AVS Forum banner

Mexican HDTV

132K views 711 replies 55 participants last post by  TheMightyQuinn 
#1 ·
In Mexico They have planned an 18 year Digital TV Transition, this includes six Phases. They Say it's because of Poverty and geography. They Adopted ATSC on July 2nd 2004, That's why the first Phase Starts on July 5th 2004. Before that There were Experimental broadcast in Mexico City. There is supposed to be a report that was due on June 2007, but I cant find it on the COFETEL(Mexican FCC) website. Starting this year there is Suppose to be a Report Every Year.

Digital Presence = At least 20% of what is reached by the Analog signal

Digital Replication = At least 90% of what is reached by analog Signal

Phase I (July 5th, 2004 - December 31st 2006)

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in the Following cities:

México, D.F.

Monterrey, N.L.

Guadalajara, Jal.

Tijuana, B.C.

Mexicali, B.C.

Cd. Juárez, Chih.

Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas

Matamoros, Tamaulipas

Reynosa, Tamaulipas

Phase II (January 1st, 2007 - December 31st 2009)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase I

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Phase III (January 1st, 2010 - December 31st 2012)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase II

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1.5 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

All digital Channels must Broadcast at Least 20% HDTV. At least one hour during Primetime, and at least one hour during the morning.

Phase IV (January 1st, 2013 - December 31st 2015)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase III

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with 1 million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Phase V (January 1st, 2016 - December 31st 2018)

Digital Replication of Signal of Phase IV

Digital presence of Non Commercial signals in cities with Half A Million people or more.

Digital Presence of at Least 2 Commercial Signals in cities with 150 thousand people or more.

Phase VI (January 1st, 2019 - December 31st 2021)

Digital Replication of all Analog Signals

The Analog signal Can be Turned off in a Region once COFETEL determines that there is a High enough presence of Digital TVs.

Currently There Are 63 Digital Channels in Mexico There are:

9 in Mexico DF

6 in Monterrey

5 in Guadalajara

7 in Tijuana

3 in Juarez

4 in Mexicali

2 in Reynosa

5 in Matamoros

4 in Nuevo Laredo

TV Networks And HDTV Programing.

First I Would like to say that this is By Far The Best HD Programing I've Ever Seen American HD looks like Crap Compared to this.
I think this is, because the Channels use all the Bandwidth for one channel.

TV Azteca 25 HD ( 1080i)

Programing From Azteca 13. Currently they show these shows in HD

Venga La Alegria

Para Todos

All the News shows

Ventanendo

Only the studio is in HD all the footage isn't Paty Chapoy actually looks pretty in HD.

The 3 Nighttime Novelas

One Futbol game a week

Los Protagonistas

DeporTV

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

TV Azteca 24 HD (1080i)

Info 7

HD Football(Soccer) Sometimes

The Oscars in SD

The Stupid Bowl(Super Bowl, Sorry but I don't like this so called sport)

Info 7

Everything else is Shown in Stretch-O-Vision

Canal De Las Estrellas HD(1080i)

News

4 Novelas

HD Football(Soccer)

La Jugada

La Rosa de Guadalupe

Noticiero Televisa Deportes

Canal 5 Televisa(1080i)

EL Pantera

13 Miedos

Y ahora Que Hago

SOS Sexo y Otros Secretos(Mexican Version Of Sex and The City)

I'm Assuming lots of Their other shows are in HD since They come from America.

What Really ticks me of is that they Crop shows That were shown Letterbox on NBC on the Analog Channel.

Canal 9 Televisa

I Have heard them say sometimes during the Futbol games that some of the games are in HD.

Canal 4 Televisa

I Have No Idea

Proyecto 40

I Have No Idea

Multimedios Television

I don't Know

The Mexican HDTV Channels I'm getting in EL Paso, TX The border with Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua are:

11-1 XHCJE TV Azteca 13 HD

20-1 XHCJH TV Azteca 7 HD

32-1 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas HD

32-2 XHJCI Canal De Las Estrellas SD

See less See more
#3 ·
I live in Monterrey and I get the following hd channels on cable:

Multimedios

canal de las estrellas

tv azteca

Unfortunately I have only seen one show in hd! It's kinda silly that not even the news which have the most ratings are shown in hd.

