The official final DTV Table Of Allotments/channel change thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 7371 Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_77 View Post

... Around 16kW seems to be comparable to maintain an existing service area of a 316kW analog station for the same HAAT, but I prefer to see 20kW-30kW to address potential noise concerns on VHF. ...

Has this been demonstrated in real world scenarios? What analog picture quality will be replicated? I would suspect it will be a very clear noiseless picture since that's basically the only kind of digital TV picture.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 7371 Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I think he means "interference".
post #783 of 7371 Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I receive a 16 kW digital on channel 11 from 71 miles 24/7 with a signal level always well above what is needed to lock on any of my ATSC tuners.
post #784 of 7371 Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

I receive a 16 kW digital on channel 11 from 71 miles 24/7 with a signal level always well above what is needed to lock on any of my ATSC tuners.

I'm going to be 65 miles from two VHF digitals after the transition, with a thousand foot high line of hills in between us, so I'm wondering what might work for me. What type of antenna are you using? I also note your screen name, so am wondering how high are you above average terrain?

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lots of Broadcasting links and information:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out photos and info on my antennas:

post #785 of 7371 Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted by Larry Kenney:
Quote:

I'm going to be 65 miles from two VHF digitals after the transition, with a thousand foot high line of hills in between us, so I'm wondering what might work for me. What type of antenna are you using? I also note your screen name, so am wondering how high are you above average terrain?

According to TV Fool, I have line of sight to this station, KDEV. I am at about 5900' and the station's antenna per the FCC database is listed as 2189 m above sea level, or about 7180'. I use a home made UHF antenna with a CM pre-amp. See attached picture.
LL
post #786 of 7371 Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

I use a home made UHF antenna with a CM pre-amp. See attached picture.

Your antenna looks like an extreme version of a UHF yagi with one VHF element at the back. Is that one dipole element responsible for your VHF channel 11 reception from 71 miles away? I'm amazed!

Larry
SF

post #787 of 7371 Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Your antenna looks like an extreme version of a UHF yagi with one VHF element at the back. Is that one dipole element responsible for your VHF channel 11 reception from 71 miles away? I'm amazed!

Larry
SF

Somehow I don't believe his results represent what will be typical next February.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #788 of 7371 Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

He said he has "line of sight to this station". Makes a huge difference to have a clean line of sight to the broadcast tower, especially if there are few trees in the way.

BTW, changing topics, KWWT CW 30 in the Odessa, TX DMA finally filed their 387 on Thursday some 5+ weeks late. They waited all this time to file that they plan to do a flash cut on 02/17/09 to DT 30. Could have done that sooner. There are still a few stations that have not filed 387s, so you wonder if they don't know about it or are planning to throw in the towel next February.
post #789 of 7371 Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted by Larry Kenney:
Quote:

I had a big CM VHF/UHF antenna before I got my first HDTV. I soon bought another HDTV, then converted my analog TV's to digital using Accurian tuners. At that point, I no longer needed VHF (KDEV wasn't on the air back then) but I did need better UHF performance.

I had an old RS antenna stored in the rafters in the garage that was probably 25 years old. I used it to make an extension of the UHF portion of the CM antenna. The CM antenna had a split boom, and all of the VHF elements except the one still remaining were on one of the splits. Rather than cut off the remaining VHF element from the boom that had the UHF elements, I just left it there on the chance that I may need to reconnect the two booms sometime in the future if I needed VHF.

I suspect that the one remaining set of VHF elements is responsible for my reception of KDEV on channel 11. However, I also still receive all of my local analogs on VHF and even get a snowy channel 5 from Cheyenne, WY, which is over 100 miles away.
post #790 of 7371 Old 04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
As many of the people participating in this thread know, the road to digital television in New Orleans has been made particularly interesting by the fact that several of the TV stations suffered devastating damage from Katrina, forcing them to start over on their DTV buildouts.

