The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 7370 Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

And Larry, I think he was referring to major channel numbers rather than subchannels. =Þ

Yep. The sort of thing he describes is pretty common. In fact, I have an almost-matching pair:

On physical channel 14:
40-1 WMYA-DT (MyNetwork) HD
40-2 WLOS-DT (ABC) SD

On physical channel 56:
13-1 WLOS-DT (ABC) HD
13-2 WMYA-DT (MyNetwork) SD
13-3 WLOS-DT (ABC) SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7370 Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Yep. The sort of thing he describes is pretty common. In fact, I have an almost-matching pair:

On physical channel 14:
40-1 WMYA-DT (MyNetwork) HD
40-2 WLOS-DT (ABC) SD

On physical channel 56:
13-1 WLOS-DT (ABC) HD
13-2 WMYA-DT (MyNetwork) SD
13-3 WLOS-DT (ABC) SD

No surprise, either, given their respective locations (I can't imagine WMYA making it into Asheville), and especially when they were at low-power some time ago.

Not to mention that my home market, Roanoke, has something similar:

21-0 WWCW Fox "Fox 21/27"
21-1 WWCW Fox-SD "Fox 21/27"
21-2 WWCW CW-HD "CW5"
27-0 WFXR Fox "Fox 21/27"
27-1 WFXR Fox-HD "Fox 21/27"
27-2 WFXR CW-SD "CW5"

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #543 of 7370 Old 02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

KION in Monterey has CBS on 32.1 and CW on 32.2.

Same pair for KHSL Chico on 43.1 and 43.2.

Chuck

post #544 of 7370 Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best example I have is KESQ in the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KESQ-TV

It has ABC, FOX and the CW all on one real channel (52), all with different major virtual channel numbers. 42.1/42.2 (ABC/weather), 33.2 (FOX) and 2.3 (CW).

Incidentally, the local CBS affiliate, KPSP, has no local OTA DTV broadcast and only has an LP tower and relies on cable otherwise.

I was surprised at how much of a mess it was in the Palm Springs area when I tested it out. They have a large number of analog translators and low power stations, so I will be interested to see how they handle the transition locally.

The Coachella Valley/Palm Springs area may as well be an "everyone has cable" area, but the dearth of OTA options is still a surprise for an area with about 500,000 people. It's probably because the population before 1980 was under 80,000.
post #545 of 7370 Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

The Coachella Valley/Palm Springs area may as well be an "everyone has cable" area, but the dearth of OTA options is still a surprise for an area with about 500,000 people. It's probably because the population before 1980 was under 80,000.

I'm curious if that has to do with the odd population balance prior to the last decade or so: most of the area's residents were either farm workers or wealthy, with comparatively few in the middle class. Most of the TV was piped in from LA for those with cable, and most of those who couldn't afford cable had no use for English-language programming anyway. Over the last 10 years, there has been a huge increase of middle-class population, which brings along a market for local news and TV that previously didn't exist.
post #546 of 7370 Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Having some of the lesser networks on a subchannel isn't uncommon out here, either. Usually it's CW or My, although Quincy, IL's two commercial stations now carry Fox and ABC on subs.

Having them map to different numbers on one physical channel IS rare, but not unheard of. Channel 56 in Des Moines carries 23-1 (the CW in HD) AND My 56-1 (in SD). That is how they map.

The reason for this is that the CW affiliate on channel 23 got its license too late to get a digital companion channel, so they bought the construction permit for channel 56, built it as an all-digital channel, and devoted the lion's share of its capacity to an HD subchannel simulcast of CW 23. So basically, they own two stations, but they're the equivalent of one for now until the transition is over, when they'll each have their own post-transition channel.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #547 of 7370 Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good morning, once again.

I'm up in the air about whether or not I'm going to continue with this up past midnight updating stuff. This week is going to kill me with tests and stress and whatnot, so while I hope not to fall behind with this list... well, we'll see.

The page may or may not get updated this evening. I likely will not post an update when it is updated.

