San Angelo, TX - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 219 Old 09-28-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know many of you in San Angelo have your new HDTVs and can't watch our local stations in HD (especially favorite sports in HD) because our local stations (KSAN, KLST, KTXS/KTXE, and KIDDY) are enjoying a free ride since we are not putting any pressure on them. Its time to do it. If Abilene stations can broadcast in HD, then San Angelo can too. I hope many of you here in the city will respond.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 219 Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

I know many of you in San Angelo have your new HDTVs and can't watch our local stations in HD (especially favorite sports in HD) because our local stations (KSAN, KLST, KTXS/KTXE, and KIDDY) are enjoying a free ride since we are not putting any pressure on them. Its time to do it. If Abilene stations can broadcast in HD, then San Angelo can too. I hope many of you here in the city will respond.

Just talked to an engineer at KIDY. They are planning on having HD on channel 19 in time for the superbowl if they can get the new equipment in and installed in time. The feed will be given to Suddenlink for them to put on cable in San Angelo immediately upon the installation.

I am waiting for a call back from the engineer at KSAN/KLST (same company) about their HD plans. They already are digital on channels 16 and 11. I expect HD to be coming soon from them.

The real problem will be KXTE. I talked to an engineer at KXTS which runs KXTE and they have no definite time for implementation of digital or HD. Since KXTE is a low power transmission, it is not mandatory for it to be digital on the 2/17/09 deadline.
However, KXTS is planning on putting in a new transmitter in at the very first of 2009 that will double their power from 250,000 watts to 500,000 watts. This may make it possible to pick up KXTS (channel 20) with a deep fringe UHF antenna in San Angelo.

Btw, forget about getting Dish or Direct TV. No station in San Angelo will provide the waiver needed to get New York or L.A. feeds.
roger55 is offline  
post #3 of 219 Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update:

The engineer at KSAN/KLST called me back and said that both will have HD in the next year. KSAN will be first and probably be mid to late year 2008 and KLST could possibly be as late as the February 2009 digital deadline.
roger55 is offline  
post #4 of 219 Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks roger55 for the quick reply. It will be amazing if Kidy does it. That may put pressure on the others to do it even faster. I've been in communication with KTXS/KTXE and I've been arguing that they are not (or at least) should not be a San Angelo local channel since they broadcast none of San Angelo news/weather. The Station manager has not responded yet. And you are correct, my waiver has been denied 4 times already. To appreciate football in HD, I had to buy NFL ST from DTV.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #5 of 219 Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

Thanks roger55 for the quick reply. It will be amazing if Kidy does it. That may put pressure on the others to do it even faster. I've been in communication with KTXS/KTXE and I've been arguing that they are not (or at least) should not be a San Angelo local channel since they broadcast none of San Angelo news/weather. The Station manager has not responded yet. And you are correct, my waiver has been denied 4 times already. To appreciate football in HD, I had to buy NFL ST from DTV.

I am going to try an pick up the HD signal (on 20.1) from the KTXE transmitter with a deep fringe antenna. I ordered this today:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=TD-91XG

The KXTE tower is about half way between Sweetwater and Abilene and is exactly 66.5 miles from my house in San Angelo. Their tower is over 900 feet tall and sits on a hill at 2480 in elevation. I think that will give me a unobstructed line-of-site to that tower.

It may be after the first of the year before I can get it put up and try it out.
I'm pretty darn busy because of the holidays.
I will keep you posted. Wish me luck, I think it's going to be the only way for us to get ABC in HD any time soon.

Roger
roger55 is offline  
post #6 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I am going to try an pick up the HD signal (on 20.1) from the KTXE transmitter with a deep fringe antenna. I ordered this today:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=TD-91XG

The KXTE tower is about half way between Sweetwater and Abilene and is exactly 66.5 miles from my house in San Angelo. Their tower is over 900 feet tall and sits on a hill at 2480 in elevation. I think that will give me a unobstructed line-of-site to that tower.

It may be after the first of the year before I can get it put up and try it out.
I'm pretty darn busy because of the holidays.
I will keep you posted. Wish me luck, I think it's going to be the only way for us to get ABC in HD any time soon.