What shows/movies have you seen in this channels in hd? At what time?

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 /forum/post/0

TV Azteca 25 HD ( 1080i)

Programing From Azteca 13. Currently they show these shows in HD

Venga La Alegria

8 AM - 11 AM Monday - Friday Mountain Time

8 AM - 11 Weekends Mountain Time
Quote:
Se Busca un Hombre

7:30 PM - 8:33 PM Weekdays

Quote:
Lo Que Callamos las Mujeres

6:30 PM - 7:30 PM Weekdays

Quote:
Animal Nocturno

11PM Friday

Quote:
Ventanendo Only the studio is in HD all the footage isn't

5:15 PM - 6:30 PM Weekdays

Quote:
TV Azteca 24 HD (1080i)

Movies

Documentaries

Planet Earth

Bikini Destinations

Planet Ocean

HD Football

The Oscars in SD

The Stupid Bowl

Football in Stretch-O-Vision

They Have The Schedule for this channel on The TV Azteca Website.

Quote:
Canal De Las Estrellas HD(1080i)

I'm Really not too sure since it seems like the Juarez version is Either broken or they are trying to save money by not showing HD.
They only show 30 Minutes or less of Muchachitas como Tu in HD La Familia Peluche And Juan Querendon in SD. Then They turn it off for Destilando Amor and this part makes me think their equipment is broken it takes them at most 5 minutes to turn on the Analog Stretch-O-Vision. To be Fair they did show All Of muchachitas in HD once and Almost all of it a couple of times, And The HD Logo Is Cool. They show Mujer Casos De La Vida Real in Letterbox, and I Think Bajo Las riendas del Amor is in Hd Since the Intro Is letterbox, I doubt They wouldn't be Able to find an HD Camera In Miami. Ive E-Mailed Them Quite A Few times at Esmas.com Televisa Networks and an E-mail address I found at the Televisa Website, But I didn't get A response. Has Anyone from Juarez Called The TV Station? IF they Don't Show Pasion In HD I'll Be very
. Seeing as how Univision is Probably going to show it in SD.

Muchachitas Como Tu - The HD can start Anytime Between 6 PM to 7 PM It usually Starts at 6:30 PM Look For The Red Logo With HD next to it.

I Think this is the Channel Your referring To That only shows one show in HD

Quote:
Canal 5 Televisa(720p or at least that what it says in Wikipedia)

EL pantera

9:20PM - 10:20 PM Monday After Heros

Quote:
13 Miedos

Y ahora que Hago

Thursdays
Quote:
Canal 9 Televisa

I Have No Idea

Canal 4 Televisa

No Idea

Proyecto 40

No Idea

Multimedios Television

I don't Know But would really like to find out since they're building a digital companion Channel in El Paso TX. I Would love To see Laura G in HD.

Is Multimedios Television In 1080i or 720P, is it even in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomod /forum/post/0

I live in Monterrey and I get the following hd channels on cable

What is your Cable Provider Because if it's the one that forces you to buy The DVR at 8000 Pesos, I would call them and complain about only getting one show in HD.

Also to everyone else If Canal de Las Estrellas HD is Broken Like the Juarez Version I recommend you E-Mail them So They Know People Are Watching the HD Channel And They Want HD, Also Tell them that You are Considering Watching TV Azteca HD. That Last Part should get Their Attention. I Know That When I E-mailed Telling them About the Muchachitas Problem, 2 or 3 Days Later They Turned on the HD At 6:15PM.

EDIT

Actually Here In the United states, Only the NBC Nightly News is in HD, And They only show the studio and the white house in HD. Also Some Local News Stations Do The News in HD. And We have had HD for About 8 Years.

Turbomod Did you not get the over the Air HDTV to Work.

I Found this video on Youtube about HD In Mexico DF.

#7 ·
I would like to see the Televisa Channel 5 in HD, so far it's only shown I think In Mexico City, Monterrey and Guadalajara, because they do some repeats of US shows that are in HD, like Heroes, CSI/Miami, etc. they look awful in regular analog..

