Biloxi, MS - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 79 Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone,

You might be interested to know that WPMI-NBC out of Mobile, Alabama has been sending Cableone their High Definition feed since April 2007. WPMI finished their direct fiber optic connection back in April so this eliminated any issue with the weak signal. They also gave Cableone permission to send both the SD feed (which we have been getting for years) AND they HD feed. Yet, Cableone still has not given us the High Definition Channel.

Here is some contact information for Cableone and local reporters. If you want this HD Channel (especially for football), send them an email:

webmaster@cableone.net

http://www.cableone.net/contact/Loca...t=local_office

Local reporters who might help contact Cableone about the issue:

mbell@sunherald.com
lholder@sunherald.com

I was going to try an antenna to pick up the feed and I still might but given this situation, we should get this channel directly from Cableone.

This is also for discussion of OTA.

My understanding is people in our area still have difficulty picking up the NBC HD feed either from New Orleans or Mobile.

Jay Foster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 09-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Finally a Biloxi thread.

Supposely DTV is finally going to offer local channels for the ocean springs/biloxi/gulfport/long beach market. We shall see.
post #3 of 79 Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdski View Post

Finally a Biloxi thread.

Supposely DTV is finally going to offer local channels for the ocean springs/biloxi/gulfport/long beach market. We shall see.

If that happens, that might get me to switch from Cable. I'm tired of waiting to get NBC in HD along with other channels. What does the feed from DTV look like in HD?

Jay Foster
post #4 of 79 Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I know you are using the 4228 to get the signal but are you in Biloxi? How high up is your antenna?

Jay Foster
post #5 of 79 Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I spoke with Cableone today, they are trying to get HD for the Saints game tomorrow. If you live on the Gulf Coast and want the game in HD, give them a call at 228-374-5900 and encourage them to turn it on for the game.

I want it in HD!

Jay Foster
post #6 of 79 Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

What type of antenna does a person use for the McLain area or Leaskville or Lucedale.
Have been unable to receive most hdtv channels. I think I need a new antenna or add
on. What do the people think? Wayne
post #7 of 79 Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 AM

All you people ready? We haven't heard from you nearly as much as we had through the Hattiesburg thread. Anything going on on the coast?
post #8 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WLOX has asked to kill 13 and light up 39 permanently, if DT-39 fixes the problems they're having with 13.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9 of 79 Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 AM

So they plan to go back to 39? Kinda surprised. I figured going to 13 with such low power was going to cause problems. I warned them in a email a few weeks ago. They acknowledged that it didn't look to good then..
post #10 of 79 Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Wish they would hurry up the wife is going crazy without ABC
post #11 of 79 Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They have to wait for FCC approval.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #12 of 79 Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM

WLOX said on the news that they are going to switch back on Monday, June 29.
post #13 of 79 Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansRacing View Post

So they plan to go back to 39? Kinda surprised. I figured going to 13 with such low power was going to cause problems. I warned them in a email a few weeks ago. They acknowledged that it didn't look to good then..

One of our stations in Baton Rouge, WAFB, is on 9 at 5kw! You can already tell how well that worked out for them. I emailed them and basically got the thing of it's my antenna. Sorry, try again bucko...
post #14 of 79 Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Yes, WLOX will be going back to channel 39 Monday morning at 9 am. It turns out that it was not a good decision on our part to go back to VHF. I have received calls from as far away as Wayne county that were receiving us fine. But for viewers along the coast, especially in Hancock and Jackson county, reception was from lousy to non-existent... especially for those with indoor antennas.

It was not our intent to make it more difficult to receive our signal and I offer my apology to those who were without reception for the last two weeks.

So tell everybody to rescan those TV's and converter boxes next Monday!

John Armstrong
post #15 of 79 Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It's great to hear the station listening to the customers and not treating the OTA guys as "whatever". That's the feeling I get from WAFB...I guess since they are on DishNetwork, DirecTV (SD & HD), and the local cable systems.
post #16 of 79 Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 AM

Hey John,

I guess that phone bank WLOX had for the switchover must have been loads of fun?