Roger

All the best with that. Keep me posted. Is it possible to pick some of Abilene HD channels with that antena?
Have you considered this (From http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818)

the deep-fringe perscription is as follows,

1 Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna
1 Wade-Delhi VIP-306 VHF antenna
1 Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp
1 Channel Master 9521a rotator
30'+ antenna height from the ground

install carefully, avoid bodily injury

scan your digital tuner.

sit back and enjoy all-channel analog and digital reception

Do NOT substitute!

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #7 of 219 Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The yagi style Terrestrial antenna I'm getting has a higher gain and a better f/b ratio than the Channel Master 4228. It also has a 80+ mile range versus the 60 miles of the CM. The CM is advertised as "near fringe".
I don't need a rotor or VHF antenna since my intention is to only pick up the HD signal from the KTXS tower with this antenna. I am happy to wait for the other 3 local channels (only a couple of months for FOX) to be transmitted locally and I can get another inexpensive less directional antenna for those.
Also, I don't need a preamp since I am only going to feed one tv with the signal.

Yes, I'll try to get the Terrestrial as high as I can without killing myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

All the best with that. Keep me posted. Is it possible to pick some of Abilene HD channels with that antena?
Have you considered this (From http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818)

the deep-fringe perscription is as follows,

1 Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna
1 Wade-Delhi VIP-306 VHF antenna
1 Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp
1 Channel Master 9521a rotator
30'+ antenna height from the ground

install carefully, avoid bodily injury

scan your digital tuner.

sit back and enjoy all-channel analog and digital reception

Do NOT substitute!

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818

roger55 is offline  
post #8 of 219 Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since I donot know much about antenas, I hope you'll get KTXE and Fox will deliver. I personally so impatient and had it with our local channels (but what choices do I have?).

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #9 of 219 Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

The yagi style Terrestrial antenna I'm getting has a higher gain and a better f/b ratio than the Channel Master 4228. It also has a 80+ mile range versus the 60 miles of the CM. The CM is advertised as "near fringe".
I don't need a rotor or VHF antenna since my intention is to only pick up the HD signal from the KTXS tower with this antenna. I am happy to wait for the other 3 local channels (only a couple of months for FOX) to be transmitted locally and I can get another inexpensive less directional antenna for those.
Also, I don't need a preamp since I am only going to feed one tv with the signal.

Yes, I'll try to get the Terrestrial as high as I can without killing myself.

Roger, I'd use a preamp if the coax run is over 50 feet. You should be able to get KTXS DT20 (ERP of 530KW eventually) and KRBC DT29 (ERP of 1MW), and maybe others. Try to get the antenna up at least 30 feet.

I don't live in San Angelo any more but my parents and brother do, so I keep up with the TV scene there. I used to live in Abilene for a while also, and worked for the FM radio station that transmits off of the side of the KTXS tower. It is 1318 feet above the average terrain.

I now live in Port Neches, just Southeast of Beaumont. My XG91 with 30 db preamp on 30 foot mast can pick up all the Houston HD stations in the evening. Distance from my house to the antenna farm in Stafford is over 100 miles.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out. (In checking your profile, we might have gone to high school together. Keep in touch.)

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #10 of 219 Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

Roger, I'd use a preamp if the coax run is over 50 feet. You should be able to get KTXS DT20 (ERP of 530KW eventually) and KRBC DT29 (ERP of 1MW), and maybe others. Try to get the antenna up at least 30 feet.

I don't live in San Angelo any more but my parents and brother do, so I keep up with the TV scene there. I used to live in Abilene for a while also, and worked for the FM radio station that transmits off of the side of the KTXS tower. It is 1318 feet above the average terrain.

I now live in Port Neches, just Southeast of Beaumont. My XG91 with 30 db preamp on 30 foot mast can pick up all the Houston HD stations in the evening. Distance from my house to the antenna farm in Stafford is over 100 miles.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out. (In checking your profile, we might have gone to high school together. Keep in touch.)

This is good news. I will wait and see what happens with your antena. If it works, I am installing it. Do you know/reccommend any local installers who can install that antena? how much would they charge? Please update me with your results. Thanks.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #11 of 219 Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

Roger, I'd use a preamp if the coax run is over 50 feet. You should be able to get KTXS DT20 (ERP of 530KW eventually) and KRBC DT29 (ERP of 1MW), and maybe others. Try to get the antenna up at least 30 feet.

I don't live in San Angelo any more but my parents and brother do, so I keep up with the TV scene there. I used to live in Abilene for a while also, and worked for the FM radio station that transmits off of the side of the KTXS tower. It is 1318 feet above the average terrain.

