both if they can. As Mexico isn't scheduled to turn off analog until ~2022, can XETV continue its analog broadcasts until then?

Are there any other major US network TV stations broadcasting into the US from outside the US?

An interesting tidbit I found from XETV's Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XETV):

Quote:

Also, because Mexican broadcast regulations did not limit commercial time (as FCC regulations did at the time) every Sunday, the station, in a forerunner to future changes in the U.S., became, in effect, the first station in North America to carry an infomercial, which consisted of a one-hour advertisement of listings of local houses for sale. As FCC regulations at that time limited television stations to 18 minutes of commercials in an hour, such a program could not have been run on U.S. television at that time.

18 minutes per hour? IONfomercial wouldn't last long at that rate.

Edit: It looks like XHRIO - (Fox RIO 2) in Brownsville, TX is in the same boat and that they can both continue analog broadcasts at will.

post #473 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Most stations start their "broadcast day" at 5am. It would make sense to allow stations to shut off their analog broadcasts (and old channel digital broadcasts where applicable) sometime in the early morning hours like 2am-4am and fire up their new digital signal before the 5am news.

I suspect a lot of stations will do that on the morning of February 17, i.e. about 20 hours before the actual deadline.
post #474 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

Do the stations even have an idea about what their plans for shutdown are at this point ?

Yes and I am sure the FCC will publish them since all stations have to have their plans in to the FCC by Feb 18, 2008.

post #475 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I still think the midnight thing is stupid. Most stations start their "broadcast day" at 5am. It would make sense to allow stations to shut off their analog broadcasts (and old channel digital broadcasts where applicable) sometime in the early morning hours like 2am-4am and fire up their new digital signal before the 5am news. It would make it easy for everybody if all stations did this the morning of 2-18. England, which is shutting off analog one region at a time, wisely moved cutoof time from midnight to 4am.

The FCC is actually asking stations to please not wait until the last minute (they are hinting for stations to start this summer if they can shut analog down), but for a station that is staying on its digital channel and is just just shutting down an analog transmitter, then why not wait until the last possible moment? After that, the analog transmitter and associated equipment will be useless.

The vast majority of viewers will not even know when it happens since the MSOs will start to carry the digital stations before the analog shutdown. For those stations changing channels, they will have to be in coordination with the MSOs on when they will change channels and the OTA only people will have been notified beginning 30 days ahead of the change, per FCC rules from the 3rd DTV Review.

I don't think it is going to be as big a deal as some here think. Just don't be rolling your tapes via an MSO or you might miss the sign off!

post #476 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have been thinking that while every Full Power station will need to turn off analog on 2/17/09, it only applies for the US based stations does it not? Is Fox 6 in San Diego (XETV) under any obligation to turn off its analog signal?

Not on Feb 18, 2009.

Quote:

XETV is currently broadcasting on 6 for analog and on 23 for DTV, so I would assume they will keep both if they can. As Mexico isn't scheduled to turn off analog until ~2022, can XETV continue its analog broadcasts until then?

Yes, if that is what the Mexican government says.

Also, XETV has to get permission from the FCC yearly to broadcast FOX. The microwave system that feeds the transmitter has to be US licensed since it radiates from the US side of the border and is under US rules. There is also some kind of Mexican permission has to be secured for that microwave signal to cross the border to a Mexican receive site (fixed point to point). But the on air rules of XETV are Mexican since that is where the transmitter is licensed. It is like the cruise ships. They are owned by American companies but are registered in places like Liberia and are considered sovereign soil of the registered country and so are under that countries laws, not the US.

Of course, the big difference is, the cruise lines do it for tax purposes and the relaxed maritime rules where with XETV, it is just that happens to be where they could put a TV station that servers San Diego.

Quote:

Are there any other major US network TV stations broadcasting into the US from outside the US?

I was trying to remember off the top of my head (never a good thing to do) and I want to say yes there is one other, but I can't remember where. (edit - you found it!) I thought I heard several years ago that some small US stations along the TX border aired TV Azteca, the Mexican network version, not the version that you see on other US TV stations. Don't know if that was true or not.

Quote:

An interesting tidbit I found from XETV's Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XETV):

XETV has been around for years and I have seen in the trades where they show regular US syndicated programming as well as they have a full news programming slate. Check out http://www.fox6.com for their very nice website. From their website, here is their full programming line up for today (I see no infomercials listed for the whole day):

