Mexican HDTV - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since Yesterday XEPM ch 2-1 is in HD. They stopped doing the Stretch-o-Vision and are showing 4:3 content with blue sidebars that say TuCanal. Today they showed Friday's Novelas and the 2 o Clock news in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Finally, I think the last one, it's a bid odd being a subsidiary of Televisa, the richest of the 2 networks..

I guess the HD cameras finally arrived?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 01-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Networks for 2015 ?

I thought I heard that for 2015 there was to be 2 new networks (public tv ?). Anybody have any details of what they are and when they'll be here in Tijuana ?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The channels are currently in the bidding process and we'll know which of the three bidders will win on March 19.

Frequencies have been allotted for these channels already (123 per channel times two nationwide), but it will likely take years for transmitter and network buildout. I'd imagine Tijuana will be among the earlier buildouts.

——

As an aside, some other items:

> Analog shutoff: Reynosa-Matamoros and Nuevo Laredo, scheduled for the 14th. This is the first under the new TDT policy and related procedures.

> New stations: More and more each week. Televisa and Azteca are working at breakneck pace to bring transmitters online across the country. Recent Televisa sign-ons include Guaymas, Son., Mazatlán, Tepic, and Zamora, Mich. Azteca is on now in Durango, Cd. del Carmen, Camp., and Aguascalientes. In Colima and Oaxaca both put on transmitters in the last two months.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yesterday was the Analog Shutdown in Reynosa, Matamoros, and Nuevo Ladero.

Here is a video of the the analog Shutdown at XHAB.

The analog shutdown for Ciudad Juarez and Monterrey that was scheduled for November 26, 2014 was cancelled. The new date is December 31, 2015 for all of Mexico. They already started giving away the 24 inch HDTVs in Juarez.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Mexican government decided that the analog shutdown will be July 14, 2015 for Tecate, BC, and Ciudad Juarez, CH.

http://eleconomista.com.mx/industria...-juarez-tecate

Hopefully some of the Juarez Digital Channels will increase their power levels, because sometimes I have trouble receiving XEPM 2-1, XHJUB 56-1, and XHIJ 44-1. Also when there is a lot of wind 32-1 XHJCI pauses.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A communication from the Federal Telecommunications Institute (IFT) has set the analog shutoff date at December 11 for the following cities:
  • San Felipe BC
  • Ciudad Allende Coah.
  • Parras de la Fuente Coah.
  • Saltillo Coah.
  • Celaya Gto.
  • Leòn Gto.
  • Querétaro Qro.
  • Caborca Son.
  • Agua Prieta Son.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Some updates from the Arizona/Sonora border:

In Agua Prieta, XHAPS is broadcasting Telemax HD on RF 22, virtual 12.1, and is no longer putting out an analog signal on channel 12. XHAPT 17 is still broadcasting Canal de las Estrellas in analog, observed at about 6:15 pm MST. Analog shutoff is December 11, so XHAPT must be digital by next month - likely on RF channel 17, its final digital assignment, rather than on its interim digital assignment, channel 39.

In Naco, XHNAC has Telemax HD on RF 33, virtual 7.1; analog XHNAC was off the air. It is the town's only TV station, so analog shutoff has already come to Naco.

In Cananea, XHCAN has Azteca 7 HD on RF 25, virtual 4.1. No analog signal was detected. XHCCS and XHCNS also broadcast in Cananea, but I was not able to pick up either station in either digital or analog format. I have picked up XHCNS in analog on channel 56 in the past. Analog shutoff is still scheduled for December 31.

In Nogales, XHFA has Azteca 13 HD on RF 15, virtual 2.1, XHNSS has Cadena Trés on RF 31, virtual 7.1, XHNOA has Azteca 7 HD on RF 24, virtual 22.1 and XHNOS has Canal de las Estrellas on RF 41, virtual 50.x. Each of the above stations, except for XHNSS, is also broadcasting an analog signal on its original channel. XHNON, the Canal 5 station, is broadcasting exclusively in analog on channel 38, observed at about 10:00 pm MST. Analog shutoff is still scheduled for December 31.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On October 27th a new law goes into effect, that says that Repeaters of XEW, XHGC, XHDF, XHIMT, and the new Channel 3 in Mexico City, Imagen TV, have to have the same virtual channel as they do In Mexico City. So Repeaters of XEW(Televisa CH 2) have to be on 2-1, Repeater of XHGC(Televisa CH 5) Have to be on 5-1, Repeaters of XHDF(TV Azteca CH 13) have to be on 1-1(because That's the Channel they chose to move to For some reason), Repeaters of XHIMT(TV Azteca CH 7) have to be on 7-1 (unless that frequency is in use by the USA, like in Ciudad Juarez & other border cities) Repeaters of Imagen TV have to be on 3-1. Here in Ciudad Juarez the Transition is going to be on October 25th. The New Ch 3 Imagen TV Debuted on October 17 in Most of the Country. So Don't forget to rescan to get the Mexican Channels.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Azteca's decision to move to 1 is because, well...it can be done. And Azteca 13 is closer to Las Estrellas and Imagen TV in terms of its programming (Estrellas is its direct competitor).