Keeping analog til the bitter end:
WCVE, WCVW, WHTJ, WCEU, WFLX, WBBH, KWBU, KLRU, KGWL, WLIO, WETP, WKOP, KGWC (returning to 14 on a different tower)

Analog already gone:
WNVT, WACX, KVMD

No analog on the air, signing on as digital on different channel:
KBCJ (analog 6, digital 16), KBNY (analog 6, digital 27)

Odds and ends:

KHCV filed to keep their analog going until the end, but the analog is presently off the air due to equipment problems. They tentatively plan to repair the analog, but I'm guessing if it costs too much they may just ask the FCC to terminate it.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=49264

WRDQ will halve analog power to prep for a flash-cut on Feb 17.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=55454

WNVC will silence both its analog and digital (56/57) in September 2008 and replace both with a single channel 24 antenna. The station may not be able to sign back on until Feb 18 due to WUTB in Baltimore, but will provide its programming on WNVT-DT and via fiber to cable/satellite companies.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....7&fac_num=9999

WTLW is requesting to return to channel 44 now, rather than keeping 47.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....7&fac_num=1222

That's all for today, see you again tomorrow!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #548 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WNVC will silence both its analog and digital (56/57) in September 2008 and replace both with a single channel 24 antenna. The station may not be able to sign back on until Feb 18 due to WUTB in Baltimore, but will provide its programming on WNVT-DT and via fiber to cable/satellite companies.

I was wondering what WNVC-DT MHz 56 in Fairfax, VA was going to do, but going dark for as long as 5 months is a long time. WNVC is the closest broadcast tower to me, but their side-mounted digital antenna operating at only 7.3 kW on UHF 57 has poor coverage. I can only get the station if I aim my CM 4221 right at it (and lose a lot of other stations). The post-transition coverage will be much improved with the UHF 24 antenna on top of the tower with a 50 kW signal.

What WNVC's transition plan attachment does not mention is that OTA only viewers of WNVC-DT will lose 3 unique SD sub-channels that are not carried on the sister station WNVC-DT 30. WNVC-DT and WNVT-DT are unusual stations which use their digital channels to provide 8 unique SD sub-channels of international programming. WNVT-DT has 5 sub-channels for MHz 1 to 5, WNVC-DT has 4 sub-channels for MHz 1 & MHz 6 to 8. MHz 1 is what is sent out on the WNVC analog channel. What the 2 stations carry is listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNVC. Verizon Fios carries all the sub-channels from the 2 stations in their digital SD local set, so all the sub-channels will remain available on Fios while WNVC is off the air.

Fox owned WUTB-DT My 24 in Baltimore is still at their STA power of 530 Watts, although they are supposed to finally go full power very soon on UHF 41. My question is can WNVC 56 petition the FCC for some relief and ask that WUTB 24 in Baltimore shut down it's analog signal before Feb. 17, 2009? Assuming of course, that Fox opts to keep WUTB on the air as long as possible which I would expect a commercial network to do. When WUTB-DT is at full power on their digital channel, they will be at their post-transition assignment, so they will have their full digital coverage prior to Feb 17. Would the FCC even consider, or could they even legally do so, asking WUTB in Baltimore to shut down it's analog channel a month or two early to provide relief to WNVC so WNVC is not dark for close to 5 months? Or is this a can of worms the FCC is simply not going to open and will stay away from moderating conflicts between stations. If WNVC has to go dark for a long time, so be it?
post #549 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

What WNVC's transition plan attachment does not mention is that OTA only viewers of WNVC-DT will lose 3 unique SD sub-channels that are not carried on the sister station WNVC-DT 30. WNVC-DT and WNVT-DT are unusual stations which use their digital channels to provide 8 unique SD sub-channels of international programming. WNVT-DT has 5 sub-channels for MHz 1 to 5, WNVC-DT has 4 sub-channels for MHz 1 & MHz 6 to 8. MHz 1 is what is sent out on the WNVC analog channel. What the 2 stations carry is listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNVC. Verizon Fios carries all the sub-channels from the 2 stations in their digital SD local set, so all the sub-channels will remain available on Fios while WNVC is off the air.

I wonder if they might try to jam all 8 of them in on WNVT-DT. It'll look like crap, but they might be able to get away with it temporarily.