12:00a - 12:30a South Park
12:30a - 1:00a South Park
1:00a - 1:30a Reno 911
1:30a - 2:00a Reno 911
5:00a - 5:30a Fox6 News At 5Am
5:30a - 6:00a Fox6 News At 5:30Am
6:00a - 7:00a Fox6 News At 6Am
7:00a - 9:00a Fox In The Morning
9:00a - 10:00a San Diego Living
10:00a - 11:00a 700 Club
11:00a - 11:30a Still Standing
11:30a - 12:00p Still Standing
12:00p - 12:30p Cops
12:30p - 1:00p Cops - Coast To Coast
1:00p - 1:30p Temptation
1:30p - 2:00p Temptation
2:00p - 2:30p Cristina's Court
2:30p - 3:00p Cristina's Court
3:00p - 3:30p Judge David Young
3:30p - 4:00p Judge David Young
4:00p - 4:30p King Of The Hill - Hank's Dirty Laundry (Hank Vehemently Protests When A Video Store Accuses Him Of Not Returning An Adult Film.)
4:30p - 5:00p King Of The Hill - Full Metal Dust Jacket (Peggy Opens Her Own Bookstore, But When She Discovers That Customers Are Nonexistent, She Reluctantly Allows Dale To Sublet Space So He Can Sell Guns)
5:00p - 5:30p Frasier
5:30p - 6:00p Frasier
6:00p - 6:30p That 70'S Show - On With The Show
6:30p - 7:00p That 70'S Show (Double-Run & Weekend)
7:00p - 7:30p The Simpsons - Crook And Ladder
7:30p - 8:00p The Simpsons - Way We Weren't, The (Homer Reveals That Marge Wasn't The First Girl He Ever Kissed, But As He And Marge Recount Their Versions Of Time Spent At A Summer Camp, Homer Realizes He Caused Marge Thirty Years Of Heartbreak.)
8:00p - 9:00p Bones
9:00p - 10:00p House
10:00p - 11:00p Fox6 News At 10Pm
11:00p - 11:30p Seinfeld - The Lip Reader
11:30p - 12:00a Seinfeld - The Note

Quote:

Edit: It looks like XHRIO - (Fox RIO 2) in Brownsville, TX is in the same boat and that they can both continue analog broadcasts at will.

post #477 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant the ION network TV stations, which seem to show nothing but infomercials on the off hours:

http://www.ionline.tv/schedule.php

Click the "previous 3 hours" button to see the "paid programming listings."

I watch XETV Fox 6 when I visit my parents in San Diego every few weekends or so. It will be interesting to see that as the only local English station on analog next year.

post #478 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Study Shows Most OTA TV Households Will Stick with Antennas After Analog Ends

January 25, 2008

A study has been conducted by the Association of Public Television Stations to determine what off-air TV viewers will do after analog broadcasting ends. The results show that they would opt to receive free off-air digital TV, using either set-top DTV converters or by purchasing a new set with a DTV tuner, rather than switching to cable or satellite services. The margin was more than three to one, with 43 percent indicating they would stick with off-air television delivery, and 12 percent saying that they would sign up for cable or satellite.

"This data indicates that free, over-the-air television may be set for a big comeback," said John Lawson, APTS president and CEO. "Many people see broadcasting as a dinosaur technology, but we broadcasters have the opportunity to reposition it as 'wireless TV' and reach new audiences."

The remaining households either didn't know the steps they would take (25 percent) or said they would do nothing (19 percent). Of the group that said they would do nothing, 17.6 percent said they would postpone or wait before they take any action, if they do anything at all.

The survey found that 77 percent of those surveyed who were aware of the transition didn't know why the Federal government had ordered it. The APTS survey found only 18.7 percent of the respondents thought the government was on the "right track" with the transition.

The study results are based on a Nov. 2007 survey of 1,153 households conducted by research firm Centris, which is based in Fort Washington, Pa.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0115/t.10916.html

post #479 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

"They are hinting for stations to start this summer if they can shut analog down"? I thought stations were not allowed to shut down analog until January 18 2009 at the earliest, unless they get special permission from the FCC. I read on here that KJLA 57 in Los Angeles asked for permission to shut down their analog transmitter about a year ago simply because they were tired of paying the electric bill for it, and the FCC said no, you must keep transmitting in both analog and digital until 2009. I also read that some PBS station somewhere's very old analog transmitter died, and the FCC gave them permission to go digital only then, instead of having to spend over $1 million on a new analog transmitter that they would only get 2 years use out of.

It would be easier for OTA antenna users if all stations that are switching channels did it at the same time. That way people wouldn't need to do the "3-4 rescans". It would also make things easier for cable technicians, since they will have to make changes to their reception/retransmission setup. I'm sure they would rather do it all on one night than at different times for different channels.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #480 of 7371 Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would be easier for OTA antenna users if all stations that are switching channels did it at the same time. That way people wouldn't need to do the "3-4 rescans". It would also make things easier for cable technicians, since they will have to make changes to their reception/retransmission setup. I'm sure they would rather do it all on one night than at different times for different channels.

I'm inclined to think that if the switch is going to result in a day of inconveniences -- well, we've had many of those this winter affecting things far beyond my TV reception. We'll know more about the plans when the Form 387s start rolling in, and I'm sure the stations will be making their own announcements on-air and on the web, since their business depends on us being able to get them. But it'll be far less inconvenient than, say, your typical snowstorm. Heck, if you're so inclined, you could walk down to the bar that night, toast the end of analog, do your re-scan when you get home after last call, and you'll be fine (as long as you don't toast too much).

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page