What really ticks me off, and specially the Satellite Monopoly going on, SKY, the sole transmitter of the satellite signals has no plans to even start transmitin in HD, and they charge an arm and a leg for their basic programming, like 40 channels for $40US!.

They have the satellites, are swimming in money, but I think until they begin to lose customers to the cable companies that have HD, they will begin to think about it, after maybe 3 more years from now, they will start, they have to design their HD infrastructure, that includes maybe upgraded antennas, HD receivers and reprogramming channels. And when they do that I bet you my TV they will charge dearly for it...

To put it lightly, we have at work the SKY service, but you can't see any local channels on it, they tell us "get a UHF external antenna yourselves"

#8 ·
I would also like to see channel 5 in HD to watch EL Pantera in HD. The analog Channel looks awful it has A lot of snow. DRLar You're from El Paso right. So Can You tell me if the Juarez Canal De las Estrellas HD is doing HD for "Muchachitas Como TU" Or for Any other show. I'd Do it Myself, But I'm in Houston Right NOW.

I predict that Before the 2008 Olympics There will be an Explosion of Mexican HD Channels, and Hopefully, Channel 5 in Juarez and Azteca 7 will be one of them. I want to See Repeats Of LOST in HD.

#9 ·
Yeah, also waiting for Azteca 7 HD, very different from the 36-1 which is mostly commercial free, they air sometimes the same stuff as channel 20, specially live events, but in stretch-o-vision, one big exception was the FIFA World Cup 2006.

Perhaps they could start soon the 20-1 and have 3 Azteca channels vs 2 Hopefuls of Televisa.

And answering your question, I seldom view "telenovelas" but what I seen most in the Televisa repeater here it's all stretch-o-vision! I think the local repeater either doesn't have enough power or correct equipment for 1080i, heck not even the World cup looked good.

This is the place where they must have all 1080 on Mexican channels, the HDTVs are way cheaper to buy in El paso than the rest of Mexico, like you can buy a 42" plasma for around $1,000.00 while in Mexico City it costs a whoping $2,500.00! (same model and all). Even if paying a 30% import tax...

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar /forum/post/0

Yeah, also waiting for Azteca 7 HD, very different from the 36-1 which is mostly commercial free, they air sometimes the same stuff as channel 20, specially live events, but in stretch-o-vision, one big exception was the FIFA World Cup 2006.

They Also Showed The Mexican Football tournament and the Stupid Bowl In HD.

Quote:

And answering your question, I seldom view "telenovelas" but what I seen most in the Televisa repeater here it's all stretch-o-vision! I think the local repeater either doesn't have enough power or correct equipment for 1080i, heck not even the World cup looked good.

Actually They show some of muchachitas Como Tu in HD. They Usually Turn on The HD at around 6:00-6:30 PM. They should leave it on 24/7 the way TV Azteca does. I recently remember that I couldn't even get this channel until Sometime in March.

I Guess we know who is winning the HD War at least in Juarez, that's TV Azteca.

Quote:

This is the place where they must have all 1080 on Mexican channels, the HDTVs are way cheaper to buy in El paso than the rest of Mexico, like you can buy a 42" plasma for around $1,000.00 while in Mexico City it costs a whoping $2,500.00! (same model and all). Even if paying a 30% import tax...

Not to mention transportation and The toll Roads.

Also Does the Cable Company in Juarez Even offer HD Channels. I know that here in El Paso Time Warner Cable doesn't Offer the Mexican HD Channels, If they did I would seriously consider getting cable. Also on Juarez Cable I saw that they Offer the FOX Channel Dubbed into Spanish. This Channel Should be easy to Convert to HD.

#11 ·
I checked the schedule on zap2it . com for San Diego zipcode 92110 OTA and this is what I saw tonight.

ch 28 (28.1) XHJK-HD

Ventaneando 4:00-5:30 pm

Lo Que Callamos las Mujeres 5:30-6:30 pm

Se Busca un Hombre 6:30-7:30 pm

ch 22 (57.1) XHUAA-HD

Muchachitas Como Tu 7:00-8:00 pm Started as SD until the HD logo appeared at 7:58 pm.