Quote:

Fox owned WUTB-DT My 24 in Baltimore is still at their STA power of 530 Watts, although they are supposed to finally go full power very soon on UHF 41. My question is can WNVC 56 petition the FCC for some relief and ask that WUTB 24 in Baltimore shut down it's analog signal before Feb. 17, 2009? Assuming of course, that Fox opts to keep WUTB on the air as long as possible which I would expect a commercial network to do. When WUTB-DT is at full power on their digital channel, they will be at their post-transition assignment, so they will have their full digital coverage prior to Feb 17. Would the FCC even consider, or could they even legally do so, asking WUTB in Baltimore to shut down it's analog channel a month or two early to provide relief to WNVC so WNVC is not dark for close to 5 months? Or is this a can of worms the FCC is simply not going to open and will stay away from moderating conflicts between stations. If WNVC has to go dark for a long time, so be it?

I doubt the FCC would force them off the air, however Fox might consider shutting it off voluntarily if other stations do it at the same time (have to see what WJZ and WBAL do). They may also consider it if the ratings are low enough that it won't hurt much to lose the OTA coverage for a few months.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #550 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm up in the air about whether or not I'm going to continue with this up past midnight updating stuff. This week is going to kill me with tests and stress and whatnot, so while I hope not to fall behind with this list... well, we'll see.

The page may or may not get updated this evening. I likely will not post an update when it is updated.

No worries, good luck with the tests, and you might want to work in some downtime instead of working on the lists ... We'll still be here when you have the time ....

If folks have missed it, and want to look at the form 387's as they come in for themselves, as I think a link to this was posted somewhere back in this thread or elsewhere but it might have been some time ago -- They can go here :

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...od/cdbs_pa.htm

Chose :

"Search for Application information"

Then on page that pops up, from the "form number" drop-down box chose :

"form 387"

If desired, You can further narrow it down by filling out some of the other fields such as "status date", or to see the apps for your area by "state"/community of license/etc, so that all of them don't pop up, as soon there should be a LOT of them .....

Then click the "submit application search" button, and all the entries will pop up (if you don't narrow it down after the "get data" page telling you there are a lot of records - currently 137 and it may take some time) ...

To see the form 387+get the details, click on the corresponding "application link" next to the station's entry you'r interested in. Note that If I recall correctly, adobe acrobat reader may need to be installed on your system for this to work ...

Jeff
post #551 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yes on Acrobat.

And Thanks for the link. Right now, there are 2 stations for NC, both in Charlotte, both providing analog until the bitter end (both already on final DTV assignments)

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #552 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Meh, you don't need Acrobat, just any PDF reader. I tend to like the free FoxIt Reader. Much lighter and quicker.

But yes, WSOC and WAXN are done with the transition; I heard that WAXN wanted to boost their power but the FCC wouldn't let them.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #553 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Computer Science class isn't good for much else; I went ahead and wrapped up the technical data for this morning's filings.

Now I should find something useful to do. =Þ

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #554 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry to post thrice in a row, but I'm wondering if anyone would benefit from linking stations to their FCC coverage maps. They're not terribly accurate, but might help the directional arrays make more sense.

Any opinions on this?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #555 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to post thrice in a row, but I'm wondering if anyone would benefit from linking stations to their FCC coverage maps. They're not terribly accurate, but might help the directional arrays make more sense.

Any opinions on this?

The Tvfool.com on-line maps are better. The FCC coverage maps are useful, but you could end up with dead links if the station call letters changed or there was a change in the FCC end file structure. Basic links to the FCC database and tvfool website on a web page would provide access to that info with getting too far down in links that may change.

Anyone planning to update the DTV_Analysis.xls spreadsheet with the basic transition info? The trick is how to summarize it into no more than 3-4 columns for the critical info: projected analog shutdown date, analog power reduction ahead of shutdown?, projected current DTV channel shutdown ahead of transition if applicable, projected start-up of new DTV channel if applicable, maybe a yes/no column for will station go dark for an extended period? Suggestion on how to best summarize the info?

As it stands, I my count is right, there are 124 stations so far with posted Form 387s. If the form for 1700 more stations are placed on-line in the next several weeks, this will be more than any one of us can handle, even Trip in VA.
post #556 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Tvfool.com on-line maps are better. The FCC coverage maps are useful, but you could end up with dead links if the station call letters changed or there was a change in the FCC end file structure. Basic links to the FCC database and tvfool website on a web page would provide access to that info with getting too far down in links that may change.

I agree, but they won't have post-transition facilities up for a while, and I don't want to flood the site with traffic if I can help it. (As much of a "flood" as there may be, hah!)