I now live in Port Neches, just Southeast of Beaumont. My XG91 with 30 db preamp on 30 foot mast can pick up all the Houston HD stations in the evening. Distance from my house to the antenna farm in Stafford is over 100 miles.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out. (In checking your profile, we might have gone to high school together. Keep in touch.)

Thanks. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the tip about the preamp. Cable length was something I hadn't considered. I will certainly have over 50 ft. of cable. More like 100-120 ft. since 30 ft. will be in the air. I'll try it without a preamp first however.

I have an existing 15ft wood light pole on the side of my house that I am going to put the antenna on. I figure I'll attach a metal mast to the pole and get it up another 15ft. I don't have those supplies yet. I saw that Radio Shack has 10 foot masts, maybe I can put 2 of those together. Any suggestions on that I would appreciate. If I had a 20 mast, that would give me 5 ft of overlap on the wood pole for it to attach. Like I said before, it will be sometime in January before I get a chance to work on getting it together.

Btw, I graduated from Flowing Wells High School in Tucson, AZ which is appropriate since I am a Hydrologist. Got my degree from the University of Arizona. Been in Texas since 1985.

Kdom20, Sorry I don't know anyone in town that installs antennas. I'm sure if you ask around you will find someone. I would think Radio Shack would be a good place to ask.


Roger
roger55 is offline  
post #12 of 219 Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

Thanks. I will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the tip about the preamp. Cable length was something I hadn't considered. I will certainly have over 50 ft. of cable. More like 100-120 ft. since 30 ft. will be in the air. I'll try it without a preamp first however.

I have an existing 15ft wood light pole on the side of my house that I am going to put the antenna on. I figure I'll attach a metal mast to the pole and get it up another 15ft. I don't have those supplies yet. I saw that Radio Shack has 10 foot masts, maybe I can put 2 of those together. Any suggestions on that I would appreciate. If I had a 20 mast, that would give me 5 ft of overlap on the wood pole for it to attach. Like I said before, it will be sometime in January before I get a chance to work on getting it together.

Btw, I graduated from Flowing Wells High School in Tucson, AZ which is appropriate since I am a Hydrologist. Got my degree from the University of Arizona. Been in Texas since 1985.

Kdom20, Sorry I don't know anyone in town that installs antennas. I'm sure if you ask around you will find someone. I would think Radio Shack would be a good place to ask.


Roger

Roger, with that length of coax, a preamp is a neccesity. The Radio Shack 30db model is pretty good, gain adjustable, but somewhat noisy. The Channel Master CM7777 is slightly less gain but extremely quiet, so overall performance may be a little better. It is highly recommended by other members of AVS Forum. It is a VHF/UHF preamp. It should work very well with the XG91. Even though it is a UHF antenna, it pulls in the high VHF (7-13) channels pretty well, also.

I actually plan to get one and raise my antenna height to 45 feet next month to hopefully fix my dropout problem (surrounded by very tall oak trees) when aimed at Houston.

Let me know when you start to put the XG91 together, I'll give you a few tips. Check Amazon.com for the best price.

BTW, KTXS and KRBC will stay on their current UHF channels after the transition date.

On a personal note, I grew up in San Angelo and graduated from Central in 1971. You can probably figure out who I am. My little brother ran for mayor in the last election.

Kdom20, for antenna installation you might check with Sears, Lowes, or some of the other big chain hardware stores. Many of them have crews to do many types of installations.

Good Luck!

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #13 of 219 Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Member
 
natlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You all give me hope about the network HD for San Angelo. I'm on Suddenlink, but have been getting increasingly impatient with Suddenlink regarding the lack of HD channels and the NFL Network debacle. Does anyone have any info on when Suddenlink is going to ramp up its HD content?? How do you all feel about cable vs. satellite?
natlib is offline  
post #14 of 219 Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by natlib View Post

You all give me hope about the network HD for San Angelo. I'm on Suddenlink, but have been getting increasingly impatient with Suddenlink regarding the lack of HD channels and the NFL Network debacle. Does anyone have any info on when Suddenlink is going to ramp up its HD content?? How do you all feel about cable vs. satellite?

