post #1351 of 2084 Old 02-08-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

Another DVR question. Any chance of remote storage? The box I have fills up fast

There is rumor of them implementing storage via an NAS (network attached storage) in a future update, but I don't know how concrete that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2084 Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post

My Internet issue seems to have been resolved. Now, if only Golf HD would say I am legal all would be well in the FiOS world again.

kes, any idea when they will resolve the Golf Channel issue for those of us who have the HD Extreme package.
post #1353 of 2084 Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM

I just tuned to the Golf Channel HD (Ch 593) and its UP!! BTW, I switched to FIOS in Dec (former Cox user) and am extremely happy with the service. Many thanks to dtv757 who wrote the order. He was very thorough and followed the install to its sucessful conclusion. If anyone is looking for help or info, dtv757 is a good resourse. I'm sure you will get great service like I did.
post #1354 of 2084 Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Fios is available where I live, and I'am thinking of switching form Cox. Is the MLS package available?
post #1355 of 2084 Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Al View Post

kes, any idea when they will resolve the Golf Channel issue for those of us who have the HD Extreme package.

Yep, about an hour ago
post #1356 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 AM

Two questions, Is cat5e a better connection from the ont to the router or is coax better? Also on the multi room dvr how does the signal go from one room to the other?
post #1357 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETsi View Post

Two questions, Is cat5e a better connection from the ont to the router or is coax better? Also on the multi room dvr how does the signal go from one room to the other?

This is a good question. I actually pulled cat6 myself from the ONT (in my garage) to a bedroom upstairs (where the router is for great coverage throughout my property). I also picked up cat6-rated connectors. When Verizon came here to install, they just had to connect the ends of the cat6 wire.

I don't have FiOS TV. If I do want to get it, do I need to make any adjustments??

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #1358 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETsi View Post

I've had no problems with a MOCA (coax) install (other than last week's hiccup which was a config problem on Vz's end). Unless you want to pull the Cat5 yourself you will get a coax install, so you would have to decide if it is worth the effort.

Edit: I should add though, if you are do a lot of torrent downloads and uploads you may want to go the Cat5 route because the Actiontec router (only option if you go w/the MOCA install) has an issue with the NAT table filling up quickly and locking up. Cat 5 install would allow you to use your own router.
post #1359 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Thank you for your quick response.I have just finishing running the cat5 so I'm ready. Now does anyone know about the mrdvr, do I need to run extra cables for that?
post #1360 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had no problems with a MOCA (coax) install (other than last week's hiccup which was a config problem on Vz's end). Unless you want to pull the Cat5 yourself you will get a coax install, so you would have to decide if it is worth the effort.

Edit: I should add though, if you are do a lot of torrent downloads and uploads you may want to go the Cat5 route because the Actiontec router (only option if you go w/the MOCA install) has an issue with the NAT table filling up quickly and locking up. Cat 5 install would allow you to use your own router.

Come again? I thought the Actiontec router was not an option, as it was also the modem? Is this not the case?

If so I definitely want to change my upcoming install and have some Cat5e run instead.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #1361 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Come again? I thought the Actiontec router was not an option, as it was also the modem? Is this not the case?

If so I definitely want to change my upcoming install and have some Cat5e run instead.

KES601... Actiontec is needed for TV guide info... correct?

Robert F Corbin

post #1362 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

I'm going to have to just give Verizon a call. I'm doing data only and don't care about TV Guide info.

post #1363 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, that is correct. It is required for VOD, Guide, and widgets.
post #1364 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no modem in the Vz setup. The Actiontec is simply a router that adheres to the MOCA standard. I don't remember the acronym, but it basically means it can do IP over coax as well as some other fancy stuff.

If you wanted to use your own router, I believe you would have both coax and cat5/6 going from ONT. The cat5/6 would go to your router, the coax would go into the Actiontec. Then you would ethernet the Actiontec (coax port being setup as lan only) to your own router.

Again, I could be wrong here since my setup is completely coax, but I think the above would be a do-able setup.
post #1365 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no modem in the Vz setup. The Actiontec is simply a router that adheres to the MOCA standard. I don't remember the acronym, but it basically means it can do IP over coax as well as some other fancy stuff.

If you wanted to use your own router, I believe you would have both coax and cat5/6 going from ONT. The cat5/6 would go to your router, the coax would go into the Actiontec. Then you would ethernet the Actiontec (coax port being setup as lan only) to your own router.

Again, I could be wrong here since my setup is completely coax, but I think the above would be a do-able setup.

Why would I need the Actiontec at all in that scenario?

post #1366 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Actiontec is sitting in the closest. I have cat6 running from the ONT to a jack in my grandson's bedroom upstairs. I have my Linksys router connected right into the wall. My wireless Internet speeds with the Actiontec were dropping about 25%... for some reason... I have great wireless speeds throughout the house and by poolside...

Robert F Corbin

post #1367 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, that is correct. It is required for VOD, Guide, and widgets.

Gotta have the guide stuff... How does the Verizon STBs get the infor from the router? Wirelessly??