Quote:

As it stands, I my count is right, there are 124 stations so far with posted Form 387s. If the form for 1700 more stations are placed on-line in the next several weeks, this will be more than any one of us can handle, even Trip in VA.

I may start trying to put stations that should be finished up over the weekend, to try and head off the massive rush. I'm not expecting to be able to handle it, as you suggest, since there's a chance a huge ton of them will show up all in one day, likely next Tuesday, and that day sucks for me. That said, I plan to have all the data sorted by the end of next week, so I will be able to handle it over a period of a few days.

I managed to keep up with the channel elections, this shouldn't be too bad.

Then once it's all said and done, I'll try and keep the list up to date as best I can. Stations should be updating their filings periodically to describe their current status; I'll do my best to keep that updated.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #557 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, but they won't have post-transition facilities up for a while, and I don't want to flood the site with traffic if I can help it. (As much of a "flood" as there may be, hah!)

Check tvfool.com. andy.s.lee has added an option to the signal analysis tool to show the post-transition signal strengths for the full power stations (and LPs as far as they have been defined) based on the FCC data. Useful if you have a station moving from UHF to VHF and I have four stations doing so. Another example is that tvfool projects that the received signal strength for my location for WNVC-DT 56 will increase by around 20 dBm whenever they fire up their new antenna on UHF 24. Handy info. I expect he will be updating the on-line coverage maps at some point.
post #558 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Check tvfool.com. andy.s.lee has added an option to the signal analysis tool to show the post-transition signal strengths for the full power stations (and LPs as far as they have been defined) based on the FCC data. Useful if you have a station moving from UHF to VHF and I have four stations doing so. Another example is that tvfool projects that the received signal strength for my location for WNVC-DT 56 will increase by around 20 dBm whenever they fire up their new antenna on UHF 24. Handy info. I expect he will be updating the on-line coverage maps at some point.

I haven't been lately, haven't had the time and won't for a while, but this is good news.

Still, I don't want to flood the site with any random traffic from my own, not that I imagine there'd be much. =Þ

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #559 of 7370 Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Good morning!

Today's stations were mostly routine, so I went ahead and stayed up and handled them.

Analog on the air to the bitter end:
WSFJ, WXXI, KJTV, KOTA, KDUH, KHSD, KSGW, KTOO, KOB, WRAZ*, WMFP, KDLT, KQDS, WSAH, KCNS, KPBS, WMEC, WQEC, WSEC, WHA, WOAC, WRAY, WPNE, WHWC, WTTW, WLTZ, KRIN, KBIN, KHIN, WMEA, WMEB, WMED, KUSM, KBYU, KSL, KTVA, KBFD, KLJB, WFXR, WZDX, WACY

Flash cut 02/17/09:
WSVN**, KGWR, KFNB

Status Unknown:
WGTU, WGTQ
These stations were recently sold, and while the sale is pending, the old licensee has to file the paperwork, but the new licensee will be handling all the construction, so only a placeholder document has been filed.

* WRAZ will, for a few weeks, operate on an auxiliary antenna while other stations on the tower (WRAL, WNCN, etc) are built out.

** WSVN will flash-cut their current analog facilities while a new tower is being approved for itself and WPLG.

See? Nice and simple.

Til tomorrow!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #560 of 7370 Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone planning to update the DTV_Analysis.xls spreadsheet with the basic transition info? The trick is how to summarize it into no more than 3-4 columns for the critical info: projected analog shutdown date, analog power reduction ahead of shutdown?, projected current DTV channel shutdown ahead of transition if applicable, projected start-up of new DTV channel if applicable, maybe a yes/no column for will station go dark for an extended period? Suggestion on how to best summarize the info?

I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but these are good suggestions.

However, it will probably be too much to handle and keep track of. It took me a few months to come up with the current result and it seems that we will be dealing with moving targets and old data on the FCC TV Query for some time to come.

Maybe it is time for me to start adding some columns with Trip's info. So far, I've been graying out the analog channels which are off the air, but I have only noted a few of those.
post #561 of 7370 Old 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm burned out from Physics homework; no way in hell am I posting all these til the afternoon.

77 new filings, most of them are ION stations, all but 6 of them are done and keeping analog on the air til 02/17/09.

Other 6:
KLWY, KFNE, KOBG, KOBR, WHEC, KPXJ

I'll post when it's updated.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #562 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Alright, I've updated the page. I know about the lack of facilities, we'll see what I can do with that in the near future. The worst part of my week is behind me now.

