AVS Forum banner

Mexican HDTV

132K views 711 replies 55 participants last post by  TheMightyQuinn 
#1 ·
In Mexico They have planned an 18 year Digital TV Transition, this includes six Phases. They Say it's because of Poverty and geography. They Adopted ATSC on July 2nd 2004, That's why the first Phase Starts on July 5th 2004. Before that There were Experimental broadcast in Mexico City. There is supposed to be a report that was due on June 2007, but I cant find it on the COFETEL(Mexican FCC) website. Starting this year there is Suppose to be a Report Every Year.

Digital Presence = At least 20% of what is reached by the Analog signal

Digital Replication = At least 90% of what is reached by analog Signal

Phase I (July 5th, 2004 - December 31st 2006)

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in the Following cities:

México, D.F.

Monterrey, N.L.

Guadalajara, Jal.

Tijuana, B.C.

Mexicali, B.C.

Cd. Juárez, Chih.

Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas

Matamoros, Tamaulipas

Reynosa, Tamaulipas

Phase II (January 1st, 2007 - December 31st 2009)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase I

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Phase III (January 1st, 2010 - December 31st 2012)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase II

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

All digital Channels must Broadcast at Least 20% HDTV. At least one hour during Primetime, and at least one hour during the morning.

Phase IV (January 1st, 2013 - December 31st 2015)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase III

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Phase V (January 1st, 2016 - December 31st 2018)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase IV

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 150 thousand people or more.

Phase VI (January 1st, 2019 - December 31st 2021)

Digital Replication of all Analog Signals

The Analog signal Can be Turned off in a Region once COFETEL determines that there is a High enough presence of Digital TVs.

Currently There Are 63 Digital Channels in Mexico There are:

9 in Mexico DF

6 in Monterrey

5 in Guadalajara

7 in Tijuana

3 in Juarez

4 in Mexicali

2 in Reynosa

5 in Matamoros

4 in Nuevo Laredo

TV Networks And HDTV Programing.

First I Would like to say that this is By Far The Best HD Programing I've Ever Seen American HD looks like Crap Compared to this.
I think this is, because the Channels use all the Bandwidth for one channel.

TV Azteca 25 HD ( 1080i)

Programing From Azteca 13. Currently they show these shows in HD

Venga La Alegria

Para Todos

All the News shows

Ventanendo

Only the studio is in HD all the footage isn't Paty Chapoy actually looks pretty in HD.

The 3 Nighttime Novelas

One Futbol game a week

Los Protagonistas

DeporTV

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

TV Azteca 24 HD (1080i)

Info 7

HD Football(Soccer) Sometimes

The Oscars in SD

The Stupid Bowl(Super Bowl, Sorry but I don't like this so called sport)

Info 7

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

Canal De Las Estrellas HD(1080i)

News

4 Novelas

HD Football(Soccer)

La Jugada

La Rosa de Guadalupe

Noticiero Televisa Deportes

Canal 5 Televisa(1080i)

EL Pantera

13 Miedos

Y ahora Que Hago

SOS Sexo y Otros Secretos(Mexican Version Of Sex and The City)

I'm Assuming lots of Their other shows are in HD since They come from America.

What Really ticks me of is that they Crop shows That were shown Letterbox on NBC on the Analog Channel.

Canal 9 Televisa

I Have heard them say sometimes during the Futbol games that some of the games are in HD.

Canal 4 Televisa

I Have No Idea

Proyecto 40

I Have No Idea

Multimedios Television

I don't Know

The Mexican HDTV Channels I'm getting in EL Paso, TX The border with Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua are:

11-1 XHCJE TV Azteca 13 HD

20-1 XHCJH TV Azteca 7 HD

32-1 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas HD

32-2 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas SD

See less See more
#453 ·
Yeah, my head hurt last night, it was either sidebar Azteca, analog Azteca, Analog Televisa or SD Telemundo, I stuck with analog Televisa (at least they had funny bits), what's wrong with TV Azteca lately?, if there's a manual of how to lose viewers TV Azteca wrote it last night...

#454 ·
#455 ·
Hopefully they will be up soon, Ch. 44 hasn't mentioned anything (it's the worst channel signal I receive currenty, if I change orientation I get it well but all the other local channels look bad).

So no hope for Televisa's Channel 5 yet? is taking forever to get it here..

#456 ·
Is anyone from border areas receiving any new Mexican DTV channels now that the DTV transition is over in the US. Some people like Jeff and others from San Diego say they have had problems receiving the Tijuana channels, because of cochannel interference.

I saw a story on the local news on Univision yesterday, that was about the DTV Transition and Juarez viewers. They said that many viewers in Juarez would no longer be able to watch the American channels. They also interviewed some people who said they were going to buy converter boxes in El Paso.