The most severely hit stations in New Orleans were the Tribune-owned duopoly of WGNO (ABC) and WNOL (CW) who lost absolutely everything: transmitters, tower, studios, control center, business office.

Since they had to build from scratch, these stations petitioned the FCC, and obtained approval, to simply build their post transition facilities, with WNOL on channel 15, and WGNO on 26.

Problem: 26 is WGNO's analog channel and digital post-transition channel, so now they must flash-cut. After Katrina, they (purposely) forfeited their pre-transition license by remaining silent, with FCC pre-notification.

So, they've been putting WGNO's programming and WNOL's programming on one transmitter, WNOL-DT at channel 15.

To date, WGNO's programming has been carried in 720p and WNOL's in 480i on that same transmitter.

In another thread someone just posted an email, ostensibly from WGNO/WNOL's chief engineer that claims that within days WGNO will be in 720p and WNOL will be in 1080i as subchannels on the same physical transmitter!

I skimmed Trip's sub-channels list and did not see another example of two subchannels in HD on the same transmitter. But, it's a big list. I might have missed something.

Does anyone know of another example of this being done?

Won't the picture quality, well, suck?

post #791 of 7371 Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoFishMan View Post

I skimmed Trip's sub-channels list and did not see another example of two subchannels in HD on the same transmitter. But, it's a big list. I might have missed something.

Does anyone know of another example of this being done?

Won't the picture quality, well, suck?

KALB.
KXII.
WKYT.

Yes it will.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #792 of 7371 Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

KALB.
KXII.
WKYT.

Yes it will.

- Trip

Thanks for the info.

I'll post back what the PQ looks like, to my eyes anyway, when the 1080i kicks in on WNOL (Still 480i as of yesterday evening, last time I checked. WGNO-DT via. WNOL-DT looked just great in 720p for Miss Guided and Eli Stone last night.)

When they first came up on WPXL's transmitter in Feb. 2006, "word on the street" was that Tribune bought WPXL (ION) an absolutely cutting edge stat-mux as a gift (for them to keep) to "sweeten the deal" and soften the blow of depriving them of putting Qubo and ION Life up for all those months.

I can only guess that they bought a similar stat-mux for themselves to help them pull off this trick.

Of course, there's only so much "magic" you can pull off with even the best stat-mux.

post #793 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

WPVI ABC 6 in Philadelphia has to be one of the VHF 6 digital stations that FCC would want to move. It is right smack in the middle of the crowded mid-Atlantic region. From FCC documents I have scanned, the technical staff have stated that they prefer to move all full power stations off of VHF 6 and one would think they would most want to do this for the eastern stations.

Why is there a technical problem with VHF 6 in Philly remaining where its at?
post #794 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I'd imagine channel 6 would like a UHF, but there's just nothing available that provides full-market coverage.

The only thing that came into my mind would be to try and move something like WGCB and go on channel 30, but would they want to pay for two stations like that?

And where would WGCB move to?

Looking at your list, the TV channels 7-51 look extremely full, and it makes me wonder if selling the upper UHF band was a mistake. There's no room for growth!
post #795 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrrroger View Post

WPVI has to vacate their DTV channel on 64, so they can't stay where they were at. They elected to return to 6, but I'm not sure if they had any other choice.

VHF-Low band reception is problematic, especially in urban areas, but it remains to be seen just how bad channel 6 will be as there aren't any full power stations there now as best as I can tell.

Yes, another 5 UHF channels would be great to have post-transition, but as for expansion...? It seems the ultimate goal is to force all TV stations off the air, but that is only my opinion.

post #796 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:

It seems the ultimate goal is to force all TV stations off the air, but that is only my opinion.

My O My! That's the first time I've heard that thrown out.

Bob 61231
post #797 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And where would WGCB move to?

That was just an example though (and not a great one). My main plans were to either:

Move WWSI from 49 to 10.
Move WPVI to channel 50.