All done and staying til 02/17/09:
WNYT, KPXN, WCPX, KPEJ, KVEO, KMSS, KWSE, WGMB, WEVV, KSRE, KBME, KETK, WPPX, KADN, WNTZ, KLWY, KKPX, KJRE, KYTX, WBPX, WDPX, WPXG, KPXD, WWPX, WXPX, KPXM, KSPX, WOPX, KAZQ, KCVU, KBVU, KNME, WIPX, WRPX, WFPX, WNPX, WPXE, KPXE, KUPX, WPXP, KAME, WPXH, WPXV, KOPX, WGPX, WPXQ, WCET, KERA, WPXC, WQPX, KTPX, WLPX, WUPX, WPXK, WPXR, KPXO, KPXR, KXJB, KFQX, WPXU, WPXX, KFYR, WPXL, KXLA, KVLY, WPXA, KREX, KREY, KREG, KYNE.

Returning to analog on or before 2/17/09:
KFNE, KLWY.

Returning to analog on 2/17/09:
WHEC, KOBR.

Already digital only:
KPXJ, WTPX.

Moving to new channel 2/17/09:
KOBG.

Links to the documents are available on my page.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #563 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Moving to new channel 2/17/09: KOBG.

76 new Form 387s posted yesterday! If the FCC posts them the day they are submitted, we should be seeing 100s per day in the next week.

Expanding on the plans for KOBG, satellite station of KOB-TV, NBC affiliate in Albuquerque, NM - http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...ibit_id=616635 - states their plan is to move the current analog 6 antenna to the side of the tower and reduce analog power to 10% of authorized level 1-2 months before transition date in order to place a new antenna for VHF 12 on top. Will have to coordinate testing of VHF 12 with KOVT-DT. Summary: reduce analog power in Dec, 2008 or Jan, 2009; digital signal to start up February 18, 2009; application for reduced STA power to be filed. KOBG does not have a digital transition channel. They are going to put up a new antenna in January in that part of the country? Good luck with staying to the schedule.
post #564 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoFishMan View Post

WGNO/WNOL chose to simply abandon their old transmitter site, which was hanging out in the swamp, literally, outside of protection levees. It was ludicrously vulnerable to hurricanes.

TiVoFishMan, thanks for the great info on the reconstruction projects. It is a very interesting read. I am curious to see what the results are when WNOL goes live on 15.

Looking at the swamp where WGNO and WNOL used to be, I see that WLAE and KGLA were also in the same swamp. Are they still there or are they moving as well?

I am updating my analysis spreadsheet with notes for WGNO, WNOL and WDSU. If you can keep us posted, that would be great.

Thanks again.
post #565 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

76 new Form 387s posted yesterday! If the FCC posts them the day they are submitted, we should be seeing 100s per day in the next week.

They post them the day after they're submitted. But yes, if ~240 of them have been submitted now, that means there's still like 1500 still to come down over the next 4-5 days.

I'm going to be quite busy haha.

Quote:

Expanding on the plans for KOBG, satellite station of KOB-TV, NBC affiliate in Albuquerque, NM - http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...ibit_id=616635 - states their plan is to move the current analog 6 antenna to the side of the tower and reduce analog power to 10% of authorized level 1-2 months before transition date in order to place a new antenna for VHF 12 on top. Will have to coordinate testing of VHF 12 with KOVT-DT. Summary: reduce analog power in Dec, 2008 or Jan, 2009; digital signal to start up February 18, 2009; application for reduced STA power to be filed. KOBG does not have a digital transition channel. They are going to put up a new antenna in January in that part of the country? Good luck with staying to the schedule.

We'll see. That's not the only place where they're planning to do things like that.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #566 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

TiVoFishMan, thanks for the great info on the reconstruction projects. It is a very interesting read. I am curious to see what the results are when WNOL goes live on 15.

Looking at the swamp where WGNO and WNOL used to be, I see that WLAE and KGLA were also in the same swamp. Are they still there or are they moving as well?

I am updating my analysis spreadsheet with notes for WGNO, WNOL and WDSU. If you can keep us posted, that would be great.

Thanks again.

