AVS Forum banner

Mexican HDTV

132K views 711 replies 55 participants last post by  TheMightyQuinn 
#1 ·
In Mexico They have planned an 18 year Digital TV Transition, this includes six Phases. They Say it's because of Poverty and geography. They Adopted ATSC on July 2nd 2004, That's why the first Phase Starts on July 5th 2004. Before that There were Experimental broadcast in Mexico City. There is supposed to be a report that was due on June 2007, but I cant find it on the COFETEL(Mexican FCC) website. Starting this year there is Suppose to be a Report Every Year.

Digital Presence = At least 20% of what is reached by the Analog signal

Digital Replication = At least 90% of what is reached by analog Signal

Phase I (July 5th, 2004 - December 31st 2006)

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in the Following cities:

México, D.F.

Monterrey, N.L.

Guadalajara, Jal.

Tijuana, B.C.

Mexicali, B.C.

Cd. Juárez, Chih.

Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas

Matamoros, Tamaulipas

Reynosa, Tamaulipas

Phase II (January 1st, 2007 - December 31st 2009)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase I

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Phase III (January 1st, 2010 - December 31st 2012)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase II

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

All digital Channels must Broadcast at Least 20% HDTV. At least one hour during Primetime, and at least one hour during the morning.

Phase IV (January 1st, 2013 - December 31st 2015)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase III

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Phase V (January 1st, 2016 - December 31st 2018)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase IV

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 150 thousand people or more.

Phase VI (January 1st, 2019 - December 31st 2021)

Digital Replication of all Analog Signals

The Analog signal Can be Turned off in a Region once COFETEL determines that there is a High enough presence of Digital TVs.

Currently There Are 63 Digital Channels in Mexico There are:

9 in Mexico DF

6 in Monterrey

5 in Guadalajara

7 in Tijuana

3 in Juarez

4 in Mexicali

2 in Reynosa

5 in Matamoros

4 in Nuevo Laredo

TV Networks And HDTV Programing.

First I Would like to say that this is By Far The Best HD Programing I've Ever Seen American HD looks like Crap Compared to this.
I think this is, because the Channels use all the Bandwidth for one channel.

TV Azteca 25 HD ( 1080i)

Programing From Azteca 13. Currently they show these shows in HD

Venga La Alegria

Para Todos

All the News shows

Ventanendo

Only the studio is in HD all the footage isn't Paty Chapoy actually looks pretty in HD.

The 3 Nighttime Novelas

One Futbol game a week

Los Protagonistas

DeporTV

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

TV Azteca 24 HD (1080i)

Info 7

HD Football(Soccer) Sometimes

The Oscars in SD

The Stupid Bowl(Super Bowl, Sorry but I don't like this so called sport)

Info 7

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

Canal De Las Estrellas HD(1080i)

News

4 Novelas

HD Football(Soccer)

La Jugada

La Rosa de Guadalupe

Noticiero Televisa Deportes

Canal 5 Televisa(1080i)

EL Pantera

13 Miedos

Y ahora Que Hago

SOS Sexo y Otros Secretos(Mexican Version Of Sex and The City)

I'm Assuming lots of Their other shows are in HD since They come from America.

What Really ticks me of is that they Crop shows That were shown Letterbox on NBC on the Analog Channel.

Canal 9 Televisa

I Have heard them say sometimes during the Futbol games that some of the games are in HD.

Canal 4 Televisa

I Have No Idea

Proyecto 40

I Have No Idea

Multimedios Television

I don't Know

The Mexican HDTV Channels I'm getting in EL Paso, TX The border with Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua are:

11-1 XHCJE TV Azteca 13 HD

20-1 XHCJH TV Azteca 7 HD

32-1 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas HD

32-2 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas SD

See less See more
#528 ·
Hey, Sky guy:

Thanks for sharing some pictures about the new Sky+HD receiver, it has an HDMI output and in the front pannel 4 leds that will tell about the scan resolution (480i, 480p, 720, 1080). I believe that most of the HD channels will be 1080i (including national networks from Mexico City).

How about the satellite dish, is it different from the normal dishes (LNB)?

Can you take some pictures about the HD channels on that system to see how they look like too.

I believe that the lease price of the receiver will be expensive, that´s what my brother told me. Despite that, congratulations on your new adquisition, you will be able to watch the next FIFA world cup in HD.

#529 ·
Wowowowow.. modem? SATA? 2 Ethernet? USB? that's a lot of inputs/outputs there.... disappointed in the HDMI qty.. I would have wanted at least 2.. (one in front, one in back)..

#530 ·
Looks exactly like the DirecTV receiver, including color scheme. Different labeling of course.

#531 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker1973 /forum/post/18332948

congratulations on your new adquisition, you will be able to watch the next FIFA world cup in HD.

Hey, nitewalk... no, unfortunately that box isn't mine -- I pulled those shots from some Spanish-language DirecTV forum. I live in the U.S. and will have to wait until maybe May to get one from the black... uh, I mean "grey" market.

#532 ·
For about the last 3 weeks or so both TV Azteca & Televisa seem to be having problems showing HD Fútbol games. First TV Apesta hasn't shown any Fútbol games in HD For the last 3 weeks. They've only shown some of Team Mexico Games in HD, but they didn't show the game that was played in The New Santos stadium in HD.
Also last Friday they showed the beginning of the Estudiantes Tecos game with sidebars, but then when the guy realized that the sidebars weren't going away, he turned them off and switched showing the game in Stretch-o-Vision.

Also for about 3 weeks Televisa hasn't shown any of the Sunday morning games in HD on Canal del las Estrellas HD, but they have shown the America games in HD.
I really don't understand why they wouldn't show the Sunday morning games in HD, if they used to show them in HD before. I wonder if this could be a local problem and the guy there is forgetting to flip the switch for the morning games?