As to the virtual channel shuffle, some border markets do get weird. In Tijuana, only Azteca 13 and Canal Once are moving because all the traditional full-power stations overlap with LA stations' contours around Oceanside. In Mexicali and Juárez, Azteca 7 is remaining on 20 (which has otherwise been protected nationwide for the benefit of a public broadcaster). XEJ was initially assigned 56 but then decided to use its RF of 50. There's also some channel variance in Nuevo Laredo though it's not necessary.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Imagen TV is also supposed to be using virtual channel 18 in border areas. Also, regional networks, such as Sonora's Telemax and Monterrey's Multimedios TV, have their own network virtual channel assignments - 15 for Telemax (channel 6 is reserved for future national use, but is also being used in Tijuana) and 12 for Multimedios. Local stations have also been displaced. When Nogales Azteca 7 station XHNON changed from 24.1 to 7.1, independent XHNSS, which has been on analog channel 7, was forced to change its virtual channel. No longer 7.1, it will become 8.1.

The official switch date is 10/27, but stations can begin changing over today. Azteca has already announced 10/25 as its switchover date.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 PM

Imagen TV just showed up today in the Tijuana area. It's on real channel 33 and and virtual channel 3.1. There are no subchannels. The program information shows "XHCTTI". I'm not sure whether that's the station name; i can't find any info on it.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:41 AM

XHCTTI is the correct call sign; in Mexicali, it's XHCTME. The calls are the standard "XH" for most Mexican stations, plus "CT" for Cadena Trés, which was Grupo Imagen's previous network, plus the city - "TI" for Tijuana, "ME" for Mexicali, etc.

Channel 3 was the virtual channel assigned to Imagen TV, but border-area stations were tentatively assigned virtual channel 18 as of 10/3/16, pending coordination with the FCC. On 10/19/16, however, the IFT put out a document showing that Imagen TV would be able to use virtual channel 3 everywhere in their initial rollout of 40 stations. Within 3 years, there will be 123 stations, mostly using virtual channel 3, except in areas where there is already a virtual channel 3. An example of such is in Agua Prieta, Sonora, where the Imagen TV station will need a different virtual channel, due to KFTU channel 3 in neighboring Douglas AZ. Imagen won't be able to use 18 there, either, due to KTTU channel 18 in nearby Tucson AZ.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhett View Post
XHCTTI is the correct call sign; in Mexicali, it's XHCTME. The calls are the standard "XH" for most Mexican stations, plus "CT" for Cadena Trés, which was Grupo Imagen's previous network, plus the city - "TI" for Tijuana, "ME" for Mexicali, etc.

Channel 3 was the virtual channel assigned to Imagen TV, but border-area stations were tentatively assigned virtual channel 18 as of 10/3/16, pending coordination with the FCC. On 10/19/16, however, the IFT put out a document showing that Imagen TV would be able to use virtual channel 3 everywhere in their initial rollout of 40 stations. Within 3 years, there will be 123 stations, mostly using virtual channel 3, except in areas where there is already a virtual channel 3. An example of such is in Agua Prieta, Sonora, where the Imagen TV station will need a different virtual channel, due to KFTU channel 3 in neighboring Douglas AZ. Imagen won't be able to use 18 there, either, due to KTTU channel 18 in nearby Tucson AZ.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I was surprised to see a new channel pop up last night since I had just scanned the night before.

With a UHF antenna in my attic I'm pulling in 10 stations from Tijuana but only 8 stations from San Diego.

Now to learn me some Spanish...
Old 11-02-2016, 11:32 PM

All of that information is correct.

XHCTTI's site is near other Tijuana TV stations, corresponding to a site on Club 20/30 where Grupo Imagen owns a house (which is not where XHLTN broadcasts from!). Unfortunately, I don't have full ERP info. The FCC says 350 kW but that would be their maximum allowed. I suspect they are closer to 150/200 kW ERP.

I am awaiting full technical information from the IFT, but they have not put in new technical information on Imagen Televisión transmitters since September and their concession registry is actually missing stations that launched with the network (and are documented by other IFT sources, namely the virtual channel list published by another IFT bureau).
Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since October 25th XEJ Gala TV Channel 50-1 has been in HD. They seem to show the Local News in HD, and Gala TV Shows in HD. Recently I've been watching some of the World Series in HD, and it looks good. They still haven't shown any of the Liga MX Games yet, but it seems like they are going to show one this Saturday, lets see how it looks. I also want to see how Jaime Maussan looks in HD.
Old Today, 01:22 PM

On 11/21/2016, the IFT authorized Imagen TV to broadcast up to four subchannels on the 36 stations that it operates. The subchannels will be:
3.1 - Imagen TV
3.2 - Imagen TV (1 hr delay)
3.3 - Imagen TV (2 hr delay)
3.4 - Exc?lsior TV (except XHCTMX Mexico City)

Station XHCTRM Reynosa-Matamoros uses virtual channel 13.x, due to a conflict with American station KIII in Corpus Christi.

Stations may begin multiprogramming immediately, although most should require 15-30 days to begin. Stations are to notify the IFT when they commence multiprogramming.

Source: http://m.eleconomista.mx/industrias/...cion-imagen-tv
Old Today, 01:23 PM

The bidding process for the second new national network is set to commence November 28 and will run through December 23.

The bidding will be for 148 TV stations in 124 coverage areas, with 24 areas having a second channel, some of which could be in the upper VHF band.? The bidding earlier this year, which produced Imagen TV, was for 123 stations and coverage areas, and included no VHF stations.

Bidders will be evaluated on a points system, with a 15% bonus given to applicants who have no existing radio or TV presence, and a 10% bonus given to applicants who have a radio presence, but no television.

Source: http://m.eleconomista.mx/industrias/...noviembre-ift#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement