Biloxi, MS - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 79 Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jersey,

Read post #27. Seems that Axiom, also in Biloxi, is having some issues pulling in Mobile and New Orleans. It seems the secret to getting the channels clear is location..location..location. I'm in Lyman, just below Saucier and have the luxury of altitude (135' above sea level). Using the mclapp design, I was able to pull in New Orleans at about 40-70% strength with a 20db booster.
With the antenna pointed towards NO, I could occasionally pick up a couple Mobile stations. I can only assume that if I point the antenna East, Mobile would be picked up clearly.

I'm guessing your luck will also be dependant on where you will be living and have the antenna mounted. When looking for a place to live, take a close look at the surrounding trees and where you could mount an antenna. If it looks like you have a clear view East, towards Mobile, you may be lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

I was told that Dish Network would begin local into local service for the Biloxi/Gulfport market today. Any dish subscribers out there that can confirm this? Also, I was told by DirecTV that they would begin offering locals on June 16th.
post #33 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLOX View Post

I was told that Dish Network would begin local into local service for the Biloxi/Gulfport market today. Any dish subscribers out there that can confirm this? Also, I was told by DirecTV that they would begin offering locals on June 16th.

Yes, you are correct.

Check your address here for locals:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/local/default.aspx

WLOX was put up on 119 in SD recently:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/...=E14_SBA14.jpg

BILOXI, MS ABC-WLOX 13 6520
NEW ORLEANS NBC-WDSU 6 6522
BILOXI, MS PBS-WMAH 16 6524
NEW ORLEANS CBS-WWL 4 6521
BILOXI, MS FOX-WXXV 25 6523

STATEWIDE STATIONS

Congratulations! This address is eligible for Statewide Channels.
Statewide Stations
Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
Mississippi Statewide PBS-WMPN 29 9276
post #34 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM

What about DirecTV?
post #35 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy L View Post

What about DirecTV?

Read two posts up.
post #36 of 79 Old 06-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Aww crap...sorry!
post #37 of 79 Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM

DirecTV local TV update. I have it now and have been enjoying it. Occasionally though (not weather related) the local station WLOX (ABC) will go out. I still have a OTA HD antenna hooked up to my TV's and when I switch to the antenna, WLOX comes in. Seems like the signal processing for WLOX, through DirecTV, might need some tweaking.

Also, (yes, it is a common problem with both Dish & DirecTV satellite TV) whenever a strong storm rolls over, the signal is lost. But switching over to the TV antenna brings WLOX and WXXV (Fox 25) clear.
post #38 of 79 Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM

I live in Vancleave across Highway 57 from The Shed near I-10. Directv gives us stations from Biloxi (ABC and FOX) and stations from New Orleans (NBC, CBS, and CW) but I would like to get some Mobile stations with an antenna. I have an indoor RCA flat model that does great for Biloxi locals and WKRG (CBS 5) but is hit or miss with WEAR (ABC), WPMI (NBC), and WFNA (CW) from Mobile. I would like to try an outdoor antenna to see if it would be better and maybe try moving my service address to New Orleans DMA for more channels. Has anyone tried the Terk TV44 model that clips to the dish? Since I'm in military housing I had to mount my dish in the backyard and I can't install a tall antenna to the roof (I wish), so it's only 6 feet off the ground and it has a SWM 3 lnb, could I just feed through the lnb or is it more complicated than that?

Here is a TVfool reception report of my location.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17af90ce353a
post #39 of 79 Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 AM

Sometime this Spring (they are staying tight lipped about it), WLOX will launch CBS via digital subchannel. I haven't gotten word on what subchannel yet, hopefully it's 13-3. They are trying work out details with the cable and satellite providers for carriage. Right now WKRG is the preferred CBS station on Cableone HD-wise with WWL in SD, while the satellite providers both have WWL for CBS in HD. I think the reasoning behind it is Hattiesburg gaining a third network affiliate (WHPM-Fox 23) and it's the easiest network to schedule syndicated programming since CBS schedules most of the daytime schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_uJV...f8FUAAAAAAAKAA
post #40 of 79 Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't see them dropping Bounce since it's a Raycom-backed startup. So they are going to try to fit ABC, CBS, both in HD, plus Bounce? That is going to look like crap.