#533 ·
For about the last Week or so Televisa has been showing another Sky HD Commercial, that is for the Real Madrid vs Barcelona Game in HD on April 10th.

So I'm assuming that Sky HD Should be available before April 10th.

Also searching the internet I Found this:

#535 ·
Isn't CNN HD only 1/2 HD? meaning only in-studio shots are HD and outside cameras (where the news matter) are in SD?

#536 ·
Speaking of lack of HD, TV Azteca 7 "HD" seems to be completely lacking HD. It seems that they may have canceled their only HD show Info 7 tarde!
I've been checking for about a week, and it seems this show isn't airing anymore. instead they're airing cartoons or some other kids shows.

#538 ·
Is the offer for the 64 matches on World Cup still up? meaning if you contract SKY HD you'll be getting them all free?

I maybe tempted to get it soonish..

I do want to watch all "Canal 5" original series in HD, like "Mujeres Asesinas", "El Pantera", "Los Simuladores", etc.

BTW tonight on Univision HD, Mujeres Asesinas is announced in HD, I missed previous episodes, this would be my first ever M.A. in HD..

#539 ·
Well according to this link the offer for the world cup games is still available.
http://www.sky.com.mx/flat/Boletines.../804396-b.html

Also right now I noticed something on TV Azteca 7 HD. It seems like they were showing a movie in HD. I didn't catch the name, but it was about a family that was being attacked by a bunch of lions. The weird thing is that I put the analog channel and it seems that they were showing the movie all squished, everything was too tall, and too skinny.

#540 ·
Really? I haven't seen any HD that's not a sports event on "Azteca 7" for over a year now..

#542 ·
Right now, TV AZTECA "HD" is showing the Pachuca vs Monterrey game in Stretch-o-Vision!!!
I really don't understand what's wrong with these people!
They haven't shown a Fútbol Game in HD, in a really long time, in the Juarez area at least, AND NOW they start the Mexican League Finals by showing a game that isn't in HD!!
Joy Progress!!

#544 ·
Yeah, it does sound likely that TV Azteca has taken HD equipment to South Africa. What I don't understand is why they don't take HD cameras from shows that are prerecorded like the Novelas, and use those to show at least some of the fútbol finals games in HD.

#546 ·
Yeah Azteca shown the last Mexico Vs Italy game in HD in their Ch. 20.1

Well at least it seems they will broadcast all the upcoming World Cup games in HD.. while Televisa, at least here in Juarez only has one HD channel Vs. the 2 Azteca's

Is gonna be a real image quality contest, at least this friday 3 networks will broadcast the same game in HD, we'll see who's the big winner there. I think it will come to the least compressed image will take the win, Televisa uses a lot so I think they'll lose.

#547 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar /forum/post/18741190

Yeah Azteca shown the last Mexico Vs Italy game in HD in their Ch. 20.1

Well at least it seems they will broadcast all the upcoming World Cup games in HD.. while Televisa, at least here in Juarez only has one HD channel Vs. the 2 Azteca's

Is gonna be a real image quality contest, at least this friday 3 networks will broadcast the same game in HD, we'll see who's the big winner there. I think it will come to the least compressed image will take the win, Televisa uses a lot so I think they'll lose.

The game was shown in HD here in Tijuana as well. The picture quality on Azteca 7 HD (channel 29-1 here in TJ) was great! Have to agree with you, Televisa HD is not as good.

#548 ·
Well Univision is going all-out and broadcasting the 64 games in HD.. only 10 will be in Telefutura, those are the ones that we will likely see in SD because our local Telefutura channel isn't HD yet. but maybe those 10 games will be on either Televisa or TvAzteca.

SKY Mexico is claiming he has a dozen "exclusive" games though...

#550 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco1986 /forum/post/18748825

I think the correct number is 8. Telefutura will have the last games of the group stage (when all 4 teams of each group are playing at the same time). One game will be on Telefutura while the other will be on Univision.

Yeah, that´s correct. Too bad that Univisión and Telefutura are broadcasting on the same frequency in San Diego and also are on a low power transmitter, i can´t get those channels.

Televisa and Tv Azteca will broadcast almost 24 games of the group series (first phase), some on XEW 2 and XHDF 13 and others on XHGC 5 and XHIMT 7. I hope those games are broadcasted in HD. Too bad that XHBJ-DT 45-1 isn´t on the air yet.

Greetings from Tijuana.

#551 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker1973 /forum/post/18749092

I hope those games are broadcasted in HD.

Greetings from Tijuana.

Televisa and TV Azteca will surely be broadcasting in HD. Although, at least personally, the TV Azteca HD broadcast of the Mexico-Italy game looked better than Televisa. So probably I will be watching the world cup on TV Azteca.

Anyhow, greetings from Playas de Tijuana!

#552 ·
Paco, do you receive XHUAA-DT in Playas?, last thursday i couldn´t check the game because of bad reception (besides that i live some kilometers on south-southeast of Mt. San Antonio), that was an issue that i have several months ago (since 2007 if i´m not mistaken). But i noticed a change on that afternoon and last friday morning (just before i was heading to work) and checked the strengh signal and the bars showed a full signal strengh, and had a stable signal, without corrected errors or pixelation and a blank screen because of weak reception. I also notice that last friday in the early morning hours both channels XHUAA-DT and XEWT-DT were off the air, maybe Televisa engineers were doing something to improve their signal strengh.

So, how is your reception of XHUAA-DT and XEWT-DT right now in your community in Playas de Tijuana?

I certainly hope to watch the world cup games in HD, were at less than 48 hrs for the South Africa vs Mexico opening game.

Greetings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.