I am with Suddenlink also in San Angelo.
I have talked with them about HD and the engineers at the 4 stations that carry ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

Fox's plans are to have HD in time for the Super Bowl and already have arrangements to give the feed to Suddenlink immediately.

NBC and CBS will have HD in S.A. within the next year. NBC will be HD sometime in the latter half of 2008 and CBS will be after that but should be no later than February of 2009. The engineer in charge of both stations did not know about Suddenlink's intentions on carrying their signals. Suddenlink didn't know either when I called them.

ABC has no plans for HD at the present. This is our biggest problem and why I am going to try to pull in the ABC affiliate out of Sweetwater/Abilene with a deep fringe antenna.

Suddenlink told me that they will be adding other HD channels to their lineup after the first of the year. I did not get specifics.

You cannot obtain the local channels or the 4 major networks via satellite. No station in San Angelo will issue the necessary waiver needed to do that.
roger55 is offline  
post #15 of 219 Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I am with Suddenlink also in San Angelo.
I have talked with them about HD and the engineers at the 4 stations that carry ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.

Fox's plans are to have HD in time for the Super Bowl and already have arrangements to give the feed to Suddenlink immediately.

NBC and CBS will have HD in S.A. within the next year. NBC will be HD sometime in the latter half of 2008 and CBS will be after that but should be no later than February of 2009. The engineer in charge of both stations did not know about Suddenlink's intentions on carrying their signals. Suddenlink didn't know either when I called them.

ABC has no plans for HD at the present. This is our biggest problem and why I am going to try to pull in the ABC affiliate out of Sweetwater/Abilene with a deep fringe antenna.

Suddenlink told me that they will be adding other HD channels to their lineup after the first of the year. I did not get specifics.

You cannot obtain the local channels or the 4 major networks via satellite. No station in San Angelo will issue the necessary waiver needed to do that.

I donot know much about suddenlink, but had Dish network in the past and currently have Directv with the NFL Sunday Ticket (almost all sunday games are in HD). DTV now has the most HD channels (more than 75, I think), but do not offer San Angelo locals at all (not even in SD). When I signed with them about 4 months ago to take advantage of the FREE NFL ticket, I was told that a waiver is very likely to be given, but guess what the 4 San Angelo stations denied us 4 times (I basically gave up). I am using a rabbit ear which my wife hates and the reception of those channels is very bad.

If Roger's antena works (and I hope it will pick all Abilene HD channels), that is exactly what I will do.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #16 of 219 Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post
Roger, with that length of coax, a preamp is a neccesity. The Radio Shack 30db model is pretty good, gain adjustable, but somewhat noisy. The Channel Master CM7777 is slightly less gain but extremely quiet, so overall performance may be a little better. It is highly recommended by other members of AVS Forum. It is a VHF/UHF preamp. It should work very well with the XG91. Even though it is a UHF antenna, it pulls in the high VHF (7-13) channels pretty well, also.

I actually plan to get one and raise my antenna height to 45 feet next month to hopefully fix my dropout problem (surrounded by very tall oak trees) when aimed at Houston.

Let me know when you start to put the XG91 together, I'll give you a few tips. Check Amazon.com for the best price.

BTW, KTXS and KRBC will stay on their current UHF channels after the transition date.

On a personal note, I grew up in San Angelo and graduated from Central in 1971. You can probably figure out who I am. My little brother ran for mayor in the last election.

Kdom20, for antenna installation you might check with Sears, Lowes, or some of the other big chain hardware stores. Many of them have crews to do many types of installations.

Good Luck!
As an added note Roger, you may also be able to pick up Abilene's CBS affiliate KTAB DT-24. They are scheduled to be HD and full power at 1 million watts by February of 2008. They may already be there because their DT transmitter is already listed by the FCC as a licensed station at full power. They, also, will stay on channel 24 after the transition date.

KLST in San Angelo is not scheduled for HD full power upgrade until October 2008 according to Nexstar's Construction Permit application exhibit. They, too, will remain on channel 11 after the transition date.



Keep us posted.

 

Nexstarattachment_exh.pdf 218.0224609375k . file

 

FCC-DTVfinal channels.pdf 295.693359375k . file

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #17 of 219 Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

As an added note Roger, you may also be able to pick up Abilene's CBS affiliate KTAB DT-24. They are scheduled to be HD and full power at 1 million watts by February of 2008. They may already be there because their DT transmitter is already listed by the FCC as a licensed station at full power. They, also, will stay on channel 24 after the transition date.

