The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 245 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7321 of 7371 Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The virtual channel scheme is a mess for anyone like me who lives in a fringe area. Most of the TVs don't have software designed to handle virtual channel conflicts.

For example, I have KLFB virtual and real 22, KRCB virtual 22 and real 23, KEZT virtual and real 23, and KBSV virtual 23 and real 15. No matter how they're scanned in, there's always one station I can't tune to.

I wish that every TV had an option for direct RF entry. At least there would never be any RF channels that you couldn't tune to.

Chuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7371 Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

If a station is not Class A, the spectrum it uses is already free for theft use. LPTVs are secondary and can be forced to move or shut down altogether at any time without compensation. So, for a majority of LPTV stations, the 2015 deadline isn't holding up anything.

As for Class A stations, they were given primary status in exchange for certain obligations, such as minimum 3 hours locally-produced programming per week and filing reports for children's television. If they're not living up to their obligations, why should they continue to enjoy primary status? I'm with the FCC on this one.

So what does that have to do with what I posted since you quoted me.
post #7323 of 7371 Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post

If a station is not Class A, the spectrum it uses is already free for theft use

That's why I am so concerned about the fill-in translators that seem to be licensed only as LDs. The whole point of the fill-in translators is to provide reception that was lost because of the digital transition. If they are not protected as primary during the auction/repacking then that is proof that the government wants to screw the public.
post #7324 of 7371 Old 03-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

So what does that have to do with what I posted since you quoted me.

I think I misread your point; my bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7325 of 7371 Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammer View Post

That's why I am so concerned about the fill-in translators that seem to be licensed only as LDs. The whole point of the fill-in translators is to provide reception that was lost because of the digital transition. If they are not protected as primary during the auction/repacking then that is proof that the government wants to screw the public.

It all depends on how the LP stations are licensed. If they're "replacement translators", then they are inseparable from the full-service license. They share the same call sign and facility ID as the primary, are renewed along with the primary, and automatically go with the primary if the primary is sold. Replacement translators should have the same rights as the primary. Fill-in translators that are licensed as separate LPTV stations won't have any protection.

post #7326 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

KAIL MYTV Fresno was analog channel 53. They were digital RF channel 7 pre transition and stayed there post transition. They now map to virtual channel 7, not 53. I think someone posted that they have a waiver from the FCC allowing them to do this. Does the FCC grant these kind of waivers to any station that asks for one, or do they sometimes deny them. Fresno was an all UHF market in the analog days (except for a few LPs starting in the 90s). I wonder if any other stations in Fresno protested KAIL's mapping to 7, since the other stations all have "UHF" virtual channel numbers, including one other real VHF.

Do any PBS stations promote themselves by channel number anymore? KVPT Fresno never advertises itself as "channel 18" (they used to many years ago). KCET, when it was PBS, didn't advertise itself as "channel 28" (they still don't). Apparently the station in New York City calls itself "Thirteen" as prominately displayed at the end of programs they produce.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #7327 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
A few, but not many. WLVT and WFWA both brand as "PBS39" but I can't think of any others off the top of my head. The reason is that so many PBS stations are carried on multiple channel numbers, whether through additional full-service signals or through translators. Plus, with cable being as prominent as it is, the channel number usually isn't consistent for the PBS station anyway.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7328 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if TV stations will follow the lead of FM stations and brand themselves with all sorts of names? The only station I know doing that around here is KOTR which calls themselves "The Otter." They also advertise as "My 11" because of their cable channel even though they are still analog on RF 2.

Chuck

post #7329 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect that if radio stations had network affiliations the way TV stations do, they would not use those names. If you look around at some of the independent (and My Network TV) stations, you'll see some odd names floating around. My Network TV in Seattle is KZJO "Joe TV." WCIU in Chicago is "The U." WMOR in Tampa is "More TV." WJTC Pensacola is "UTV44." KUBE Houston is (shockingly) "The Kube."

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7330 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Do any PBS stations promote themselves by channel number anymore?

WTTW in Chicago still calls itself "Channel 11" and has "wttw11" in one of its on-screen bugs.
post #7331 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

A good change would be if a station wanted to use their transmitter channel number instead of their old analog channel number, they could if they wanted to.

Larry
SF

It can't be done with stations like WPCW (RF 11, Virtual 19.1) unless stations like WPXI (RF 48, Virtual 11.1,11.2) are willing to permanently give up their analog channel number. IMHO every other full service licensee should be given the discretion to permanently choose their RF channel number rather than their old analog number.
post #7332 of 7371 Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Do any PBS stations promote themselves by channel number anymore?