Here's some numbers I have:
Before and after the switch I was getting a 100% signal from WLOX 19 miles out from the tower on my VHF and UHF outdoor antennas. One of the indoor antennas had a hard time with the vhf signal I ended up getting it up to around 80%, before 6/12 it was near 100%.

Some of my Outdoor Gear for testing:
22ft - XG91 Antenna - UHF (100%) non amped *Pre 6/12*
5ft - CM4228HD Antenna - UHF/VHF - (95%) through the preamp. *post 6/12*
17ft - AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 VHF Antenna -100% through the preamp *post 6/12*
CM 7777 Preamp
Over 100ft RG6 cable.

Cory
post #17 of 79 Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansRacing View Post

Hey John,

I guess that phone bank WLOX had for the switchover must have been loads of fun?

Here's some numbers I have:
Before and after the switch I was getting a 100% signal from WLOX 19 miles out from the tower on my VHF and UHF outdoor antennas. One of the indoor antennas had a hard time with the vhf signal I ended up getting it up to around 80%, before 6/12 it was near 100%.

Some of my Outdoor Gear for testing:
22ft - XG91 Antenna - UHF (100%) non amped *Pre 6/12*
5ft - CM4228HD Antenna - UHF/VHF - (95%) through the preamp. *post 6/12*
17ft - AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 VHF Antenna -100% through the preamp *post 6/12*
CM 7777 Preamp
Over 100ft RG6 cable.

Cory

Just for the heck of it, I assembled a Clear Stream CS5 antenna this morning to try it out. It is an outdoor antenna strictly designed for channels 7 - 13 VHF. Holding it up against a north facing second floor window (here on DeBuys Rd), I scanned my TV. It paused for several seconds on 13, but then moved on. It did pick up channel 25 (48) though.
post #18 of 79 Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM

When Antenna's Direct was at Best Buy a few months I got one of the Clear Stream 2 antennas. To really get everything I had to use the CM 7777 preamp. The Clear Stream 2 was able to pull in WKFK 5ft off the ground 80%. That tower is 16miles away and is only 0.3kw on channel 7. It can pull WEAR 3 80 miles (70%) and WKRG 70 miles (95%) on it again, 5ft off the ground. None of that is possible without a preamp.

Near the bottom of this page it shows that the Clearstream 4 on 13 "outperforms rabbit ears"

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/TemporaryPage.html

It also shows that the ClearStream antennas really don't have a lot of gain for channels 7-13.

Cory
post #19 of 79 Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 AM

13 is now gone and 39 is now back on the air.
post #20 of 79 Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM

This may not be the correct forum to ask this question; if not please direct me to the right one.
I have a house on Cook Road. I currently have Directv. There are no "local" channels in the area. I want to be able to pick up WLOX and Fox and if possible CBS and NBC. Any suggestions on what kind of antenna I need. Either indoor or outdoor.
Thanks!
post #21 of 79 Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfu53 View Post

This may not be the correct forum to ask this question; if not please direct me to the right one.
I have a house on Cook Road. I currently have Directv. There are no "local" channels in the area. I want to be able to pick up WLOX and Fox and if possible CBS and NBC. Any suggestions on what kind of antenna I need. Either indoor or outdoor.
Thanks!

Where is Cook Road?
post #22 of 79 Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay, so here's the deal.

WLBT is requesting to move from channel 7 (1276' 10.3 kW ND) up to channel 30 (2047' 535 kW ND), and wants to do it both permanently and immediately.

WDAM is requesting to move from channel 28 (419' 79 kW DA) down to channel 7 (508' 75 kW ND), and wants to do it both permanently and immediately.

I'm hopeful it helps reception of both stations.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #23 of 79 Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM

The FCC just approved our channel allocation change from 13 to 39. Now we need to apply for the change to our license.

POST-TRANSITION DTV TABLE OF ALLOTMENTS, 47 C.F.R. SECTION 73.622(I),
BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI. Changed station WLOX-DT'S channel from 13 to 39.
Proceeding terminated. (Dkt No. RM-11548 09-125 ). Action by: Chief, Video Division, Media Bureau. Adopted: 09/03/2009 by R&O. (DA No.
09-2016). MB
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-09-2016A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-09-2016A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-09-2016A1.txt
post #24 of 79 Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 PM

The FCC's Broadband Czar suggests buying back some of the OTA spectrum, leaving stations with just one SD channel. I doubt that this gets off the ground, but it scares me that they are even thinking about it...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/articles/2009/10/21/daily.4/

What do you think about it?
post #25 of 79 Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Insane...do they forget that in a lot of markets DirecTV and DishNetwork get their LiL signals via OTA?