Una Familia de Diez 8:00-8:30 pm

Yo Amo a Juan Querendon 8:30-9:30 pm

#12 ·

Quote:
Lo Que Callamos las Mujeres 5:30-6:30 pm

Se Busca un Hombre 6:30-7:30 pm

Stretch-O-Vision which is kind of weird seeing as how these shows are usually in HD, I guess the Images might be from before they turned on the HD.

Quote:
Muchachitas Como Tu 7:00-8:00 pm Started as SD until the HD logo appeared at 7:58 pm.

Well that sucks, I guess The Juarez Station isn't the only one having problems with the HD.

Quote:
Una Familia de Diez 8:00-8:30 pm

Stretch-O-Vision

Quote:
Yo Amo a Juan Querendon 8:30-9:30 pm

Stretch-O-Vision

#13 ·
I told you so, that's very much what I can see here... post some pics of the 36-1 from Juarez, HUGE difference, best of all is HD all day, not even the big 4 US can't match that! maybe except the PBS one (13-1).

#14 ·
Seems like XHUAA-HD switches to HD for 8:00 pm programming because the HD logo did not show up until 27 seconds before 8:00 pm tonight.

Callamos Mujeres is stretched for the whole hour but Se Busca un Hombre seemed ok. Not sure why one would be stretched and not the other one. Here is another pic.

Se Busca un Hombre

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2631 /forum/post/0

Callamos Mujeres is stretched for the whole hour but Se Busca un Hombre seemed ok. Not sure why one would be stretched and not the other one.

I think they just started doing HD this season, The episode you saw was from before they started Doing HD. Most of the time the episodes they show before Ventaneando are in Stretch-O-Vision.

#16 ·
I asked SKY support about HD last week, no response yet....

We have SKY at work and we are going for some 50" plasmas in the cafeteria area, I'm leaning towards just buying an aerial antenna an coax everything up since SKY is not showing signs of life in the HD department. I bet all the analog SKY transmissions will look awful i those plasmas, the best I can do is some S-video hookup, since the SKY receiver doesn't even have component video output.

#17 ·
New Azteca "novela" it's stretch-o-vision, quite a dissapointment (because it has several beauties in it...

Then the very next one "se busca un hombre seemed quite good they even have a HDTV in it LOL

#18 ·

Quote:

Then the very next one "se busca un hombre seemed quite good they even have a HDTV in it LOL

Yes, and sometimes they even show HD on the TV. They show the characters watching the News, and Press conferences in HD.

Quote:

We have SKY at work and we are going for some 50" plasmas in the cafeteria area, I'm leaning towards just buying an aerial antenna an coax everything up since SKY is not showing signs of life in the HD department. I bet all the analog SKY transmissions will look awful i those plasmas, the best I can do is some S-video hookup, since the SKY receiver doesn't even have component video output.

That sounds good, I would do that, and leave it On Channel 20-1 Azteca 24 HD all Day Long. No component Video Output, that should be a Crime.

#19 ·
Yeah, S-video look very good for a 480 analog signal, much better than coax and composite video.

Yeah and maybe I leave it at 13-1 because sometime 36-1 airs some "bikini shows" and the HR department gets offended.. LOL.

I could watch 36-1 all day! although most movies I've seen like 3 times already.

#20 ·
News Flash!

Analog 2, that broadcasts Mexico's channel five just change freq. to Channel 56 and viceversa, I hope this change goes towards Mexico's channel 5 begin transmitting in HD in Juarez, so hopefully we soon with have a digital 56-1.

A similar changed happened when Channel 2 was moved to 32, after that the 32-1 digital begin transmitting.

I think it's because the low band channels 2-7 are more difficult to change and transmit HD...

Crossing my fingers right now.

#21 ·

Quote:

News Flash!

Analog 2, that broadcasts Mexico's channel five just change freq. to Channel 56 and viceversa, I hope this change goes towards Mexico's channel 5 begin transmitting in HD in Juarez, so hopefully we soon with have a digital 56-1.