Or:

Move WTVE from 25 to 50.
Move WPVI to channel 25.

Either works.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #798 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Isn't WPVI Philadelphia an ABC owned and operated? I think ABC Disney chose across the board to move all their owned and operated stations to their current analog channels (correct me if I am wrong). In most cases this means moving from a UHF to a VHF high. In Fresno California (yes, KFSN Fresno is owned and operated) the opposite is happening; they are giving up channel 9 for channel 30.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #799 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

The RF bandwidth for most TV/DTV tuners is 3-5 channels wide (18-30 MHz).
Hence, most of the FM band (88-108 MHz) is being received along with VHF CH6.
Nearby FM stations can desensitize your tuner and also generate intermods.

So overall, CH6 won't perform as well as other choices....
CH5 is also affected, but it's one more channel (6MHz) away from FM band....
Which is why good VHF Preamps include an FM Trap....

Recall that analog TV assignments were intentionally assigned on alternating
channels to avoid strong stations preventing reception of weaker stations.
Unfortunately, with DTV station duplication, this "rule" can no longer be followed.

and
and

post #800 of 7371 Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Isn't WPVI Philadelphia an ABC owned and operated? I think ABC Disney chose across the board to move all their owned and operated stations to their current analog channels (correct me if I am wrong). In most cases this means moving from a UHF to a VHF high. In Fresno California (yes, KFSN Fresno is owned and operated) the opposite is happening; they are giving up channel 9 for channel 30.

As I understand it, this only applies if their analog channel was 7.

post #801 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

The RF bandwidth for most TV/DTV tuners is 3-5 channels wide (18-30 MHz). Hence, most of the FM band (88-108 MHz) is being received along with VHF CH6.

I thought the FCC said digital stations could exist side-by-side with other digital or analog station, and not interfere with one another, due to the "advanced technology" of the 8-VSB standard?
Quote:

Quote:

WPVI has to vacate their DTV channel on 64, so they can't stay where they were at. They elected to return to 6, but I'm not sure if they had any other choice.

That's what I meant when I said "Remaining where they are (on 6)." You see, I have a very different perspective from you guys (as do most viewers):

- I'm still watching analog, so for me channel 6 IS channel 6. It has not moved, and will not be moving even when I switch to digital on Feb 18, 2009. It will stay on 6.
Quote:

VHF-Low band reception is problematic, especially in urban areas...

Yes but that doesn't answer my question of WHY it's problematic: "Why is there a technical problem?"
Quote:

It seems the ultimate goal is to force all TV stations off the air, but that is only my opinion.

You're serious?

Why would you say that?

If that had been the FCC's goal, they could have just stayed with analog.
post #802 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

- I'm still watching analog, so for me channel 6 IS channel 6. It has not moved, and will not be moving even when I switch to digital on Feb 18, 2009. It will stay on 6. Yes but that doesn't answer my question of WHY it's problematic: "Why is there a technical problem?"

The issue is that VHF low (channels 2-6, 54 -88 MHz) is prone to natural and man made interference that tears up digital. When you watch a VHF low station and see noise in the picture, that noise kills digital so the vast majority of stations did not want to remain in that spectrum.

Disney did everything they could to get WPVI off of channel 6 digital. But because of the density of the stations along the mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states, they were unable. They had a heck of a fight to keep WABC on channel 7 in New York and almost didn't get it and no where to put it. It was a last minute decision and pretty much agreeing to what ever condition the FCC put on them to get it.

Just because a station was on a channel in analog didn't mean it would fit in the digital world, even though that is not what the FCC told stations when all of this started 10 years ago. As time went on, the FCC continued to tighten interference restrictions to the point that for most stations, the power levels they would have to run on their analog channels would not cover their markets so they had to stay on their digital channels and those UHF stations who got lucky to get a VHF high digital assignment, now have first right of refusal over the older analog stations on the same channel because of the tighter restrictions on interference. The "first in rule." In this case, the first in rule applies to digital stations and older analog stations converting to digital on the same channel now have to show interference protection to the newer digital stations cutting many older stations coverage considerably.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #803 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As I understand it, this only applies if their analog channel was 7.