KAET 8 Phoenix almost exclusively brands as "Channel 8" and seldom displays the call letters apart from the legal ID.

Its signal is sent to 13 translators statewide, seven of which are still analog, so for OTA, it's still necessary to tune to a different channel number to get "channel 8" in those communities. However, since DTV rules allow a translator to use its primary station's channel as its major channel number, the six translators that are now digital are also "channel 8" on OTA tuners in their communities.

It appears that most cable companies in the translator communities also have KAET on channel 8 on their systems, as do the satellite providers, except in Yuma, which is a separate Nielsen market, but has no PBS station of its own.

post #7333 of 7371 Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 AM

I too like using the actual frequency rather than a virtual channel. But I can see why the FCC disallowed this. The biggest problem isn't the branding, after all TV stations and networks have survived rebranding, it was the fact that some of the stations would've had to rebrand and others wouldn't have.

Also some stations used old analog channels for their new digital channel.

For instance in Chicago WGBO, was analog 66 and digital 53. Since they couldn't stay on 53 nor move back to 66, both channels being reallocated, they had to use channel 38. This would confuse people as WCPX was analog 38 and now on digital 43.

It makes no sense to abandon the old analog number either and rebrand to a digital. If you hit channel 38 in it'll automatically bring up virtual 66. And if you hit 66 in the TV it brings up virtual 66 as well. That is two chances to get to your channel.

The only fair way was if everyone had to move to a new channel, which would never have happened.
post #7334 of 7371 Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Not sure why this is such an issue. For example in my area on Charter Cable FOX 17 is on channel 3 and CW 58 is on channel 12. Obviously people can figure out where to find these channels. So the fact that with OTA virtual is not always the same as real is basically the same thing.
post #7335 of 7371 Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post

It makes no sense to abandon the old analog number either and rebrand to a digital. If you hit channel 38 in it'll automatically bring up virtual 66. And if you hit 66 in the TV it brings up virtual 66 as well. That is two chances to get to your channel.

That depends on how your TV works and was one the things I was complaining about. Some TVs will allow this and some won't. My Sony will allow this, my DVR accepts only virtual numbers, and my portable will accept direct RF entry if you preface the number with the minus (-) sign but there's no way to get to anything other than the -1 sub channel that way. It's a mess.

Chuck

post #7336 of 7371 Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

For instance in Chicago WGBO, was analog 66 and digital 53. Since they couldn't stay on 53 nor move back to 66, both channels being reallocated, they had to use channel 38. This would confuse people as WCPX was analog 38 and now on digital 43.

We had stations in that same situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area. KTVU 2 was on 56 digital. Didn't want to go back to 2 and couldn't us 56, so they're on 44 now. KRON 4 was on 57, and like KTVU, they didn't want to use the low VHF channel and ended up on 38. I can see where using the digital channel number wouldn't mean a thing in those cases. Both 38 and 44 were analog channels before the transition to digital.

Quote:

If you hit channel 38 in it'll automatically bring up virtual 66. And if you hit 66 in the TV it brings up virtual 66 as well. That is two chances to get to your channel.

That depends on what tuner you have. You're lucky if you can do that. Some will not recognize the RF channel number so you have to enter the virtual channel number. It only recognizes information picked up from PSIP. Unless it picks up the PSIP information when it scans there's no way to see that channel. Some allow you to enter the RF channel and will give you the station on the transmitter channel. It doesn't switch to the virtual channel. I've also got one tuner that doesn't pay any attention to the virtual channel. You have to know the RF transmitter channel because that's all it shows. There are so many variations from tuner to tuner.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #7337 of 7371 Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like KGUN and KCFG reached an interference agreement that will allow KGUN to raise power to 36.5 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7338 of 7371 Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

My Vizio is strictly virtual channel only. All of my other digital tuners will allow tuning by RF channel except if that RF channel is another station's virtual channel. My 15 inch Coby I use outdoors mostly OTA is very flexible: for example I can tune KGET by entering either 17-1 (virtual channel) or simply 17 or 25-1 (real channel) or simply 25. KBFX-CA, however, must be tuned by it's virtual channel 58-1 or 58, since it's real channel of 29 is the virtual channel of KBAK (real channel 33).