A similar changed happened when Channel 2 was moved to 32, after that the 32-1 digital begin transmitting.

I think it's because the low band channels 2-7 are more difficult to change and transmit HD...

Crossing my fingers right now.

The problem is, there's been so much electrical noise added over the years that channels 2-6 are not considered ideal channels for DT. Plus with the wavelength being what it is, you need a larger antenna or a fully outstretched set of rabbit ears to get it, and even then on analog it can look fairly grainy. WBBM CBS 2 in Chicago is a case in point -- its DT is on channel 3 and some viewers are having all sorts of problems with it. Which is why WBBM and many other U.S. stations, given the choice, will be moving out of that band.

#22 ·
Yes that's true Here in EL Paso analog Channels 2 and 5 from Juarez look terrible, they have a lot of snow. Also with my HDTV antenna, analog channels 7 and 9 look terrible as well, not that I watch the analog versions.

I figured that channel 56 would change channels before DTV Day, and there would be no broadcast on 56, since it's on one of the channel numbers that are going to be auctioned off before 2009. Are you sure that channel 56 isn't having technical difficulties, because I remember that once analog channel 32 had difficulties, and they started transmitting on channel 2 for a day or so until they fixed the problem. Also on that day the Digital Channel was still working, and the the reception of analog channel 2 looked almost as good as the digital channel.

According to COFETEL there aren't any new digital TV channels in Juarez, but the website might not have been updated yet. Hopefully Televisa channel 5 or XHJUB will start broadcasting Digitally soon. I'd be OK with either of them broadcasting in HD since XHJUB shows some shows from Canal De Las Estrellas, But I would prefer Channel 5 since I want to see El Pantera in HD. In some of my many Hate Mails to Televisa, about the problems with the HD on Channel 32, I remember Asking them when They were going to start Broadcasting channel 5 Digitally in Juarez.

#23 ·
I could be a little ethnocentric in my views but..... My wife is Latin she watches a small amount of Spanish shows, so occasionally I will sit down for a few minutes just to chuckle.

My question??? Why would they want to broadcast anything in HD other than soccer, the quality is so poor I think it would just make bad look worse? Wouldn't the money be better spent on possibly one or two more SD cameras so the shows could change angles rather than panning all the time, or proper set lighting. Personally I think it would be like giving Spielberg a 100 million dollar budget for an episode of Sesame Street.

I would like to reiterate I'm not trying to offend anyone just my .02$

#24 ·
I don't like soccer though, except international official tournaments (FIFA sponsored).

Other than the 2006 world cup, I never seen another soccer game in HD, no even MLS on ABC or ESPN HD.

Last 2 tournaments all were stretch-o-vision (SOV), I understand the one in Venezuela (America Cup), but the one in the US? (Gold Cup) c'mon!.

Also all basketball, football, etc that's on HD in american channels gets rebroadcasted by mexican channels as 480 SOV. (except the superbowl)

Yeah the 2-6 channels really suffer either analog or digital, channel 2 always looks crappy to me and channel four had a lot of problems with its signal some months ago.

I just emailed Televisa to see if it has plans for Chanel 5 HD, I will love to see the SOS show in HD.

#25 ·
So I'm assuming that channel 56 looks good, and channel 2 looks bad, is this true. If you search the FCC for TV Stations close to EL Paso it shows some applications for DTV stations in Juarez.

They are:

So you might want to search these digital channels during the next couple of days to see if they start broadcasting either Televisa Channel 5 or XHJUB. I figure they're testing their equipment to broadcast on a digital frequency close to 56. So, 50, 57, or 58 might be your best bet for a new Digital channel. I'd give it a couple of days maybe even a week.

#26 ·
My best bet is 57-1 to broadcast Mexico's channel 5. 45 could be used for channel 44, but I don't think they have any HD programming, however they could use standard SD like Univision and Telefutura..

BTW I can't get Telemundo SD in my area, I think it's too far, it's broadcasted from Las Cruces, but I can get analog 48 just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.