Or if CBS is SD only, will that spell the end of WWL HD for satellite viewers and WKRG HD for cable viewers?
post #41 of 79 Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM

post #42 of 79 Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Does the market get NBC from New Orleans and Mobile like they do CBS?
post #43 of 79 Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM

^Yes, from WDSU-TV in New Orleans and WPMI-TV in Mobile.
post #44 of 79 Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the Biloxi market is getting local feeds for both missing networks now whether they like it or not!
post #45 of 79 Old 03-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Here's a short excerpt since it wouldn't allow me to post a link

Cable One vows not to drop channels

By KAREN NELSON

BILOXI -- Cable One told the Sun Herald on Thursday even though WLOX-TV is adding a CBS network affiliation and channel, the cable service has decided not to bump CBS channels it carries from Mobile and New Orleans.
We believe we have the space to accommodate WLOX's request to add WLOX-CBS to our lineup, said Scott Randall, general manager for Cable One in Biloxi. We have no plans to drop any broadcast channels.
That includes WKRG in Mobile and WWL in New Orleans, he said.
Last week, a Cable One official explained how carrying three CBS affiliates could divide advertising revenue and would not be considered beneficial.
And Randall said Cable One's plans are not final, but reiterated the company does not now plan to drop any channels.
post #46 of 79 Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Here is a link to the full version of the article from the Sun Herald above.
post #47 of 79 Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Isn't it possible for a station to exercise some sort of exclusivity clause that would force cablecos to drop distant networks? I'm thinking that even if they have the room to show three NBCs and three CBSes that they will be forced to drop the distants anyway.
post #48 of 79 Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM

At the very least, I would expect the local affiliates to exercise their right to have duplicate syndicated and network programming blacked out on cable.
post #49 of 79 Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 AM

Also WWXV-FOX 25 will carry NBC on 25.2 starting in JULY....This begs the questions will Wlox-CBS 13.2 and WXXV -Nbc 25.2 Be in SD or HD??? Both of these channels are currently broadcasting in SD so I imagine a lot of upset Cableone/direct subscribers if they have their HD affiliates replace with an SD channel. Dont matter to me as I get all my locals (Wlox-Abc 13 , Whlt-Cbs 22, Wxxv-Fox 25 and Wdam-Nbc 7 on OTA in HD plus 2 of those in SD on Dish network.
post #50 of 79 Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

According to a post on the Mobile TV section here, WLOX 13.2 CBS is is SD.

Ouch.
post #51 of 79 Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Ouch how? Is dual HD, so both look terrible, the preferred method?

Besides, there is nothing surprising about it. Raycom is not doing dual HD anywhere that I can recall.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #52 of 79 Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Ouch how? Is dual HD, so both look terrible, the preferred method?

Besides, there is nothing surprising about it. Raycom is not doing dual HD anywhere that I can recall.

- Trip

Ouch to the people who may wind up losing all HD access to CBS (and later NBC) because of this.

Or will cable and satellite offer this in SD but WWL/WKRG in HD still?
post #53 of 79 Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I would imagine they'll be feeding HD by fiber to cable and satellite.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #54 of 79 Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I would imagine they'll be feeding HD by fiber to cable and satellite.

- Trip

According to WLOX's FAQ on their website, they should be running WLOX CBS in HD on channel 457 for Cable One subscribers in Biloxi-Gulfport.

DirecTV has unlocked channel 390 (CBSEHD...WCBS New York) for the time being for Biloxi-Gulfport subscribers. Since WLOX is already on Channel 13, I would imagine Channel 14 would be for WLOX, but that is up to DirecTV, since they don't do hyphenated locals, and if they carry subchannels, they usually just make each subchannel carried one digit higher than the main channel, at least from my past experience.

Dish and UVerse have not commented on carriage of WLOX-CBS.

Now that WLOX is up and running with CBS, have the sateliite companies already dropped WWL from their systems?
post #55 of 79 Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

Now that WLOX is up and running with CBS, have the sateliite companies already dropped WWL from their systems?

Yep the morons in charge have pulled WWL, so now not only do we have the pleasure of reprogramming all SP's to 390, but then we'll get to do it all over AGAIN once they put WLOX CBS wherever the hell they decide to put it, whenever they get around to putting it up. How f'n stupid do you have to be to pull a channel that is adjacent to, and also the LEGAL significantly viewed network for a part of the DMA just to substitute in a channel from a market over a thousand miles away. In turn COMPLETELY upsetting everyone's SP's not only once, BUT TWICE!. The people in charge of this locals crap are the stupidest bunch of morons ever placed in charge of anything TV related.