Nope, every ABC O&O is returning to the analog channel from whence they came.

As to Roger, digitals and analogs can co-exist side-by-side up to a point. There are certain restrictions as to where a side-by-side station can be located; for digitals this is within a 20 mile radius, and then not again til 80 miles out (they've waived this rule a LOT though to try and fit everyone in, but it's still in the FCC rules).

FM regularly trashes channel 6 in my experience. On my FM radio, I can hear the audio from WTVR in Richmond at my house on 87.7, but on my TV, I only hear the local religious station on 88.3 on channel 6. If I spin the antenna around to aim right at it, I can see and hear WTVR, but it still has FM interference riding on top of it.

And ABC didn't do everything they could to get off of channel 6, they did everything they could that didn't require moving any other station around. I still maintain they could have gotten another channel if they really wanted it, it just wouldn't be cheap.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #804 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope, every ABC O&O is returning to the analog channel from whence they came.

Thanks. It appears that there are only 10 ABC O&O stations, and I confirmed that they are all going back to their analog channel. However, WPVI is the only one with an analog channel on Low-VHF.

post #805 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry I'm going OT here, but ....

Quote:

FM regularly trashes channel 6 in my experience. On my FM radio, I can hear the audio from WTVR in Richmond at my house on 87.7, but on my TV, I only hear the local religious station on 88.3 on channel 6. If I spin the antenna around to aim right at it, I can see and hear WTVR, but it still has FM interference riding on top of it.

I have similar situation here. More below on what I've done to improve it.

Note/update: Of course, I don't think FCC usually(as least they didn't used to) allow hi-power Low-FM stations in areas near Ch 6 TV allocations (at least for analog) ....

Also, most broadband traps for FM broadcast band (including those in amps), I've had experience with seem to roll-off such that they seem to have little or no effect between about 88~90MHZ or so.

Since I have several blow-torch FM's in various directions, including between 88~89MHZ and, since I like to occasionally watch local news from a couple of weak analog 6's 80~100 miles distant, and also because I like to DX, including on 6 ... I've found something that works pretty well in my situation for that ... Hopefully this very rough diagram is "readable enough" :

----------------------------------------

Winegard PR5030 VHF ANT--->>Winegard CA8800 FM/TV band seperator(note: think it can be used as a FM/TV band combiner as well, but I don't recall for sure)

--->>>FM Out ----->> FM Receiver
CA8800<
--->>>TV out ----->> Winegard TRT-LO notch filter (tunable from 54~108 MHZ, ~12db notch, effects 2MHZ bandwidth at 1/2 power points) tuned for maximum effect at 88.7MHZ --- >> amp with broadband FM trap switched in ---- >> VHF/UHF combining with CM0549 --- > splitters/TV sets/DTV receivers/etc ...

--------
Note: A 2 way splitter could be used in place of the CA8800 as well, I've used both but the loss with the CA8800 is a bit lower than a 2 way splitter ....

Note: #2 - I've done some tests, and note that as it turns out It seems I don't really "need" to switch the FM trap on the amp in with this configuration, but it doesn't noticably "hurt" anything either to have it switched in, so why not ...)

With this setup -- I Watch "clean" weak analog channel 6 stations on TV, even when antenna is aimed right at a blow-torch 88.1MHZ FM and a channel 6 station in nearly same direction, and I listen to the 87.75MHZ (channel 6 audio) on FM receiver.

The TRT-LO does still effect the "top end" of channel 6/(including the audio carrier) slightly, don't know how that's going to work for any DTV channel 6 reception concerning whether or not it would be "better or worse" with the TRT-LO in line .....