KLST in San Angelo is not scheduled for HD full power upgrade until October 2008 according to Nexstar's Construction Permit application exhibit. They, too, will remain on channel 11 after the transition date.



Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, the KLST info is consistent with what the engineer told my on the phone.

Talking about KTXS, I may be on the weaker side of their directional antenna in San Angelo. And, the DT signal might be weaker than I was told. But I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I found this web page and it has graphics on the directional antennas of KXTS:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=KTXS

According to the license, it looks like they have license for only 26.44 KW and application for 530 KW.
The engineer told me they were 250KW now and 500KW next year. So I am confused. Maybe he was talking about the analog signal which is 316KW.

The directional graphic for the license application shows that San Angelo will be on a strong side of the directional antenna.

Any thoughts?

Roger
roger55 is offline  
post #18 of 219 Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We will be waiting. All the best.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #19 of 219 Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

Thanks for the info.
Yes, the KLST info is consistent with what the engineer told my on the phone.

Talking about KTXS, I may be on the weaker side of their directional antenna in San Angelo. And, the DT signal might be weaker than I was told. But I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I found this web page and it has graphics on the directional antennas of KXTS:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1218659.html

According to the license, it looks like they have license for only 26.44 KW and application for 530 KW.
The engineer told me they were 250KW now and 500KW next year. So I am confused. Maybe he was talking about the analog signal which is 316KW.

The directional graphic for the license application shows that San Angelo will be on a strong side of the directional antenna.

Any thoughts?

Roger

Roger, the KTXS engineer probably mis-spoke. He may have meant to say 25 KW instead of 250 KW.

You are correct in saying that San Angelo will be on the strong side of their new directional antenna at 530 KW. Their normal service viewing area extends almost to San Angelo according to the service contour map (see attached).

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1218659.html


http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/polarplot...52&p360=0.856&

This map is representative of the "guaranteed" reception area without interference. A good antenna system like you are planning ought to pull it in with no problem.

Exciting isn't it!!

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #20 of 219 Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

Roger, the KTXS engineer probably mis-spoke. He may have meant to say 25 KW instead of 250 KW.

You are correct in saying that San Angelo will be on the strong side of their new directional antenna at 530 KW. Their normal service viewing area extends almost to San Angelo according to the service contour map (see attached).

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1218659.html

This map is representative of the "guaranteed" reception area without interference. A good antenna system like you are planning ought to pull it in with no problem.

Exciting isn't it!!

Yes it is.
Any thoughts on whether I have any chance on picking up the weaker signal until they get this new transmitter up and running?
roger55 is offline  
post #21 of 219 Old 12-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

Yes it is.
Any thoughts on whether I have any chance on picking up the weaker signal until they get this new transmitter up and running?

Probably not, Roger. Their power is just too low and San Angelo is on the (very) weak side of the current directional antenna.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DS610242.html

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/polarplot...81&p360=0.781&

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #22 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up with some time this weekend that I didn't think I was going to get.

I got my antenna installed:

Picture

The wood pole is 17 feet and the mast gets it up another 14. So, the antenna is 31 feet off the ground. (It's a little wavy in the wind, I hope I don't have any trouble in a heavy wind.) I really don't want to have to put up guy wires.

Well, I have it pointed to Abilene and I am not getting any digital (or analog) signals from there.

I get KLST-DT(11-1), DSAN-DT(16-1)and KIDY-DT (19-1) all perfectly.

I also receive 3,6 and 8 VHF channels fine. (KSAN, KIDY and KLST) but, nothing on 12 for KTXE-LP.

Well, I thought it was a longshot to get KXTS-DT out of Sweetwater/Abilene until they increase their power. (My antenna is pointed more towards Abilene right now)
But, I was really hoping to get KTAB. (Maybe they don't have that high-power signal yet.)

I haven't gotten a preamp yet. But, I am thinking that a preamp is not going to get me from no signal to a good signal. I would think it would be more likely to help a weak signal look a little better.
roger55 is offline  
post #23 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turned the Antenna a few degrees more east and I got KTAB-DT (CBS) in HD.
Wow! this antenna is very directional.

The signal strength indicator on my TV is at about 25% so it is weak and it is occasionally dropping out. But when it is not dropping out, it looks perfect.