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
post #7339 of 7371 Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://blog.broadcastengineering.com...ters-cry-fowl/

Here are some highlights from Michael Grotticelli's article linked above:

Quote:
Verizon Wireless said it might conduct an open sale of the wireless spectrum it purchased late last year, which could be worth billions of dollars. That statement, included in a proposal it sent to the FCC, caused an angry outcry from the broadcast industry and consumer advocate groups that think the Telco industry clearly has all of the wireless spectrum it needs. Broadcasters are locked in a bitter dispute with the Telco and computer industries over the availability of wireless spectrum and the government's plan to reclaim frequencies now used by terrestrial TV stations and auction it off to the highest bidder.

Until today's announcement, Verizon denied that it was hoarding spectrum, said S. Derek Turner, research director of Free Press, a public interest group. This sale demonstrates that Verizon has in fact warehoused spectrum and the company will likely profit handsomely from this spectrum speculation strategy. The undeniable truth is a disproportionate amount of the country's most valuable spectrum is concentrated in the hands of Verizon and AT&T, who enjoy market shares that dwarf other sectors of the American economy,

post #7340 of 7371 Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

"Verizon’s proposal is contingent on the company getting government approval for three deals to buy spectrum from cable companies and Leap Wireless for a total of about $4 billion."

Note that there are reasonable people who believe the real deal Verizon is making with cable companies is an unspoken agreement not to expand FiOS (and the competition it would bring cable) in Verizon areas that don't already have FiOS.
post #7341 of 7371 Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone's looking for an HDHR3, they're at Woot.com today for $70.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7342 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sinclair didn't even let the ink dry on the Freedom deal before petitioning the FCC to allow a waiver of the freeze so that WRGB can be moved from channel 6 to channel 19.

EDIT: Reading further, included in the document is a statement of support from WPVI, who says they would request an increase to 62.9 kW on channel 6 if WRGB is granted the move to channel 19.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7343 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The FCC has started trying to figure out how to clear stations off of channel 51. See here. http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?c...est=list&sort=

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7344 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The FCC has started trying to figure out how to clear stations off of channel 51. See here. http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?c...est=list&sort=

- Trip

I'm not getting your link. They all say WTB.
post #7345 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

WTB = Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. Remember, it's not the stations that are themselves filing to move off of 51, the WTB is filing to move them involuntarily off of 51. The facilities are identical to the stations involved; just compare KGAN, for instance, to the 29 in Cedar Rapids. Power and height are the same, just different channel.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #7346 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WTB = Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. Remember, it's not the stations that are themselves filing to move off of 51, the WTB is filing to move them involuntarily off of 51. The facilities are identical to the stations involved; just compare KGAN, for instance, to the 29 in Cedar Rapids. Power and height are the same, just different channel.

- Trip

Well with the incentive auctions 51 was going to go away anyways. The FCC might not get 120 MHz like they wanted but they'll get something. I don't like how they want to move Memphis to 27. Is it the FCC's goal to have Memphis an Nashville have all the same channel assignments? Both have a 5 and 23 already. When WTVF gets on 25 they'll be two 25's now they'll be two 27's if this goes through.
post #7347 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
List of full power channel 51 licenses:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&type=3&list=2

It's ridiculous for the FCC to move stations from 51 to 38, 39, and 50 if they're planning to clear that spectrum with an incentive auction.
post #7348 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

List of full power channel 51 licenses:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&type=3&list=2

It's ridiculous for the FCC to move stations from 51 to 38, 39, and 50 if they're planning to clear that spectrum with an incentive auction.

Nobody said the US Government was intelligent......especially the FCC.
post #7349 of 7371 Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Well with the incentive auctions 51 was going to go away anyways. The FCC might not get 120 MHz like they wanted but they'll get something. I don't like how they want to move Memphis to 27. Is it the FCC's goal to have Memphis an Nashville have all the same channel assignments? Both have a 5 and 23 already. When WTVF gets on 25 they'll be two 25's now they'll be two 27's if this goes through.

Lately it seems the FCC thinks that RF stops at the county line....in Texas we have issues with LDs on channels with a full power or a Class A 90 miles away causing issues....(and with the ducting along the Gulf Coast, we know a little about such things...KBMT in Beaumont, TX is LMAing RF43 and using it as a source for translator RF36 to the east; problem? The path to RF43, a LD, is right in line from RF36 site with a 60KW Class A at 2000ft 90miles away...a little ducting and you get the idea...not the picture

Repacking the band is ludicrous if the FCC moves fwd with this 120MHz retaking...there is no room for all the FS and LD/CDs in there....and then add in the analogs going to digital..I hate to think about San Fran market or similar.....(shudder)
post #7350 of 7371 Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

The FCC wants co-channeling in adjacent markets because they don't want anyone to watch out of market stations. It's all about DMA, DMA, DMA!!!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page