Oh and then I'm sure we'll have the great pleasure of doing this **** all over AGAIN when WXXV NBC goes live.

Of course this from the same morons that have NEVER even attempted to provide the LEGAL, FCC designated significantly viewed, CBS and NBC channels out of Mobile, for Jackson County. Even though they've been on DirecTV, in HD, for years, and have been on Jackson County's craptastic cable system, regardless of what name it was under, since there has been CATV available in Jackson County.
post #56 of 79 Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Racer I understand your frustration on the locals on satellite issue. I've never understood why DirecTV wasn't more progressive about which channels they offer. Some of it's due to the signals being on out of market spot beams, some of it's probably due to some rules that are unique to satellite, but some markets like Biloxi should still have access to significantly viewed locals since Biloxi, New Orleans and Mobile are probably all on the same spot beam!

When I lived up the road in Grenada (between Memphis and Jackson) we didn't have ANY locals at all because they didn't offer the Greenwood market, which at the time only had ABC, CBS and PBS. NBC came from Tupelo, Jackson and/or Memphis on cable, and Fox, My Network TV and CW were all piped in from elsewhere or cable-only. Most folks up there either did without or the installers lied and got people Columbus (SD only) or Memphis/Jackson (HD) locals.
post #57 of 79 Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer88 View Post

Yep the morons in charge have pulled WWL, so now not only do we have the pleasure of reprogramming all SP's to 390, but then we'll get to do it all over AGAIN once they put WLOX CBS wherever the hell they decide to put it, whenever they get around to putting it up. How f'n stupid do you have to be to pull a channel that is adjacent to, and also the LEGAL significantly viewed network for a part of the DMA just to substitute in a channel from a market over a thousand miles away. In turn COMPLETELY upsetting everyone's SP's not only once, BUT TWICE!. The people in charge of this locals crap are the stupidest bunch of morons ever placed in charge of anything TV related.

Oh and then I'm sure we'll have the great pleasure of doing this **** all over AGAIN when WXXV NBC goes live.

Of course this from the same morons that have NEVER even attempted to provide the LEGAL, FCC designated significantly viewed, CBS and NBC channels out of Mobile, for Jackson County. Even though they've been on DirecTV, in HD, for years, and have been on Jackson County's craptastic cable system, regardless of what name it was under, since there has been CATV available in Jackson County.

From what I'm seeing, it seems that new retransmission agreements with the local stations must include a clause that excludes carriage of SV channels. At one time, the Metrocast systems in Calhoun, Pontotoc, and Union counties in North Mississippi carried WREG (CBS Memphis), WHBQ (Fox Memphis), WPTY (ABC Memphis), and WLMT (CW Memphis). The first casualties happened when WPTY and WLMT were dropped. Finally, WHBQ and WREG have been dropped. This leaves WMC as the only out of market station on the system. Check out this link to read about it. http://www.metrocast.com/retransmission.cfm

I think the days of SV channels are coming to an end, even on cable. Retransmission agreements are making sure of that.
post #58 of 79 Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

According to WLOX's FAQ on their website, they should be running WLOX CBS in HD on channel 457 for Cable One subscribers in Biloxi-Gulfport.

I Still Got WWL On Dishnetwork. No idea when Dish will add WLOX-CBS no biggie for me . I'm getting WKRG-Mobile loud and Clear in HD via my OTA. WLOX Put CBS on 13.2 which is in SD so far on Antenna, 457 In HD on Cableone and HD on Direct.
post #59 of 79 Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM

OH FFS!!
Was just checking my to do list, and NCIS wasn't in there for Tuesday. Looked around and now the MORONS! have turned WWL back ON, and taken down 390-CBS. But even crazier NYC 22 IS set to record from 390......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable what a complete and total screw up this has become.

As far as the SV thing goes, CBS and NBC from Mobile is, and has always been, the only option since the time that TV has been available in the area. At least prior to all this stupid WLOX/WXXV nonsense. I think the NOLA stuff takes over somewhere around halfway across the "boot heel", but for the eastern half, or thereabouts, it's the Mobile market for those networks.
post #60 of 79 Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:

A new CBS station has begun broadcasting in your area. We're working to add this channel by the end of the month and we can no longer broadcast WWL from New Orleans. If you previously received WWL you should be able to view CBS programming on Ch 390

......and the end of the month has now come and gone....not even up in test mode yet...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page