Well, now is the time to start thinking about a preamp. Also, I may still need to turn a few more degrees east.
I am drawing a line from the KTAB transmitter to my pole using the "ruler" tool on Google Earth. From that, I can get a pretty accurate line to where I need to be pointed.

The KTAB tower is about 10 miles further from my house than the KTXS tower is. So, now I am optimistic that when they get their new transmitter up and running I will be able to receive it.
roger55 is offline  
post #24 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I turned the Antenna a few degrees more east and I got KTAB-DT (CBS) in HD.
Wow! this antenna is very directional.

The signal strength indicator on my TV is at about 25% so it is weak and it is occasionally dropping out. But when it is not dropping out, it looks perfect.

Well, now is the time to start thinking about a preamp. Also, I may still need to turn a few more degrees east.
I am drawing a line from the KTAB transmitter to my pole using the "ruler" tool on Google Earth. From that, I can get a pretty accurate line to where I need to be pointed.

The KTAB tower is about 10 miles further from my house than the KTXS tower is. So, now I am optimistic that when they get their new transmitter up and running I will be able to receive it.

That is really encouraging. The networks usually increases transmit power on Sunday for football. Can you post a picture of the Antena? Keep us posted and thanks for the update.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #25 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Member
 
roger55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

That is really encouraging. The networks usually increases transmit power on Sunday for football. Can you post a picture of the Antena? Keep us posted and thanks for the update.

Sorry the link to the picture was bad. Try clicking on the link again. I've got it fixed.
roger55 is offline  
post #26 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

Sorry the link to the picture was bad. Try clicking on the link again. I've got it fixed.

Thanks. Any luck with other channels?

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #27 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post

I turned the Antenna a few degrees more east and I got KTAB-DT (CBS) in HD.
Wow! this antenna is very directional.

The signal strength indicator on my TV is at about 25% so it is weak and it is occasionally dropping out. But when it is not dropping out, it looks perfect.

Well, now is the time to start thinking about a preamp. Also, I may still need to turn a few more degrees east.
I am drawing a line from the KTAB transmitter to my pole using the "ruler" tool on Google Earth. From that, I can get a pretty accurate line to where I need to be pointed.

The KTAB tower is about 10 miles further from my house than the KTXS tower is. So, now I am optimistic that when they get their new transmitter up and running I will be able to receive it.

Roger, For digital signal, weak signal IS no signal. You either get it or you don't. (Not like analog.) GET THE PREAMP.

Go to www. tvfool.com and type in your address or go to the FCC TV query page and type in your latitude and longitude at the bottom of the page and it will tell you the exact compass heading (azimuth) to aim your antenna for all the stations.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #28 of 219 Old 12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

That is really encouraging. The networks usually increases transmit power on Sunday for football. Can you post a picture of the Antena? Keep us posted and thanks for the update.

The Networks have nothing to do with the local stations transmit power. But the stations usually do make sure that their transmitter output is "pushing the envelope" for their maximum licensed output.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
post #29 of 219 Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
kdom20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

The Networks have nothing to do with the local stations transmit power. But the stations usually do make sure that their transmitter output is "pushing the envelope" for their maximum licensed output.

mlmahon and Roger, I checked tvfool.com and based on my address KTAB and KRBC seems are out of the question because they are in the grey area (80 miles from my address). Comments? thanks.

Amani
kdom20 is offline  
post #30 of 219 Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
mlmahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Port Neches, TX
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdom20 View Post

mlmahon and Roger, I checked tvfool.com and based on my address KTAB and KRBC seems are out of the question because they are in the grey area (80 miles from my address). Comments? thanks.

To get TV fool to work you have to enter a very high antenna height of 100 to 200 feet before it will give you the distant stations. Also the numbers are for an average antenna. The XG91 antenna which is very high gain (16.7db) and very directional (narrow beamwidth of 25 degrees) will give much better performance than indicated. 80 miles is pretty easy for the XG91. Like I said before, my XG91 on a 30 foot mast with the noisy Radio Shack 30db preamp and 100 feet of coax is pulling in stations over 100 miles away.

Here's a link that gives a good comparison of UHF antennas

Enjoy.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

Also here's the link for the FCC TV Query Page I was talking about.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/tvq.html

As a bonus, here's a Google Earth plot of the Digital Stations for San Angelo and Abilene.
LL

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
mlmahon is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off