From what I hear, WLAE gutted their transmitter building, replaced the Sheetrock, and installed new transmitters. Done. I guess they're gamblers. I wonder how much insurance they had? In any case, this explains why they got back on the air quicker than WGNO, WNOL, or WDSU. They didn't choose to build a whole new building.

KGLA started on the air after Katrina. However, their earliest license applications pre-date Katrina. From the Google-Earth view, their transmitter building looks pretty buff, perhaps it was built much like WDSU's new building is built.

This was the case with WVUE/WYES. Their transmitter building is out in an unprotected swamp, but built up on piers like a impenetrable bunker. Again, much like the new WDSU building. Good planning.

One thing I'm going to do in the not too distant future, is spend a Saturday doing a "tower tour" where I drive past all the local TV and FM towers. I haven't been past many of them since Katrina. This will prove to my wife that her husband has gone totally off the deep end and is mired in hopeless geekdom!

Edit:

Check out this slide show of the new WDSU/WGNO/WNOL site:

http://www.wdsu.com/slideshow/statio...74/detail.html

Take a look at the third-to-last-frame (the second-to-last that's an actual photo).

You can see 4 spanking new transmitters in that pic. Note that the first three feed into a 3 input manifold combiner. They are: WNOL-DT (15) WGNO-DT (23, post transition, dark until changeover date) and WDSU-DT (43). The fourth transmitter in the row (note it's coax goes out of the picture without feeding into the combiner) is WDSU analog (6).

All are active, at least for part-time testing, as of today, except WGNO-DT.
post #567 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Tivofishman - join the club (re: wife thinking husband is totally off his rocker on this subject) !

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #568 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have updated my spreadsheet post to reflect my first try at adding the transition information for each station.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12890633

It's very rough so far, but I hope it's moving in the right direction.

Thanks, Trip, for your great work! I hope to try and keep up.
post #569 of 7370 Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

140+ filings yesterday, including interesting ones like WBBM, WTVF, and WSKY.

I haven't looked through them yet, but I think a majority of them are relatively normal.

Don't know when I'll get them all on my list, but I'll post here when I do.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #570 of 7370 Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hello once again!

144 filings yesterday, and I'm busily sifting through them. This is only part of it, as I doubt I can do 144 at one sitting.

Once again, links can be found on my website.

Analog to the end:
WINK, WDAY, WAGV, KLNE, KVRR(1), KTVQ, KVOA, KRIS, KRTV, KATC, WLEX, KPAX, KOAA, WWRS, KIRO, KTVN, KDLV(2), WIAT, KYIN, KTIN, KSIN, KIMT, KTWO(3), WTVI, KRWG, KFNR(4), KCEN, WHRO(5), WLRN(6)

Flash-cutting 02/17/09:
WDAZ, WLFB, WDIO, WIRT, WTVF, WBBM(7)

Flash-cutting before 02/17/09:
KCRG, KMVT*, WKAR**, WJCT***

Digital-only:
KNMD

Waiting on FCC action:
WSKY(a), KTCA(b), KNRR(c)

* KMVT will flash-cut no earlier than 12/01/08.

** WKAR will silence analog about two weeks before the transition.

*** WJCT's application says "in February" over and over, leading me to think the flash-cut will be before 02/17/09.

(1) KVRR will move its digital antenna to the top of its tower in Spring 2009, once weather improves.

(2) KDLV is operating on an STA, and will build out its full DT-26 facilities this summer.

(3) KTWO is going to move to a common tower which will host KGWC-14, KTWO-17, and KFNB-20.

(4) KFNR has yet to build out its digital facilities.

(5) WHRO is operating at 1/4 power to protect WBOC, but will power up on 02/17/09.

(6) WLRN is a mess. Seriously, lawsuit, damaged equipment, the works.

(7) WBBM has bought WTTW's analog equipment, and will use that equipment to operate channel 12 on 02/17/09.

(a) WSKY is operating DT-04 at present, but needs to move to DT-09.

(b) KTCA is planning to operate TV-17 and DT-16 until the end, but is having issues with the FCC regarding DT-26. Due to the current freeze, KTCA would be forced to operate with only 12 kW on DT-26 after the transition, and is waiting on the commission to act on a petition to boost that number.

(c) KNRR intends to flash-cut at some point on or before 02/17/09, but needs clarification from the FCC before ordering equipment.

More will come later, these are just the first group I did (file numbers 20080213AAA through ACL).

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page