Tuning the TRT-LO higher than 88.7 MHZ, and I start to get some degree of appreciable "noise" from the 88.1 MHZ FM(with antenna aimed in their direction) showing up/effecting TV channel 6 video, especially weak signal on 6 .... tune it any lower, and it starts to effect channel 6 video ....

But for analog 6 reception for time being, since I just listen to the analog 6 audio on the FM receiver(87.75MHZ) anyway, it doesn't matter .... It's better than what I get w/o the TRT-LO in line (whether or not an amp is used, BTW,) which is similar to what Trip described in his situation -- I.e. -- Something along the lines of watching channel 6 signal full of interference*, or better than listening to the low-FM stations(sometimes 2 or 3 at the same time) on the TV ....

* - If it is even strong enough to breaks through the mess when antenna is aimed "near" the nearby lo-FM stations, as probably is mostly created by the poor selectivity of the TV's tuner+the strong Lo-FM stations- for instance w/o the trap, I can't even "see" fairly weak signals on 6 I can see with the TRT-LO in line,

Note that Winegard doesn't make the TRT-LO or TRT-HI (tunable 174~216MHZ, about the same specs as TRT-LO's) anymore, think they were pretty inexpensive back when they did make them, I got mine for free from someone who gave a bunch of stuff away .... I'm Sure there are other such options, but then again, probably not much reason for most folks to "buy any stuff like that" if it's only going to help reception of full service analog ch 6 stations for a little more than 11 months ....

I also have a few other VHF traps in line before amp knocking down very strong local analogs on 2+7 (mostly for Dx'ing reasons, use a seperate antenna setup to receive those locally), and I can't wait to yank those out on 2/18/09 .... Not sure whether or not I'm going to take out the TRT-LO tuned for 88.7MHZ though, it certianly seems to work very well in my situation for analog 6 reception .....

Unless a LP in my area which has filed APP for a ch 6 DTV (from a transmit location only a few miles from a hi-power FM station on 88.5MHZ, LOL) .... Ever goes through (I doubt it will for various reasons, not limited to the ch 6 allocation but who knows) ----- DTV DX signals are probably going to be the only thing I'll have to test it with to see .... Post transistion, KBSD, KPTW, KTVM and WRGB should be especially good DTV E-skip targets on 6 for me ... I've logged both KBSD (several times) and WRGB (once) analogs since 2002 ....

Jeff
post #806 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought the FCC said digital stations could exist side-by-side with other digital or analog station, and not interfere with one another, due to the "advanced technology" of the 8-VSB standard?

- I'm still watching analog, so for me channel 6 IS channel 6. It has not moved, and will not be moving even when I switch to digital on Feb 18, 2009. It will stay on 6. Yes but that doesn't answer my question of WHY it's problematic: "Why is there a technical problem?"

Many stations were able to add their digital channel ADJACENT to their
existing analog channel, using a single, duplexed antenna that is less
expensive and no additional weight on the tower (but not in your area).

Although both strong signals fall within the RF bandwidth, they can still meet
the adjacent channel performance guidelines found in ATSC A/74 "Guidelines":
http://www.atsc.org/guide_default.html
[However, if DTV is running way low on power there could be problems....]

Obviously the above is a special case....and not applicable to you now.

With so many stations packed into the available spectrum, the much more
common problem is trying to receive a weak signal when a strong station is
either within two (and a few more!!!) channel positions or multiple strong
signals result in intermod distortion products on the desired channel(s).

Actual performance tests showed that HD-STBs and HDTVs from 2005 didn't
quite meet A/74. And most were far more sensitive to interference from
strong stations many channels away than allowed by A/74. [One was pathetic.]