Robert F Corbin

post #1368 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would I need the Actiontec at all in that scenario?

because in the setup kes laid out the Actiontec router is the only thing that will process the data(& video if you have it) signal from the ONT.

come to think of it even if you have Cat5/6 running straight from the ONT(if you can get Vz to enable the Cat5/6 port on the ONT) you'll probably still need the Actiontec or any other Vz-supplied router. for basically the same reason-AFAIK-that a Cox cable box won't work with a FiOS network even though it's the same basic model. it's a proprietary system, in other words.

edit: saw VARTV's followup post so I guess the above is wrong. ah well.

now for the other so far unanswered questions that have come up in recent posts:

Robert if you eventually want to go with FiOS TV(are you bored with Sunday Ticket? ) you don't have to do anything. Vz will split the data & video signals at the ONT & if your inside coax is good(& it certainly SHOULD be! ) they'll use it. shouldn't take more than a couple hrs. & most of that time will be spent enabling the boxes. bonus: I know the FiOS HD will look fantastic on that JVC LCoS.

as for the the multi-room DVR option that's a software upgrade that's enabled on Vz's end. order it & it should work with no action taken on the part of the sub.

BTW if I remember correctly(for my age ) MOCA = Mutimedia Over CoAxial(stretching it a little I suppose to come up with a pronounceable acronym.)

at least you know what an acronym IS kes which puts you one up on whoever writes the FiOS guide info(ex.-when Bio-HD ran the doc. on ABBA[yeah, I watched it! eye candy if nothing else ] the guide said the name ABBA was an anagram! granted I knew people in the '70s that thought their music was the work of the devil but speaking in Swedish tongues?!!)

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1369 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

on a less important note what's the likelihood we're getting ch 514(ION-HD) on Mon.?

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1370 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

on a less important note what's the likelihood we're getting ch 514(ION-HD) on Mon.?

WPXV is an O&O. Anyone know if Verizon and ION have a national agreement?

Robert F Corbin

post #1371 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotta have the guide stuff... How does the Verizon STBs get the infor from the router? Wirelessly??

over coax.

the model # of the Vz Motorola boxes is QIPxxxx with the IP part meaning internet protocol.
and AFAIK no one has mentioned the FiOS boxes having wireless capability(though I'm sure some would find that a VERY nice feature!!)

so apparently the guide info goes straight to the box over the coax cable & is processed there.

however I understand you STILL need the router in the signal chain.

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1372 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WPXV is an O&O. Anyone know if Verizon and ION have a national agreement?

Norfolk is on the list of the 1st 20 ION markets that will go HD on 2/16.

and until about 9 mons. to a yr. ago FiOS aired the main digital local ION ch(i.e. 49-1) in the HD tier-then dropped it, but kept the digital sub-chs(QUBO, et.al.).

so it appears there's still a carriage agreement for the ION digitals-but does ION going HD change the deal?

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1373 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

So I still need one last bit of clarification - if the only service I'm getting with Verizon is the Internet, can I forgo the use of the actiontec router completely?

post #1374 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Robert if you eventually want to go with FiOS TV(are you bored with Sunday Ticket? ) you don't have to do anything. Vz will split the data & video signals at the ONT & if your inside coax is good(& it certainly SHOULD be! ) they'll use it. shouldn't take more than a couple hrs. & most of that time will be spent enabling the boxes. bonus: I know the FiOS HD will look fantastic on that JVC LCoS.

as for the the multi-room DVR option that's a software upgrade that's enabled on Vz's end. order it & it should work with no action taken on the part of the sub.

The Sunday Ticket thing is hard to shake. The main reason before was I've been able to record OTA HD (two tuners) since October 2004. There was no FiOS at the time and Cox had maybe WTKR and WHRO in HD.

My neighbor across the street is getting fiber laid as we speak. Another neighbor left Cox several weeks ago. So 4 out of 16 homes on the street have some sort of FiOS product. I'm getting closer to plug the trigger. I would really, really miss ST...

Robert F Corbin

post #1375 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I still need one last bit of clarification - if the only service I'm getting with Verizon is the Internet, can I forgo the use of the actiontec router completely?

I have FiOS Internet only. I am not using the Actiontec router.

A bigger concern would be is that I think they have to set up the Actionec router. You'll then need to release the IP address. Connect your own router which should pick up a new IP address.

I had a problem where the Actiontec wouldn't release the IP address so I called some FiOS tech # (it was a direct call, no automated prompts) and had the tech release it on their end. Plugged in my own router and all was well...

Robert F Corbin

post #1376 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got word that Verizon will be "ready" for the HD feed of WPXV. Not sure what "ready" means. WPXV-HD will not go live on COX or Charter in the near term...

Robert F Corbin

post #1377 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sunday Ticket thing is hard to shake. I'm getting closer to plug the trigger. I would really, really miss ST...

Seeing the Ravens, Steelers, Redskins and Cowboys every week makes me cringe...

Robert F Corbin

post #1378 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible for this STB to record two programs at once while a third is being watch in my main room. AND at the same time, can another person in another room was a recorded program off of the multi-room DVR??

Robert F Corbin

post #1379 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got word that Verizon will be "ready" for the HD feed of WPXV. Not sure what "ready" means. WPXV-HD will not go live on COX or Charter in the near term...

in this context "ready" probably means "noncommital". or "we can probably add the channel the same day but just in case it don't work..."

as for the cablecos the only one that has said anything so far about adding ION-HD is Cablevision.

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1380 of 2084 Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in this context "ready" probably means "noncommital". or "we can probably add the channel the same day but just in case it don't work..."

It'll be on 514 when everyone is ready... Hahaha...

Robert F Corbin

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page