I can't see this happening, but it does scare me. I know it would piss off a lot of folks who are enjoying their HD via OTA without having to subscribe to cable or satellite. Hell I enjoy my OTA HD even with having HD locals via satellite... love being able to record 3 HD streams at one time.
post #26 of 79 Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Hey fellow Coastians! Just found this thread. I just moved into a new subdivision in North Gulfport, just off HWY 53, and it won't get Cable One for at least a year. So I have DirecTV and the typical BS with trying to get OTA channels.

I bought a couple HDTV antennas from Wal Mart and get WLOX at full signal strength and Fox at 80%. In fact, last night in the terrible lightning storm that passed over us, WLOX came in without any problems.

So what will I need to pull in CBS and NBC from Mobile or New Orleans? SInce this is a nicer neighborhood I don't want unsightly antennas visible so I'm thinking the attic may be the best choice. Lot's of room there so I can build a long distance antenna if I can get my hands on a good design.

Just want to see what others here are doing to pull in the CBS and NBC channels.

Finally, are all the TV broadcast channels now in the UHF channels? If there are no channels in the VHF (1-13) band, no sense wasting money on an antenna for that.
post #27 of 79 Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy L View Post

Hey fellow Coastians! Just found this thread. I just moved into a new subdivision in North Gulfport, just off HWY 53, and it won't get Cable One for at least a year. So I have DirecTV and the typical BS with trying to get OTA channels.

I bought a couple HDTV antennas from Wal Mart and get WLOX at full signal strength and Fox at 80%. In fact, last night in the terrible lightning storm that passed over us, WLOX came in without any problems.

So what will I need to pull in CBS and NBC from Mobile or New Orleans? SInce this is a nicer neighborhood I don't want unsightly antennas visible so I'm thinking the attic may be the best choice. Lot's of room there so I can build a long distance antenna if I can get my hands on a good design.

Just want to see what others here are doing to pull in the CBS and NBC channels.

Finally, are all the TV broadcast channels now in the UHF channels? If there are no channels in the VHF (1-13) band, no sense wasting money on an antenna for that.

I'm in Biloxi and built a 4-bay bowtie using the design from mcclapp mounted on a 30 ft wooden pole. I also have a Winegard HD8800 at about the same height. With the direction they are pointed (toward Mobile) I can get WEAR (ABC) and WKRG (CBS) from Mobile...but unreliably. At night sometimes WVUE (Fox 8), WWL (CBS), KGLA (Telemundo), and Fox10 (WALA) come in out of New Orleans...also unreliable. One (and only one!) night I could get WUPL (myNTV), WPMI (NBC), and WPXL (Ion) from New Orleans. However, reception where I am is unreliable altogether, even WLOX (just 23 miles away!). The only station I can get consistently is WKFK out of Pascagoula...14 miles away. Still trying to figure it all out. But hopefully with the right setup this will give you an idea of what channels you could possibly get.
post #28 of 79 Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM

^^ Thanks!

Seems I have the advantage of altitude since I'm about 135 feet above sea level. Just found out my workplace IT guy installed a WineGuard (flat looking) antenna (paid about $50), mounted on a metal roof, and is getting New Orleans channels very clearly.

I'd still like to try out a home-made design.
post #29 of 79 Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Hello Mississippi coast folks! Just as an FYI, DirecTV has announced that it will be launching HD locals for the Biloxi/Gulfport market in June.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P6030044
post #30 of 79 Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 PM

I am moving to Keesler Air Force Base in July. I am a huge OTA reception hound and I was wondering if the FCC's reception map for WKRG in Mobile accurate and are there other stations I can pull in from Biloxi besides WLOX and WXXV? I will have directv so I don't have the luxury that the cable subscribers do having multiple markets.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page