New CECB coupon eligible converter boxes are REQUIRED to meet A/74
requirements, although recent tests by Microtune uncovered deficiencies in
one manufacturer's boxes:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/document...s-03-30-07.pdf
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/document...on-testing.pdf
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/DTVmanufacturers.pdf
http://www.microtune.com/news/2008Articles/MTLetter.pdf

=============================
Info. re Low-VHF performance was summarized here:
http://www.mstv.org/docs/techinfo.pdf

Which is deja vu to the answers I gave you in the Converter Box thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...S#post13312315

and
and

post #807 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Couple of questions ---

Can't seem to find a CP APP yet for WBDT, Dayton,OH (ACME owned) -- Other stations in my area which are moving to their current analog assignment have already filed, and have had their CP's for post-transition granted.

They are moving to their channel 26 analog assignment post-transition.

In their form 387(at link below) :

Section III

#4 they check the box next to "(iii) Licensee/Permitee has constructed a reduced post-transition facility and additional construction is needed to complete Licensee's/Permittee's fully authorized facility."

#5. They check "yes" for "Does the Licensee/Permitee hold a license or Construction permit for its final, DTV(post-transition) facility"

But, Only thing I can find for them involves their currently licensed facility on ch 18, which is what they are currently operating ....

Question #1 is, Is/can that be considered it's "final DTV (post transition) facility" even though it's on 18 not 26, and various other changes need to be made regarding the facility for post transition ?

If the answer to that is yes, then it makes sense that For #6(a), they check "a" (needs to modify ther license or CP in order to match the post-transition facilities defined in new DTV table of allotments)

But, then in 6(b), they indicate (at time of filing of the form 387) they expect to file for the CP or CP MOD needed by "3/15/2008" -- But I haven't seen any such filing showing up from them ... Either a form 301 or any other filing for CP MOD or amendment/etc. involving their current licensed facilities ....

Question #2: Perhaps I'm missing something/not looking in the right places ? Or, Maybe It will pop up soon ....

WBDT's form 387 here (requires PDF reader) :

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ility_id=70138

-----------------------

I Wonder how many stations which need to(especially those moving to current analog channel assignment post transition ) have yet to file for CP's/CP MOD's/etc for their post transition facilities ? Seems to me they might want to get that done fairly soon ....

Jeff
post #808 of 7371 Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Filings are still rolling in--all the Media-General stations came in this morning. I'm not sure why the filings are so late, but they are.

They may be holding out to try to maximize in August, but I don't see why they wouldn't just try to amend an existing CP instead. I can see a number of stations that seem like they'll be doing this (WNCN, KCET, to name two filed yesterday).

Looks like WBDT just made a mistake in their DTR filing.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #809 of 7371 Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

There are a couple of stations in San Francisco operating from Sutro Tower that have not sent in a CP application for the post transition channel. I haven't seen anything for KRON-4 for 38 or KGO-7 for 7. Both included information in the form 387 about the new channels, but have not submitted a 301 yet.

Larry
SF

post #810 of 7371 Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

Note/update: Of course, I don't think FCC usually(as least they didn't used to) allow hi-power Low-FM stations in areas near Ch 6 TV allocations (at least for analog) ....

Just a point of note:

In New Orleans:
  • WDSU-NBC Channel 6 (analog) 100kW.
  • WRBH (FM Radio Station) 88.3 51 kW.

Both of these stations have been on the air for decades (WDSU was something like the third or fourth licensed TV station in the United States).

When I moved to New Orleans and noticed these stations, it really shocked me because when I was in College, I was a DJ and engineer for WRCT in Pittsburgh (Carnegie Mellon's Radio Station). WRCT was and is at 88.3.

The year was 1982. We had applied for a power increase from 10 watts to 100 watts (big stuff, eh?) and the FCC made us go through hell and back proving that going from 10 to 100 watts would not interfere with a channel 6 some ~100 miles away!!

We basically ended up proving that the channel 6 they were worried about was utterly unreceivable anywhere WRCT was receivable, and the FCC granted the increase.

BTW: WRCT is now 1700 watts, but their antenna is directional so as to aim their signal away from that channel 6!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page