#457 ·
I get all Mexican stations from my location 92117 using a Terk HDTVa indoor anthena.

XHAS-DT 33.1 (D34) used to be very weak, but it appears now that they have been able to significantly improved their signal.

On the San Diego side Univision 51.1 and Telefutura 51.2 went digital at around 3:00 PM on June 12. Station KDTF-LD on channel 51. Power 12.4Kw from Mount San Miguel.

From Mexico, still waiting if and when channels 44 (for XHBJ, Canal 5) and 47 (XHDTV MyTV) will light up.

#459 ·
Well Cube, that´s the exactly thing thats going to occur in every border city with the U.S.: to buy dtv converters or HDTV sets or, even subscribe to cable tv that has the U.S. local channels.

XHAS-DT 33-1 boost up their power and installed a new antenna array days ago (they removed the older analog antenna and placed a new one).

About Telefutura and Univisión in San Diego (51-1 and 51-2) right here in Tijuana i can´t get those channels and i looked the coverage area map and with 12.4 kW E.R.P it should reach Tijuana well since i have a line of sight with Mount San Miguel, but if the radiation pattern is not pointed to the south well, i can´t get it. This is the file with the coverage map: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...346&q_num=5110

Yes, i´m waiting too that XHBJ-DT will sign in on the air soon this year or the next.

#463 ·
Actually that game, and the one before it South Africa vs Iraq, were both shown in Stretch-o-Vision. I Checked on the Analog channel and they they were both showing the same image. If It had been in HD, the Scorebox would have been in the middle on the HD channel.

Here's screenshots of the game were they showed an HDTV they have at the stadium. One of them is the original broadcast, and the other is edited to be 4:3.

Notice how the HDTV is much wider in the 16:9 image, and also if you look closely, you can see that the scorebox is in the middle. Also on 4:3 image the Referee doesn't look out of proportion.

Also during the New Zealand vs Spain game, both TV Azteca, and Televisa tried to make game HD, and they couldn't. The both flipped the switch, several times, but the game still stayed in S-o-V.

#465 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo90061 /forum/post/16652585

Was the last episode of Mañana es para Siempre in HD?

Yes, my wife was a happy viewer, and lasted about 3 hours...

Well they have their "novelas" finals, we have our sports finals, I was happy watching NBA in the other TV LOL.

On the sports topic, another big dissapointment on both TVAzteca and Televisa, the FIFA Confederation games in SD...

Just want to confirm if other cities got it in HD, I know that ESPN2 HD had it in HD, so the cameras are there, perhaps the HD signal is too expensive for them?

#466 ·
I need to know from someone in El Paso if Ch 29.3 is still skipping and audio is off sync. I noticed that DrLar and cube799 are in El Paso and DrLar mentioned that his wife watched the finale of a novela in HD. At my house i get that channel, 29.3, but can't watch it because its always skipping. Do you have the same problem?

#468 ·
I didn't notice the audio, I wasn't listening to the Telenovela, LOL.

But if necessary my TV has audio skipping feature, if you see that audio is late or early you can adjust the value to match..

#469 ·
TV Azteca Juarez is in SD 480i on both channels right now. Today at about 5:30 PM or so, they had problems with the HD during the commercial on Ventaendo. The Picture started break up, and there were Green and Purple pixels and lines. After that they switched to the 480i Signal, and the Hd Signal came back sometime around 6 PM. About half an hour or so later thought they switched to the SD signal, and it's still that way rght now.

#470 ·
Yesterday both the TV Azteca Juarez channels switched to HD sometime around 9:30 PM. They stayed that way until about 1 PM today when they switched to the 480i signal. At About 5 PM The switched back to 1080i signal until about 6:30 pm when It broke again and they had to switch to the 480i signal.

#471 ·
Yeah, Azteca is having some problems, and I think maybe general, again yesterday their usual HD soap operas were in SD, they usual analog logo was present and not the "13HD" one... like they lost the HD content somewhere..

#474 ·
Escept yesterday, everywhere the Brazil-Italy game was in SD-SOV

Worst being Televisa with their extra pixelization.. choice was either TV Azteca or Univision to watch that game..

#476 ·
Too bad I can't go to the movies everyday, it's too hot to go outside, I maybe playing video games or something else, TV is dead until mid september.. LOL

I'm betting next 2 Mexico National Team are gonna be in SD..

#477 ·
Confirmed the 2 Mexico national team games in SD, and the awful kind, it's worse than the SD of the Conferation games, and they had HD equipment on site, I saw some pre-game showing of the equipment they had outside, one of the trailers with the antennas said HD on the side with big letters...

A big FAIL for the 3 networks that show it. Perhaps Telemundo HD (were available) did show it in HD..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.